Sentencing and beyond- Jodi Arias General Discussion #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The obvious and heavy-handed attempt to humiliate Deanna was such a monumental backfire. They wanted her to squirm with shame. They wanted to make her look like a sinner, a "bad Mormon." If they could have pinned a huge scarlet A on her, they would have.

All they accomplished with these tactics was to make themselves even more despicable -- and make it abundantly clear that Deanna is a strong woman, she's not afraid to acknowledge and take responsibility for her mistakes, a woman who truly believes in her religion and a woman who has faith that redemption and forgiveness can be had by anyone who sincerely repents, learns from their mistakes, and mends their ways. That, I believe, makes her a "good Mormon." It also makes her the anti-Jodi.

Excellent observation and very well said. If Jodi was the one pushing this agenda it would be a good example of her 2-dimensional thinking, lack of genuine insight into the human condition, as well as lack of any appreciation for the concepts of forgiveness and redemption.

Attempting to humiliate Deanna was another despicable aspect of the DT case. I am pretty certain that the killer must have directed her DT to explore that route, and to me, another reason that JW & KN can never absolve nor redeem themselves for their tactics during the trial.
I just read a tweet from MDLR that stated JW was given the Attorney of the Year award for her work in the killer's trial. I haven't verified it yet. I would love to know who the people were that would determine Attorney of the Year...her peers?
As I have said prior, JW disappointed me immensely in her defense of the murderer, for many reasons. IMO, the way she phrased her questions was confusing, she was easily flustered, disrespected state witnesses (called DeMarte a bi@#h under her breath), tried to humiliate state witnesses to compensate for when JW didn't know her facts correctly. I can think of other instances but those are enough for now.
I felt very badly for Deanna and the questions she was asked and forced to answer. The DT should be ashamed of themselves for their treatment of Deanna.

Attempting to humiliate Deanna was another despicable aspect of the DT case. I am pretty certain that the killer must have directed her DT to explore that route, and to me, another reason that JW & KN can never absolve nor redeem themselves for their tactics during the trial.
I just read a tweet from MDLR that stated JW was given the Attorney of the Year award for her work in the killer's trial. I haven't verified it yet. I would love to know who the people were that would determine Attorney of the Year...her peers?
As I have said prior, JW disappointed me immensely in her defense of the murderer, for many reasons. IMO, the way she phrased her questions was confusing, she was easily flustered, disrespected state witnesses (called DeMarte a bi@#h under her breath), tried to humiliate state witnesses to compensate for when JW didn't know her facts correctly. I can think of other instances but those are enough for now.
I felt very badly for Deanna and the questions she was asked and forced to answer. The DT should be ashamed of themselves for their treatment of Deanna.

I agree. It amazes me how such attorneys can so easily toss aside morality and basic human decency in the name of their jobs, as if it's only a game and the only thing that matters is winning, besides the fact that winning could mean releasing a dangerous murderer among society, dismissing the damage done in the process as irrelevant. It's bizarre and repulsive by many basic standards.

* I know that's the popular opinion what JW said, but I still believe that Wilmott's comment (sigh: "what a btch") was just frustration at having to sort through all of her paperwork to find what Dr. DeMarte wanted to see. I honestly don't believe that comment was directed towards JdM herself. Other than that, though, I agree with everything you said.

But JW, "Atty of the Year"? That's laughable. Certainly not the BEST atty anyway. Best schlock atty? Yeah, I can see that.

snip
As I have said prior, JW disappointed me immensely in her defense of the murderer, for

Maybe the award (if there is one) came from Jenny's chapter of the Phoenix Association of Shrill Women.

The Arizona State Bar does give out awards, but they won't announce this year's recipients till the 26th of this month (MDLR involved in more leakage perhaps?), and, more importantly, there's just NO WAY Willmott deserves an ASB award. The description of the award for criminal defense practitioner basically rules her out of contention.

http://www.azbar.org/newsevents/convention/statebarannualawards
Tom Karas Criminal Justice Award

"The Tom Karas Criminal Justice Award is presented by the Board of Governors to a criminal defense practitioner who during his or her career has worked tirelessly to advance the principles of criminal justice by representing clients or the public with integrity, fairness, tenacity, creativity, brilliance and above all professionalism. The award was established in 2004, and the language was amended on March 17, 2006."

I agree. It amazes me how such attorneys can so easily toss aside morality and basic human decency in the name of their jobs, as if it's only a game and the only thing that matters is winning, besides the fact that winning could mean releasing a dangerous murderer among society, dismissing the damage done in the process as irrelevant. It's bizarre and repulsive by many basic standards.

Let me slightly edit that and see if it reminds you of someone and don't forget, not just criminals have some form of "disorder" or psychopathy or whatever you want to call it, there are plenty in society that just haven't crossed that line.

It amazes me how such people can so easily toss aside morality and basic human decency, as if it's only a game and the only thing that matters is winning, besides the fact that winning could mean becoming a dangerous murderer, dismissing the damage done in the process as irrelevant. It's bizarre and repulsive by many basic standards.

* I know that's the popular opinion what JW said, but I still believe that Wilmott's comment (sigh: "what a btch") was just frustration at having to sort through all of her paperwork to find what Dr. DeMarte wanted to see. I honestly don't believe that comment was directed towards JdM herself. Other than that, though, I agree with everything you said.

But JW, "Atty of the Year"? That's laughable. Certainly not the BEST atty anyway. Best schlock atty? Yeah, I can see that.

Have you considered the company she'd been keeping? I have no way to know for sure but I definitely don't see her having said that as outside the realm of reality... plus that is what I heard and I replayed it numerous times in disbelief.:thinking:

Agreed. Air, heat, food, a roof over their head, clean water... the list goes on. Jodi's basic needs will be met for the rest of her miserable life and she deserves no better.

BBM - That's much more than many in the world have, including North America.

Have you considered the company she'd been keeping? I have no way to know for sure but I definitely don't see her having said that as outside the realm of reality... plus that is what I heard and I replayed it numerous times in disbelief.:thinking:

Oh, I heard the same thing as you and was also surprised to hear her mutter such a thing in open court. You certainly make a valid argument. Maybe I should look at JW's comment in a different way. The Sparky Anderson way.

You see, MLB Hall Of Fame manager Sparky Anderson knew that the quickest way to get thrown out of a baseball game was to chew out an umpire in a face-to-face confrontation. So what would Sparky do if he was peeved at an umpire's call? He would go out to the pitcher's mound and unload his anger with the umpire to the pitcher, and out of ear-shot of the umpire himself. "That was a horesht call!" "Can you believe that son of a btch?" All the fans in the ballpark thought Sparky was giving the pitcher Hell, when in reality the anger was meant for the umpire. :D

So perhaps Wilmott unknowingly took a page out of Sparky's playbook and, while standing over at the overhead projector and looking away from Dr. D, knowingly called her a btch when it appeared as if her "what a btch" comment was simply her frustration at to having to sort through voluminous paperwork.

If so, that was nicely played. Perhaps JW is deserving of some sort of award after all. Aside from the "Best Schlock Atty." and "Best Shrill Voice Used in a Court of Law" awards, maybe JW should also be awarded the Sparky Anderson "Say One Thing And Mean Another" award. The Sparkie! :D

Circling back to the pitcher's mound... the pitcher would signal Sparky when the ump was on his way out to visit them. That signal would always let Sparky know when to cool his jets. :D

Let me slightly edit that and see if it reminds you of someone and don't forget, not just criminals have some form of "disorder" or psychopathy or whatever you want to call it, there are plenty in society that just haven't crossed that line.

It amazes me how such people can so easily toss aside morality and basic human decency, as if it's only a game and the only thing that matters is winning, besides the fact that winning could mean becoming a dangerous murderer, dismissing the damage done in the process as irrelevant. It's bizarre and repulsive by many basic standards.

Wow, absolutely. I really didn't see that when I wrote it but it fits perfectly. The DT displayed all the values and ideals of a psychopath during trial, with token back-pedalling during post-trial interviews to make it appear their hands were clean.

I...am...in...h*ll. I thought JM's cross examining of Miccio-Fonseca would be a delight after the endless droning on of this LaV sound-and-think-alike. So verbose and direct in her expertise of unusual sexual proclivities during Nurmi's direct exam, she is the opposite under Martinez, she can't remember, she can't read, she can't hear nor understand the question, or answer one in under a thousand words, she can't, she can't, she just can't. I love JM but this woman's testimony is driving me batty. 'We can get distracted if we focus on the sexual behaviors instead of the dynamics...' should be the title of her book about her participation in this retrial, should she ever pen one. Arg.

I...am...in...h*ll. I thought JM's cross examining of Miccio-Fonseca would be a delight after the endless droning on of this LaV sound-and-think-alike. So verbose and direct in her expertise of unusual sexual proclivities during Nurmi's direct exam, she is the opposite under Martinez, she can't remember, she can't read, she can't hear nor understand the question, or answer one in under a thousand words, she can't, she can't, she just can't. I love JM but this woman's testimony is driving me batty. 'We can get distracted if we focus on the sexual behaviors instead of the dynamics...' should be the title of her book about her participation in this retrial, should she ever pen one. Arg.

I could not even get through Fonseca and Juan she was so disrespectful. Reminded me of Schultz from Hogan's Heros. "I know Nuthin"

Her obvious duplicitousness makes it obvious that she values her own professionalism less than she values her ability to use it to defend an outdated and biased militant feminism.

If she herself puts such a low value on her professionalism, who am I to disagree?

"Dr" Fonseca was undoubtedly the worst witness in the retrial. All the DT "expert" witnesses reminded me of Abbott & Costello's "Who's on first" routine.
Someone on FB researched MDLR's tweet and couldn't find that JW had won any award. Unless, as said above, it is MDLR leaking info again to maintain relevancy.

Also per twitter re: JW award: The AZ state association for public defense attorneys just wrapped up their annual conference yesterday. Said the board's majority is from Phoenix, so maybe this is the source of this award? 'They' also note that she has decided to leave the public defender's office so maybe a thanks&goodbye was part of the decision? Whatever it was, it can't be for professionalism or legal acumen...

According to the Super Duper site this award came from-get this-JAII. They supposedly took a vote in their 'vent' room and came up with this prestigious award. Boggles the mind, doesn't it.

According to the Super Duper site this award came from-get this-JAII. They supposedly took a vote in their 'vent' room and came up with this prestigious award. Boggles the mind, doesn't it.

Actually, it clarifies things considerably.

Why do I have the sudden desire to create the 'Bald Spot of the Year' award? Oh, I don't know, I'm just mean I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radnewal