Staton confident this case won't end up in the cold case file

LE has officially named TH a suspect now. I'm glad they are still looking at other avenues as well, however!

"The task force continues to sort leads, identify persons of interest and track Terri Horman's e-mails and phone calls before, after and since Kyron went missing, and it has enlisted the help of the Oregon Department of Justice to analyze cell phone tower records, and a regional lab to review computer files of potential suspects.

They must look at all potential theories: They suspect Kyron's stepmother's involvement, but did she pass the boy off to someone? Could the boy have been taken along the I-5 corridor and out of the country? They also must identify and interview child predators and sex offenders living in the area. "

I completely disagree that LE has named Terri as a suspect. That appears to be a personal opinion the reporter is expressing.

What LE stated - a quote from Staton - is that in February they *MAY* be able to name a suspect *OR* "things".

The sheriff is pushing for something to shake loose by Feb. 1, the end of a 120-day deadline he set for the task force and when he reports to county commissioners about the status of an investigation that has cost nearly $1.4 million as of Nov. 29.

"The scope is narrowing. My belief is we should be relatively close to something by then; that's why I set the time frame I did," Staton said. "While we may not be at an arrest or an indictment phase, we're going to have it narrowed down to a point where we may be calling out a suspect, identifying certain people or things."

This release raises the same issues that other releases have raised: Why is (in this case) LE choosing this time to hedge a bit on earlier insinuations? It seems that now they are indicating they may not have as much as they've hinted at in the past. I can't think why they would put it out in the general media where TH and her lawyers can see it that they're this shy on evidence. Unless they are trying to lull her into a false sense of security.

I'm not sure how I feel about LE asking Kaine and Desiree to coordinate their releases with LE beforehand. It likely makes sense for the parents to cooperate with LE, that's for sure. But if I were the parents, I wonder how I'd feel if LE seemingly "rebuked" me before the public--and this when it appears that it's been LE that's led Kaine and Desiree to make TH their suspect in the first place.

Just scratching my head aloud ... Moo.

This release raises the same issues that other releases have raised: Why is (in this case) LE choosing this time to hedge a bit on earlier insinuations? It seems that now they are indicating they may not have as much as they've hinted at in the past. I can't think why they would put it out in the general media where TH and her lawyers can see it that they're this shy on evidence. Unless they are trying to lull her into a false sense of security.

I'm not sure how I feel about LE asking Kaine and Desiree to coordinate their releases with LE beforehand. It likely makes sense for the parents to cooperate with LE, that's for sure. But if I were the parents, I wonder how I'd feel if LE seemingly "rebuked" me before the public--and this when it appears that it's been LE that's led Kaine and Desiree to make TH their suspect in the first place.

Just scratching my head aloud ... Moo.

bbm

I agree Dreamy, this article in no way implicates TH as being any more a suspect in this case than anyone else. In fact, it throws wrenches into that theory, (e.g., they're still looking into known SO's etc.). But, it may indeed be an attempt by them to make Terri feel comfortable and "slip up". Still mind games being played, IMO, big time!

There is some good info in this article if we can all read past the BS. It would be really interesting to hear the raw interview, so we could tell what is a reporter's spin vs. what actually came out of Staton's mouth. What happened to LE press releases? I don't think there's been one since October? JMO

I also did not get the impression that LE was naming Terri a suspect, rather that the reporter said that they suspect Terri, etc...

I think they are at the same place as months ago...they do suspect Terri but have no proof. Not even of what the crime is.

I also did not get the impression that LE was naming Terri a suspect, rather that the reporter said that they suspect Terri, etc...

I think they are at the same place as months ago...they do suspect Terri but have no proof. Not even of what the crime is.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I feel LE believes TH is a suspect. I do not feel they are naming her as "THE" suspect.

Kimster, absolutely respect your opinion..however to ME and probably just me..everyone is a suspect including all 300 individuals at skyline...and those beyond the school..to me, there is absolutley no way to tell...

I hate to think this way, but 6 months later? This is basically a cold case already. :(

To me, there still seems to be something "off" about this whole thing. Thinking that more than one person is involved because of not being able to account for time during that 6 hours, not having any evidence, and the parents not coordinating conferences with LE. Even the time period mentioned up until 3:45. I know that Kyron wasn't actually discovered missing (except by little schoolmates) until then, but something just doesn't seem quite right. I'm kind of wondering if everyone isn't suspecting a totally wrong person, but maybe the right person who helped. Terri wasn't actually mentioned in this latest, but it seems they are alluding to Dede as an accomplice.

Fascinating article. IMO, Just wow. This article lowers the bar in terms of "hopes" for this investigation.

Quotes lifted from article in the thread's original post link.

"Investigators suspect more than one person was involved in Kyron's disappearance and that more than one crime occurred: an alleged murder-for-hire scheme by the boy's stepmother against her husband before the boy went missing, Kyron's kidnapping, and who knows what else. They're still unsure what happened to the child, and have had to consider all options, including his being abducted, becoming a victim of human trafficking or being killed."

Staton said. "While we may not be at an arrest or an indictment phase, we're going to have it narrowed down to a point where we may be calling out a suspect, identifying certain people or things."

They point to one undeniable fact: They lack any physical evidence of Kyron, or physical evidence that links anyone to his disappearance.

"the investigation is going to continue for months."

Sometimes, investigators get ... pained by details of the case released to the public. Last month, the sheriff took Kyron's parents, Kaine Horman, Desiree and Tony Young, to lunch in Hillsboro. "We want to keep them appraised of the investigation, but asked they please coordinate with our detectives before putting out a release," Staton said.

And, with "not one shred of evidence to indicate the child has died," Staton said, investigators must push forward as though Kyron is still alive.

Though no physical evidence tied to Kyron's disappearance has been unearthed, searchers have uncovered evidence from unrelated crimes.

JMHO: This LE-sourced article simply does not support "without-a-doubt" enthusiasm that "Terri did it". It's a very disappointing reality check, but, frankly, I'm not surprised. :cow: However, IMO, it's possible LE believes we have a "Terri-associates" crime - see the quote where "more than one person" is involved and "more than one crime"...

IMO, this supports Terri's "double life" Kaine eludes to.

So we wait for ... February... ??

That's so long, so long. I am so sorry, Kyron.

On the plus side, here at WS, it's good to finally have Stanton chime in with a LE version of investigation status, isn't it?

Talking about the stolen cars they have turned up and whatnot...could those be some of the other crimes they said they have uncovered during the course of the investigation?

Talking about the stolen cars they have turned up and whatnot...could those be some of the other crimes they said they have uncovered during the course of the investigation?

Good question. It made me wonder what exactly they meant and who they meant it about. Are they talking about TH and discovering the MFH? Or are they talking about learning that some parent at the school was growing a pot plant or hadn't paid taxes or some such? A very vague, open-ended comment.

They don't know what exactly they are looking for..I'm sorry..I am lost here...
And what is this stuff you are talking about ?

LE has no idea if or how Kyron died, if you believe what LE said in the news. There was a lot of 'stuff' seized at both DDS's house and RSK's house. They don't know if it's evidence yet. Most items were put into cardboard boxes and carried out. You cannot see size or shape.

Another example of this is on Sauvie Island. There was a tarp. LE was taking items from the water that 'could' be evidence and placing them on the tarp. There were two men, looking at the items with gloves on and placing them back on the tarp. These items may be evidence. Once again though, how do they know? They will only know if items that were found during the investigation are evidence when they understand more of what happened that day (ie, if/how Kyron was killed).

-Until they know more about what happened that day, LE has no idea what evidence they have. Hence, LE has potential evidence.

Here's my take. The article was poorly written in some critical areas, and that's not just an editorial comment about awkward sentence structure but about the way the information is presented. Is there anything new in here? Is anything other than a direct quote coming straight from Staton?

"The scope is narrowing. My belief is we should be relatively close to something by then; that's why I set the time frame I did," Staton said. "While we may not be at an arrest or an indictment phase, we're going to have it narrowed down to a point where we may be calling out a suspect, identifying certain people or things."

Since this is a direct quote, I feel okay about taking it literally. Also it matches some things said in press conferences by LE in the past. They have maintained for some months now that they're confident they will resolve this, and implied that the hindrance is the lack of physical evidence. This isn't really new - we already knew that they didn't know Kyron's present location. And because of that, didn't know his fate. We also already knew that there was no evidence that he was murdered (Kaine and Desiree have told us that). The searches on Sauvie combined with pleas to keep looking for a living Kyron have told us that they don't know if he's alive or not... so Staton's words just reinforce what we already knew about that.

A grand jury has heard from at least 40 witnesses and continues to meet intermittently.

I didn't know they were still meeting; interesting.

The stepmother failed two polygraphs and walked out on a third, exams administered by different law enforcement agencies.

Hmmm.. is that new, that the LDT's were administered by different agencies?

A slew of cell phone tower records were being sought, and computer records and thousands of e-mails were to be analyzed, but persons of interest had emerged whose alibis about where they were during the six crucial hours before Kyron was reported missing didn't stack up.

Gad, that's poorly worded, and I think it has even been re-written since the article was first released. I guess it's simply referring to the TMH time line and perhaps DDS's extended lunch break (or cell phone silence, or whatever).

Re: the sex offenders, etc. To me the article was meandering between identifying the original scope of the investigation and the present scope. I took from this that when a crime has been committed with little evidence, a major goal is to systematically eliminate possibilities. Narrowing the scope, as it were. So when they talk about interviewing sex offenders, I think they meant they had to eliminate the possibility of viable leads in that direction. Not that they hadn't done so yet, or that they were focusing on a sex offender abduction. Just one of the many alternatives they had to consider and eliminate.

Also they actually have eliminated people as potential suspects. It's no longer "everyone's a person of interest!". Some folks have been cleared.

Finally, I don't feel they've rebuked Kaine and Desiree. We already knew that there was stuff they'd been told that they were asked not to share, and other things that slipped out during press conferences in the heat of the moment (usually Desiree). I don't think LE is insensitive to the fact that the parents are emotionally distraught and are not professional LEOs. Stuff will slip out. I don't think it's surprising that LE would meet with them to tell them specifically what they wanted to keep under wraps, and remind them how important keeping some stuff private for now is.

I don't think there's much new in here besides the Feb deadline they've given themselves. Their main evidence is still circumstantial, still no knowledge of Kyron's location, still moving forward.

LE has no idea if or how Kyron died, if you believe what LE said in the news. There was a lot of 'stuff' seized at both DDS's house and RSK's house. They don't know if it's evidence yet. Most items were put into cardboard boxes and carried out. You cannot see size or shape.

I think you are mistaken about this, weeds. The video you are talking about, which showed items being removed KSR's house, was of her family moving. Those items were being removed by movers, not LE. I am sure about that. KSR and her family moved from Tualatin to Lake Oswego (KSR talked about buying a new house and moving on Facebook before she was associated with Terri in the media through that video) and the TV news people just happened to show up and shoot video one of the days they were moving. None of that stuff you saw was necessarily of any interest to LE.

snipped bbm....

This is big news. and coming on the 6th month anniversary of little kyron's kidnapping. poor baby.

This didn't happen, as far as I know? They did not call her a suspect. The writer of the article said they suspect her, I believe.

I am confused about the duffle bag-like object they could not pull up-was that the same object that turned out to be a carpet roll or a different item that they still never found?

Fascinating article. IMO, Just wow. This article lowers the bar in terms of "hopes" for this investigation.

Quotes lifted from article in the thread's original post link.

JMHO: This LE-sourced article simply does not support "without-a-doubt" enthusiasm that "Terri did it". It's a very disappointing reality check, but, frankly, I'm not surprised. :cow: However, IMO, it's possible LE believes we have a "Terri-associates" crime - see the quote where "more than one person" is involved and "more than one crime"...

IMO, this supports Terri's "double life" Kaine eludes to.

So we wait for ... February... ??

That's so long, so long. I am so sorry, Kyron.

On the plus side, here at WS, it's good to finally have Stanton chime in with a LE version of investigation status, isn't it?

The comment of more than one crime occurred reminds me of when he said there are things they know that they wish they didn't know.

Here are some more articles this morning. It's amazing how different each one sounds in terms of feeling confident about the case. Even though it's the same information as the first article, the way they are each written gives me a different impression. I'm feeling a tad better than yesterday. I just think the article by Maxine Bernstein was very poorly constructed in terms of showing where they are with the case. She used some old quotes mixed in with new and made it confusing to me.

Here's a few more smaller ones. Plus, the full article in the Oregonian this morning. From what I can tell, there are only a few more sentences than what we read yesterday.

"Detectives are closer to solving the missing Oregon boy case"
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/111330244.html

"Staton more confident than ever the case will be solved"
http://www.kxl.com/Staton-Confident-Answers-in-Kyron-Case-Are-Coming-/8710448

"Multnomah County Sheriff hopeful of case's progress"
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2010/dec/05/sheriff-hopeful-of-cases-progress/

"Sheriff confident about the case even after 6 months"
http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Sheriff-confident-about-Horman-case-even-after-6-months-111327254.html

Oregonian article updated at 7:00 this morning.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/12/multnomah_county_sheriff_dan_s_2.html

This didn't happen, as far as I know? They did not call her a suspect. The writer of the article said they suspect her, I believe.

I am confused about the duffle bag-like object they could not pull up-was that the same object that turned out to be a carpet roll or a different item that they still never found?

bbm...

i snipped the info from kimster's post #21 in this thread. i don't know how to do a double quote but you can read about it there.

Here are some more articles this morning. It's amazing how different each one sounds in terms of feeling confident about the case. Even tough it's the same information as the first article, the way they are each written gives me a different impression. I'm feeling a tad better than yesterday. I just think the article by Maxine Bernstein was very poorly constructed in terms of showing where they are with the case. She used some old quotes mixed in with new and made it confusing to me.

Here's a few more smaller ones. Plus, the full article in the Oregonian this morning. From what I can tell, there are only a few more sentences than what we read yesterday.

"Detectives are closer to solving the missing Oregon boy case"
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/111330244.html

"Staton more confident than ever the case will be solved"
http://www.kxl.com/Staton-Confident-Answers-in-Kyron-Case-Are-Coming-/8710448

"Multnomah County Sheriff hopeful of case's progress"
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2010/dec/05/sheriff-hopeful-of-cases-progress/

"Sheriff confident about the case even after 6 months"
http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Sheriff-confident-about-Horman-case-even-after-6-months-111327254.html

Oregonian article updated at 7:00 this morning.
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/12/multnomah_county_sheriff_dan_s_2.html

I read those articles too...but still getting the same sinking feeling. Only the title is more optimistic, really, the info, or lack thereof, is the same...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Champ86
Back