The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina

LadyLuck said:
WE have a center opened up in a church way up in N. Alabama. Some of the people from La had to drive this far to find a hotel room. They ran out of money. A local church opened up a shelter and is providing food, etc.

My daughter lives east of Dallas and alot of survivors are already there. One church has about five hundred. Her company donated goods directly for these people to use and reports are coming out about people taking in others and already helping some with jobs. One man had a home, an empty home and took two elderly couples from the shelter.

Right now, there are many people without food and water at the civic center. It's been reported that babies are dying of dehydration. They need to get out of there first and afterwards, I don't think that it would be a good idea at all to force a bunch of people onto some military base and make them help themselves by being cooks and lawn care workers. There are thousand of apartment complexes in every state where they can get low rent housing, food stamps, help with day care, and apply for jobs of their own choosing. These people know how to help themselves already, they just need to get some food and water to survive another hour.

txsvicki said:
Just reported, babies are dying of dehydration at the civic center.

I just don't understand this. I don't understand why they can't drop water and food with all the helicopters being flown around. I don't understand and not one FEMA person or local or state has explained this to me.

AZ_Veteran said:
Praying for your son, and proud of him too.
Great post AZ_Veteran. :clap:

Praying for the men & woman trying to do their jobs and the victims that despartately need them.

txsvicki said:
Just reported, babies are dying of dehydration at the civic center.
I first heard that earlier this afternoon. There's a firsthand report from an MSNBC journalist over in the main hurricane thread. I think he said he saw two babies who had already died. I only say this because I think it's worth noting how long it's been that we knew children and adults were dying without adequate help coming to them.

ShowerSinger said:
The BIG picture!
More Important Than...
1. Other countries.
These are Americans.
2. Priority SHOULD dictate to our g'ment we're#1
3. Closed military bases are available for housing.
A. Compassion for our own.
B. Basic needs can/will be met to sustain living.

These refugees are AMERICANS!
We ARE the most humane country, of all countries.

These resources ARE available NOW.

Listen Up, Government.
"CHARITY STARTS AT HOME!"

So TRUE!!! I also emailed everyone on the list you provided! You had/have a wonderful idea with the bases!

txsvicki said:
My daughter lives east of Dallas and alot of survivors are already there. One church has about five hundred. Her company donated goods directly for these people to use and reports are coming out about people taking in others and already helping some with jobs. One man had a home, an empty home and took two elderly couples from the shelter.

Waco is already opening shelters (3) and all hotels today were full. This is 10 hours away from NO - that was surprising to me, but now that we know how bad it is, I guess it shouldn't be surprising.

To pet owners near Lafayette, LA

forwarded with permission:

> I don't have time to spend on the internet finding and learning how
> to post right now. Please just let all members know that we have
> opened a pet shelter at Blackham Coliseum in Lafayette, right next
> to the Cajundome. Evacuees may bring their pets their for housing.
> We have PLENTY of food, water, crates, cages, bedding and
> newspaper. BUT the owners are responsible for feeding, watering,
> walking and medicating their own pets.
> Interested parties may call Lafayette Parish Animal Control at
> 337-291-5644 for more information.
> Also many area vets are accepting animals right now, until they fill
> up. Get the Yellow Pages out!
> Please help me to get this word out. I've been working non-stop!
> THANKS!
> Nancy Marcantel

I found a house for a family of six and have donated what I can but we need to do more. Keep it going because citizens will ultimately make the difference.

CK can you post this also in the Jury Room under the thread about Katrina?
As an animal lover this just tugs my heart.
I will do it if you want me to.

mic730 said:
CK can you post this also in the Jury Room under the thread about Katrina?
As an animal lover this just tugs my heart.
I will do it if you want me to.
Mic, please go ahead, copy and post it wherever you want. We are huge animal lovers, too. We have a housefull of abandoned dogs.

CherokeeKid said:
Mic, please go ahead, copy and post it wherever you want. We are huge animal lovers, too. We have a housefull of abandoned dogs.

Done. Thx for the info.
2 dogs and 1 cat here not counting the stray cat with 3 kittens. All I do is change cat litter. No worries they have homes to go to in the next week.

It's a good idea to tell nearly a half a million people who are now refugees that the federal government won't help them rebuild their beloved city?...but it's a good idea to spend billions to tear down and rebuild Baghdad, Iraq?

dunno...seems wrong, but that's just me...

House Speaker Dennis Hastert

Speaking to a Chicago newspaper, said that any attempt at rebuilding the Big Easy, "didn't make sense to me." Here's a snip:

Hastert said that he supports an emergency bailout, but raised questions about a long-term rebuilding effort. As the most powerful voice in the Republican-controlled House, Hastert is in a position to block any legislation that he opposes.

"We help replace, we help relieve disaster," Hastert said. "But I think federal insurance and everything that goes along with it... we ought to take a second look at that."

Everyone knows I love New Orleans but this is something to be considered. After it is all said and done who will be there? The big oil companies. the big insurance companies, I think not. They will move to Houston as they have for a decade.You will see grocery stores and anxillary support systems. But the crux of an infrastructure will be gone. No jobs, no real reason to be there. Take the insurance money and run. It is a destruction of an American city with no future. Fixing the levees won't work now if any astute business person is involved.

I have made my donations and pray for our people in LA, MS and AL.

Nawlins was an awesome place, unlike any other city in the US. I will miss it forever...

ariel

mic730 said:
Done. Thx for the info.
2 dogs and 1 cat here not counting the stray cat with 3 kittens. All I do is change cat litter. No worries they have homes to go to in the next week.
Good!! Make sure they will get spayed and neutered. Kittens and puppies are old enough to give birth at 9 months of age.

We have currently nine large dog and one cat. They sleep in my bed, on my couch and reign the house. LOL

arielilane said:
I have made my donations and pray for our people in LA, MS and AL.

Nawlins was an awesome place, unlike any other city in the US. I will miss it forever...

ariel
Ariel Nawlins will be back WITH a vengeance-guaranteed-no question-can't imagine good ole USofA without the big easy

On a sad note, Fats Domino is missing from his downtown Big Easy apartment-it was in the low lying part of town-he decided to ride out the hurricane and refused to evacuate-his manager last heard from him Sunday night-lets hope and pray that Fats and all other missing are found safe.

ETA: Fats has been rescued!!!! Yesss

The word in Alabama is they are planning, on moving 10,000 people to the barracks at Fort McClellan, AL.
However, the mayor of Anniston is floundering. We shall see.
Thanks to everyone here for their efforts!
(Gonna drag my cranky hormonal butt to bed now.)

ShowerSinger said:
The word in Alabama is they are planning, on moving 10,000 people to the barracks at Fort McClellan, AL.
However, the mayor of Anniston is floundering. We shall see.
Thanks to everyone here for their efforts!
(Gonna drag my cranky hormonal butt to bed now.)

You did good.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back