Theory: Third Party is Military Guy

No adoption papers necessary to be enrolled in DEERS or receive medical care. I married into the Army, my son from a previous relationship became a military dependent, without my husband adopting, etc.
Birth certificate (with my name only) and SS were all that was needed to add us both after marriage. Possibly, if I had listed the birth father that may have made adoption/custody issues arise in enrollment.:twocents:

But Gabriel wouldn't have the military member or the member's spouse on his birth certificate like your son did. The requirements listed below only apply to incidences of getting DEERS enrollment when you have temporary custody of a child.
If a military member or spouse is listed on the BC or adoption papers, it's a different story.

ETA
Below, I should have specified that the requirements are for what's called a "secondary dependentship" (adults dependent for various reasons and wards or foster children) which has different rules than a primary dependentship (spouses, children, children of spouses.) Secondary dependents have to provide extra paperwork to prove the Department of Defense should spend money for their benefits.

But Gabriel wouldn't have the military member or the member's spouse on his birth certificate like your son did. The requirements listed below only apply to incidences of getting DEERS enrollment when you have temporary custody of a child.
If a military member or spouse is listed on the BC or adoption papers, it's a different story.

Yer right, I was thinking ahead of myself in terms of the woman and child (Gabriel) assuming false identities and what not.....

Yer right, I was thinking ahead of myself in terms of the woman and child (Gabriel) assuming false identities and what not.....

They'd have to falsify an awful lot of papers and be taking a huge risk of being caught and criminally charged.
Plus, the couple couldn't have been married more than 8 months before they tried to get Gabriel enrolled as a child from a previous relationship -- if they'd been married any longer than that, they'd both be on the BC. If they got married after they took custody of Gabriel, then the wife would have to get married and enrolled in DEERS under the false identity herself, in addition to Gabriel being enrolled with false papers.
If they were just planning to keep Gabriel a few months, until someone (Gee, I wonder who) could come get him after he'd changed in appearance, I think a military family could pull it off almost as easily as a civilian family, as long as their unit wasn't very tight. But keeping him long term would be much harder for a military family.

Please define the topic of this thread, and I'll rename it appropriately. If it's a theory, what is the theory?

Thanks,
BeanE

Please define the topic of this thread, and I'll rename it appropriately. If it's a theory, what is the theory?

Thanks,
BeanE

Third Party is Not a Military Guy? Depends on what is meant by "third party." I was thinking EJ was first party, "trusted person" was second party, and person who has Gabriel is third party. I'm probably confused.

I thought we were discussing whether a military resident of San Antonio could have taken temporary or permanent custody of Gabriel, since there is such a huge presence there. (San Antonio's nickname: Military City, USA.)

The theory is that a military member could have taken short term custody of Gabriel but not permanent custody. (At least that's my theory.) One implication could be that military families have contacts all over the country, so Gabriel could be anywhere. Another implication could be that if a military family has Gabriel, he'll most likely be found sooner than he would if a civilian had him.

:waitasec: Well, here's a thought/theory. Maybe someone in the military IS involved in keeping Gabriel hidden. When medium AD gave her interview, she said that she felt helicopters were flying overhead - that it was a place where people have been looking. I had kind of taken that to mean police helicopters flying overhead, but what if it really meant MILITARY helicopters flying overhead - which could put Gabriel near or on a military base. Just a thought. :twocents:

ETA: And perhaps that is why Homegate was chosen - NOT because of the illegal adoption angle, but because of all the military staying there???

You'd need court papers to get dependency status for a child under those circumstances.
If you just wanted to keep a child temporarily and didn't expect to need free medical care for him during that time (so irresponsible!), you could just tell people that your sister's child was visiting you for a few months, I suppose. (Although, that might raise suspicions if it went on for any length of time, especially if you lived in military housing where there are restrictions to how long a non-dependent can reside there -- 2 weeks or something like that.) One thing about the military, however, even though it's huge, it's a small world within it, and relocating to a different base is not going to take you away from everybody who knows you and your business. Still, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for a military family to have Gabriel, just less likely than a civilian family, since it's gone on so long.

BBM - I agree completely. It would be very hard for the military to play into this in the way this theory suggests. Not that I don't appreciate the theory popping up but as a military wife I can tell you poor Gabe would have been found a lot faster if the military had anything to do with it. (I don't post often, just wanted to throw this in there ... great sleuthing guys)

BBM - I agree completely. It would be very hard for the military to play into this in the way this theory suggests. Not that I don't appreciate the theory popping up but as a military wife I can tell you poor Gabe would have been found a lot faster if the military had anything to do with it. (I don't post often, just wanted to throw this in there ... great sleuthing guys)

The military guy was started by me..however, I never said a military guy, just a location, possibly, close to a military location...I tried to get the thread renamed, but was not sucessful. As a 20 year military wife, I know how hard it would be for a active duty family to do something like this...what I was saying is the location where EJ was , may possibly be was close to helicopters, like a military base. Many people, outside active duty, visit a base every single day....or work or live outside close to the/a base all the time....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glitterati
Back