Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #12

Hi. I'm a new person here, and I'd just like to read a definition of the word "alleged" out of Gilbert Law Dictionary: To charge; to assert; to make an allegation. "Alleged" means only charged or asserted and not proven. I do believe in the constitutional guarantee that one is guilty until proven innocent in a court of law. I also believe in freedom of speech, and, more importantly, freedom of thought. It's a little disappointing to hear people accusing others of wearing tinfoil hats. That immediately tends to stifle anyone who is thinking outside the officially sanctioned box of approved opinions. If you stay in that box, you may win some flame wars, but you'll never get at the truth.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=22543457

Youngest bomb victim honored at Mass on birthday

The family of Martin Richard was joined by hundreds of people from Boston and the region in Sunday's tribute at St. Ann Parish in Boston's Dorchester neighborhood. The congregation cheered as Martin's 7-year-old sister, Jane, who lost a leg in the explosion, wheeled herself up the center aisle with the pastor.

*more at link

WEBRichardMemorial-GTracy-5-M.jpg

http://www.dotnews.com/2013/mass-celebrates-life-martin-richard-soaring-words-song

That is Jane sitting on the sanctuary steps with the other kids.

Thanks Kim & Capri, Heartbreaking but inspiring. True face of loss and courage.

Interesting counterpoints to what has been claimed about radicalization.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...n-told-about-radicalization-is-wrong-20130506

Jamie Bartlett, head of the Violence and Extremism program at the think tank Demos, echoes these doubts. "The word 'radicalization' suggests a fairly simple linear path toward an ultimate violent conclusion," he says. Studies suggest that although there may be stages in the evolution of a terrorist, placing them sequentially on a line, as the NYPD's report literally does, is far too pat. The stages are fluid, not a simple trajectory, and it is virtually impossible to predict who will or won't engage in violence based solely on their beliefs.

"I have found that many young home-grown al-Qaeda terrorists are not attracted by religion or ideology alone – often their knowledge of Islamist theology is wafer-thin and superficial – but also the glamour and excitement that al-Qaeda type groups purports to offer," Bartlett notes.

When it comes to why someone chooses to engage in terrorism, Horgan says, "there are the bigger social, political and religious reasons people give for becoming involved" – for instance, anger over government policies or a foreign occupation. But that leaves out a key part of the story.

"Hidden behind these bigger reasons, there are also hosts of littler reasons – personal fantasy, seeking adventure, camaraderie, purpose, identity," adds Horgan. "These lures can be very powerful, especially when you don't necessarily have a lot else going on in your life, but terrorists rarely talk about them."

Much more at link

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...ng-happened/ufxjb9O0RXyzVZNPFyGkiI/story.html
The planned exercise has eerie similarities to the police investigation that led to the capture of the alleged Boston Marathon bombers, Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, whose images were caught on video cameras and who were captured after a car chase and shoot-out with police.

In the training scenario, investigators participating in Urban Shield would have to track down footage of the bombers caught by street surveillance cameras and the phones of “witnesses.”

They would have to call on intelligence analysts to figure out which terrorist cell might be threatening the city.

I haven't visited the thread here lately .. what happened with Verizon?

http://www.politico.com/blogs/under...ton-bombing-suspect-166313.html#disqus_thread

In a little-noticed exchange before the House Judiciary Committee Thursday, Mueller acknowledged that the Russian alert was not the first time the elder Tsarnaev brother crossed the FBI's radar.

"His name had come up in two other cases," Mueller said in response to questions from Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa). "Those two other cases, the individuals had their cases closed. So, he was one or two person [sic] away."
Wow,I wonder what those other two cases were all about?It says they were not related to terrorism.
I bet they were related to drugs.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nat...hon-bombing/KibendVxgI8xDkUiKEGp6I/story.html

Mueller also told the House Judiciary Committee that the government’s recently exposed surveillance techniques, which have been criticized as too sweeping, can be credited with helping spur an investigation of an associate of Tsarnaev, Ibragim Todashev, 27. Todashev was shot to death by an FBI agent in Florida last month during an interview related to his and Tsarnaev’s possible involvement in a Waltham triple homicide. Mueller declined to comment on the specific circumstances during Thursday’s hearing, citing an ongoing investigation.

Everyone is entitled to differing opinions but some seem to take offense when another person posts an opposing view point.

As far as the US, I believe it is still the best country in the world. I do not agree with all of the changes that have taken place in the last 10 years. Obviously our immigration laws need to be re-evaluated or enforced, whichever it may be.

I live in Louisiana and surprisingly there are many people who live here that cannot speak English. Speaking our language should be a prerequisite (at the very least, set a time limit on when they need to have mastered basic English).

I believe immigrants should be monitored, especially when entering the US from a country that is known for terrorism. This is NOT an infringement on their liberties. They should not have liberties until they have earned them.

Too many people feel a sense of entitlement but no one seems to embrace the idea of accountability. I believe that we need to have a stronger system of checks and balances for every aspect of government, law enforcement, military, CIA, FBI, etc.

Yes, even in regards to the shooting of IT. He may very well have taken part in the murder of those three people. But there is a process you go through to determine guilt or innocence and a protocol for how we should go about questioning an individual so that his/her rights are not violated.

Sadly, not everyone is honest...politicians are a perfect example. The puppeteers are the ones with the deepest pockets. We cannot be naive enough to simply believe something is the truth just because one of these entities says it is so.

No one is claiming our LE is dishonest. They are simply viewing the situation as one that needs to be investigated thoroughly to make sure that this shooting couldn't have been prevented had we approached it differently. It may very well have been a justified self-defense maneuver. Perhaps it was all recorded on video. If it wasn't, I think it should be mandatory to do so in order to protect the rights of everyone involved. The FBI should not be the only entity doing an investigative review of the incident. It is only fair that an impartial investigation be done independently of the FBI and Florida LE. I think this is the point that is being conveyed.

Conclusions at this point are just speculation. We do not know what happened or why it happened. We can only hope that everything was handled correctly and professionally. The proper system of checks and balances will assure the victims family as well as other Americans that our justice system is fair and honest. All we can do is wait and see what details emerge once the investigation is completed.

I apologize. Apparently I should have posted this in the Florida shooting thread instead of the Boston Marathon thread. I've been keeping up with 3 of them so sometimes I get confused because they are all somewhat inter-related. Again, sorry!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back