The Grim Sleeper. Update: Arrest in the Grim Sleeper Case!

Get this, the guy used to work as a mechanic at a Police station.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/local/los_angeles&id=7542017

Police have made an arrest in the "Grim Sleeper" serial killings on Wednesday, according to an AP source.
According to the L.A. Times, 51-year-old Lonnie David Franklin Jr. was arrested.
A large group of detectives were seen outside homes on 81st Street between Western Avenue and Harvard Boulevard early Wednesday afternoon.
The so-called "Grim Sleeper" is believed to have killed 11 black people since 1985.

More at link

From that article: "Neighbors described the man who lives there as friendly and quiet. They said he was often seen working on cars in his front yard and would sometimes stop to chat with passers-by. " Maybe he used cars/vans he worked on during the murders.

Cooley said Franklin's arrest was the first successful use of a DNA investigative tool known as "familiar" searching in California.

Updated at 1:08 p.m.: A source told The Times Franklin worked as a trash collector but retired at some point. The long gaps between his two distinct sets of killings correspond to a time in which Franklin was on disability, the source said.]
[Updated at 1:27 p.m.: Neighbors expressed shock at Franklin's arrest. They said he volunteered at the local park and that his daughter had just graduated from college.

“He’s the neighborhood mechanic“ said Eric Robinson, 47. “He volunteers at the park. A very good man. His daughter just graduated from college, I believe. He’s a good mechanic, worked out of his garage. I’ve been here since 1976 that’s how long I’ve known him. I’m not pretty shocked, I’m all the way shocked.]

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/07/lapd-make-arrest-in-grim-sleeper-serial-killings.html

Pizza slice helped link suspect to Grim Sleeper serial killings, sources say

In recent days, the LAPD received the results of what is known as a familiar DNA search, which trolls through state felon databases for partial DNA matches that would indicate a match to a relative, a source said.

The suspect in the killings had left DNA evidence at several of the crime scenes. The LAPD learned that a man in state prison showed a strong familial match. Detectives questioned the man, who was too young to have committed several of the older murders, and he led detectives to his father, Franklin, the source said. Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Steve Cooley said detectives got a piece of discarded pizza with Franklin's DNA to make the link.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...-suspect-to-grim-sleeper-serial-killings.html

This is such great news! It looks like "familiar" DNA testing might just be the key to solving cold cases! I'm anxious to see what other cases might be cracked due to this type of testing.

Wow. This is exactly the kind of man I thought he'd turn out to be -- a decent family man with a black evil side...

He lives in the very neighborhood where all the bodies were dumped. And, I guess he has lived there for years and years.

81st just east of Western Ave.

So, according the the LA Weekly article:

http://www.laweekly.com/2008-08-28/news/grim-sleeper/4

Victim Number nine, the sole survivor:

"Then the LAPD got its biggest break of all, in the form of Victim No. 9. She was the sole survivor, attacked just before the Grim Sleeper vanished for 13 years. Victim No. 9, who still lives in Los Angeles (and who the Weekly is not identifying to ensure her safety), provided police the first eyewitness description of the attacker and his car. She said he was a 30-ish black man with short hair, driving a rust, red or orange Ford Pinto — the very car victims Monique Alexander and Mary Lowe were reportedly last seen riding in.

In nightmarish detail, the survivor told police she was picked up by a male motorist on November 20, 1988, on the corner of 81st Street and Western Avenue. But he then wielded a gun, shot her in the chest and then raped her. Seriously wounded, she persuaded the killer to let her jump out of the car."

Good grief, he picked her up literally 1/2 of a short block away from his own house!!! Surely the people in that neighborhood would know who around there was driving that Pinto. And, two other victims were last seen driving away with some guy in a similar Pinto. Doesn't do much good to Monday morning quarterback. I am very interested in this familial DNA technique. I imagine there are many more things to be discovered about DNA in the years to come.
It made me think today, and wonder what would be the outcome if some of today's present DNA techniques were applied to the Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman murders.

Neighbors: Man accused in Los Angeles prostitute slayings kept photos of sex workers in garage

THOMAS WATKINS Associated Press Writer
8:35 a.m. CDT, July 8, 2010

LOS ANGELES (AP) — To many of his neighbors and customers, Lonnie Franklin Jr. was just a friendly mechanic who often stopped to chat as he tinkered on cars in the front driveway of his mint-green house on 81st Street.

But after police identified him as a serial killer Wednesday, other neighbors recalled traits that suddenly seemed chilling.

<snip>

Some neighbors said Franklin made no secret of enjoying the company of sex workers, who he would often bring back to a camper parked in his backyard filled with old cars and junk.

Tasha Cole said he would point out different prostitutes when they would walk by and talk about them disrespectfully.

"He knew all of them and their stories," she said.

Another neighbor, Sherwood Howard, said Franklin would show off nude photos he took of the women from the neck down and talk about his exploits. He kept the pictures in the garage.

"He'd go and mess with women all night long," Howard said. "We knew he was kind of weird, but he was a regular person. We never suspected he was killing them."

more here

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-ap-us-grim-sleeper-killings,0,4589055.story

Grim Sleeper: For relatives of victims, it was a long wait for news of an arrest

July 8, 2010

"On Thursday, the Los Angeles Police Department will hold its first press conference detailing the arrest on Wednesday of a suspect in the "Grim Sleeper" slayings. The families of many victims will be there to offer their thoughts on the arrest."

This article has pictures of all the victims and interviews with some of the family members.

Good work, LAPD...just good work. Nicely done!

best-
Herding Cats

Grim Sleeper: For relatives of victims, it was a long wait for news of an arrest

July 8, 2010

"On Thursday, the Los Angeles Police Department will hold its first press conference detailing the arrest on Wednesday of a suspect in the "Grim Sleeper" slayings. The families of many victims will be there to offer their thoughts on the arrest."

This article has pictures of all the victims and interviews with some of the family members.

Great article and thanks for sharing i.b.nora! Kudos to LAPD and I am sending healing prayers of closure to the victims' families.

I hope we see some of this 'perps' mug shots soon since he has priors. He's a true monster living among us. I'll bet his neighbors are totally creeped out right now! I would be!

wm

CBS2/KCAL9's David Goldstein found out this week that Franklin was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon in 1999 and was sentenced to 90 days in jail; in 1993 and 2003 he was convicted of receiving stolen property and served less than a year behind bars. In all of these cases, his time was served in local jails and not in state prison, which could have changed the case years ago:

Also recent pic of the killer at link...

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/city-news/grim-sleeper-criminal-record/

There is a picture of his place on google maps street view and there is a camper parked in the driveway and a car out front that looks like two guys(maybe lonnie) are working on. This google maps can be chilling sometimes.

This is a new article about the DNA and the arrest:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/07/how-dna-led-to-the-arrest-of-the-grim-sleeper.html

Grim Sleeper: How LAPD followed the DNA to an arrest
July 8, 2010 | 11:11 am

The call to Los Angeles Police Department headquarters from the state Department of Justice came on Wednesday. The message was cryptic -- only that there was an urgent need to talk and that it had something to do with a "familial DNA" search. No mention of the specific case. No names were given. But LAPD officials knew it had something to do with the killer they'd dubbed the "Grim Sleeper."

The LAPD had been hunting the man who had stalked South Los Angeles since 1985, killing at least 10 women.

An official with close knowledge of the case said state justice officials made the initial DNA hit two weeks prior to Wednesday's call, but they were concerned about privacy violations and getting it right. So they spent two weeks retesting results and going through the legal checks and balances. When they believed they had the results firmly in hand, they picked up the phone to the LAPD, the official said.

As LAPD officials realized the gravity of the news, Chief Charlie Beck kept the circle tight. No one was to know about the DNA hit until police had a game plan for how to proceed. No information would leak out, not even deputy chiefs were in the loop.

much much more ...

I believe Hillside Strangler Angelo Buono also lived in the area where the bodies of his victims were found.

David From TN

Los Angeles police detectives are re-examining at least 30 unsolved killings of women in South Los Angeles to see if they can link the homicides to the man accused of being the Grim Sleeper serial killer.
LAPD sources told The Times that the 30 cases share similarities to the slayings linked to Lonnie David Franklin Jr., who appeared briefly in court Thursday charged with 10 counts of murder involving women killed over parts of three decades in South L.A.

More at link:
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...at-least-30-unsolved-killings-of-women-i.html

"The suspect spent most of his daylight hours indoors, sources said. He left his house on 81st Street only to run a few mundane errands &#8212; to an auto parts store, nothing that would allow detectives to retrieve any DNA samples."

In the evenings he would take long drives, sometimes going by places known for prostitution. LE got lucky one eve when he stopped for pizza. They got everything he threw out, and the DNA matched.

The only known surviving victim is now heard from ....

"When asked whether Franklin was the same man who shot her, Washington replied: "Looking at the pictures, yeah, it was kind of almost right on target. When I saw him he was younger, skinnier&#8230;. He was a neat person, that's why I wasn't feeling threatened when I finally accepted the ride. He wasn't dressed crazy. He didn't look crazy."

[This article has 2 pages, most info comes from page 2]

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lapd-grim-sleeper-20100709,0,1997186.story?page=2

'Everybody knew Lonnie'
Neighbors describe the suspect in the Grim Sleeper killings as someone who was always willing to help. He was friendly — but showed a dark side toward some women, neighbors say.

By Hector Becerra and Scott Gold, Los Angeles Times
July 9, 2010

This is a particularly good article. Talks with some of his neighbors and friends. It seems that no one ever suspected a thing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley
Back