Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard, in your own opinion, why do you think the LHM sketch was never released by montgomery county police back in March-April 1975 when it could have potentially led to the current persons of interest (Lloyd Welch & Dick Welch) 39 years ago when everything about the case was fresher?

A good question, and one I have been asking since last February when Lloyd was first named as a POI.

It is only speculation as to why MCP would keep that sketch secret for so long. Especially since they DID release the sketch of the Tape Recorder Man (TRM) which was made only the day after the sketch of the Long Haired Man (LHM) was made.

It may be that police had already connected Lloyd Welch to that day at the mall, and even to the LHM sketch by 1 April 1975, and determined that LHM was only an eyewitness rather than a suspect. Maryland Judiciary records have three different birth dates on Lloyd Welch (one would have made him 17 at the time). I believe that the most likely birthdate (December 1956) would mean he had recently turned 18 years old. It might be possible that MCP thought he was still a minor, in which case they would not have released his name. Again, this is just speculation.

It is also possible, as stated by others, that the information simply got buried in the deluge of tips and calls coming in, but it hardly makes sense with all the other information that they DID release at the time. A third girl stating that she was with Sheila and Kate that day and that they were all followed by LHM? Not important enough to mention???

It boggles my mind that MCP would not have released the LHM sketch in hopes of identifying the weird guy who had been observed paying attention to and following the Lyon sisters and their friend (all young preteens). The third girl obviously felt uncomfortable by the guy and got a very good look at him to be able to give such an accurate description for the LHM sketch to be made. It could have been the one huge break the case needed at that time.

It boggles my mind that MCP would not have released the LHM sketch in hopes of identifying the weird guy who had been observed paying attention to and following the Lyon sisters and their friend (all young preteens). The third girl obviously felt uncomfortable by the guy and got a very good look at him to be able to give such an accurate description for the LHM sketch to be made. It could have been the one huge break the case needed at that time.
I think your feelings are similar to the sentiments of mdietz47, who feels that MCP failed 3 times and I think is so discouraged now, that he appears to have given up hope.
He feels DeBardeleben was the "real kidnapper", however I truly hope he changes his mind.
In keeping this with the topic of the news reports, we have to let this play out regarding the persons of interest with the last name Welch.

I wonder if Edna Welch has been called before the grand jury? Edna Welch is Lloyd Welch's step-mother (she was married to his father....

I would sincerely hope that Edna Welch was questioned before the grand jury. She has made statements (quoted in newspapers) regarding Lloyd stating that he knew something about the Lyon sisters' disappearance and his intent to claim a reward first offered on 1 April 1975. Her testimony would be very relevant to the case.

She could be questioned regarding her Hyattsville home and any other residences or vacant buildings in its vicinity back in 1975.
She might be able to give key testimony as to Lloyd's activities, whereabouts, etc during that period of time.
She could speak to any prior trouble Lloyd might have been in while a juvenile.
She could speak to whether or not she had a vehicle and whether or not Lloyd knew how to drive or if he had access to any vehicles.
She could be asked about other members of the Welch family who are considered persons of interest or who might have been involved.

I agree with you, motherof5. I remember very well when the girls disappeared and how awful the whole thing was. Worse was never knowing what happened to them. Forty years later we are still waiting for answers that hopefully are forthcoming. As far as the financial costs being incurred with the searches in Bedford County, Virginia. If the girls remains are located and recovered would it be possible to hold those accused for the financial liability incurred and have them reimburse agencies involved, including the Bedford County Police Dept, the Montgomery County Police Department, the FBI, Liberty University, Radford University, etc.?... And, jumping forward, if people are charged in this case (criminal charges), could the Lyon family also file a suit against them for 'wrongful death' (civil charges). Perhaps Richard could give us his educated opinion here.

The main focus of this investigation is to locate the bodies of Sheila and Katherine Lyon. Of course, we are all hoping for a resolution in this long unsolved case and closure for the Lyon family.

Legally speaking, finding the Lyon sisters and determining what happened to them is essential to prosecution of anyone. While there have been some successful murder prosecutions in the absence of a body, they are somewhat rare. In those few cases of successful prosecution without a body, there has to be significant other evidence which proves that a murder has been committed. An example would be finding a vehicle containing so much blood (matched to the victim) that the person could not have survived. Or photographic evidence, perhaps supported by eyewitness testimony, etc.

Even WITH a body, in this case, circumstantial evidence would be needed to associate the crime with the perpetrator. In this case, of course, IF the bodies are found on property owned by Richard Welch, he would be a strong suspect in their abduction and murder, but prosecutors would still need to place him at the scene, and establish other factors tying him to the actual crimes charged.

Civil Laws are different and separate from Chriminal charges or convictions - as seen in the OJ Simpson case and others. In short, anyone can sue anyone else for almost any reason. But each case has to be argued and settled on the merits. A prior criminal conviction certainly helps the plaintif, but it would not be necessary (as in the OJ Simpson case).

The Lyon family certainly would have a case against anyone who abducted their daughters, and I would think it likely and appropriate.

Law enforcement agencies would have a harder time winning a civil case, since it is their job to investigate and solve crimes and there is not as much legal precedent for such a civil law suit. A civil case COULD be made by Bedford (VA) or Montgomery (MD) Counties which paid for those investigations, but what would be the financial return?

Investigators from the FBI on Thursday concluded four days of “forensic digs” in Bedford County, Va., as part of a stepped-up investigation of the nearly 40-year-old case of two young girls who disappeared after walking to a Montgomery County shopping mall in 1975.

Officials did not say what, if any, evidence was found. “Investigators are pleased with the progression of the search for the truth concerning the abduction and murder of the Lyon sisters,” the Bedford County Sheriff’s Office said in a brief statement. “This progression is the direct result of careful, methodical and thorough work this week.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...4d6cd4-9d0a-11e4-96cc-e858eba91ced_story.html

I happened to notice in reading some threads, that not only did the Lyon sisters go missing just days before BOTH of their birthdays, but I saw at least one or perhaps more cases of the same thing.
Hmmm. Coincidence or connection?

We talked about this very thing a few years ago.

Yes, the girls were only days away from turning 13 (Sheila) and 11 (Katherine). Easter fell on that same weekend in 1975.

This thread is the origional thread started by Joellegirl in 2004. It was first in the Cold Case section, as were all the other "Missing Person" cases. Some years later, it was put in the "Missing in the 1970's" section of the newly started Missing topics. Soon afterward, due to a large interest in the case, it was made one of Websleuths' feature cases.

Interesting to see how many views and posts have been made in the past eleven years - and how many other websites, blogsites, and facebook accounts have picked up the topic and discussions.

Wow! Wish I had been a part of that discussion!
Do you remember which thread it is under?

I'm not sure. We've covered a lot of ground in this forum. I just remember that we talked about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...dc5a4c-b872-11e4-a200-c008a01a6692_story.html

"A sex offender named as a “person of interest” in the 1975 disappearance of two young sisters in Montgomery County has told detectives that he left a shopping mall with them the day they went missing and that he later saw his uncle sexually assaulting one of the girls, according to police affidavits recently unsealed."

I guess this isn't enough to charge them at least with abduction? Since they currently haven't been charged with anything, what is there in place to stop Lloyd and Richard Welch from fleeing the state?

Lloyd is in jail in Delaware, so hes not going anywhere! I guess raw could but given his age, i doubt he would.

Wait a minute, when did Welch say "I took the girls from the mall" , was it 1975 or last year?

Wait a minute, when did Welch say "I took the girls from the mall" , was it 1975 or last year?

According to the Washington post article he admitted being in the car with the girls after they started interviewing him from 2013 onwards. He previously stated he saw the girls getting into a car to a security guard at Wheaton Plaza on April 1st 1975 seven days after they disappeared.

Lloyd is in jail in Delaware, so hes not going anywhere! I guess raw could but given his age, i doubt he would.

I am sure that LE is carefully watching every move being made by Richard "Dick" Welch and his wife, Patricia Welch! And as winterrayne pointed out, LLW is currently in prision in Smyrna, Delaware and has been since 1998 or so. He isn't going anywhere soon!

So I don't really follow this case closely. I do check in now and then to see what is going on. I just saw an article and hoping what I read leads them to their bodies. I just hope that this family will finally know the truth and be able to put their children to rest.

Washington post is reporting that the suspect admitted leaving the mall with the girls and saw his uncle sexually abusing one of the girls later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blondeboricua