Thailand - FOUND ALIVE - 12 Boys And Coach Trapped In Cave , 23 June 2018 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this is totally accurate, but it gives me a good feeling to believe it:

In Daring Underwater Cave Rescue, 4 of 13 Thai Are Freed
One by one, the first four to be rescued emerged after a treacherous, hourslong journey through the tight, underwater passageways of Tham Luang Cave. Skilled cave divers, part of a team assembled from around the world, hugged the four to their bodies as they swam through the dark.
Here is a drawing depicting a boy being 'hugged' during the journey through the submerged sections:
Diver who helped Thailand rescue says the main focus is to keep boys from panicking
tdy_news_hoda_rescue_diver_180709_1920x1080.760;428;7;70;5.jpg

No, they're being fed porridge but yesterday they were supposedly asking nurses for chicken and rice. Rice is easily digestible and according to earlier reports, I thought they had rice once they were found in the cave.
Then, there was a report about them getting basically chips but not proper nutrients.......I dunno, the reporting is all over the place.

Just saying that if they are healthy,why can't they have chicken and rice?
That's tummy friendly......in a healthy person.

The fact that they cannot have what they've supposedly asked for, makes me wonder how 'well' they really are.......that's all.

I think there is a translation issue when they are saying porridge. We may associate porridge with an oatmeal like substance but they may actually mean they gave them Congee-- which is basically chicken broth and rice: Congee - Wikipedia
(Wikipedia says it's call chok or khao tom in Thai).

What they said they are not getting is things like Khao Pad Krapow Thai Chicken Fried Rice With Basil - Kao Pad Krapao Recipe - Genius Kitchen

While the above recipe from a Western based site is pretty "healthy" looking I'm guessing the Thai version involves more frying of the chicken and rice in fat or oil(JMO). And it probably tastes better, lol. After so long of not eating solid food their bodies may not be ready for a heavy meal like that.

I don't know if this is totally accurate, but it gives me a good feeling to believe it:

In Daring Underwater Cave Rescue, 4 of 13 Thai Are Freed
One by one, the first four to be rescued emerged after a treacherous, hourslong journey through the tight, underwater passageways of Tham Luang Cave. Skilled cave divers, part of a team assembled from around the world, hugged the four to their bodies as they swam through the dark.

Teams of divers will attempt to get the remaining five people – four boys and their 25-year-old coach – out of the cave system on Tuesday, multiple local media outlets report.

Officials also hope the last phase of the operation goes faster. After the first rescue on Sunday took 11 hours, Monday's mission was finished in nine hours. At a news conference Monday night, Chiang Rai acting Gov. Narongsak Osattanakorn said the teams are hoping to complete the final extraction in four to five hours, according to Thai Public Broadcasting.

The initial 4 boys rescued were the weakest of the boys and they did not have the physical strength to "pull" themselves forward using the dive line so yes, they were "hugged" by the divers -- also why their rescue took several hours longer than the 2nd group rescued.

Eight boys rescued from cave

"But the head of the rescue operation would not confirm whether all five would come out on Tuesday night, raising questions over whether coach Ekkapol Chantawong could be left behind.
Narongsak Osottanakorn said in a press conference after Monday’s rescue that it will be up to the divers to decide whether it is possible to save all five on Tuesday.
He warned that “the plan is designed for rescuing four” and “for safety, the best number is four”.

"A senior Thai officer said the rescue plan was reviewed after Sunday’s operation to make it “sharper”, with Monday’s evacuation completed around two hours faster than that of the day before.

Rescue teams re-entered the cave system at 11am local time on Monday (2pm AEST). The fifth boy blinked into daylight at around 4.30pm (7.30pm AEST), the sixth at around 6pm local time (9pm AEST), and the seventh and eighth in quick succession at 7pm (10pm AEST)."

"On Monday evening, news service Reuters reported rescue workers had carried a person on a stretcher away from the cave complex and into a waiting ambulance, according to a witness.
He was the first boy to come out of the cave on the second day of the rescue mission to retrieve the group."

"Thailand prime minister Prayut Chan-ocha visited the divers and rescue workers at the cave site on Monday night to thank them for their efforts."
(That was probably the photo shoot and the saluting some witnessed on the live feed earlier.)

"But with monsoon rains a constant threat, the rescue of the final five from the flooded cave complex is far from guaranteed.
The perilous third rescue could be even more dangerous after heavy monsoonal rains lashed the mountainous region. There are concerns rising floodwaters in the cave complex could complicate rescue efforts and affect the evacuation."

"Defibrillators were also put in place in case the rescue should take a bad turn."

I think there is a translation issue when they are saying porridge. We may associate porridge with an oatmeal like substance but they may actually mean they gave them Congee-- which is basically chicken broth and rice: Congee - Wikipedia
(Wikipedia says it's call chok or khao tom in Thai).

What they said they are not getting is things like Khao Pad Krapow Thai Chicken Fried Rice With Basil - Kao Pad Krapao Recipe - Genius Kitchen

While the above recipe from a Western based site is pretty "healthy" looking I'm guessing the Thai version involves more frying of the chicken and rice in fat or oil(JMO). And it probably tastes better, lol. After so long of not eating solid food their bodies may not be ready for a heavy meal like that.
You very well could be correct. That may be where the chicken and rice thing came from.

There are many translation issues that are happening.

I'm so glad they've got several boys out safely! What an ordeal for them.

I'll likely get some carp from y'all about this, but I'm honestly surprised at the amount and degree of support for this coach. This wasn't an "accident." This was a very preventable event. I think it was @beatrixpotter who said in the last thread, and I agreed, that he's not a hero--the people saving them are heroes, the diver who lost his life is a hero. This guy made a terrible error in judgement, and it negatively impacted myriads of people, from the rescuers and their families, to the nearby farmers, to the kids and their families. This wasn't something that was reasonably unforeseeable. It's a huge, deep, long, watery cave! It's not like he took them to a children's museum and a random accident occurred--he took them somewhere which could pretty easily be identified as a possibly dangerous situation, and lo and behold, it was incredibly dangerous, even fatal.

On the one hand, it's nice to see so much positivity. But on the other hand, his poor decision is what got them there in the first place. I'm not saying I want the guy lynched, or necessarily even jailed, but I just can't celebrate him, either! To go into a huge, complex, cave system, right before monsoon season (that doesn't read calendars), with only one adult and twelve children!!! That's a bad ratio for any type of community activity, but to take a group of kids, by yourself, into that kind of situation is not okay and it's not at all surprising something horrible happened. Poor judgement which rises to a level of negligence, in my book.

And now I will duck in anticipation of hurled tomatoes.

I would think they are receiving IV nutrition at the hospital. If anything by mouth, it is the simplest clear diet that is available.

Remember what we are given after a major surgical procedure? This is what I would expect them to have in small amounts. Their systems have been down for days. The boys can’t begin eating soft foods immediately, I’d guess they start on the clear diet for a few days at least.

I've been sitting silently in the corner throughout this ordeal. I don't have anything substantial to add except to say that the 2 British divers are already O.B.E's, it was mentioned in one of the links to a Newspaper article in either this thread or the last. It was awarded following an earlier rescue. I would make them royalty if this were my child.

They are not known to be 'limelight seekers; and they would probably prefer, a pie and a pint at their local pub and a good nights sleep in their own beds. -x-

ETA link - maybe just Mr Stanton

Mr Stanton has since been recognised as a leading cave diver, and in 2012 he was appointed to the Order of the British Empire.

The divers leading the Thai cave rescue

Thanks for posting this. Important to note that majority of even the bottom middle class in Thailand send the children to boarding school. This is a financially poor rural village where Coach has truly given the boys more than what would be without his efforts. These parents have been very quick to defend him.

I figure if the parents don't hold him responsible, why should I? The culture there is much different and it's much more "free range" than it is here. Some things will just be difficult for us to understand.

No, they're being fed porridge but yesterday they were supposedly asking nurses for chicken and rice. Rice is easily digestible and according to earlier reports, I thought they had rice once they were found in the cave.
Then, there was a report about them getting basically chips but not proper nutrients.......I dunno, the reporting is all over the place.

Just saying that if they are healthy,why can't they have chicken and rice?
That's tummy friendly......in a healthy person.

The fact that they cannot have what they've supposedly asked for, makes me wonder how 'well' they really are.......that's all.

It's very true. I'm actually making chicken and rice for my dog right now. It's pretty universally a good introductory food during GI issues. Hopefully the translation is off and what we are hearing as porridge is actually chicken and rice.

I'm so glad they've got several boys out safely! What an ordeal for them.

I'll likely get some carp from y'all about this, but I'm honestly surprised at the amount and degree of support for this coach. This wasn't an "accident." This was a very preventable event. I think it was @beatrixpotter who said in the last thread, and I agreed, that he's not a hero--the people saving them are heroes, the diver who lost his life is a hero. This guy made a terrible error in judgement, and it negatively impacted myriads of people, from the rescuers and their families, to the nearby farmers, to the kids and their families. This wasn't something that was reasonably unforeseeable. It's a huge, deep, long, watery cave! It's not like he took them to a children's museum and a random accident occurred--he took them somewhere which could pretty easily be identified as a possibly dangerous situation, and lo and behold, it was incredibly dangerous, even fatal.

On the one hand, it's nice to see so much positivity. But on the other hand, his poor decision is what got them there in the first place. I'm not saying I want the guy lynched, or necessarily even jailed, but I just can't celebrate him, either! To go into a huge, complex, cave system, right before monsoon season (that doesn't read calendars), with only one adult and twelve children!!! That's a bad ratio for any type of community activity, but to take a group of kids, by yourself, into that kind of situation is not okay and it's not at all surprising something horrible happened. Poor judgement which rises to a level of negligence, in my book.

And now I will duck in anticipation of hurled tomatoes.

love you but <hurling tomatoes>

..."
Officials said the rescued boys are being kept in quarantine due to fear of infection.

"In general, the thing they're mainly concerned of is leptospirosis," Glatter said. The CDC says leptospirosis is caused by bacteria found in rodent waste and can lead to kidney damage or meningitis; such infections claimed a number of lives in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria.
....."
What kind of medical treatment could the Thailand cave survivors need?

Fixed usually with doxycycline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member