State v Bradley Cooper - 3/25/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

That is where the defense contends that the 11 month delay in notifying them that the data was wiped has hurt them. They said that it longer than the "data retention policy" of the phone company.

We'll have to wait to see what defense does on cross.

Hmmmm, this answers the question I just posed. Had not learned of this prior.

Hmmmm, this answers the question I just posed. Had not learned of this prior.

I don't think we've heard official testimony of the data retention policy. The information about the defense's contention is in the Motion filed in February.

Now this is something I recall hearing..that it was Nancy's practice to lock up items in her car..carrying her car key while jogging..so snoopers could get at it??..Is this something I dreamed or imagined?? I also heard she hid a spare key in the garage..did maybe Brad find it in his cleanfeast of said garage?? so just maybe her phone wasnt locked, and Brad deleted..then locked which you can do if phone is open..cant you?...

Since no data was retrieved from her phone whether calls or texts and contact lists etc..Calls and texts could be obtained via the phone service provider..no?..

I'm confused about a lot of things, and I'm not even trying anymore to figure out all of the computer and cell tech issues. But I think you are correct about her keeping her car locked and carrying the keys with her to keep Brad from accessing what was in her vehicle. Additionally, I think the box of paper items they found in Nancy's room containing various documents, including the insurance info for Nancy's car, originally came from her car. I think Brad got into her car and removed those papers and maybe the cell phone too.

I did some googeling and found this simple sequence that someone like Brad Could have done before turning it over to police..I picked Blackerry Pearl since I didnt recall the model Of Nancy's..but sure the sequence is similar..Please note the last thing you do it to LOCK IT!!!
http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/04/30/how-to-wipe-the-data-from-your-blackberry-pearl/

Trying to unlock may have wiped it..however IF it was already wiped..how would they know?? Would the Service Provider have that info?? Just askin??

Hopefully the warning that one more incorrect password attempt would erase the phone would stop the kid from doing that.
Maybe, but I don't understand the idea of pinning the security of your device on the hopes that the person trying to do the harm to it does the right thing.

It's like having a security system on your house and if a thief breaks in and tries a few times to guess the code to disarm it, rather than sounding the alarm, the house sets itself on fire. The thief doesn't get your belongings, but you don't have them either.

Would it help to tell the thief that if he guesses wrong one more time, the house he is trying to steal from will burn down?

BBM

That is where the defense contends that the 11 month delay in notifying them that the data was wiped has hurt them. They said that it longer than the "data retention policy" of the phone company.

We'll have to wait to see what defense does on cross.

But just maybe the state got it already..and has turned this over to defense and are trying to whine..for spin purposes..I dont know..I am hopeful Expert will testify this week regarding all this stuff!!..Guess we just have to have patience...hard to do with so many enquiring minds slething their hearts out!!

But she called them before she was even found so how could her statement have conflicted with what they already knew? They didn't know yet.

We will hopefully hear from her in this trial.

We know that she called them on Sunday and left a message. The police called her back and left a message (no day given). According to her affidavit, they "finally" talked to someone and gave her statement. The word "finally" was her word. That makes me believe that it was later on Monday when they spoke to her and the body may well have been discovered by then. That is the impression that I got from her affidavit.

I did some googeling and found this simple sequence that someone like Brad Could have done before turning it over to police..I picked Blackerry Pearl since I didnt recall the model Of Nancy's..but sure the sequence is similar..Please note the last thing you do it to LOCK IT!!!
http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/04/30/how-to-wipe-the-data-from-your-blackberry-pearl/

Trying to unlock may have wiped it..however IF it was already wiped..how would they know?? Would the Service Provider have that info?? Just askin??

I do believe it was a Pearl. The lock upon holstering command is a different option. It's not in the sequence. You'd have to exit out of the wipe command to select the lock option. I've owned a blackberry and it's not part of that particular wipe sequence.

Can you be specific because I'm not seeing what you think are inaccuracies?

Something to the effect that on several subsequent weekends the police were stopping people to ask them if they had seen the missing jogger. She was only missing for one weekend. In the next paragraph she goes on to discuss a body being found on a weekday. It would have been the day after she called the police initially. That is not accurate in terms of the timeline that we know. MOO

Maybe, but I don't understand the idea of pinning the security of your device on the hopes that the person trying to do the harm to it does the right thing.

It's like having a security system on your house and if a thief breaks in and tries a few times to guess the code to disarm it, rather than sounding the alarm, the house sets itself on fire. The thief doesn't get your belongings, but you don't have them either.

Would it help to tell the thief that if he guesses wrong one more time, the house he is trying to steal from will burn down?

Well, if someone stole my phone, I wouldn't want them having access to my personal info. Rarely do stolen phones get returned.

But just maybe the state got it already..and has turned this over to defense and are trying to whine..for spin purposes..I dont know..I am hopeful Expert will testify this week regarding all this stuff!!..Guess we just have to have patience...hard to do with so many enquiring minds slething their hearts out!!

I, again, feel so very sorry for the jury IF they are following the judges instructions not to talk about this case, etc. As much as we are trying to understand the events, the evidence, putting two and two together, which testimony was what, etc. They are stuck with all of this information swirling around in their minds and they can't talk to anybody whatsoever to sort it all out. I feel for them and pray that they can put it all together in the end. Even if they find BC not guilty, I can almost already understand how difficult this has been for them.

I was wondering what the timeline was on text messages. I know they stay on the device infinitely (unless erased). But, what is the standard for phone companies? I have read (because of this case) that different providers indicate different record keeping standards. 3-5 days for Verizon. 7 days for AT and T. Does that mean they are released altogether from the record keeping after that?

The actual message might be deleted from the server but the time, date, sender and I don't know what other information would be included in the records.

Unfortunately we won't know the extent of what was on the phone b/c of the data wipe.

I have a BB and it's not password protected. No passwords, no protection at all. I rarely use it. I'm glad it's not protected because I would probably be the one who would end up wiping it clean during a moment of panic. Thanks for the info.

I do believe it was a Pearl. The lock upon holstering command is a different option. It's not in the sequence. You'd have to exit out of the wipe command to select the lock option. I've owned a blackberry and it's not part of that particular wipe sequence.

Option or not..I am sure Brad was quite capable of locking it before he placed it into that drawer....Wonder if Service provider could record this wiping thingy??? time of it etc....Boy we sure are detailed thinkers...:rocker:

Option or not..I am sure Brad was quite capable of locking it before he placed it into that drawer....Wonder if Service provider could record this wiping thingy??? time of it etc....Boy we sure are detailed thinkers...:rocker:

Oh, I agree, it's easy to lock. You password enable it (from that same menu) or if you just have it screen lock (but not password protected). I don't think the wipe would go through the service provider b/c that is part of the RIM/Blackberry software and you wouldn't have to have cell coverage to use that option. If there was some way to determine when the password protect was set, it would have been wiped when JY attempted to unlock the phone. We do know at least the data of a password was on the phone when CPD took custody of it.

I have a BB and it's not password protected. No passwords, no protection at all. I rarely use it. I'm glad it's not protected because I would probably be the one who would end up wiping it clean during a moment of panic. Thanks for the info.

I understand. I password protected mine once and then disabled it and went with the basic screen lock only. I wasn't even aware that the 10 attempts = erase everything.

Well, if someone stole my phone, I wouldn't want them having access to my personal info. Rarely do stolen phones get returned.

Right, but the way this sort of thing is usually handled by things like financial institutions for online accounts is that after some number of failed passwords in a row, they don't take away all your money. Instead, they lock the account such that not even the correct password will let you in to it. You them have to call them and answer the security questions before they will reset the password and tell you what it is.

Anyway, whatever. As I said, I don't see this as desirable behavior, but everyone is different.

Yea I know, we'll never know.....but honestly, does anyone really think her text messages would reveal the killer (other than Brad)? Kurtz is hoping this honest mistake by CPD will be magnified into a bumbling, inept and corrupt investigation.

I, again, feel so very sorry for the jury IF they are following the judges instructions not to talk about this case, etc. As much as we are trying to understand the events, the evidence, putting two and two together, which testimony was what, etc. They are stuck with all of this information swirling around in their minds and they can't talk to anybody whatsoever to sort it all out. I feel for them and pray that they can put it all together in the end. Even if they find BC not guilty, I can almost already understand how difficult this has been for them.

For better or worse though, we are here because we have an intense interest in true crime. Probably most of the jurors don't have anywhere near the interest we have, fortunately or unfortunately. :fence:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeymourMann