Taking Christ out of Christmas

Neither one of you understand the greater truth....because it's a lie! Christ was not even born in December! The Bible even gives clues to when he was born which are not anywhere near December. WHY didn't they make his birth date closer to when it actually could have happened? Because they wanted to destroy the pagan celebrations! That is my point. Those petty historical details are what gave you all your Christmas.

And I just think it's kind of funny that all of the people who get upset about being PC actually feel like their holiday is being stolen from them when their ancestors stole it to begin with! Karma is a b*tch.

Merry Christmas & Happy Yule
I am not trying to get you to think different why cant you do the same?

Uh-oh. What constitutes being bad?

Violating the TOS. Basically, if a moderator says "back off," you should do so, whether or not you agree. (I'm NOT talking about Indy Gal. I have no idea what happened there.)

I would like to think that I live in a world that when I wish someone a Merry Christmas with a smile on my face they see that I'm being sincere and not "rubbing" Christmas, Christ or my faith in their face. I'm not selective on who I wish a Merry Christmas too, hence my good will toward all mankind. But what I don't want to have to worry about is if I'm saying the right words. Adults should be able to reason that since I wish them a Merry Christmas, I am not gloating that Christ is THE man. They choose how they want to feel. Not me.
I agree with everything you say, MREG2.
But adults should also be able to reason that if I wish them Happy Holidays, I'm not trying to take Christ out of Christmas. I don't want to have to worry that some group is going to boycott my business because I choose to say Happy Holidays to my clients this time of the year. My contact with them is only over the phone, I have no idea if they celebrate Christmas or not. But I do, and in the spirit of the season, I want to send them good wishes in an all inclusive way.

Yes! Greek Orthodox nativity icons always depict the cave.

I love the symmetry of Jesus' later entombment in a cave. And as a literature buff, I love the female symbolism of the "cave" :D

I also have found it interesting that he was born in a cave and was buried in a cave. I'm not getting into the female symolism of it, lol. :slap:

But adults should also be able to reason that if I wish them Happy Holidays, I'm not trying to take Christ out of Christmas. I don't want to have to worry that some group is going to boycott my business because I choose to say Happy Holidays to my clients this time of the year. My contact with them is only over the phone, I have no idea if they celebrate Christmas or not. But I do, and in the spirit of the season, I want to send them good wishes in an all inclusive way.
Great point!! I am never offended when someone says Happy Holidays, They are just doing what is right for them. But for me I would rather say Merry christmas, Happy hanaka(yeah I know I suck at spelling), Happy Kwanza

Neither one of you understand the greater truth....because it's a lie! Christ was not even born in December! The Bible even gives clues to when he was born which are not anywhere near December. WHY didn't they make his birth date closer to when it actually could have happened? Because they wanted to destroy the pagan celebrations! That is my point. Those petty historical details are what gave you all your Christmas.

And I just think it's kind of funny that all of the people who get upset about being PC actually feel like their holiday is being stolen from them when their ancestors stole it to begin with! Karma is a b*tch.

Merry Christmas & Happy Yule

To me, the greater truth of the Christmas story has nothing to do with the calendar. And I suspect Matthew and Luke would agree with me.

I don't think anyone here is arguing your points about the historical evolution of the holiday. But to the extent you are saying that neither the specific time nor ways we now celebrate "Christmas" were ordained by God, I agree with you.

WOW!!! I have been trying to be nice but IMO this is just rude to say. I am not trying to get you to think different why cant you do the same?

I am no way trying to make anyone think differently. I am just telling the truth.
I have studied Theology extensively and it just always amazes how smart people can be so ignorant of the religion they have so much faith in.

I apolgize if I seemed rude. That was not my intent.

I also have found it interesting that he was born in a cave and was buried in a cave. I'm not getting into the female symolism of it, lol. :slap:

Well, we know he was born of woman and that his body was cared for by women after his death. There is rather a unity of the "eternal feminine" when one adds the caves.

True. I don't boycott businesses. Heck, who has the time to remember which company to boycott. I do good to remember if it's a day my kid has preschool. :p

Great point!! I am never offended when someone says Happy Holidays, They are just doing what is right for them. But for me I would rather say Merry christmas, Happy hanaka(yeah I know I suck at spelling), Happy Kwanza

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Exactly!

Well, we know he was born of woman and that his body was cared for by women after his death. There is rather a unity of the "eternal feminine" when one adds the caves.

Interesting assessment!

...But I do, and in the spirit of the season, I want to send them good wishes in an all inclusive way.

Exactly. Except for you and absinthe, nobody here has addressed my basic question. Which is: in the true spirit of Christmas, isn't "charity" more important than being right?

(Let me add that the same spirit of charity should prevent us from bashing those who wish everyone a Merry Christmas.)

I am no way trying to make anyone think differently. I am just telling the truth.
I have studied Theology extensively and it just always amazes how smart people can be so ignorant of the religion they have so much faith in.

I apolgize if I seemed rude. That was not my intent.
I do appreciate you apolgizing, Thank you.

ETA I would also like to apolgize if I took you the wrong way
I just hope ember saw I deleted my post and am sorry I took her the wrong way. Sorry again

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrueCrimeTarot
Back