Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #4

<modsnip> Rush doesn't seem to have brooked anyone questioning him. I doubt that he gathered a diverse young team because he wanted a communal creative process. Rush seems more a 'my way or the highway' style of boss.

MOO
Which makes me wonder if Rush would have listened to any warnings from Cameron or Nargeolet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read this twice and still I am a bit confused as to what race has anything to do with this. Someone please give me some insight as I genuinely don't understand?

Despite whatever he claimed, none of the photos I've seen of the OceanGate employees or the crew show much racial diversity. Case in point:

There are a fair number of young people and women. I agree with those who say that he didn't want to be challenged by those with relevant experience. Not to mention it's also a significant cost savings.

As a white 50 something old male I find his comments both insulting and racist. This sort of attitude seems more prevalent these days, most unfortunate. Hope he, his company and others of his ilk are taken to the cleaners.

Last edited:
His statement about this has really irked me. I’m a visual designer, but one of my first jobs was for an industrial design office led by an old guy with the exact same sentiment. All it means is: cheap labor who will not challenge me and who can be thrown under the bus when the time comes. For the minor blips or deadlines misses he can chalk it up to his young and inexperienced employees and grovel about his service to the community, employing young and underrepresented demographics. OceanGate, (headquartered in a state with 0 income tax for Rush and his wife btw) probably got a nice tax incentive to go along with it. Investors really actually don’t care about demographics, they just need to see the $$$.
Most of the top investment entitles would require ESG compliance to qualify for investment. Whether he was taking their money or not, he would know (especially since he was located in the Pacific NW) that his company needed to be "compliant." His statement should instead actually have raised lots of red flags.

“I am grateful for the coordinated international and interagency support to recover and preserve this vital evidence at extreme offshore distances and depths,” stated MBI Chair Captain Jason Neubauer. “The evidence will provide investigators from several international jurisdictions with critical insights into the cause of this tragedy. There is still a substantial amount of work to be done to understand the factors that led to the catastrophic loss of the TITAN and help ensure a similar tragedy does not occur again.”

After consultation with international partner investigative agencies, the Marine Board of Investigation (MBI) intends to transport the evidence aboard a U.S. Coast Guard cutter to a port in the United States where the MBI will be able to facilitate further analysis and testing.

United States medical professionals will conduct a formal analysis of presumed human remains that have been carefully recovered within the wreckage at the site of the incident.

Last edited:
“I am grateful for the coordinated international and interagency support to recover and preserve this vital evidence at extreme offshore distances and depths,” stated MBI Chair Captain Jason Neubauer. “The evidence will provide investigators from several international jurisdictions with critical insights into the cause of this tragedy. There is still a substantial amount of work to be done to understand the factors that led to the catastrophic loss of the TITAN and help ensure a similar tragedy does not occur again.”

After consultation with international partner investigative agencies, the Marine Board of Investigation (MBI) intends to transport the evidence aboard a U.S. Coast Guard cutter to a port in the United States where the MBI will be able to facilitate further analysis and testing.

United States medical professionals will conduct a formal analysis of presumed human remains that have been carefully recovered within the wreckage at the site of the incident.

Wow, I'm stunned. Everything I've ever heard, or that experts have ever said, suggested this shouldn't be possible. Human remains should be liquefied mush after an implosion like this; but then, maybe that is exactly what has been found.

Having said that, I don't think there has ever been an implosion at that depth with the wreckage found and recovered so quickly. Perhaps the "common knowledge" about what would happen to a human body was always wrong, and this tragedy will help us learn something new.

Wow, I'm stunned. Everything I've ever heard, or that experts have ever said, suggested this shouldn't be possible. Human remains should be liquefied mush after an implosion like this; but then, maybe that is exactly what has been found.

Having said that, I don't think there has ever been an implosion at that depth with the wreckage found and recovered so quickly. Perhaps the "common knowledge" about what would happen to a human body was always wrong, and this tragedy will help us learn something new.

Several days ago James Cameron said he saw the wreckage and that the carbon fiber is in small pieces and rammed into one of the titanium end pieces. So maybe that's where they found some remains.

Here's the video I was talking about above

3:27
inside there were two titanium end caps
3:29
on each end they are relatively intact
3:32
on the sea floor but that carbon fiber
3:35
composite cylinder is now just in very
3:37
small pieces and it's all rammed into
3:40
the one of the one of the hemispheres so
3:43
it's pretty clear that that that's what
3:45
failed the question is was it the

When I saw the white tarps over some of these pieces being removed, it seemed like they were trying to sheild something and the thought of some human debris within these pieces crossed my mind.

This company that has done this recovery has done a remarkable job imo.

ETA: It is now being reported on ABC Nightly News. They say authorities are in constant contact with the families. They also said that the window was hauled up…it is the image within the white tarp bunch together at the top.

Last edited:
Several days ago James Cameron said he saw the wreckage and that the carbon fiber is in small pieces and rammed into one of the titanium end pieces. So maybe that's where they found some remains.

That could certainly explain it. If the implosive force was all focused into one hemisphere and all debris was compacted into that hemisphere, the fragmented human tissue possibly could have been, too.

Based on what experts have been saying for decades, I was sure the remains would have been scattered into the ocean and be irretrievable. For the sake of the families I'm delighted that was wrong.

When I saw the white tarps over some of these pieces being removed, it seemed like they were trying to sheild something and the thought of some human debris within these pieces crossed my mind.

This company that has done this recovery has done a remarkable job imo.

ETA: It is now being reported on ABC Nightly News. They say authorities are in constant contact with the families. They also said that the window was hauled up…it is the image within the white tarp bunch together at the top.
Agree, along with the gloves and protection they were wearing. I wondered what they could possibly hope to protect after soaking in sea water for days and making the trek up. For there to be human remains that survived those elements I believe there was a powerful implosion and it's trace remains. I will be surprised if it's more than that.

From this article:

World

See photos of recovered Titan sub debris after "catastrophic implosion" during Titanic voyage​

By Alex Sundby

Updated on: June 28, 2023 / 6:19 PM / CBS News

Pieces of debris from the sub that officials say imploded while carrying five people to the wreckage of the Titanic last week have arrived back on land. Photos from the Canadian Press and Reuters news agency show crews unloading large pieces of the Titan submersible in Newfoundland.

The debris arrived in St. John's, Newfoundland, Wednesday, the U.S. Coast Guard said in a statement.

The agency also said "presumed human remains" recovered from the sub's wreckage would undergo analysis by American medical professionals.

Agree, along with the gloves and protection they were wearing. I wondered what they could possibly hope to protect after soaking in sea water for days and making the trek up. For there to be human remains that survived those elements I believe there was a powerful implosion and it's trace remains. I will be surprised if it's more than that.

I agree about trace remains. But having said that, until this news was announced I was certain they wouldn't find any remains at all. Now, who knows. Perhaps everything experts thought they knew (and that I thought I knew based on what experts have said) will turn out to have been wrong.

I'm genuinely in shock because I never expected this. And I'm so happy the families might have something to say goodbye to.

Human remains and debris from sub returned to land after fatal implosion near #Titanic site

6/28/2023

Human remains and debris from the submersible that imploded near the Titanic wreckage site was pulled from the depths of the ocean Wednesday, more than a week after a search for the five-passenger sub was launched and captured the world's attention.

Officials said medical professionals would study and analyze the presumed human remains that were carefully recovered from the wreckage.

BREAKING: "Presumed human remains" were found after the Titan submersible imploded during its underwater decent to explore the site of the Titanic shipwreck, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

6/28/2023

United States medical professionals will conduct a formal analysis of presumed human remains that have been carefully recovered within the wreckage at the site of the incident," according to a news release the Coast Guard issued Wednesday evening.

Human remains and debris from sub returned to land after fatal implosion near #Titanic site

6/28/2023

Human remains and debris from the submersible that imploded near the Titanic wreckage site was pulled from the depths of the ocean Wednesday, more than a week after a search for the five-passenger sub was launched and captured the world's attention.

Officials said medical professionals would study and analyze the presumed human remains that were carefully recovered from the wreckage.
I suspect the human remains found will either be bone fragments or hair.

I hope and pray this might at least give their families some sort of closure.

JMO

My mental picture of ‘Debris’ didn’t include large pieces. Or at the least I didn’t expect anything like the porthole frame to be intact. They stated finding any remains was unlikely. Curious if they downplayed it until it was collected.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BabyGhoul
Back