TN TN - Glenda Sirmans, 13, Farragut, 29 Nov 1969

From the microfilm of the Knoxville News-Sentinel, December 1, 1969
December 1, 1969.jpgGlenda Sirmans.jpg

Was I-40 complete between Farragut and Nashville in 1969?

Map says it's 2.5 hours and 166 miles today; I assume running at legal speed.

The two girls were, averaging their travel time, abducted at about 3:40 and 7:55 PMs - a four hour and 15 minute gap. Subtract the 2.5 hour travel time between the cities and that would give a potential double murderer 1 hour and 45 minutes to attack and kill the first victim, dump the body, drive to I-40 from the dump site, then, after arriving at Nashville, leaving the interstate highway for a residential area and finding a second single girl walking alone. Not impossible but everything would pretty much have to fall his way for it to happen. He could have exceeded the speed limit on I-40 to give him a few more minutes but not a lot.

I know it doesn't mean anything to the case as we discuss it, but I haven't been on this thread lately. Since I was here last, my youngest son has moved to this area and lives just off Virtue Rd.

Hello STANREID, regarding I-40, just as a quick search, this is what wikipedia says:

"The Tennessee leg of Interstate 40 was part of the original 1,047 miles (1,685 km) of interstate highways authorized for Tennessee by the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956. The first section of Interstate 40— Nonconnah Creek to Hindman Ferry Road in Shelby County (originally I-240)— was contracted in 1956, and within a year contracts had been awarded for sections in Davidson, Knox, Roane, Haywood, Madison, Jefferson, and Cocke counties. By 1958, sections in Loudon, Smith, Putnam, Cumberland, Humphreys, Hickman, and Sevier counties had been contracted. Most of Interstate 40 had been completed by the late 1960s.[2]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_40_in_Tennessee#History

Knoxville News Sentinel, December 15, 1969 (article continued)
04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg

Knoxville News Sentinel, December 15, 1969 (map)

Attachments

• 01 December 15, 1969 a.jpg
    01 December 15, 1969 a.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 55
The Knoxville News Sentinel (Dec. 15th) refers to Glenda as being found "400 yards off of a sideroad"; The Tennessean (Dec. 15th) reported that she had been discovered “about 100 yards off Lakeland Road” and that a dog had carried her shoe “to a house about 200 yards from where the girl was found.” The Knoxville News Sentinel's map seems to ID that "sideroad" as possibly being present day Miller Road (Lenoir City)...
https://www.google.com/maps?as_st=y...a=X&ei=v79MVfakBoi5yQSs0YHQCQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ

... and that the area she was found was (100 yards) east of Lakeland Drive and somewhere just south of Miller Road.

For comparison, the 1969 Knoxville News Sentinel map of the area (boxed in blue square for reference) with a 1992 US Geological Survey photo of the area (Google Earth) and present day screen cap of Google satellite view; Miller Road on the north, Lakeland Drive on the west, and Beals Chapel Road on the south:

Attachments

• 02 December 15, 1969 b.jpg
    02 December 15, 1969 b.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 03 1992 US Geo.jpg
    03 1992 US Geo.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 19
  • 04 Google circa 2015.jpg
    04 Google circa 2015.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 18
<respectfully snipped>...

The two girls were, averaging their travel time, abducted at about 3:40 and 7:55 PMs - a four hour and 15 minute gap. Subtract the 2.5 hour travel time between the cities and that would give a potential double murderer 1 hour and 45 minutes to attack and kill the first victim, dump the body, drive to I-40 from the dump site, then, after arriving at Nashville, leaving the interstate highway for a residential area and finding a second single girl walking alone....

Just a side-note: Knoxville is on Eastern Standard time and Nashville is in the Central time zone (now and in 1969). So, that adds one hour to the time frame.

“Glenda Sirmans reportedly left home ‘about 3:30 p.m.’ on a way to a friend’s house to study. She did not complete the 20-minute walk.

“Kathy Jones left home about 7:45 p.m. for a 20-minute walk to a Thompson Lane skating rink. She never got there, either.”

Just a side-note: Knoxville is on Eastern Standard time and Nashville is in the Central time zone (now and in 1969). So, that adds one hour to the time frame.

The difference between Eastern Standard Time and Central Standard time is that the time in Nashville is one hour behind the time in Knoxville.

So when Glenda Sirmans left home about 3:30 p.m. Knoxville time, it was 2:30 p.m. in Nashville.

And when Kathy Jones left home about 7:45 p.m. Nashville time, it was 8:45 p.m. in Knoxville.

So between 2:30 p.m. and 7:45 p.m. in Nashville and 3:30 p.m. and 8:45 p.m. in Knoxville, there is a 5 hour and 15 minute gap between the times that both girls were last seen.

Posting to remember Glenda Sirmans, abducted on Saturday, Nov. 29, 1969, and whose body was found on Sunday, Dec. 14, 1969.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blushybomb
Back