Spain Spain - Ana Knezevich, 40, from Florida, going through divorce, missing under suspicious circumstances on trip to Madrid, 5 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

I get an impression that leaks are not desired and are usually by anonymous persons, but her we have an official with a name. What else can he reveal that the police won't?
When did he reveal that David was in Spain? I have not seen this. Please share the article.

If I accept that someone else sent those text messages to Ana's two friends pretending to be her, then there is really only one person I can think of who would benefit to setting up a false backstory for her disappearance.

Whoever is behind this, needed to buy themselves some time before police got involved and wanted police looking in a different direction.

If this was a random stalker or someone she met on a dating app that didn't know her well (and more importantly, that her friends/family didn't know), they would be less concerned about suspicions immediately falling on them.

Has anything been reported about DNA collection from the apartment?

David Knezevich was in his native Serbia when his wife, Ana, disappeared from her Madrid apartment on Feb. 2 and has been cooperating with both Spanish police and the FBI, said Ken Padowitz, his Florida-based attorney.

“David has worked with authorities. He has talked to detectives in Spain on a number of occasions. He’s provided credit card information ... He obtained a lawyer in Spain to sign documents that might help the Spanish authorities go into the apartment that his wife had rented,” Padowitz said. “He is doing everything that he possibly can ... from Serbia.”

He said if Knezevich, 36, traveled to Spain, that would not help the investigation or search.

“He does not speak Spanish. He does not have family in Spain. He does not have friends in Spain. He does not have a house or an apartment or any place to live in Spain,” Padowitz said.
This information is the exact opposite of what Sanna, the Fort Lauderdale police report, and Ana's brother has stated.

*Disclaimer: If you'd like to see the police report or believe the journalist is lying, you can contact the journalist who wrote the article: Fort Lauderdale woman disappears in Madrid after suspicious text, blacked-out surveillance cameras

Also, you can request records by contacting the Fort Lauderdale police.

Last edited:
If I accept that someone else sent those text messages to Ana's two friends pretending to be her, then there is really only one person I can think of who would benefit to setting up a false backstory for her disappearance.

Whoever is behind this, needed to buy themselves some time before police got involved and wanted police looking in a different direction.

If this was a random stalker or someone she met on a dating app that didn't know her well (and more importantly, that her friends/family didn't know), they would be less concerned about suspicions immediately falling on them.

Nothing about DNA. They might want to keep that secret.

I’m not trying to be glib or over-simplify but it doesn’t make sense if he wants to help in finding Ana. What does he have to lose? The Spanish police cannot put him in a cell. They cannot force him to give a statement. The lawyer could be present in remote questioning and advise his client not to answer anything he considers thorny.

Is the answer then: he does want to help find Ana but he’s worried the Spanish police will somehow make up a charge against him despite any possible evidence being non-existent?
See I believe anyone being questioned by LE should have a lawyer present, regardless if they have done something or not. Many times LE has tunnel vision. It is what it is, and it's his right. I would rather they investigate properly, so then there is no way the guilty party can appeal. However, that is just my way of thinking.

The press also published rumors in the past (e.g. about the husband being in Spain in January). It seems weird to me that while the police say nothing, they would let info about the investigation be leaked through other channels.
You’ve never read “a police source said”? I lived in Los Angeles for years. I made a podcast with Universal and spoke to a slew of American police officers / detectives across innumerable hours of interviews all over the nation. I consulted with them in the writing of my novel. I can assure you that US LE speaking openly about both solved and unsolved cases is not some sort of Spanish ritual.

I did not say that HE revealed anything else. I was merely replying to a statement that something was published in the press. Some of the press info has to be taken with caution if no source is given.
Yes I agree. The only article I read that mentioned David might have been in Spain also stated that this could not be confirmed. The article clearly stated that some sources said he was in Spain, and other sources could not prove he was in Spain. This had nothing to do with anything Joaquín Amills has said or supposedly "leaked"

You’ve never read “a police source said”? I lived in Los Angeles for years. I made a podcast with Universal and spoke to a slew of American police officers / detectives across innumerable hours of interviews all over the nation. I consulted with them in the writing of my novel. I can assure you that US LE speaking openly about both solved and unsolved cases is not some sort of Spanish ritual.
A "police source" is not the same as publishing the name of the source. Often times leaks are not desired.

A stalker unknown to her would only lose in wasting time on her phone / making up such a story. The more he says, the more avenues police would have for finding him.

As for DNA, this will already be searched for in the apartment. It’s very unlikely the Spanish police will make any comment while investigations are ongoing. Then again, possible they’ll make an exception given she is an American. But I wouldn’t bank on it.

I’m not trying to be glib or over-simplify but it doesn’t make sense if he wants to help in finding Ana. What does he have to lose? The Spanish police cannot put him in a cell. They cannot force him to give a statement. The lawyer could be present in remote questioning and advise his client not to answer anything he considers thorny.

Is the answer then: he does want to help find Ana but he’s worried the Spanish police will somehow make up a charge against him despite any possible evidence being non-existent?
A good attorney will advise their client not to speak to LE on their own, especially in such a high profile international case like this. We don't know if LE have asked his attorney for a formal interview at this time. The attorney said that he has offered himself to be available to the FBI and other LE. I would think that most attorneys would try to avoid an interview in a foreign country where they are not licensed to practice law and are not familiar with the laws and procedures of foreign investigations. That would be putting one's client at risk unknowingly. In any event, it sounds like he has been cooperating with LE in the U.S. as much as he can while still adhering to attorney-client privilege.

I am not saying the husband is not guilty, we just don't know what happened, and it may be that LE in Madrid have no reason at this time, no evidence, to suggest that an interview with the husband is necessary. They are likely still investigating the case as they have not named the husband as a person of interest.

Just some thoughts at this time.

I wonder if LE in the U.S. (FBI for example) would be able to get a subpoena to view the texts directly from the provider of Ana's cell phone They likely would have to convince a judge that there was probably cause that a crime had been committed and provide the judge with the evidence that leads them to believe this. They can't just go fishing to read all of her texts, there has to be evidence that they will find what they are looking for, and specify what it is that they are lookig for, I would think.

That is, of course, if Ana had a U.S. cell phone provider and that her service was not from a provider in Spain. Not sure how this would work for LE with Spanish laws and legal procedures if they wanted to obtain her texts.

I wonder if LE in the U.S. (FBI for example) would be able to get a subpoena to view the texts directly from the provider of Ana's cell phone They likely would have to convince a judge that there was probably cause that a crime had been committed and provide the judge with the evidence that leads them to believe this. They can't just go fishing to read all of her texts, there has to be evidence that they will find what they are looking for, and specify what it is that they are lookig for, I would think.

That is, of course, if Ana had a U.S. cell phone provider and that her service was not from a provider in Spain. Not sure how this would work for LE with Spanish laws and legal procedures if they wanted to obtain her texts.
Yes, I have no idea on the legalities. It’s very easy to get a Spanish SIM and pop it into your phone. If she arrived here in December, it’s likely she went down this route vs dodging roaming charges or whatever.

I find it hard to imagine the FBI will be able to do much on Spanish soil. However, there are good relations between the two nations and I’ve seen on TV that spanish police are in contact with the FBI (how deep this goes, I have no idea). But I imagine that if the latter requests something, the former isn’t going to hold back.

As for having no need or cause to speak to the ex-husband (or technically just husband?), I think it’s pretty self-evident that as the person who knows her best in the world, who has shared a life with her, they’re going to want to talk to him. Or, if we flipped this, imagine if they said “there’s no point in talking to him, his lawyer said he’s never been to Spain as he doesn’t speak the language or own property here.” That would be laughable.

As for not going on a zoom with them due to the legal pitfalls and the rest of it. I understand what you’re saying, of course. But my question still stands. Those risks outweigh his desire to help with the search for Ana?

And we know that LE wants to talk to him as it’s been stated in the press. Just because it doesn’t have a name attached to it, it doesn’t mean it’s made up. I would bet my house that if the press says it’s from a police source, that’s how it is.

As a reminder,

At this time, no one has been named by law enforcement as a person of interest or suspect in this case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to family members of victims and suspects. You may reasonably discuss what is said in MSM by them or about them, but do not make random accusations, insinuations, suggest their involvement, trash, bash or attack them, or speculate negatively about them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renovationsnet
Back