Sentencing and beyond- JA General Discussion #9

I'm really disappointed JM agreed to a disbarment. To me that shows he does have something to hide, and i do believe he got caught up in his 'fame' from the trial and took advantage of all the fans/crushes and attention he got. That saddens me. He was a very good prosecutor and others will lose out now. Thankfully this isn't affecting the appeal, however now you just never know what will happen in the future with JA. She got the satisfaction of feeling she ruined another life, although it was truly his own fault. Well, hopefully now he can write a REAL indepth tell all ... at least something good may come of it.

I am still trying to understand Juan's disbarment with his consent, and if and how it could affect JA's outcome. Maybe an attorney could chime in? (@AZlawyer ). See the final statement by JA's lawyer.

"I acknowledge that charges have been made against me. I have read the charges. I have denied the charges and continue to do so," read a portion of a statement included in court documents. "Nevertheless, I no longer desire to defend the charges but wish to consent to disbarment. My consent is not an admission."
"This judgment of disbarment effectively ends the pending discipline case against him," read a portion of a statement by State Bar officials.

Martinez didn’t immediately return a phone message seeking comment on the disbarment. His attorney, Donald Wilson Jr., said the disbarment “does not represent an admission of misconduct on his part nor can it be interpreted as an adverse judicial finding as to any of the allegations.”

Brian Foster, an attorney who provided legal analysis to FOX 10 during Arias' trial in 2013, spoke about the latest developments on July 17. "He fought this thing tooth and nail and when he realized he couldn't win, he finally consented and threw himself on his sword and said I will voluntarily surrender my license," said Foster.

Karen Clark, who is representing Arlas in legal ethics-related matters. She spoke on whether Martinez's disbarment will have any impact on future appeals for Arias.

"I can pretty much guarantee you it would be an issue that would be raised by a competent criminal appellate lawyer," said Clark.

Juan Martinez, ex-prosecutor known for role in Jodi Arias trial, has been disbarred

Hmmmm Maybe he will be writing a book about this whole debacle and try to clear his name publicly.

I'd read it!
animated-smileys-reading-002.gif.pagespeed.ce.MLlgzBqDmM.gif

Kiefer weighs in on this point...
-----
@michaelbkiefer·29m

Jodi Arias is preparing for Post Conviction Relief, the next step after appeal. Whether you think she is innocent or guilty of murder 1, what does it say about due process if both her defense attorney and her prosecutor have been disbarred over their actions in that trial?
---

I do wonder how JSS will proceed given the current situation though.
.She will most likely proceed with the guidelines/requirements stated in the PCR. The allegations within the MCOA should have no bearing on those requirements

.She will most likely proceed with the guidelines/requirements stated in the PCR. The allegations within the MCOA should have no bearing on those requirements

Yes; Kiefer as usual is off the beam, neither attorney was disbarred because of behavior during her trial so I don't see any question about her due process. I just wondered since neither "1st chair" attny is there any longer, if that would alter anything, but I suppose not since appellate attnys should be handling everything since the trial. I wish @Hope4More would drop by and give us the benefit of her knowledge in this area.

I am still trying to understand Juan's disbarment with his consent, and if and how it could affect JA's outcome. Maybe an attorney could chime in? (@AZlawyer ). See the final statement by JA's lawyer.

"I acknowledge that charges have been made against me. I have read the charges. I have denied the charges and continue to do so," read a portion of a statement included in court documents. "Nevertheless, I no longer desire to defend the charges but wish to consent to disbarment. My consent is not an admission."
"This judgment of disbarment effectively ends the pending discipline case against him," read a portion of a statement by State Bar officials.

Martinez didn’t immediately return a phone message seeking comment on the disbarment. His attorney, Donald Wilson Jr., said the disbarment “does not represent an admission of misconduct on his part nor can it be interpreted as an adverse judicial finding as to any of the allegations.”

Brian Foster, an attorney who provided legal analysis to FOX 10 during Arias' trial in 2013, spoke about the latest developments on July 17. "He fought this thing tooth and nail and when he realized he couldn't win, he finally consented and threw himself on his sword and said I will voluntarily surrender my license," said Foster.

Karen Clark, who is representing Arlas in legal ethics-related matters. She spoke on whether Martinez's disbarment will have any impact on future appeals for Arias.

"I can pretty much guarantee you it would be an issue that would be raised by a competent criminal appellate lawyer," said Clark.

Juan Martinez, ex-prosecutor known for role in Jodi Arias trial, has been disbarred

I can’t recall the status of JA’s appeal/post-conviction petitions. (I know there was at least one ruling affirming her conviction.) If the proceedings aren’t finished yet, JM’s disbarment will certainly be mentioned, but only in passing. The real issues will be (or have already been, depending on the status) his actual behavior in her case.

I don’t think think JA’s sentence will be overturned nor will she receive a new trial. These episodes of JM & his inappropriate behavior towards women at work began years before Arias and prosecutorial misconduct was mentioned quite extensively in their denial opinion as prevalent in several of Juan’s trials.
The alleged issue with the blogger was during the retrial phase. Arias has been convicted of first degree murder.
As for Karen Clark of course she would frame her response to Juan’s disbarment specifically to her client, the killer, and wrongly emphasized Arias as being a primary influence that prompted JM’s downfall. She is doing what she is being paid to favor her client Arias. The money may be coming from Aunt Sue’s appellate “trust”.
Imo the AZSC will decline to review her appeal then on to PCR when she needs to prove ineffective counsel or present new evidence that wasn’t available at trial time. Good luck with that. “Overwhelming evidence” of guilt...& we know the rest.
As for Juan I guess he figured why fight the disbarment when he was probably going to retire soon anyway. I just hope he doesn’t lose his retirement benefits which may have happened but we don’t know about that. Remember Montgomery spent $ out of the MCDA’s office budget for some of Juan’s Legal fees. Now Martinez is solely responsible for his own defense attorney fees. Juan probably said enough was enough.
Let’s all wish for Judge Stevens’ to stay healthy as she is the last remaining attorney involved in this case with a license now (not including Wilmott). I’m sure Judge Sherri is up for the challenge & will deny the killers request for PCR (but One never knows with judge Stevens as she basically granted any request from her defense team).
Then the killer will really need to step up her request for money for the appellate fund as she will have to pay a new defense lawyers fee to start over. The killer won’t have enough money to fund an appeal. Plus she is guilty as hell! There is no doubt she killed him & her pedophile accusations along with her entire self defense theory. She’ll be lucky if the money in her “fund” pays for copies of her court transcripts and an initial retainer fee.
Arias has no defense - she killed Travis in cold blood & it was premeditated.
I hope we hear from Hope4More soon for her opinion.

Last edited:
I only just learned of Juan's actions. Will this have any sway on her getting any kind of appeal?

I only just learned of Juan's actions. Will this have any sway on her getting any kind of appeal?
Juan's attorney, Donald Wilson Jr., said the disbarment “does not represent an admission of misconduct on his part nor can it be interpreted as an adverse judicial finding as to any of the allegations.” So I suppose an appeal attorney could argue that it does have merit in an appeal. I doubt that would go anywhere though.

I still love Juan as a lawyer and think he’s amazing at his job. All of it is so disappointing...very disappointing to say the least. I can separate the lawyer part of him from the rest and admire that aspect but it’s still so disappointing

He did write a book about the trial a few years back
Oh yes I know that. I’m meaning a book on his own legal troubles and perhaps a slant towards witch-hunt and his agreeing to being disbarred. The irony that both def and pros wound up being disbarred but agreeing to it is astounding. Think of the odds. Then poor det Flores young son dies during the devils trial. She truly is evil.

Tonight (Saturday) at 8:00PM on Lifetime:

Jodi Arias: Dirty Little Secret: Special Edition | Lifetime

Based on the disturbing murder trial that has captivated the nation, this film tells the story of Jodi Arias (Tania Raymonde,) a seductive 28-year-old aspiring photographer recently found guilty of killing her former lover Travis Alexander (Jesse Lee Soffer.) While investigating the violent killing, Mesa, Arizona, police retrieved a digital camera from Travis’ washing machine, revealing shocking images authorities claim Jodi took of their sexual escapades, as well as during and after his murder. Jodi pled not guilty and contends she killed Alexander in self-defense. Her subsequent trial has been grand theater, dominating the news as she testified in her own defense and offered explicit insight into the sex, lies and obsession that led up to Alexander’s murder.

Followed by: Jodi Arias: Cellmate Secrets at 10:03PM

Jodi
Arias: Cellmate Secrets' on Lifetime, promises unknown insights into the life of the infamous convict, Jodi Arias. It uses real-life footage, firsthand accounts, and dramatized segments to give viewers a scarring look into the personality of Jodi Arias and her life in prison.

Hmmmm Maybe he will be writing a book about this whole debacle and try to clear his name publicly.

I hate that Juan agreed to the disbarment. However, he will always be one of the very best prosecutors I've ever followed the past four decades. He will always rank at the very top prosecutors in my eyes. I feel blessed to have seen him in action, and not just in the JA case. Every one I've seen he was outstanding.

Juan doesn't need the hassle anymore. I think he decided to get on with his future.

Imo, Juan could write, and sell best selling books about all of the cases he's won over the decades. I would certainly buy every one of them.

While of course any appellate attorney will try to make this into something that gets the mad murderess a new trial it will be futile imo.

Jmho

Funny aside. My newsfeed just caught up to me about Juan's disbarment. So I come to WS to see the chat, learn about a new Arias prison photo, and go to ADOC site inmate search and my fingers, with no help from my brain, type in 281129 like it was yesterday. I need to evict that woman from my RAM or start charging rent.
Same here. My computers are heavily burdened with Jodi related stuff. Documents, photos, screenshots etc etc. On the bright side some of the Jodi groups are still quite active with surges in membership now and then. So I have no idea when it will die off completely

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCPstudy
Back