Southwest States - AZ, CA, CO, NM, OK, TX, AR, LA, UT, NV - Weather Discussion

Another winter storm brings snow to West as freeze grips much of the nation

By Daniella Silva, NBC News

Widespread snowfall and freezing winds left icy roads and power outages stretching from Texas to the Rockies on Saturday as another powerful winter storm hit the West Coast. Much of the nation was expected to feel the advancing freeze by Monday.

The storm is set to affect a wide swathe of the nation over the weekend, including areas already pummeled by ice and freezing rain over last week. Winter storm warnings were in effect for parts of California, Nevada, Utah and Colorado with winter storm advisories in Wyoming, New Mexico and Arizona.

“Over the last 24 hours we’ve already seen snow fall amounts from 2 to 10 inches,” said Kelsey Angle, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service...

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...-nation?lite?__source=xfinity|mod&par=xfinity

Burrrrr Rabbit!!!! Freezing my @$$ off. Have been for 4 days! The wind chill factor is -26 here in Co!!!

Winter Storm Dion to Bring Snow, Ice From West to the Northeast

http://www.wunderground.com/news/winter-storm-dion-forecast-20131204

Winter Storm Dion, the fourth named winter storm of the 2013-14 season, will result in more snow and ice for some of the same areas impacted by Winter Storm Cleon.

Dion initially will produce snow in the West through Saturday night.

From there, Dion will then spread snow and ice from the Midwest to the Mid-South, Ohio Valley, Middle Atlantic and Northeast Saturday night into Monday.

Here's a look at the forecast through the beginning of next week........

"Death toll rises in America's big freeze: Tens of thousands warned they could be without power for two weeks as ice storms bring down cables"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ks-ice-storms-bring-cables.html#ixzz2mpt3vFS3

The limbs down all over are what it was like during one really bad ice storm. You could hear the cracking of the ice constantly! Hubby and I saw one enormous branch from a tall tree break and fall to the ground...and we looked at each other like 'did that just happen?'

One odd thing was the outside was incredibly beautiful...sun was shining and it looked like the world was encased in glass. Sparkling diamond like...until a branch cracked and broke off and we were praying the big branches over our trees wouldn't break.

Outside Salt Lake City, Utah. Birds are singing, sun is shining, and skies are clear and blue. It's a beautiful day!

Hm, what's this, up from p.m. nap to find storm warning, threat of hail, high winds, the temperature now stuck at 66.6 degrees, and a freeze warning for tonight, later? Must be....northeastern OK weather eh?

If a wheelie bin breaks free from its mates and makes repeated attempts to roll down the road, first one way and then, as the wind turns, the other, well....that's what I'm hearing, a trash bin uncertain of its freedom in the teeth of an approaching storm, one way then another, wheeling one way then another.

After a week+ primarily in the low 80s, this "cold snap" is esp. bitter. Panhandle could see snow but even here, in the NE corner of OK the weather sprites are having their way with us....and laughing. Icily. 35 degrees, twenty-seven wind chill, and twenty-eight tonight (wind chill probably 12-15) but no precipitation (for now, thank God). Brrr...rrr.rrr.rrrr.

Any Oklahomans out there? Have you been shaking a lot lately?

Oklahoma quakes this year top tremors in California

Between 1978 and 2008, Oklahoma experienced an average of just two quakes of 3.0 magnitude of greater. In 2014, as of Thursday, there have been about 207 such quakes recorded in the state, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

More at the link below

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/19/us/oklahoma-earthquakes-wastewater-wells/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Between 1978 and 2008, Oklahoma experienced an average of just two quakes of 3.0 magnitude of greater. In 2014, as of Thursday, there have been about 207 such quakes recorded in the state, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.
Do you have Fracking there? Just asking.

Do you have Fracking there? Just asking.

I really don't know. It's a fairly large state. We don't have earthquakes like Oklahoma...not even in New Madrid area. It's amazing to me Oklahoma is having more earthquakes than California. Who dah thunk it? Are you in a place with earthquakes Cracka Jaxx?

I'd like to know what Oklahomans think of all the earthquakes...some may be in an area where they say...what earthquakes, we don't have them? Or in an area where they say I'm sick and tired of all the rock 'n' rollin'.

Any Oklahomans out there? Have you been shaking a lot lately?

Oklahoma quakes this year top tremors in California

More at the link below

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/19/us/oklahoma-earthquakes-wastewater-wells/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Yes, we certainly have been shaking. A tremor nearly bucked me off the couch just now. This is not normal and absolutely 100% due to fracking.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...kes-wastewater-wells-fluid-injection/29640426

According to Cochran, there are thousands of wastewater injection sites across the state, and many more across the country, but understanding the physics behind why some areas have seen dramatic increases and others have not depends on understanding a variety of variables.

Cochran said the rate in which injection occurs, the volume of fluid injected and the existing state of the geology may all play a role.

The largest event in the state to occur in the past century was a 5.6-magnitude quake that struck Oklahoma in November 2011. "That was the largest event linked to injection," Cochran said.

I'm so sorry Okiegranny. When my nephew lived in texas he had a few earthquakes, one caused some cracks up the wall. He was convinced they were also due to fracking.

A massive dust storm has engulfed Phoenix, cutting power to more than 10,000 Salt River homes and stopping flights at the airport.

'Visibility could be reduced to less than a quarter of a mile in some areas,' and drivers are being warned to pull off the road if they're caught up in it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/towering-dust-storm-smothers-phoenix-area-n165466

'Known as an “Haboob”, the intense storms can generate winds of up to 40 miles per hour.'

http://www.news.com.au/world/massiv...eople-lose-power/story-fndir2ev-1227002420659

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 73
That is a BIG dust storm. I feel sorry for all the people (and animals) in its path.

That is massive. Thanks for the heads up. Need to call my Sis and BIL who live there. Was out there and had a car rental a few years back. Out of nowhere came a sandstorm. I assume the same as a dust storm? Nowhere as massive as this. It was frightening. Rocks flying and one managed to hit the windshield.

Meanwhile, it's raining here in Palm Springs, same desert but 270 miles east. We've had flash flood warnings for two days.

Who says desert weather never changes?

(Bravo, we have smaller sand/dust storms here (smaller because our valley is narrower and we are surrounded by mountains) and, yes, people often have to replace their windshields afterwards. Blowing sand leaves pits in the glass.)

Looking at that dust/sand storm it is easy to see how it can clog up the jets of an aircraft and bring an aircraft down. The "Haboobs" they get in Africa can be 30,000 feet high, the same height an aircraft flies at. It is easy to see how a "Haboob" could be the reason the "Air Algeria" plane crashed, (the crash happened at about midnight). It would be impossible to see the boundaries in the dark. The incredible and unpredictable forces of nature.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aegon_the_Conqueror
Back