The Trash Bag in Casey's Trunk

When JB had GB under cross, he was trying to get GB to say that GB had scraped food from the containers. JA called for a sidebar, and JB was not allowed to follow that line of questioning. Legally, GB and JA successfully dodged the answers to the question of whether or not food had been in the trash bag. There is no question that there was no food on the containers once they were placed in the drying room. GB did not have to answer the question, did you remove any food from the containers prior to placing them in the drying room. Legally he did not have to, but the question was never asked or answered. Does, not providing the answer to that question prove there was no food in the maggot infested white trash bag, legally yes, but does that remove reasonable doubt as to whether there was food in there, for most yes, for me, not so much.

Without food being in the white trash bag, we have what exactly in evidence that caused the odor? We have a single hair with apparent decomp, but I doubt that has any odor at all. We have an adipocere like fatty substance in the white trash bag, that can't be the odor according to everyone because when the trash bag was removed the odor remained. We also have trace scrapings of butyric acid from the carpet. There was no other physical evidence found in the carpet of the trunk, no blood, no decompositional fluid, none of the right kind of flies or casings, nothing except some trace scrapings of butryic acid. So I must then believe that these trace scrapings of butyric acid are the cause of the horrendous odor, right? There is nothing else in the trunk is there? The FBI says what they analyzed from the carpet was normal, and no blood or decomp fluids. The only other evidence from the trunk was in the air of the trunk, that had shockingly high levels of chloroform. I do not believe it is possible to clean a carpet in a trunk that had enough decomp fluid in it to make the stain in the carpet, so thoroughly that the only thing the FBI could find in that carpet were some traces of butyric acid. To me that is unbelieveable. If one believes that the above proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Caylee was indeed in the trunk for 3 days, then believing the odor was the smell of death is a logical assumption. If one believes the above does not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Caylee was indeed in the trunk for 3 days, then believing the odor came from the white trash bag is a logical assumption.

One quick question about the longevity and unmistakeable odor of death. If the smell of death never goes away, then how did the highly trained noses of the cadaver dogs alert to that unmistakeable, longlasting odor one day, and not alert the very next day in the same place? Even if CSI's had moved some of the dirt to the side while searching, they did not remove it from the area, so if that unmistakeable, longlasting, unremovable odor the cadaver dogs alerted to was part of the ground, why did they not alert to the pile of dirt the next day? This does not seem to have a logical answer.

As always, my entire post is my opinion only.

How many witnesses, with a history of smelling decomp before, do we have that have stated they smelled human decomposition in the trunk?

*Simon Birch
*George Anthony
*Cindy Anthony
*Yuri Melich
*Gerald Bloise
*Arnad Vass- also testified the carpet was the point source of the odor
*Neil Haskell
*the dog trainer
*a cadaver dog

They were there and I believe them when they say it was not the odor of trash..

How many witnesses, with a history of smelling decomp before, do we have that have stated they smelled human decomposition in the trunk?

*Simon Birch
*George Anthony
*Cindy Anthony
*Yuri Melich
*Gerald Bloise
*Neil Haskell
*the dog trainer
*a cadaver dog

This is some of the powerful testimony that Baez has to overcome. Baez has to prove that ALL of these witness's either don't know what their talking about, or they have some kind of agenda. That's a tall order if you ask me. IMO.

When JB had GB under cross, he was trying to get GB to say that GB had scraped food from the containers. JA called for a sidebar, and JB was not allowed to follow that line of questioning. Legally, GB and JA successfully dodged the answers to the question of whether or not food had been in the trash bag. There is no question that there was no food on the containers once they were placed in the drying room. GB did not have to answer the question, did you remove any food from the containers prior to placing them in the drying room. Legally he did not have to, but the question was never asked or answered. Does, not providing the answer to that question prove there was no food in the maggot infested white trash bag, legally yes, but does that remove reasonable doubt as to whether there was food in there, for most yes, for me, not so much.

Without food being in the white trash bag, we have what exactly in evidence that caused the odor? We have a single hair with apparent decomp, but I doubt that has any odor at all. We have an adipocere like fatty substance in the white trash bag, that can't be the odor according to everyone because when the trash bag was removed the odor remained. We also have trace scrapings of butyric acid from the carpet. There was no other physical evidence found in the carpet of the trunk, no blood, no decompositional fluid, none of the right kind of flies or casings, nothing except some trace scrapings of butryic acid. So I must then believe that these trace scrapings of butyric acid are the cause of the horrendous odor, right? There is nothing else in the trunk is there? The FBI says what they analyzed from the carpet was normal, and no blood or decomp fluids. The only other evidence from the trunk was in the air of the trunk, that had shockingly high levels of chloroform. I do not believe it is possible to clean a carpet in a trunk that had enough decomp fluid in it to make the stain in the carpet, so thoroughly that the only thing the FBI could find in that carpet were some traces of butyric acid. To me that is unbelieveable. If one believes that the above proves beyond a reasonable doubt that Caylee was indeed in the trunk for 3 days, then believing the odor was the smell of death is a logical assumption. If one believes the above does not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Caylee was indeed in the trunk for 3 days, then believing the odor came from the white trash bag is a logical assumption.

One quick question about the longevity and unmistakeable odor of death. If the smell of death never goes away, then how did the highly trained noses of the cadaver dogs alert to that unmistakeable, longlasting odor one day, and not alert the very next day in the same place? Even if CSI's had moved some of the dirt to the side while searching, they did not remove it from the area, so if that unmistakeable, longlasting, unremovable odor the cadaver dogs alerted to was part of the ground, why did they not alert to the pile of dirt the next day? This does not seem to have a logical answer.

Why did the SA object to the question of GB cleaning the food out of the containers before the trash went to the drying room? Why did the not want the jury to hear the answer? If the answer was no, the trash was placed in the drying room as it was found you would think the SA would want that as part of the testimony. There was something they were hiding, IMO.

I've been reading about this case here since 2008, but have never posted on it. But, sometimes the simplest answer IS the answer.

I live in the middle of nowhere, and we haul our own trash. In fact, I did so today, in a Jeep. For the 3 mile drive to the dump, my car stank like a landfill. It's 90+ degrees out, and humid, and it was AWFUL. It took less than 3 minutes after we emptied the car for the smell to disappear entirely. We've done this every weekend for 6 years, and my car smells Febreeze fresh every other second of the day. I would assume that 100% of people have, at some point or another, smelled a rank garbage can. Almost immediately after the trash is removed, the smell goes with it. All anyone had to hear is that the car STILL SMELLS AFTER TWO YEARS. It's like duct tape on a baby's mouth: common sense. No reason for tape, no reason for garbage smell to persist. Who cares what was in the bag? I feel like the defense is insulting the jurors' intelligence. :banghead:

When GA picked up the car, it was raining out. Did the trash get wet from the rain while it was the trash container the towyard?

Why did the SA object to the question of GB cleaning the food out of the containers before the trash went to the drying room? Why did the not want the jury to hear the answer? If the answer was no, the trash was placed in the drying room as it was found you would think the SA would want that as part of the testimony. There was something they were hiding, IMO.

The question JB began to ask before JB objected had to do with a photo of the food containers, and the objection was sustained after a sidebar, I am assuming here, because the photo at that point in time had not yet come into evidence, and therefore, JB could not ask questions about it. When GB was again called to the stand, after the photo had come into evidence, JB never asked the question directly, but did ask if GB had accidently destroyed evidence. Objection sustained. JB reworded by saying "you would never intentionally alter evidence would you?" To which GB replied "no". This was with the photo of the wet garbage. This was also when GB showed proof he was supposed to destroy his notes after he made his report. All this bothers me. This is all part of the testimony. As it stands, there is no proof of food ever being in the white trash bag, from a legal standpoint.

Not from the trial, Dr. HL stated on national tv that there was all kinds of food in the white trash bag. Speculation. The white trash bag came from TL's KITCHEN, and although we have a garbage disposal in our sink, I have never taken a kitchen trash bag out of our house, that did not contain any food whatsoever in it. Speculation.

SB and GA both smelled the trunk and thought it was possibly human decomp until they opened the trunk and the maggots were popping in the white trash bag. Neither of them called the police at this point to report the unmistakeable odor of death. CA called 911 saying it smelled like there was a dead body in the trunk of her daughters car, but later backtracked and said she had said it because she wanted the cops to show up asap. YM was in and out of the Anthony home several times and several LE went past the car a number of times, and finally the following afternoon, LE taped off and secured the car, after, LE had taken the alternate light source to the trunk and found what they thought might be blood or decompositional fluid. Prior to the alternate light source no one including LE seemed to think that the unmistakeable odor of death emanating from the trunk of the Pontiac was of any importance at all. This leads me to SPECULATE, that the smell was that of garbage not death.

After the car was taped off, and they suspected the stain, the media ran with the story, and the odor was forever transformed into the smell of death. I will add a little more speculation. With all the media about the smell of death, and how there may have been a dead body in the trunk, anyone smelling the trunk after the first two days of media coverage could have already believed it was the smell of death before they smelled the trunk. I think it would be very easy to believe you were smelling the smell of death, if you were already pretty certain that was the smell of death.

The whole smell of death argument is a circular one. For all the reasons above, I will believe that the odor in the trunk of that Pontiac was from the white trash bag. I am not trying to convince anyone to change their own mind, I am simply stating how I came to my opinion. Most will strongly disagree with my opinion on this matter, but it has been my opinion for over 2 years, and I have heard every argument as to why my opinion might be incorrect. Nonetheless, I am of the opinion that the odor came from the trash bag.

Dr. Furton (the expert who does have a background in chemistry), a very well respected chemist in the field used a lot by FBI, DOD, NSF, etc, stated that the decomposition signature in the air sample from the Pontiac trunk was consistent with the decomposition of fatty acids present in the trash items that were in the trunk (i.e. bag of trash from the trunk, and maybe other items. Remember there was the crystal light container in that bag that the FBI lab said appeared to have urine in it, etc, hair in that bag, various food package items, the used pizza box, stained napkins, etc, all sitting in the heat of the trunk at the towyard.) The prosecution apparently had reports from two of the chemists in Dr. Vass's group, as well as from Dr. Vass, but chose not to use the reports by the chemists, and only used Dr. Vass's testimony (he is apparently not a chemist). It sounds like the defense will argue this point. It looked from evidence testimony like the defense will also argue the fact that Dr. Vass only included chloroform in his final report after receiving info from the investigators/prosecution that chloroform was suspected. And, one of the control samples (carpet from car trunks not involved in this case) supposedly also contained chloforom in its air signature, so that most likely will be a point mentioned at trial.

The thing about the trunk smell that still puzzles me is that Casey was talking openly to Amy saying there was a smell in her car, wondering what it was, finally saying it must be from an animal. The prosecution insist decomp in the trunk must have begun around June 16, and that Casey finally abandoned the car due to the smell. Yet, Tony L stated there was no smell while standing next to her car on June 23 (? please correct me on that date), and Tony and the roommates said she parked the car at their place up to the day at Amscot and apparently they didn't notice any smell throughout that time, they stated no strange smell on her person either while she was driving it.

I agree it's strange that this bag of trash would be in her car trunk to begin with, that's the main question regarding the bag of trash that still puzzles me. That, and whose urine was that in the container LOL

BOLDING IS MINE
Re pee in a bottle: Wasn't there a pregnancy test kit in the trash? ICA could have used the Crystal Lite bottle to gather a specimen for the test (sorry for that visual).

Re hair: Sometimes people trim their own hair between salon visits....

I believe someone mentioned that the apartment complex dumpster was on the way out of the parking lot and they would sometimes put trash in their trunk(s) and drop it on the way out of the lot--- this was due to Tony's building being toward the back of the complex.

Finally, ICA may have started with the squirrel stories immediately after she removed the body from her trunk, which was probably stinking even after a couple of days-- but not bad enough YET to smell it from the outside of the car, or for that matter, from the passenger compartment. She knew the smell would probably get worse before it got better (which it did), and in response to the increasing odor, she increased the dead squirrel stories. ICA may have taken apartment trash to the dumpster in the past, sooooooo, this time she just left it in the trunk to try and blur the nasty smells in case someone noticed, and finally abandoned the car next to a dumpster, possibly hoping the smell would run its course by the time it was retrieved. MOO

I know I heard someone mention a pregnancy test kit was found... oh, well. Now I have no idea why anyone would PEE IN A CRYSTAL LITE BOTTLE.

Here is the information on the paper towels... Pupae was found on them.

papertowelsadipocere.jpg

However, I vaguely and faintly recall that the maggots were found on a plastic container, like a frozen dinner type deal... I recall it from way back in the beginning of the case. I have been googling and cannot find it so maybe it is a figment of my imagination... :crazy: Does anyone else recall that?

Fatty acids, such as the ones detected (palmitic, etc.), indicate a fat decomposition product like adipocere(grave wax) present on the paper towels::: is another part of this trial that truly baffles me. If it is a substance like adipocere then it is not adipocere.

Either it is adipocere or it is not adipocere. Why did no one test it to see if it was or it was not?

Someone asked me what would it take to get me off the fence and onto the prosecutions side of this trial. If someone would test the substance and confirm that it is indeed adipocere, that would pretty much make all the rest fall into place for me. A simple little test. Especially if that test can confirm it is human adipocere. To me the one and only reason the experts for the prosecution did not confirm that this was human adipocere with a test, is because it is not human adipocere and they know it.

The only other area of concern I have about the white trash bag is that it sat in a dumpster for 18 hours. To me, that potentially contaminates the insect evidence inside the white trash bag, which is of course where they found the one leg.

*Simon Birch
*George Anthony
*Cindy Anthony
*Yuri Melich
*Gerald Bloise
*Neil Haskell
*the dog trainer
*a cadaver dog

And two of those folks-- CA and GA-- had a vested interest in the smell NOT being from human decomp! I agree that the trunk had a decomposing body in it at one time.

Fatty acids, such as the ones detected (palmitic, etc.), indicate a fat decomposition product like adipocere(grave wax) present on the paper towels::: is another part of this trial that truly baffles me. If it is a substance like adipocere then it is not adipocere.

Either it is adipocere or it is not adipocere. Why did no one test it to see if it was or it was not?

Someone asked me what would it take to get me off the fence and onto the prosecutions side of this trial. If someone would test the substance and confirm that it is indeed adipocere, that would pretty much make all the rest fall into place for me. A simple little test. Especially if that test can confirm it is human adipocere. To me the one and only reason the experts for the prosecution did not confirm that this was human adipocere with a test, is because it is not human adipocere and they know it.

The only other area of concern I have about the white trash bag is that it sat in a dumpster for 18 hours. To me, that potentially contaminates the insect evidence inside the white trash bag, which is of course where they found the one leg.

Investigators and scientists alike will often say that one thing is, or is not, consistent with another, or in this case, is "like" adipocere. They try to stay away from saying this definitely is or isn't this or that... regardless, I agree with you that it's strange we never got a straight answer about the substance. Also, you bring up a great point about the trash bag/dumpster overnight thing. A fly is a fly is a fly....

It was tested and the information about the testing and results is in the LIBS report which I know you have read. This is my interpretation but I am not a scientist... :crazy: The adipocere usually takes a while to develop but the anaerobic conditions in the trunk sped up the process. The formation of the adipocere was in the very initial stages so it could not be considered full fledge adipocere thus the statement that it was "like adipocere". It had the initial components involved in the development. The last link I posted has excellent information about adipocere.

The time required for the formation of adipocere is a subject of controversy. Here we present a case of early adipocere formation within 3 days and the review of literature pertaining to it.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1752928X09001085

adipocere.png

http://www.pawsoflife.org/Library/HRD/Ubelaker_2011.pdf

FWIW, the trunk really could not be anaerobic. That is a complete absence of oxygen and that wouldn't be the situation in the trunk. Even if all the air is trapped in the trunk there would still be oxygen. The trash bag wasn't sealed and would contain normal air as well.

If the trunk or the trash bag were truly anaerobic, no flies could survive.

I'm not sure the trash had enough of anything in it to really even attract common houseflies, but like other posters, don't understand why the substance on the paper towels can't be definitely declared human adipocere. I also believe the bug guy's testimony that it would be very difficult, if not impossible to remove a large stain of that stuff from the carpet. Maybe I should go to the theory thread, because I thought at the beginning that Caylee wasn't in the trunk all that time, and now wonder even more unless she was in a container after the first day. Also, if a large amount of chloroform was in the air of the trunk I don't see why it wouldn't have displaced the oxygen in the trunk which killed or repelled any attracted blowflies and sped up the adicopere process. At least until it was opened and some oxygen got inside.

The question JB began to ask before JB objected had to do with a photo of the food containers, and the objection was sustained after a sidebar, I am assuming here, because the photo at that point in time had not yet come into evidence, and therefore, JB could not ask questions about it. When GB was again called to the stand, after the photo had come into evidence, JB never asked the question directly, but did ask if GB had accidently destroyed evidence. Objection sustained. JB reworded by saying "you would never intentionally alter evidence would you?" To which GB replied "no". This was with the photo of the wet garbage. This was also when GB showed proof he was supposed to destroy his notes after he made his report. All this bothers me. This is all part of the testimony. As it stands, there is no proof of food ever being in the white trash bag, from a legal standpoint.

Not from the trial, Dr. HL stated on national tv that there was all kinds of food in the white trash bag. Speculation. The white trash bag came from TL's KITCHEN, and although we have a garbage disposal in our sink, I have never taken a kitchen trash bag out of our house, that did not contain any food whatsoever in it. Speculation.

SB and GA both smelled the trunk and thought it was possibly human decomp until they opened the trunk and the maggots were popping in the white trash bag. Neither of them called the police at this point to report the unmistakeable odor of death. CA called 911 saying it smelled like there was a dead body in the trunk of her daughters car, but later backtracked and said she had said it because she wanted the cops to show up asap. YM was in and out of the Anthony home several times and several LE went past the car a number of times, and finally the following afternoon, LE taped off and secured the car, after, LE had taken the alternate light source to the trunk and found what they thought might be blood or decompositional fluid. Prior to the alternate light source no one including LE seemed to think that the unmistakeable odor of death emanating from the trunk of the Pontiac was of any importance at all. This leads me to SPECULATE, that the smell was that of garbage not death.

After the car was taped off, and they suspected the stain, the media ran with the story, and the odor was forever transformed into the smell of death. I will add a little more speculation. With all the media about the smell of death, and how there may have been a dead body in the trunk, anyone smelling the trunk after the first two days of media coverage could have already believed it was the smell of death before they smelled the trunk. I think it would be very easy to believe you were smelling the smell of death, if you were already pretty certain that was the smell of death.

The whole smell of death argument is a circular one. For all the reasons above, I will believe that the odor in the trunk of that Pontiac was from the white trash bag. I am not trying to convince anyone to change their own mind, I am simply stating how I came to my opinion. Most will strongly disagree with my opinion on this matter, but it has been my opinion for over 2 years, and I have heard every argument as to why my opinion might be incorrect. Nonetheless, I am of the opinion that the odor came from the trash bag.

I can't imagine college kids living together in an apartment washing out food containers, the bag from the frozen meal or the salami container. When they are done with it, it goes into the garbage as is. My 21 year old daughter would never take the time to do that.heck .I don't even take the time to do that. I have a garbage disposal also and my garbage always contains some sort of food. It does not take a lot of food to smell in hot temperatures or to attract flies. My husband has also said comments like "it smells like something died in there" and he really doesn't mean someting died, it is just to emphasize a horrible smell. I also think the smell could have been trash and there was food in the trash originally.

The answer to why the garbage bag was in the car is easy... Does anyone remember JB in the beginning of the trial asking one of the witnesses (one of the boys from Tonys apartment I think? Maybe it was Tony himself?) about the dumpster which was at the entrance/ or exit of the apartment complex. Apparently garbage was driven to the dumpsters. Casey playing "good girlfriend" who cooked and cleaned, must have taken the garbage out of the apartment.

Casey probably forgot she had it in there, She had other things on her mind like hiding her babys body and where the next party was going to be.

Isn't it interesting that our keeper of the trash Miss Casey Anthony chose not to blame the stench in her car on the trash bag. Yep, even though she's not the brightest of em, when her brother Lee asked her about the stench (night of July 15th.... location, garage with stinky car) she told him two squirrels crawled up inside her engine and died. :waitasec: Seems even ICA didn't think anyone would buy the trashbag decoy. That's why she used the squirrel story with Lee and the unidentified animal plastered to the front....... with Amy.

Food for thought, no pun intended. Why don't the dumpsters of America smell like dead bodies? :waitasec:

I can't imagine college kids living together in an apartment washing out food containers, the bag from the frozen meal or the salami container. When they are done with it, it goes into the garbage as is. My 21 year old daughter would never take the time to do that.heck .I don't even take the time to do that. I have a garbage disposal also and my garbage always contains some sort of food. It does not take a lot of food to smell in hot temperatures or to attract flies. My husband has also said comments like "it smells like something died in there" and he really doesn't mean someting died, it is just to emphasize a horrible smell. I also think the smell could have been trash and there was food in the trash originally.

There was no food in the trash. None. Nada. Zip. It's been established again and again. Aside from the multiple number of people who testified that Casey's car smelled like something died in it, I think Dr. Vass holds the most authority on the subject. IF he said "the stink" was human decomposition, I have no reason to doubt him. Are you saying that Dr. Vass isn't qualified to tell the difference between a trashbag of empty containers and a decomposing body? Please tell me that is not what you are saying.

I've been reading about this case here since 2008, but have never posted on it. But, sometimes the simplest answer IS the answer.

I live in the middle of nowhere, and we haul our own trash. In fact, I did so today, in a Jeep. For the 3 mile drive to the dump, my car stank like a landfill. It's 90+ degrees out, and humid, and it was AWFUL. It took less than 3 minutes after we emptied the car for the smell to disappear entirely. We've done this every weekend for 6 years, and my car smells Febreeze fresh every other second of the day. I would assume that 100% of people have, at some point or another, smelled a rank garbage can. Almost immediately after the trash is removed, the smell goes with it. All anyone had to hear is that the car STILL SMELLS AFTER TWO YEARS. It's like duct tape on a baby's mouth: common sense. No reason for tape, no reason for garbage smell to persist. Who cares what was in the bag? I feel like the defense is insulting the jurors' intelligence. :banghead:

BBM-Funny and somewhat conversely, the state pointed out that the death smell did not travel with the trash bag into the dumpster.

There was no food in the trash. None. Nada. Zip. It's been established again and again. Aside from the multiple number of people who testified that Casey's car smelled like something died in it, I think Dr. Vass holds the most authority on the subject. IF he said "the stink" was human decomposition, I have no reason to doubt him. Are you saying that Dr. Vass isn't qualified to tell the difference between a trashbag of empty containers and a decomposing body? Please tell me that is not what you are saying.

Thing is, there are many, many, many posts right here in this forum that go over this in a scientific fashion. It's a shame we (I) am too tired to retrieve them, but they're here.
No food. No death smell from the trash. No way salami, which contains preservatives, decomposed and smelled like human death. And it should not be incumbent upon me/you/others that believe GB to go fish out the posts here when I/you/others are agreeing with the sworn testimony of those that actually handled the trash bag.
If you agree with the guys that never actually handled the trash bag and you want to disprove those who did, I would encourage you to search deep into this forum and make sure you include Valhall and JWG in your searches. There is also a chemist here and I forget her handle...but the ball is in the court of those who want to prove the people that actually examined the bag are perjurers, IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back