Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: the girls leaving the mall early -- Suppose the girls left early because they were nervous or scared, and wanted to get away from somebody?

Nobody ever came forward to state when the girls were seen leaving Wheaton Plaza. The last sighting of them IN the mall was between 1 and 2PM that Tuesday, 25 March 1975.

There were a few witnesses who claimed to have seen them walking home from the mall on Drumm Ave, but the estimated times vary and the reports of those sightings are somewhat questionable.

The girls had planned to be home by about 3 PM, but never made it.

Sorry I've not posted in awhile be cause I've been very busy.I know I've said this before but it's my instinct thinking this,and it is based on the Austrian girl kept prisoner for a long time.

As I said the teen/teens who said he saw them walking home,he knew them so I wouldn't discount the report/reports.As for the report by Mr.Mann he came forward in 2005.As SCSleuther posted above with his questions.,and I'll add a few."Why wait until 2005?"
The man still lived there as of 2005 as Richard posted.That would make Mr.Mann at least 30 at the time and at least 60 in 2005 and at least 65 today.As SCSleuther stated Coming forward now was it a desire to be in the paper only?Or was it guilt?Guilt be cause he is possible terminally ill?Is Mr.Mann still alive today?

I'd be curious to know if his home or on his property he had a bomb shelter builded.This would be a great secret place to keep the girls in secret and sadly keep the bodies.
Does Mr. Mann have an alibi?

The area sense 1975 has exploded with construction so sadly if they were buried elsewhere there is a good chance with all the construction done sense that they were lost. for good.
Also again I believe it was a person the girls knew,or two people.For two girls being taken while if they didn't know the person even at gun point one person would still need to bind them before driving off.That takes time.Even having one do the other first.You would be stuck there in view.With a busy mall parking lot some one would notice.Thus why two people is better.Then you could drive off while the other covers them and binds them.Not impossible being two people aka Elizabeth Smart.
It is still why though I believe it was some one and if two people some ones they knew.
Possible along the way to home.Either a local living in the neighbor hood or some one known and knowing the neighbor hood.

Also most serial abductors pedophiles have characteristics they prefer.We all do really.For example I love redheads strawberry blonds or golden blond ladies.Also serial abductors/pedophiles don't stop at just one time.Sure it could have been some one passing through the area,but not knowing the area well would make escape a problem.Not impossible but difficult.
Again why I think it was a person/persons they knew.Or at the least lived in the area

So again I ask any one in the neighbor hood that went away to college or was home from college at the time?If so where did they go to college and where do they live now?In either case any missing girls with blond hair or just missing at the least?

At the time young people were still under the mentality seen and not heard,abductions un heard of and under reported if they did happen beyond the local area.
So as a result any local DC area missing girls especially with blond hair that police shrugged off as runaways especially before this case?

If not then clearly none accured.So again why I ask who owned a bomb shelter in the neighbor hood?Also be cause of the Austrian girl kept so long secretly.This would explain why no apparent abductions matching the description happened sense.Pedophiles can't control themselves and keep from doing this.

Either way it's been 35 years and I really think it's time for the police to post all the evidence let fresh eyes look at it.fresh eyes of people who can think outside the box
and see connections where most would not.

...As I said the teen/teens who said he saw them walking home,he knew them so I wouldn't discount the report/reports.

As for the report by Mr.Mann he came forward in 2005.As SCSleuther posted above with his questions.,and I'll add a few."Why wait until 2005?"
The man still lived there as of 2005 as Richard posted.That would make Mr.Mann at least 30 at the time and at least 60 in 2005 and at least 65 today.As SCSleuther stated Coming forward now was it a desire to be in the paper only?Or was it guilt?Guilt be cause he is possible terminally ill?Is Mr.Mann still alive today?......

In either case any missing girls with blond hair or just missing at the least?

At the time young people were still under the mentality seen and not heard,abductions un heard of and under reported if they did happen beyond the local area.
So as a result any local DC area missing girls especially with blond hair that police shrugged off as runaways especially before this case?

If not then clearly none accured....

Either way it's been 35 years and I really think it's time for the police to post all the evidence let fresh eyes look at it.fresh eyes of people who can think outside the box
and see connections where most would not.

---------------------

You make some good points and observations. I do not have all the answers that you ask, but do have a few.

The Lyon girls were seen by a number of different people the day they disappeared, and some of those witnesses knew them from the neighborhood or from school. There was a boy who saw them near the Easter Bunny display around the same time their brother Jay saw them. There was "Jimmy" and his friend, who saw them talking to the Tape Recorder Man near the Orange Bowl Pizza place. Then there was the boy named David who stated that he saw them walking between the mall and their home. Then "Over 15" and his driving buddy claim that they saw the girls walking near Drumm and Devon.

The problem seems to be time discrepancies and lack of connection between the witness sightings. It is true that an eye witness sighting would seem to be a much stronger bit of evidence if the witness actually knew the girls and could positively place them at one place or another. There were a great number of other witnesses who came forward after the girls went missing and these folks thought that they had seen the girls here or there - but none of those later sightings were by people who had actually known the girls. All were by people who thought that they had seen the girls based on their photos in the newspapers and on TV.

Mr. Mann was 80 years old in 2005 and therefore was 50 at the time the girls went missing. He would be 85 today. I verified through phone directories that he did indeed live in the house at Drumm and Devon both in 1975 and in 2005. I have no idea if he had a bomb shelter there. It is possible that he made a statement in 1975 to police regarding seeing the girls, but if so, that information was never given to the press. The first time I ever saw a mention of him and his story was in 2005 in a news paper article (see the Newspaper and Link thread for the text).

Regarding other missing girls, you should check out the thread here on Possible Connections. There are quite a few children who went missing before and after the Lyon sisters, and I have listed many of those cases in that thread. In fact there were a few who went missing in nearby Pennsylvania that same summer.

It is true that sometimes predators seek victims of a certain "look" or description. You might see some similarities in the victims listed in the "Possible Connections" thread. In particular, look at ages, heights, weights, hair and eye color.

I had time to think on this today so here goes.
A teen David and a buddy say they saw the sisters near Drumm and Devon.Also Mr.Mann says he saw them and waved.Now Richard points out there is a problem with times and Mr.Mann says this in a news paper report in 2005.Richard also pointed out to me it is possible Mr.Mann did inform the Police in 1975 and they never mentioned it to the press at the time.Which is a good possibility sense the police always keep something out that only the perp would know.

Now lets say these accounts are accurate,and they just might be.Then in that case the girls were on their way home at the time.As a result I still say it was some one in the neighbor hood or some one the girls knew.Here is why and I actually thought of this today.Who ever took them most likely one of the sisters was the primary target,and they knew this was their only chance to grab the sister they wanted.The second sister being there could be used as leverage.however this is difficult to do in broad day light and there would be a good chance one would still scream at first.So I don't really think the other was taken as leverage.It doesn't really matter if they were taken in the mall parking lot or neighbor hood.No one noticed.That means who ever took them did not stand out as odd and the fact two girls were going with them.Thus we return to some one the girls knew.An unknown person could jump out grab one toss in the car drive off quickly leaving the un wanted sister behind.Sure the one left behind would run for help but by the time police got there the perp and other sister long gone.However if the person who did this was well known easily identified by both then both would need to be kidnapped.Being well known by the sisters there would be no fear getting in a car or walking into a house on their way home.

Another thought I had.Though I admit it's highly against the statistical odds of what makes up a serial killers or serial pedophiles.I don't know if any one has suggested this yet.There are exceptions to every rule of thumb.Even now I don't think any here have asked this or even thought of it be cause it is so outside the statistics.

What if the perp isn't male but female?
It would explain as well why no one noticed them going with some one.Two girls and a women no big deal.It would explain how both at one time were taken so quietly.They would go with a women more likely than a man especially if they knew the person.

Hello everybody, I'm new posting on this thread. Having read through all the comments, I have a few questions/observations..

I believe that the manner in which the girls were abducted can tell us something about what type of vehicle was utilized. For example, if it was a quick grab/shove them in the vehicle, a van would be much easier in which to conceal any struggle/yells for help....

drain pipes that were mentioned struck me as a potential hiding place for perp(s) to wait. If the woods had a streambed, and it sounds like they did, couldn't the girls have been bound and gagged and concealed until nightfall, when they could have been moved out of the woods.

.... I wonder if that wooded area the girls walked through was that sort of place, or if it wasn't really a possibility as there was nowhere to hide the girls. Its not like the perp could walk them out in the light of day.

...I think it happened on their way home. I don't think they would willingly get in the car with a stranger, especially the TRM. Just because they talked to him once would not have caused that level of trust. Even kids that age have gut instincts. I think it was either an ambush, or somebody they knew. To me, ambush makes the most sense.

...If they knew the routes, they could find just the spot. If TRM had an accomplice, it wouldn't have been too difficult to pull it off, and then hit the open road.

--------------------
Mountain Mama,

Welcome to the Lyon Sisters Featured Case. You make a lot of good observations and comments.

As you mention, an ambush does seem to be a good possibility. While the perpetrator's approach could have been either forceful or friendly (or a combination of the two) it is likely that he did set up in an area which would have facilitated an abduction.

Regarding the wooded area; March in Maryland is the time of year when there is almost no vegetation at all - apart from a few daffodils. Leaves are all off the trees and flattened down, and no new leaves have grown out yet.

The woods in question is a rather small area and it is pretty much surrounded by houses. The brush in those woods would not have afforded one much cover in which to hide in March. I do not believe that there were any deep streambeds or gullies. In fact, today most of those woods are lots with houses on them and fences keep kids from traveling the same route the girls took in 1975.

What you say about someone knowing the area is very appropriate because there would have been some good places to set up an ambush - assuming that someone knew where kids walked and what short cuts they took. For example, an excellent place would be at the ends of streets where kids had to travel.

In this specific instance, one excellent place to wait for the girls would have been at the intersection of Drumm and McComas which is where the wooded trail area begins. It is a place where a car could sit without being seen by as many homeowners as other places along the route.

Another good place might be near where trails or roads abut the perimeter road of the Wheaton Plaza parking lot. And yet another would be somewhere on Jennings Ave where the wooded path emerged near the girls' home (this, however, would have required really specific information about the Lyon girls).

Some of those places would be known by a local who was very familiar with the area, having walked or driven it himself many times. But an experienced preditor might also be able to identify those ambush spots as well, simply by observation over a few days. And he would not have to watch ONLY the Lyon girls, but could simply observe where a LOT of kids traveled.

The use of a motor vehicle of some sort is a very likely consideration. True, it could have been someone who lived in one of over 40 houses along the route, but let us just consider an ambush for this discussion. A van or work truck would be the best choice, but almost any vehicle would do.

Requirements for choosing an ambush area:

- The perpetrator would want to set up in a good area - or choose an area to be cruising through at the right time.

- The place should be somewhat isolated, and it would need to be in a place where the girls would approach the vehicle very closely.

- The perpetrator would need a somewhat clear view of any approaching interference or witnesses.

- He needs a quick way out - either with the girls, or to escape in the event of a problem with his plan. In any event, he does not want to hang around there long to avoid arousing suspicion or unwanted attention.

- He might actually have two places scouted out as potential sites: one as the primary abduction point, and another as a secondary or fall-back site in case something is wrong with the situation at the primary site.

This choice of two sites might also be employed as a "one-two" punch in his scheme. For example, the perpetrator may have set up in the parking lot behind Wards in order to watch children entering and leaving the mall. Rather than attempt an abduction in that parking lot, he may have seen a potential victim or victims, watched to see if any others were close behind, and then left to intercept them at the secondary site.

My personal feeling is that he would have tried to trick the girls into his vehicle with some story or line. It would be more of a challenge and source of satisfaction to him if he could get them without any struggle. AND... if he failed to convince them, he could always abort the attempt and try again another day or with another potential victim that same day.

Of course, he could also transition from this tactic to one of force if he wanted to. But if so and the girls get away, he has failed and is now known, described, and wanted by the police. Using force means taking a BIG risk.

Your comments about an abductor possibly inserting himself into the investigation/search are noted. Even if this guy did not take part in the search for the girls, he most likely read the newspapers very carefully over the next several days and weeks. He may have watched news reports with great interest and may have gone to places to eavesdrop on what people were saying about the crime.

I hope something comes from this lead. I live in the area and used to work in Montgomery County about 10 years ago, near this shopping center. I passed it daily... I think of this case often and wonder what happened to those two girls.

Belimom,

Welcome to the thread and thanks for your comments. Thinking about this case and keeping the girls' memory alive means a lot toward a future resolution of their case.

I think about Sheila and Katherine all year long, but especially when March rolls around and we get those first nice spring days. They are heavy on my mind tonight and I think back to how I remember 1975. I turned 8 that spring, and remember how that time felt, the songs, TV shows and how people were. I recently came across a picture of me from Easter 1975, and was thinking how that was right after they vanished but I had no idea of their story of course. I was also thinking how I have never seen other pictures of the sisters, just the one school picture of each of them on all the missing websites. I wish there were more to see. I have no new ideas to add, just wish (as we all do) there would be some news on the case.

I think about Sheila and Katherine all year long, but especially when March rolls around and we get those first nice spring days..... I was also thinking how I have never seen other pictures of the sisters, just the one school picture of each of them on all the missing websites. I wish there were more to see....

The photos of the girls which are seen on so many websites today, and which were used to make the age progressions, appeared very early in the search for the girls in March 1975, and were widely shown in posters, on TV and in many newspapers over the years. I believe that they were school photos taken for that school year (1974-75).

I do have another picture of the two girls together. It appeared in the Washington Post newspaper 24 April 1975 Page A-1. It was probably taken within a few months of their disappearance. Unfortunately it was not a very sharp image and taken from a snapshot.

In the picture, the two girls are standing together smiling and facing the camera. Sheila is on the left of the photo and seems to be several inches taller than Kate, who is on the right. Their shoulders are touching. Sheila has her glasses on in the photo.

Both girls have what appears to be lightweight jackets or cardigan type sweaters on over knit shirts. So the photo was probably taken in late fall or early spring.

Sheila has a very dark jacket or sweater open in the front, showing a zip up shirt of a lighter color (possibly with narrow vertical stripes) with a sort of short stand-up collar, low on her neck. Her hair is parted in the middle and goes back over her ears - possibly tied behind in a pony tail, as her hair is very close to her head.

Kate is wearing a light colored sweater, open in the front, over a white or very light colored button up shirt with a wide, pointed collar. Kate's hair is parted over her right ear and it lays across her head and covers her left ear. The hair on the right side goes behind her right ear. It does not appear to be tied back, but falls straight down behind her shoulders.

The subtitle of the article is "Vigil for Lyon Girls Distresses Family" and the caption under the photo reads: "Police still hunting Sheila (left) and Katherine Lyon." The article mentions that the next day would mark one month since the girls went missing.

It is the only other photo I have ever seen of the two girls, and I have only seen it in this one newspaper article.

Is there anybody out there who may have seen TRM, or TRM talking to the Lyon Girls, or, the girls as they were walking home 25Mar75? Please, if anybody knows anything about the case, join up with Websleuths, & let's all discuss it. Some one out there holds the missing pieces to the puzzle!

Is there anybody out there who may have seen TRM, or TRM talking to the Lyon Girls, or, the girls as they were walking home 25Mar75? Please, if anybody knows anything about the case, join up with Websleuths, & let's all discuss it. Some one out there holds the missing pieces to the puzzle!

Thanks Jeb. I agree with you. Someone knows something about this case which has never previously been reported. OR It is also possible that something WAS reported, but overlooked/forgotten by investigators over the years.

Of probably several thousand persons at Wheaton Plaza that day, only a relatively few came forward to say that they had seen the girls and only two boys said anything about seeing the Tape Recorder Man on that day.

It is encouraging to hear from people, even so many years later, who remember that day and the events surrounding it. Since posting Sheila and Kate's story on the internet over ten years ago, quite a few people have come forward with information regarding the case. Particularly people who were children at the time.

Even a seemingly insignificant bit of information could be the piece of the puzzle which links other pieces together.

As another newbie to this discussion, I need to first state that it is with great humility that I offer a long post about a subject that many of you, most especially Richard, have spent untold hours of your lives trying to make sense of: the disappearance of Sheila and Katherine Lyon. Particularly because, after having read almost every post in the Lyon Sisters forum over the past month, re-reading, imagining, percolating it in my brain, I’ve arrived at what is a distinctly minority position: that it was in all likelihood a neighborhood friend-of-the-family who got them into his home under pretext, and then, well, unimaginably horrible things happened to those two innocent girls.

But now that I’ve given away my conclusion, I’ll step back and try to explain how I reached this point, though I’m certainly not trying to present this as some great insight I’ve come to that others have missed. Most of my thoughts are recycled from the work others here have done long before I’d ever heard of the Lyon sisters, and even theories and posts that I’ve ultimately come to disagree with have still proven very valuable to me in thinking about this case, and in testing or challenging my assumptions. Which is what I’m striving to do here. Even if many find my theory/ies unlikely (or offensive, to some of you) I hope my musings will at least cause someone, about some aspect of the case, to say to him/herself, “I never thought of it that way before.”

One of the most fascinating/troubling/confusing things about the Lyon sister’s disappearance is that on one hand there is just the barest of ‘evidence’: they went to the mall, a handful of eyewitnesses place them at the mall or on the way home, they never arrived home, and no trace of them has ever been found. But on the other, it’s very difficult to weave even those few eyewitness reports into a coherent narrative.

i.e., if the girls and Tape Recorder Man were seen walking away from one another at the mall between 1:00-2:00 and they were seen walking home between 2:30-3:00 (I’m aware the latter is viewed with some skepticism) it’s very difficult for me to conceive how this is a sensible modus operandi for TRM. It involves him approaching them briefly at the mall (apparently without being seen by anyone else, save for ‘Jimmy’ and his friend, or interviewing anyone else that day) then going out of the mall, driving away and into their neighborhood, and lying in wait for them. I have a hard time buying the idea that he was able to garner enough information from them during his interview to then intercept them an hour later.

But let’s say one discounts the 2:30-3:00 sighting. It’s still hard for me to reconcile this idea that he went through the risk and rigmarole of interviewing them, just to seize them in the parking lot. If one’s goal is to abduct a child or children, why not just wait by the back entrance? Why interview anyone?

And, as others have noted, even if one accepts that these two girls would have taken that brief encounter as a sign that this individual could be trusted, he still has to provide a convincing reason for them to then get in his car. It was not a long walk home and the weather was not terrible. It just doesn’t ‘ring right’ to me.

(I discount the idea of a forced abduction because it would almost certainly require two men, and once two are privy to crime, it’s far more likely one starts talking, at some point, than if a single individual harbors a terrible secret for many years. And even with two men, it would be very risky and hard to pull off in a quiet, residential neighborhood, or a mall parking lot, even an isolated one, without anyone noticing it.)

But there are other problems with the ‘they voluntarily went with him’ abduction scenario. It requires not only that the man or men get them into the car, but since it’s a short drive home (or even to the hospital under the ‘your mother is hurt and your dad sent us to pick you up’ or ‘I/we am/are L.E.’) the girls will quickly realize that something very wrong. One then has two crying, screaming girls who have to be subdued, and quickly, then upon arrival at the destination transported from the car sight unseen to wherever they were assaulted and/or killed. That’s a helluva a lot caution-to-he-wind behavior for someone who ends up executing a ‘perfect crime’.

But, of course, any theory that does not involve TRM still has to explain him, because it does seem truly improbable, given everything that has been reported about him, that this individual encounters them and then they coincidentally fall prey to someone else a short time later. So, I think the possibility has to be seriously considered that there was no TRM, not that day, not ever. (I realize a number of you will become angry or stop reading, but please bear with me.)

My reasons to be skeptical are as follows: as has been noted, ‘Jimmy’ did not mention TRM to anyone for three days. For all of Wednesday and Thursday what was surely the number one topic of conversation, among his family, his friends, is the disappearance of the Lyon sisters. And yet in his re-tellings of his sighting, he does not once mention he saw them talking to this strange middle-aged man with a tape recorder. That seems odd.

And while the corroboration of the other boy would seem to back up ‘Jimmy’s account, that assumption can just as easily be stood on its head, as it requires two different boys, no doubt telling everyone they knew over the course of two days that ‘I/we saw them that day!’ but neglecting to include what I’d think even an incurious 13 year old would note as the most significant part of his account.

As noted, no one else saw the man interviewing them or claimed to have been interviewed by the man on that day, another odd aspect given how busy/crowded the mall was. As for the other witnesses who stepped forward after the sketch and public appeal was broadcast, I find it telling that there were no contemporaneous reports of this man**, but only after the fact. And that those folks who reported him never reported seeing him after the abduction (another item that works equally well with a ‘there was no TRM’ theory, as much as one in which he is responsible, because since the inference from the police/media was: TRM is the guy, they ‘knew’ a sighting reported after that date, but before Jimmy’s account became public, made no sense).

**I note the objections about not applying 2011 norms about reporting suspicious behavior to 1975, but I’ll also note that, while male, I’m just three years younger than Katherine, and also grew up in a ‘safe’ neighborhood near a big city. I still think it more likely than not someone would have reported to somebody, just the mall security, if no-one else, about a middle-aged man with a tape recorder trying to talk to children.

Also, given what I know about eyewitnesses, and again, things which have been used to prove his existence can be used to the opposite effect---I’ve really never heard of 15 witnesses, spread over time and distance, recalling what they witnessed, and finding unanimity. That the police artist’s sketch hardly had to be modified, even after all this other input, frankly makes me more, rather than less, skeptical that these folks saw TRM, but rather were merely confirming the sketch itself. If the accounts differed more, I would, ironically, give them more credence than everyone agreeing on everything about the man.

Two more points. Though I’m hardly an expert in serial murderers, and I have no doubt many, if not most, of you are better versed in such things than I, it’s my impression that while these men may ‘experiment’ with method of killing or body disposal, once they’ve come up with a successful approach (‘could you help me look for my puppy?’, Ted Bundy and his casts, etc.) they rarely vary that aspect of their crime. So I find it almost a red flag that Richard, truly a thorough, dedicated researcher, says he’s never heard of ‘speak into my tape recorder’ outside of this case.

The other involves one of two coincidences that I feel, if I may, has been somewhat under-discussed in the otherwise exhaustive examinations here of the Lyon sister’s disappearance: namely that this seemingly unique approach of utilizing a tape recorder happens to be associated with two girls whose father was a well-known radio personality. That borders on the ‘too weird’, for me, anyway.

If those things are related, it suggests to me one of two things: that if TRM did exist, he specifically targeted these girls and with this particular approach because the microphone would provide an ‘in’ with them (which presents its own array of difficulties, including all the other ex post facto ‘witnesses’). Or that ‘Jimmy’, consciously or not, included that bit of information because he knew their dad was a ‘microphone guy’ himself.

The most compelling reasons for treating Jimmy and his friend’s account as true are that a) it is a highly-detailed one and b) there are two of them (though I’ve noted above that the latter does raise its own questions.) Thirteen year old boys are usually pretty lousy liars, and one would think either he and/or his friend would have been tripped up initially during police questioning or recanted their tale over these many years.

All I’ll say is that by Friday, with absolutely no leads and nothing to go on, the police desperately wanted to believe ‘Jimmy’s story, and so maybe their collective ‘BS Detector’ wasn’t working as well as normal, and that that is the kind of lie, perhaps said somewhat casually to one’s mom, that quickly mushrooms way out control and becomes almost impossible to retract.

As to all the other witnesses to TRM, including members of this community, while I cannot control what you feel about what I say, the only person I would characterize as having ‘lied’ in any kind the usual sense of that word, is ‘Jimmy’. As a somewhat analogous situation, all I can do is point to such things as the ‘Bogus Social Worker’ phenomena in the UK: for more than 30 years now, many sincere, salt-of the-earth, non-delusional people have reported (usually after a press report about a similar incident) that they were visited at home by folks claiming to be social workers, who asked the parents questions, examined the child/children in the home, and left.

The only trouble is, despite intensive police investigations, there has never been an arrest or prosecution in any of these BSW cases. At some point, one is forced to conclude that as sure as these parents are that the events happened as described, there’s no objective evidence these visitors ever existed, and indeed probably need to be classified as the manifestation of a social panic of some sort. And the fear that gripped parents and children in the DC area in April ’75 must have been palpable.

It doesn’t make the witnesses ‘liars’ (people who are saying things they know to be false) or crazy or attention-seekers or what-have-you. But working from the assumptions that because they’re honest, regular people who reported it, that they had no reason to make it up, and that lots of other people reported the same thing, so it must be so, doesn’t square very well with the fact that no-one’s ever actually been identified as being either TRM or one of these BSWs.

(As an aside, I don’t find the ‘second TRM’ or the station wagon sighting particularly credible and would gently suggest that these two individuals did have “issues”.)

If the person responsible was someone who was known to the family, that’s where the other coincidence that I mentioned comes into play and that I feel might be part of how these terrible events unfolded. Katherine was turning 11 the following Saturday and Sheila 13 the very next day, Easter Sunday that year. (And though I don’t know the day, IIRC, some of the press reports had their mother celebrating a birthday soon.). While it’s been offered that religious symbolism might be part of the killer choosing who he did when he did, I’m speaking merely of the ruse the predator used to set things up.

A neighborhood friend/acquaintance of the family could have easily found out about such a thing, from Sheila having told people ‘Guess what…?’ or from the church newsletter , or being aware of the Lyon’s Easter weekend plans, or what-have-you, and that became the basis for luring her (and perhaps he thought it would just be her) into his house. (‘Easter Sunday and you’ll be 13? Well, that’s a very special birthday then, if you stop by sometime his week, I’ll have a surprise present for you!’ ) Or maybe it involved something regarding a gift for Katherine or their mom or an Easter display. I’m not utterly convinced of this, it could all be merely happenstance, but I do find it curious and perhaps a useful angle to pursue.

I do take Thrasher’s (and others) points to heart, that there was a huge police investigation, the authorities took it very seriously from the get-go, and that friends, neighbors, etc. were all looked at closely. But it’s not unheard of, even in well-investigated cold cases, for the perpetrator to eventually be found, and it turns out that it was indeed, not a stranger. So I understand the doubts about it being someone known to the family, but I don’t think it can be dismissed out of hand, either.

I think the suggestion that has been made about looking for a college-age male who was home for spring break is a good thought, though under my scenario the young man’s family would have to have been away. This was a crime that required being absolutely alone, with no interruptions, over a period of hours.

If anyone is still reading, my apologies for the length and to anyone who is upset by what I’ve written. I just hope, whatever its shortcomings, it’s taken in the spirit that we all want a resolution to this mystery and those responsible brought to justice, This just reflects what this pair of ‘fresh eyes’ has taken away from all the many hours labor you-all have already put into it and been gracious enough to share on this board.

Welcome to the forum, Woodlawn. And thank you for your very insightful post. A new set of eyes and new thoughts on this old case are indeed helpful.

As you point out, there is very little concrete evidence in this case, certainly nothing forensic. What we have is some eyewitness testimony which has been filtered through police press briefers and then through media stories of 1975 on.

Each story, each piece of the puzzle, needs to be considered and evaluated carefully. In the end, there are far more questions than answers. But you have to ask those questions before the answers will come.

I think that all of us hope for a resolution in this case some day.

The FBI profilers of serial killers speak of Linkage Characteristics. Linkage characteristics are NOT crime scene signatures, but rather aspects or traits that a criminal uses/used over the course of their criminal career. Like most any human endeavor, career criminals leave their metaphoric fingerprints, if not literal, at their crime scenes.

To suggest that it was a neighbor stretches credulity. The idea that some psychopathic murderer was home from college or visiting a family member in the area and kidnapped the girls without being seen or known to anyone; And made them disappear forever; And that the criminal withstood, days, weeks, months, years of community wide outrage, indignation, and endless searches without ever getting known more would be SO unlikely. Additionally this theory would have it be that this crime was some sort of one shot deal in which this criminal somehow does not ever perform a similar crime again. This scenario does not match with what we know about these kinds of crimes and criminals that perpetrate them.

Furthermore, the suggestion that the criminal was Fred Coffey equally stretches credulity. The linkage characteristics stop at the possibility that Coffey, an unorganized type of serial killer may have used a tape recorder. Beyond that Coffey simply does not have any of the meaningful linkage characteristics to be seriously entertained as a viable suspect in this case. The notion that he became a suspect so well known to the public only shows further how badly defeated the Montgomery County police were by what actually occurred on March 25, 1975.

To make two girls disappear forever (short of being seen April 6, 1975 gagged and bound in the back seat of a stationwagon) was an absolutely extraordinary feat. To remain stone cold silent and remain completely undetected for decades in the face of unimaginable pressure was herculean.

Linkage characteristics do show that James Mitchell DeBardeleben would fit as the prime suspect in this crime:

Was known to perform crimes at crowded malls during holiday season.

Was known to use tape recorders to record torture scenarios on his victims.

Was known to kidnap victims and hold them for days.

Was known to have used Virginia as a place to create safe houses to hold victims.

Was known to kidnap children for his psycho-sexual sadism. This was well documented by himself with photos he took of his rape crimes in action of children, teenagers and women. An article was published by True Detective magazine in 1985 about DeBardeleben, likely, in order so that DeBardelebeen would be maximally harmed by other prisoners in jail that documented his sexual crimes against children and young teenage girls.

Was known as a police impersonator to gain his victims trust.

Was known to use cue cards - cue cards were described by witnesses of TRM with typed scripts for them to read from - such cue cards and typed scripts were well documented as use in a number of ruses and again he used scripts to force his victims to read from during his torture scenarios.

Was known to do crimes at malls as a "well dressed man".

Was suspected in numerous cases of making girls/women disappear forever. He studied and had notes on incineration and acid disintegration methodologies. Was documented to have been suspected in countless missing (forever) cases.

Was in the area and performed a terrific amount of very serious and very violent crime in and around Wheaton, Maryland- including, but not limited to kidnapping, raping and (very likely murdering).

Was known to perform highly planned, highly organized, well thought out crimes that included elaborate ruses and disguises.

Was known to have taunted police and victims before, during and after the commitment of serious crimes.

Was known to have murdered in 1965 and 1971 and therefore was fully engaged in serial killing at least a decade before March 25, 1975.

Was indicted and tried and released on technicality of kidnapping, raping and sodomizing a 12 or 13 in PG county Maryland in 1966.

Coupled with these linkage characteristics that in SO many ways point to James Mitchell DeBardeleben as the perpetrator - there was the documentation of 3 Maryland State Police uniforms having been stolen from a dry cleaning firm in Baltimore in February of 1975 - coinciding perfectly with the documented appearance of the TRM at area malls.

Additionally linkage characteristics point to the Lyon case being an overlay of a nearly identical crime that took place on Dec 23, 1974 in an outdoor mall in Fort Worth - The Missing Trio. Linkage characteristics have shown that DeBardeleben often performed the same crime, in different locations - including psycho-sexual murders (please see MacDonald, McPhaul murders).

The FBI profilers of serial killers speak of Linkage Characteristics. Linkage characteristics are NOT crime scene signatures, but rather aspects or traits that a criminal uses/used over the course of their criminal career. Like most any human endeavor, career criminals leave their metaphoric fingerprints, if not literal, at their crime scenes. .....

You argue a strong case against DeBardeleben as suspect in the (probable) abduction of Sheila and Kate Lyon.

The evidence, however, is entirely circumstantial - as is with all other potential suspects mentioned in these threads.

No doubt in my mind that DeBardeleben is a total maggot who was capable of almost anything criminal. But in all of the evidence that he DID leave behind, there is nothing which ties him to the Lyon sisters. There are photos and tapes of other victims - but not them. He kept souvinirs of his victims, and there was forensic evidence linking him to some, but nothing to indicate that he took the Lyon girls.

That does not mean that he can be ruled out. But neither can you completely rule out other possible suspects.

While the possibility of a family member, friend, or neighbor being the perpetrator was looked into by police in 1975, we do not know exactly who or how many they spoke to.

There were over 40 houses along the route taken by the girls in their walk to and from Wheaton Plaza and any detour would add more to that number. Each house a potential crime scene, but each also a high risk because there were so many potential eyewitnesses as well.

As discussed in a number of threads, there were quite a few odd or violent characters in and around Wheaton/Kensington on 25 March 1975. Most of those dirtbags have been identified in the 36 years since that day due to their subsequent behaviors. Certainly DeBardeleben was one of them. Others include Fred Coffey, Michael Pearch, Ray Mileski, Abernathy, Kowalski, Freddie Goode, The Aspen Hill Rapist, and Hadden Clark. (I have probably forgotten someone and for that I am sorry.)

Were each and all violent criminals? Yes. Were most of them cold blooded murderers? Yes. Could any one of them have abducted the girls? Yes. Is there any solid (forensic) evidence linking any one of them to the crime? No.

Unfortunately, DeBardeleben has died in prison without (to my knowledge) making any confession or statement. So one would have to travel to Hell to ask him now, and he would probably only lie anyway.

As I said, you make a strong case regarding DeBardeleben, and I certainly do not rule him out. But some compelling cases can also be made for some of the others on the list.

It is worth pursuing this issue and the possibility that DeBardeleben may have left something behind in his things to tie him to this case perhaps something which might even lead to recovery of the girls.

Thank you so much for posting and for going through all of the facts that we have. I agree with you 100% and hope that you will continue to post about this case.

Thank you for your very interesting ideas on this. I agree with you,I think it was someone they knew and either went with them from the mall or passed them, or their home, on the way home. An invitation of some sort was given,feeling no danger,they accepted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyLFC1892