Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The co-founder of the company that owns the sub, OceanGate, said Thursday was "a critical day" in the search. In a statement on Facebook, Guillermo Sohnlein said the group may have extended their life support supplies by "relaxing as much as possible."

It does. However it is entirely possible ,also likely we will never know the truth on either the submericible or why it failed,What the owner was thinking .or why the crew didnt call for help in the almost 4 hours before they did.

I do not lack sympathy ,I want to know why 5 people who want to explore dangerous places with their private money warrent such a great SAR price tag when children who were last seen at school ,put such a burdened cost on their local counties?
Choices and risk v/s not a choice and why a risk?

We expect poor people in hurricanes to protect themselfs better than this to the point where if they dont leave their own homes ,no rescue services will be available . Yet... this ..completely preventable joy ride disater is shouldered by tax payers?
IMO all rescue ships should return home immediately, and if there is any other exploratory work to do, it is on OceanGate. The question has been answered and there is nothing more to be done.

US Coast Guard grateful for "rapid mobilization" of agencies in search for sub​

US Coast Guard Rear Adm. John Mauger thanked experts and agencies for assisting with the search for the Titan submersible.
"The outpouring of support in this highly complex search operation has been robust and immensely appreciated. We are grateful for the rapid mobilization of experts on the undersea search and rescue, and we thank all of the agencies and personnel for their role in the response. We're also incredibly grateful for the full spectrum of international assistance that's been provided," he said Thursday.

1 min ago

Coast Guard says officials are still working through timeline of sub's failure​

It will take time to determine a specific timeline of events in the "incredibly complex" case of the Titan sub's catastrophic failure, US Coast Guard Rear Adm. John Mauger told reporters.

Officials are sorting through an "incredibly complex operating environment on the sea floor, over 2 miles beneath the surface," Mauger said at a news conference in Boston.

He said the remotely operating vehicles searching the floor are "highly capable" and will reveal more information.

Mauger said the Coast Guard will eventually have more information about what went wrong with the sub, and their assessment of the emergency response.

I just don’t think it’s possible to have any solid answers like we want. Imo it had to have happened when they first lost communication, and we’ll never know anything more specific. There’s too little left to find out, and there seemingly wasn’t anything like a black box that could provide any answers.

That, along with no remains, is going to weigh heavily on the family members. I feel so bad for them.

This is so sad.. I wouldn't be caught dead in a sub like
Asked about retrieving the bodies, he says "This is an incredibly unforgiving environment" consistent with a catastrophic incident.

He implies that they won't be able to MOO.

I don't think they are going to recover anything because if it blew up sadly nothing will be left.

IMO all rescue ships should return home immediately, and if there is any other exploratory work to do, it is on OceanGate. The question has been answered and there is nothing more to be done.

I disagree a little with that. These families may not want OceanGate anywhere near such an exploration and investigation, and given their likely desire to see if the bodies can be recovered I’d imagine some of those vessels staying a little longer is the right thing to do IMO

5 major pieces of debris of the OceanGate Titan were found -- including a nose cone, front end bell of pressure hull, aft end bell of the pressure hull. It was likely a catastrophic implosion.

Yep, so the two titanium domes were found, and recognisable as such. I guessed if anything was going to be recognisable or in a piece larger than a matchbox, it would have been those.

MOO

This is all very sad. None of these people were bad people, no matter the mistakes they made or bad judgement they may have had. They were all doing something they wanted to do, and even the CEO I believe TRULY believed in his vessel and his explorations. Lessons will be learned, but I think the adventurous spirit is admirable, and I hope explorers keep on exploring in a SAFER way than Ocean Gate was doing. There is a respectful and safe(er) way to explore the depths of the ocean IMO, and I’m grateful that we have people brave enough to do it.
RIP Titan crew. :(

Last edited:

Where does the wreck lie related to the Titanic?​

The site of the fatal accident is believed to be 1600ft (487m) off the bow of the Titanic wreck.
It's in an area where there is not any debris of the Titanic.

Five bodies may not be recovered - US Coast Guard​

Rear Admiral Mauger says he cannot confirm whether the US Coast Guard will be able to recover the bodies of the five passengers on board the Titan sub.
"This is an incredibly unforgiving environment," he adds.

Paul Hanken, an undersea expert, says rescuers found “five different major pieces of debris that told us that it was the remains of the Titan”.

The initial thing we found was the nose cone... then we found a large debris field. Within that large debris field, we found the front end bell of the pressure hull. That was the first indication that there was a catastrophic event.
Shortly after, we found a second smaller debris field within that debris field. We found the other end of the press hull that…basically comprised of the totality of that pressure chamber...
We will do our best to fully map out what’s down there.

If it imploded, the only things that are going to float back up would be exterior objects that were either buoyant or inherently hollow but high strength: Maybe an LED light or similar? MOO and Depends on how the periphery items came apart...

Did a little look into Titanium and Carbon Fiber. Titanium has about the same tensile and compressive yield strength as the better stainless steel alloys but is 40% of the weight, per unit volume. Problem is: its brittle at its ultimate strength. Carbon Fiber can be a made a lot of different ways but essentially consists of high strength fibers bound by some polymer; and weighs about 18% of steel. Either material is "elongation brittle" in material terms: carbon fiber samples fracture at around 3 to 4% strain and high grade titanium at less than 3%.

SO: Here's how a ductile (Mild Steel) horizontal cylinder implodes at low pressure differences....pretty quick for the cylinder portion, the heads at each end near survive. Consider though: when the collapse occurs, the reduction in volume of the containment would cause the internal pressure to increase, thus the pressure difference decreases....

With the infinite volume and depth of the ocean: the rise in internal pressure would occur in the order of 1/900 of a second and with brittle material, the cylinder would collapse inward and fracture. Should it occur that there was some air trapped at one spot, there would be a second collapse as that air pocket condensed...presuming the hull was ruptured by the first collapse, the pieces may or may not be dislodged or otherwise effected by the second collapse.

I would guess thought that some pieces of carbon fiber would be projected and spread around. Whereas I believe the titanium heads may be distorted but largely recognizable.

MOO and I'm sure some images will be forthcoming.

I've defended some aspects of Titan's design, but one thing I'll never defend is the tubular shape of the pressure hull, which I can only think was done to fit more paying "crew members" on board.

Normally subs designed for this kind of depth use a perfectly spherical pressure hull. The sphere is inherently much stronger than other shapes because the force applies equally in all directions; there's no inherent weak spot. Spherical hulls have been used successfully on pretty much all previous deep sea vessels, and up to now none of them have had a catastrophic failure.

IMO, by making Titan's pressure hull tubular, it was always going to be much weaker than it should have been.

Mearns told the outlet the club’s president, who is reported by the outlet to be “directly connected” to the ships on the site, confirmed the information to the group. Mearns told the outlet, “Again this is an unconventional submarine, that rear cover is the pointy end of it and the landing frame is the little frame that it seems to sit on,” SkyNews reported.

“It means the hull hasn’t yet been found but two very important parts of the whole system have been discovered and that would not be found unless its fragmented,” Mearns told SkyNews.

“If the faring is off and the frame is off - then something really bad has happened to the entire structure. On the news that we have yet, they haven’t found the hull of which the men are inside,” SkyNews reported Mearns said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nursestump