UK The Mystery of 'Bible John,' Scotland's Zodiac Killer

The Scottish Serial Killer known as "Bible John" killed at least three women between February 1968 and October 1969. Each victim was picked up at the Barrowland Ballroom in a poor quarter of Glasgow, Scotland.

Patricia Docker, 25, was the first victim. Her body was found, naked, in the door recess of a lock-up garage the night of 22 February 1968.

Jemima "Mima" McDonald, 32, was found partly clothed and strangled in a derelict tenement.

Helen Puttock, 29, was the third known victim. Her fully clothed body was found leaning against a wall in October 1969.

Hellen Puttock's sister, Jeannie, had once spoken to Bible John and recalled him as a six foot tall man between 25 and 30 with nicely barbered red hair. He was a smoker but did not drink liquor. He liked to quote sexual and other passages from the Bible - hence his nickname.

He was never identified.

Sources:

"Bible John" by Charles N. Stoddard, Paul Harris Publishing (1980)

"The Who's Who of Unsolved Murders" by James Morton (1994)

How would he have known that each woman was on their period? ... He could have hit on many women looking for someone on their period and married.

Just a thought, but perhaps he met a dozen women at the ballroom and had a quickie in the alley with nine of them. And the other three said (to quote the Stones) "baby better come back very next week / 'cause you see I'm on a losing streak." Bible John got angry at those three and killed in rage, perhaps. Just a possibility, perhaps.

Just a thought, but perhaps he met a dozen women at the ballroom and had a quickie in the alley with nine of them. And the other three said (to quote the Stones) "baby better come back very next week / 'cause you see I'm on a losing streak." Bible John got angry at those three and killed in rage, perhaps. Just a possibility, perhaps.
But then wouldnt some of these women come forward as witnesses?

Good point. On the odds, at least a few of them would have noticed that the guy was weird. I think you're right.

But in the BBC documentary, and other podcasts, they all say that the Barrowlands was known for illicit liaisons. It might well be that some women did have a quickie in the alley with him, but if they were married, they wouldn't have wanted to come forward to have said anything. Even if the women weren't married, society didn't look too kindly on women who may have decided to have sex with someone they met that night, so wouldn't have wanted to bring any attention to their behaviour

I was reading the recent article and wondered if he could have lived on communities like the Jesus Army who had a base in Glasgow. I need to check when they were founded. I think a serial killer possibly Tobin hid with them for a while.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bible-johns-true-identity-eerie-25841549
This is the Tobin article but I wouldn't be surprised if other criminals hid there. They had a big farm in Northamptonshire called New Creation farm and lots of the members were ex criminals or those who found it hard to fit into the mainstream way of life. Murderer Tobin link to Warwickshire Jesus Army

Sad as it is because I stayed with them for weekends in my early 20's this may have been going on in the background and there may have been people like bible John hiding in plain sight for all we know. All I can say is that I didn't witness any of what I am about to share but did meet a fair few people who were ex convicts. Jesus Army sex scandal: The dark secrets of life in a commune

So we know that Bible John killed three women and then the killings stopped. There are a number of explanations including that he was doing time for other crimes, deceased or left the country. Another idea is that he may have worked in a hospital and turned to abusing corpses in the same way as murderer David Fuller did. Bible John told one of the witnesses who met him that he worked in a laboratory.
Another explanation that he got married and used domestic violence to vent whatever was driving him. What do other people think may have happened.

Last edited:
Each murdered woman had her sanitary towel or tampon placed upon, beneath, or near her body.
Bible John - Wikipedia

I recall from college that many "primitive" societies had taboos involving menstruation; I think some Pacific groups required woment to live apart from the group during that time of the month. And anecdotally I think a lot of men even today in the USA are uncomfortable with the process--witness many comedians' jokes about having to buy sanitary products for their wives. (I'll confess to being uncomfortable with that, when I was much younger.)

I'm guessing "Bible John" is one case that will never really be solved--JMHO, of course.

BBC iPlayer - The Hunt for Bible John - Series 1: Episode 1 - that was a very interesting documentary, it's a case I didn't really know anything about other than the theory that it was Peter Tobin, which has been widely repeated... and apparently was totally wrong!

Interesting to hear the DNA has been tested against him, after seeing mentions earlier in the thread that it was too deteriorated to work with; perhaps modern techniques have managed to make it usable again? It would be by far the best chance of ever solving this (or at least, Helen Puttock's murder, given there's little evidence beyond the similarities as to whether all three were committed by the same person - however likely it may appear, I think it's too late to prove the others), even if it ends up being one of those cases where familial DNA leads to a long-deceased murderer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joco4225
Back