The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

How are they going to bathe? How much bottled water would it take to clean yourself? Not even considering all the rest that you mentioned. I think it is premature but I also understand the tax base is eroding.We all want to see positive moves but not at the risk of major health risks.

concernedperson said:
How are they going to bathe? How much bottled water would it take to clean yourself? Not even considering all the rest that you mentioned. I think it is premature but I also understand the tax base is eroding.We all want to see positive moves but not at the risk of major health risks.
Even if they tell everyone "don't drink the tap water", people being people, there will be those that will drink the damn tap water. And within 24 hours they'll have microbes the size of toy poodles shooting out every major orifice.
Not a smart move.
As one reporter from New Orleans put it "Having an international reputation for being carefree does not encourage one to prepare for disaster".

BillyGoatGruff said:
Even if they tell everyone "don't drink the tap water", people being people, there will be those that will drink the damn tap water. And within 24 hours they'll have microbes the size of toy poodles shooting out every major orifice.
Not a smart move.
As one reporter from New Orleans put it "Having an international reputation for being carefree does not encourage one to prepare for disaster".

I'm telling you - we haven't seen lawsuits like the ones that will come from people claiming sickness AFTER going back in there. It's an open invitation. Come back. Touch everything. Get sick. Sue your government.

hurricanekatrina.jpg

hurricanekatrina3.jpg

i000766_big.jpg

i000768_big.jpg

Holy Crap :eek:

You just don't mess with mother nature, run for the hills.

Concerned person asked my to post these for her. I have been fighting some 'puter problems all day and just now got them up.
I have to confess when I was getting ready to post them, I didn't really examime them. So after posting, I got my first good look.
All I can say is Wow! Totally awesome!

Do you know where these photos came from? someone sent them to me earlier today, and I was wondering.

Holy cow, incredible and frightening!!! Thanks for sharing.

OMG these are National geographic worthy!!

You should take them off here and sell them to every publication you can think of.
Donate the money..

Are these for real?

ETA: okay I see the snopes link. They are still pretty fantastic photos. Thanks for posting!

They're gorgeous anyway. They didn't look quite right for Katrina, but beautiful!

Published: September 18, 2005

SNIP ONLY:

Friday, the city released re-entry guidelines it planned to distribute at two primary entry points, the intersection of Interstate 10 East at the Pontchartrain Expressway and the West Bank Expressway into Algiers.

Among the warnings:

¶"You are entering at your own risk. The City of New Orleans remains a hazardous site, and ongoing health and safety issues are being assessed."

¶"You may not be outside between 6 p.m. and 8 a.m., either in a vehicle or on foot. This will be strictly enforced. Keep personal identification with you at all times."

¶"Police and fire services are limited. The 911 system is not fully functional at this time."

Mayor Nagin has said he has been criticized for not reopening parts of the city sooner. Others say it remains far from ready for residents.

Vice Adm. Thad W. Allen of the Coast Guard, who is leading the federal recovery effort, warned of continuing safety and health risks from floodwaters, sludge and tap water.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/18/national/nationalspecial/18storm.html?ex=1127620800&en=51e54e3b4f3b7aaf&ei=5009&partner=MSN_NYTHOME

Tom'sGirl said:
Published: September 18, 2005

SNIP ONLY:

Friday, the city released re-entry guidelines it planned to distribute at two primary entry points, the intersection of Interstate 10 East at the Pontchartrain Expressway and the West Bank Expressway into Algiers.

Among the warnings:

¶"You are entering at your own risk. The City of New Orleans remains a hazardous site, and ongoing health and safety issues are being assessed."

¶"You may not be outside between 6 p.m. and 8 a.m., either in a vehicle or on foot. This will be strictly enforced. Keep personal identification with you at all times."

¶"Police and fire services are limited. The 911 system is not fully functional at this time."

Mayor Nagin has said he has been criticized for not reopening parts of the city sooner. Others say it remains far from ready for residents.

Vice Adm. Thad W. Allen of the Coast Guard, who is leading the federal recovery effort, warned of continuing safety and health risks from floodwaters, sludge and tap water.

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/18/national/nationalspecial/18storm.html?ex=1127620800&en=51e54e3b4f3b7aaf&ei=5009&partner=MSN_NYTHOME"]http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/18/national/nationalspecial/18storm.html?ex=1127620800&en=51e54e3b4f3b7aaf&ei=5009&partner=MSN_NYTHOME[/url]
The Coast Guard and others are describing Nagin's plan as "problematic". Which is a polite way of saying "screwed up".

BillyGoatGruff said:
The Coast Guard and others are describing Nagin's plan as "problematic". Which is a polite way of saying "screwed up".
Sad isn't it? They didn't heed the warning before Katrina, and now after Karina more of the same. What a shame.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ulanov911
Back