The Dardeen Family - Ruby, Keith, Pete, & newborn. Nov. 1987.

cnmccarthy

Reaction score
I was so surprised to not see a thread for them. I hope it’s not because of family wishes and that I may be stepping on any toes. I will report this new post to make sure that isn’t the case.

[…]“Keith failed to show up for work for his night shift, and nobody could reach his family. Concerned, his parents contacted the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, and headed south with a key to the trailer. Police met them at the scene. Keith’s car was missing, and they went inside. What they found was indescribable.

Elaine was sexually mutilated and bludgeoned to death with a baseball bat. So was her son Peter. Baby Casey, due in two months, arrived during the beatings. She too, was beaten to death. There was no sign of Keith. […] <MORE AT LINK>

Many people believe that the serial killer Tommy Lynn Sells was involved but I don’t know if I agree.

<modsnip> I just don’t see how any of his family would’ve allowed Tommy through the door (there were no signs of forced entry). They had even put their house up for sale to move to a safer area.

<modsnip: not approved sources>
Gruesome murder of an Illinois family remains unsolved as the main suspect is executed

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some more news articles about the case.

Unsolved murder still haunts Tri-State family two decades later.

13-YEAR VIGIL OF FEAR EASES IN ILLINOIS TOWN
I have no comfort with this guy," she said of Sells through teary eyes. "I am absolutely terrified. My husband says, `Why are you afraid? He's in jail.' Well, then why am I so nervous?"

It could be because local investigators had never heard of Sells before his confession. They had even warned family members not to be surprised if one of their own was responsible.
Heartland Unsolved: Never Forget.
The unspeakable brutality of the crimes immediately raised questions about a possible cult-related attack. Investigators quickly ruled that out, along with robbery, since there was no forced entry to the trailer and nothing missing.

The Dardeen Family: Elaine, Keith, and Peter. 1987

Picture of

LINKS:

Last edited:

The Dardeen Family: Elaine, Keith, and Peter. 1987

Picture of

LINKS:

Thank you so much!!

I was so surprised to not see a thread for them. I hope it’s not because of family wishes and that I may be stepping on any toes. I will report this new post to make sure that isn’t the case.

[…]“Keith failed to show up for work for his night shift, and nobody could reach his family. Concerned, his parents contacted the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, and headed south with a key to the trailer. Police met them at the scene. Keith’s car was missing, and they went inside. What they found was indescribable.

Elaine was sexually mutilated and bludgeoned to death with a baseball bat. So was her son Peter. Baby Casey, due in two months, arrived during the beatings. She too, was beaten to death. There was no sign of Keith. […] <MORE AT LINK>

Many people believe that the serial killer Tommy Lynn Sells was involved but I don’t know if I agree.

<modsnip> I just don’t see how any of his family would’ve allowed Tommy through the door (there were no signs of forced entry). They had even put their house up for sale to move to a safer area.

<modsnip: not approved sources>
Gruesome murder of an Illinois family remains unsolved as the main suspect is executed
Thank you so much for making a thread about this family. This is one case that truly keeps me up at night.

I wonder if testing DNA has been done since advancements in DNA have been made.

I agree I don't believe it to be the serial killer, it seems way too brutally personal.

The Dardeens deserve justice even if the perp is deceased.

If you want to share your thoughts, and theories on the Dardeen case, join us live tonight March 5, at 9PM Eastern as we discuss the case on the Citizen Detective Podcast.
Our panel includes a retired homicide detective, a DNA lab director, and a criminologist.

Join live via our Facebook homepage:
Citizen Detective Podcast

or in our Facebook group:
Citizen Detective Podcast Discussion | Facebook

On Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSgvqIuf4-sEF2aDdNGip2w

On Twitter:
https://twitter.com/CitizenDPod

You can also leave us a voicemail that we may play on the air
Send a voice message to citizendetective

Keith's friend Kevin Harris — who was the best man at the couple's wedding — told KFVS-12, that Keith and Elaine were "two of the nicest people you’d ever want to meet.”

“They were such loving, caring people,” Harris added. “It’s hard to imagine how somebody can do something like this.”

Years later, serial killer Tommy Lynn Sells claimed he was responsible for the murders, but he was reportedly known to falsely confess to multiple crimes across the U.S., and the Dardeen family murder is still considered unsolved. In 2014, Sells was executed for murdering a 13-year-old girl.

Kieth's mother, Joeann Dardeen, told KFVS-12 in 2019 that she'll never give up searching for her son and his family's killer.

"[Investigators] told us in the beginning that we need to keep the story out there," Joeann told the outlet. "We need to keep it going."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvfire1018
Back