The Murder of Janet Abaroa #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lawyers Say Evidence Backlog Delays Drunken-Driving Case

POSTED: 4:35 pm EDT May 20, 2005
UPDATED: 8:21 pm EDT May 20, 2005

DURHAM, N.C. -- A backlog of evidence may be delaying a drunken-driving murder case.

Kenneth Maready is charged with causing a deadly wreck in Durham in February.

His lawyers said they still have not received vital evidence such as crime scene photos and the victim's autopsy report.

Maready is accused of being drunk when his pickup hit a car driven by Kay Stokes, who died.

Police said Maready has at least six convictions for driving while impaired on his criminal record.

Previous Stories:
Copyright 2005 by WRAL.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Maybe the backlog is evidence from Janet's case?

Someone asked WHAT would be swabbed at a crimescene.
To the best of my knowledge, and keeping in mind what we already know from the police about their crimescene work at the Abaroa house ( I refuse to call it a home any longer), moistened and perhaps some dry large Q- tip like sterile medical swabs are used to collect wet and dried biological material. They would have used luminol or another reagent to find fluids with a protein base ( blood, saliva, urine, semen, you name it, if it is a body fluid, it will luminesce). So would their pets' vomit, fecal material in minute quantities, and vomit.
Same for the baby's.

Then they would take their swab tube, and using the swab, collect a single small sample or specimen of the biological material.
Each swabbing would be from a very small area. Each would be labeled as to where found and photos would accompany the swab to pinpoint location. Each would be sealed with a special seal and would follow a physical chain of custody which cannot be broken from time of collection to time entered into the state lab.

I think they probably paid close attention to every room in the house, especially one which might be rather far from the room where the assault with a deadly weapon took place- the kitchen. Knives from the kitchen were a major focus. Multiple stab wounds sometimes mean that multiple knives were used. If a knife handle broke, then the perp. would have had to get another knife from a source at hand, transferring blood in the process.

Sometimes, the investigators are working blindly. In other words, they cannot see blood or a fluid substance, but know that due to splatter patterns and the force of gravity, there may be something hidden. I would expect this is the case in at least some of the truck swabbings.. perhaps in the crevices of the foot pedals, the recesses of the door handles, inside the stitching pattern on the seat or seats, under the dashboard and on the steering wheel, inside door panels, and definitely under and around where the knife was found in the truck.
" Trace material" often is too minute to show up except under microscopes and then DNA is extracted and tested.

What they are looking for is Janet's blood in places it should not be, in places where it cannot be easily explained. Since she lived in the house and presumably used the truck, it gets tricky and the age of the blood and where found becomes an issue.
They may also be looking for her blood co-mingled with another person's at the crimescene, because I would expect that she put up a struggle. Whether or not A suspect had any defensive wounds is another matter. I don't know.

In addition to swabbings, they should also have vacuumed the truck, the carpet of each room of the house, especially the guest bedroom where she was killed, Kaiden's room and the bathrooms. They would be looking for hairs and fibers which are " stray".. just like in the Gricar disappearance, several cigarette ashes were found on the floormat. Michael Baden says not unusual, probably tracked in on a shoe because they were so minute. We track things around on our shoes and sometimes in our hair and clothing after close contact with others.

They should have also done the standard fingerprinting of Janet's fingers and palm prints, Raven's, and maybe Kaiden's, not sure.

We KNOW they did extensive testing to the outdoors as well. There's something about those quarters, I think. They may also have found blood on grass around the creek.

Janet's autopsy would tell the investigators a great deal; one of the greatest things would hopefully be an accurate time of death. Her hands would be bagged at the crimescene. At autopsy, each fingernail would be clipped with a separate sterile nail clipper and scrapings would be done to test for foreign skin, blood or fibers under her nails greater than normal for what usually resides under our nails.

About the lack of underwear collected at the crimescene from Raven: I did see multiple men's underwear listed as being removed from the house as well as socks and shoes. I am not sure if the clothing he was wearing was listed separately, will have to go back and look, but if it was, and no underwear briefs, boxers, or temple garments are listed, then I would theorize that he was undie-less. Indicative of someone dressing in a hurry, perhaps?

This is a very basic summary of what is done at a crimescene.

Jenifred said:
Maybe the backlog is evidence from Janet's case?
I am concerned the backlog may be from other cases which could affect how quickly Janet's case is solved.

Moxie said:
I am concerned the backlog may be from other cases which could affect how quickly Janet's case is solved.

I read their news daily, and it is a virtual bloodbath up there. Horrific crimes every single day. They need HELP processing their evidence!!

Was the change collected definitely only quarters? The inventory list stated "silver" so I don't know if it included dimes and nickels.

JerseyGirl said:
Was the change collected definitely only quarters? The inventory list stated "silver" so I don't know if it included dimes and nickels.

Jerseygirl, I read that it was quarters somewhere. I can't pull up some of the archived newspaper stories, so I can't verify that 100% now, but I did read it. The count of the quarters was given as well, and not from the search warrant inventory list.

misterallgood, are you able to do the same thing with the video of Janet cooking?

misterallgood said:
Abaroa Xmas Video, 2003

Since the first link I posted may be short-lived, due to the way the archive.org site works, I made this second link at a free video hosting site.

Thanks Misterallgood:blowkiss: rated it a 10

JerseyGirl said:
misterallgood, are you able to do the same thing with the video of Janet cooking?
I'm seeing about that... though the video is shorter, it's also bigger data-wise -- it's an mpeg, I guess it's less compressed.

I'll post the link if it goes up okay.

Spent most of the day reading up on this one. Great observations in here. It was hard to wade through, so excuse if this has already been posted, but I thought I'd add my search into the mix.

Zabasearch

I saw the Christmas video at your blog. Great stuff there. The knife in the video creeped me out. Wonder where it is.

LvsAMystry said:
I saw the Christmas video at your blog. Great stuff there. The knife in the video creeped me out. Wonder where it is.
I've wondered that, too.

So I checked. In the video, he refers to the folding knife as being a Buck knife.

The only name brand knife shown on this page of the search warrant is "Bearclaw." Bearclaw brand knives can not be mistaken with buck knives -- apparently Lee Oates has been making Bearclaw knives by hand for nearly 20 years. Buck knives are an old brand, they've been the mass-marketed hunting knife of choice for over 90 years.

So... where's the buck knife? Admittedly, the Xmas video was made 1 1/2 years ago -- in that time he could have sold it on e-bay. It's still a question worth asking, I'd think.

http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/238

Here's a link to all the folding knives Buck currently has for sale.

Of course, Raven could have had a knock-off; "Buck" has become a generic term for any knife of that sort.

I didn't see one that exactly matched what I saw in the video, but could easily have missed something.

pocketpcguy.com

http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/promotions/ref/coswhoisresults-eai.jhtml?dom=pocketpcguy.com
Registrant:
Samuel Peters
RTeSolutions.com
PO Box 1603
Hillsborough, NC 27278
US
The above is from the NetworkSolutions whois record for the person who registered the domain pocketpcguy.com.

Probably not of any real significance... you could say that he certainly seemed fast and loose with facts and names when he chose, or perhaps that he was being security conscious by not giving his real name.

Go figure.

golfmom said:
Signature of Raven at another message board . . .

http://www.examnotes.net/article1044411-2.html

"Just when I think I have learned the way to live, life changes and I am left the same. The more things change, the more I am the same. I am what I started with, and when its all over I will be all that is left of me."

- High Prather, novelist
..........his profile at the above site...

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Profile For nc_vx[/font][font=verdana,arial,helvetica]Search for all posts by this user.[/font]Date Registered:04-04-05Status:Junior Member
clear.gif
Total Posts:3 (0.06 posts per day)Last Post:04-19-05 02:56 PM
Advice Needed PleaseContact nc_vx:
Send nc_vx a Private Message!
Click here to add nc_vx to your buddy list Homepage: ICQ Number: AOL Instant Messenger Handle: Yahoo Instant Messenger Handle: Referrals0BirthdayOctober 11th, 1979Community updates GenderM CountryUnited States StateNC ZIP code27705 Your current certificationsA+, NET+, MCP Future certificationsSecurity +, CIW, CISSP OccupationSales Engineer, Consultant InterestsSoccer, V-Ball, Camping, Hiking, etc Your home townSan Diego, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kodfish