The Note Page

This is a huge find. Jeung In Seuk almost surely matches up with "Jeung Ing Fouk"

If it helps, In Seuk Jeung (Related to Seuk In Jeung) is now 63 years old and lives in Oakland, CA. Previously, lived in Castro Valley, CA. In case it is the same person we are looking at, this is the only In Seuk Jeung in CA.

Don't know if that helps, or what profession Seuk In Jeung was engaged in back in 1988-ish. Might be a clue...

I see the two items, "214 Dallas" written so would this indicate she was writing that note around the time she was planning a move to Texas, perhaps? Maybe planning her move there to continue searching for something? If indeed that is what she was doing.
She may have been in CA, per the scribbles, in 1988 or so.
Then...
She was in Boise, ID in June of 1988 and then...
in Dallas, TX in July of 1988. She actually had two different addresses in Dallas in July of 1988. One for the legal name change document, and another on the Soc. Sec. number application. Wow, lots of moving! 1988 was a lightening round of new identity action! IMO, she chose Texas for a specific reason.

Here's a wild theory, but plausible: Someone received a life insurance policy settlement... Just another possible reason for the running. She was either the deceased, or the beneficiary.

I believe I know the meaning of the "CNA" and the "ours 303-293-2333" notations on the scratch paper from Jane Doe's lockbox. I think the fraud lawyer and oil company identifications previously mentioned are most likely red herrings.

I searched Google Books for the string 303-293-2333. On my computer, the second result was snippet views from the following book:

How to find missing persons: a handbook for investigators/ Ronald George Eriksen 2 [sic] (Loompanics; Port Townsend, Washington, 1984), pages 83 and 84.

This book exists in at least three versions: a staple-bound "true first edition" published by Loompanics in 1981 in their original Mason, Michigan location; the 1984 edition I refer to above; and a 1994 2nd edition, revised and expanded.

I was able to get my hands on the 1994 edition, but had to request a scan of the relevant Chapter 19 (Telephone Records) of the 1984 edition from a public library. Luckily, they came through quickly. See the attached two-page PDF (handwritten notes are mine).

The author explains "[f]ortunately, Ma Bell has secret telephone numbers called "C.N.A. Service numbers" which you call, give the number in question, and you will be told the name and usually the address which correspond with that number." He further explains that the numbers are changed "at regular intervals" and that the information he gives is good "as of the first of 1984."

Following is a table of area codes, with the corresponding C.N.A. numbers. The number 303-293-2333 matches seven area codes (note that Google Books only indexes two of them). According to Wikipedia, all seven were in the batch of original area codes instituted in 1947, and most served the entire referenced state until the 1990s or 2000s.

208 Idaho
303 Colorado
307 Wyoming
406 Montana
505 New Mexico
602 Arizona
801 Utah

My interpretation of Jane Doe's notes is that "ours" refers to her own area code sometime in the 1980s, possibly prior to her name changes. I lean toward Idaho or Arizona due to other elements in the story, but of course, I'm not sure.

Just to be clear, I am also not sure at all that Jane Doe used this particular book as a reference. I do think, however, that her notes almost certainly refer to the Customer Name and Address Service.

~ Such an excellent post by Bookman.
the number 303 293 2333 on the note page where FLEK writes 'ours'.
If this was assisted by a lawyer it makes sense... If in fact we can confirm which firm this number was attached to or investigate the book mentioned above more.
http://pview.findlaw.com/view/1885604_1
http://www.milesgershlaw.com/contact-us/
Of course, this could be and possibly is a new number given to a company...

really this lends even more to the theory that FLEK was LOOKING for someone or something. I really have had this feeling all along, its been nagging!

I just re-read the note page and tried to clear my thoughts and 'think' outside the boxes, which we have already created.

Could it be that someone (maybe associated to Laciner) was harassing her with phone calls, etc and she was trying to figure what to do (police vs. lawyer). Imagine getting calls from somewhere and you honestly feel threatened for whatever reason...and then you find out that nothing can be done? Maybe she called Perkins and he suggested she call the police? Then, the police tell her how to find out where the calls are originating (CNA)? I don't know....

And I think the Jeung comment has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the notes, and that is why it is 'boxed' away from the rest.

My take on the "these eyes" note is that she was trying to change her handwriting. Clearly, when she used that style of "e" later in her signature she didn't do it very well. My 78 year old mother has always used that style of "e" in her handwriting.

I also remember that Lori filed for bankruptcy at some point. Even though the attorney she noted was disbarred, I remember reading on one of these threads that he still engaged in helping people fill out bankruptcy paperwork - though not very well.

What was the number she had written down to the doe network? Ive been searching through all these threads coz i read something earlier about it and was wondering if it was to a missing person that the number led to and just couldnt remember where i read it haha.

It is a shame we do not have a colour copy of the note. Were these all done with the same pen? How old does the paper look? Were there other notes similar to this one in the box? Not really much to go on at the moment, even though it looks like a lot!

It could also be 40... In 2 months. Like 40$ for 2 months ( PO box?) or 40 hours in two months ( school requirements? Temp job?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more I'm looking at this, the more I think it has something to do with bankruptcy or discharging debts. There are multiple phone numbers for lawyers, and the 402 months could be about a payment schedule. The rest of it looks like she's trying to locate phone numbers for people with specific names (Jeung, etc), and is calling regional phone directories to get contact info. Perhaps they were people to whom she owed money, or people who could act as references.

I have been lurking since I first saw the Seattle Times article... But someone previously mentioned her misspelling of Hollywood and it hit me that there is a book publisher in Cleveland, Ohio called Lachina. Most of the notes look like they were written hurriedly, so it might be advantageous to consider alternate spellings...

Forgive me, first time poster here, longtime lurker. It just occurred to me that 402 months is roughly 33 years. Instead of thinking about it as something that takes 33 years to happen, or a possible prison sentence, has anyone suggested that this could represent something else? Like how long ago a significant event in her life occurred? This could be anything, including perhaps, a run away date.

She died in 2010, correct? 402 months in the past (depending on the date she wrote this) would have been 1976 or 1977.

Could the note page be a job search scratch pad? Would explain lots of random connections, etc.

Could the note page be a job search scratch pad? Would explain lots of random connections, etc.

It would make sense. Or it could be a multipurpose writing pad where she wrote down any type of information while she was on the phone. She kept it because it obviously had some information that she wanted to keep long term.

I remember the days when phones were built into the kitchen wall. You couldn't move very far and you always kept a writing pad and pen right there. You were lucky if you had more than one phone jack in the living room. At best your phone had one of those extensions that was plugged into the back of the phone allowing you to move a certain distance while on the phone.

Do we have any idea WHEN the note page was produced? Ie how old it already was when it was discovered after LEK's death?

I was thinking this may have some bearing on the months/phone numbers etc..

Do we have any idea WHEN the note page was produced? Ie how old it already was when it was discovered after LEK's death?

I was thinking this may have some bearing on the months/phone numbers etc..

One clue is the 818 area code entered service on January 7, 1984. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_codes_747_and_818

I am looking into when "Mountain Bell" would have started to be referred to in common use (not necessarily legally) as the company that bought it (US West) vs Mountain Bell. The breakup of MA Bell in 1984 led to "Mountain Bell" being part of US West, but a "common" phone user at the time probably called it "Mountain Bell" for a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qwest_Corporation#Mountain_States_Telephone_.26_Telegraph

Based on the page from the book that was uploaded, it seems certain she was using the "CNA" numbers to find someone...but who...and why? Seems like people would be looking for her, not the other way around. Unless she was using the CNA numbers as a TEST to see if someone could find her? (Pretend to be someone looking for her to make sure no one could find her?)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grnturtle
Back