TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone find out if she actually made it to the skating rink?

This case has always made me so sad. Just a kid enjoying a night skating, I can't even count the number of times I did that as a child. I hope you find answers. I wouldn't wish the not knowing on my worst enemy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Did anyone find out if she actually made it to the skating rink?

I am really not sure about that. Most media reports said she didn't. But, then the police are quoted saying they don't know.

My memory was that she did. But, my memory very well could be wrong since I just picked up bits and pieces of people talking about it long afterwards.

How can the police not know that? Well, I don't know if they asked anyone or they didn't until days later when they got conflicting information, maybe.

ETA

Or.. maybe some of the reports by the original police have been lost over the years. Sigh.

This case has always made me so sad. Just a kid enjoying a night skating, I can't even count the number of times I did that as a child. I hope you find answers. I wouldn't wish the not knowing on my worst enemy.

Thank you. If the murderer dies, I wonder if the police can just tell us what they know....

Its a shame that the police just swept this "under the rug". You deserve to know what happened to your family member. I don't feel that this was a one time event for the killer. I feel that he went on to do this again. It was a thrill for him. Sorry to say it like that.

Its a shame that the police just swept this "under the rug". You deserve to know what happened to your family member. I don't feel that this was a one time event for the killer. I feel that he went on to do this again. It was a thrill for him. Sorry to say it like that.

I don't know that the police did that. I think they did investigate it. But, I'm not sure if the investigation really started until she was found murdered. (She was reported missing by her mother the same night she went skating.)

The media had less interest. And no one in my family courted the media. No one knew that you should.

I do wonder if some information in Kathy's file has been lost because it seems like the police would have quickly ascertained whether or not she ever made it to the skating rink on November 29, 1969. It was very close by, after all. So, it is very confusing for me to now read the police don't know. NOW it might be impossible to learn. But, then, it should've been pretty easy. She was meeting friends and had her 'new' skates (which were, seriously, in nice condition). So, people would've remembered her. Maybe not a lot of peoplet, but someone.

I agree. It wasn't a one time crime. It was extremely brutal. This person may have killed many people. This is why I wonder if it's not the POI the police had. It seems even if he didn't slip up to let them arrest him for Kathy, he would have for someone. Or they... I've wondered if it was two people.

I know it has been awhile but would any of her friends still be around? Could one of them seen her at the skating rink? Being older now may make them tell more. They are more than likely parents themselves and would not want something to happen to their kids and be a little more helpful.
Maybe there are old school group pictures with names on it. It only takes one person to talk. With facebook now I chat to people on there that I didn't talk to while in school but I do now because our lives are similar and we are adults.

I know it has been awhile but would any of her friends still be around? Could one of them seen her at the skating rink? Being older now may make them tell more. They are more than likely parents themselves and would not want something to happen to their kids and be a little more helpful.
Maybe there are old school group pictures with names on it. It only takes one person to talk. With facebook now I chat to people on there that I didn't talk to while in school but I do now because our lives are similar and we are adults.

That is a good idea.

I don't have any of Kathy's things. I am not sure who would at this point, that portion of the family is nearly all dead except for people who are very young. But, maybe I can figure out how to find something online.

!!I just looked up this address, it isn't where i thought...

Warning... the following article at the link has a detailed description of the crime. It was extremely horrible. This post does not contain that information.

http://m.nashvillescene.com/nashville/a-killing-a-search-a-suspect/Content?oid=1182733

This article may have been quoted, but I think there is a long and short version. There are some new comments.

Here are some facts from the article

Kathy's house was 304 Lutie St.

Roller Drome was at 523 Thompson Lane
(this is a very long road, btw, SNIP possibly inaccurate info added by me)

Kathy was also going to Krispy Kreme. I believe she was going there before the roller skating rink. She had some money from Nora for refreshments. She was found behind the Krispy Kreme and that may well be from where she was taken.

She disappeared and was reported missing Nov. 29, 1969. A Saturday.

The police say she died 'around noon' Dec. 1, 1969. A Monday.

She was a missing person for 24 hours. She was actually missing 36 hours (according to this article, so I guess it took 8 hours to go from 'just late getting home' to the police, but the article says they still thought she was a runaway... then they found her.)

The police polygraphed several people.

In 1977 they almost prosecuted Edward Warner Adcox. This went as far as Judge Gale Robinson bound the case against Adcox to the Grand Jury. The DA refused to take it any further because he didn't think they had enough evidence. (I believe this is who my father always thought was guilty.)

The police later developed a different POI. They say they keep tabs on him.

All or most of Kathy's clothing was found with her. She wasn't wearing it. Part of one of her socks was shoved down her throat. She suffocated. (Was her killer trying to silence her screams... she had to be in agony...) Her purse was also found with her. The article mentions playing cards. Someone in comments mentions a small Bible and I do believe this is true... I remember hearing about the little Bible.

A quote

Detective Charles Mills remembers getting a call from a Civil Defense worker who had discovered the body. “When I arrived on the scene...the body was laying in a patch of weedy field, about waist high,” says Mills, who is a white-haired, soft-featured man well into retirement. Mills, who is still pained by the recollections of the murder, says the case “got to me because she was from a very poor family. I never got the kid’s looks off my mind, with her laying there in those weeds.... I don’t see how a person could murder a young girl like that.”

Mills says that when the major in charge arrived on the scene, he and Detective Claude Chamberlain were assigned to work on the case. “Claude and I worked continually on this case for about six months. Then we went back on regular assignment. Every chance we got, we would jump back on the case. We worked it for nine years every chance we got.”

WARNING
There is an accurate description in this article of what happened to Kathy. It was EXTREMELY brutal. The police still said in 1998 it was the worst child murder they'd ever seen. (They have photos for the younger police who didn't personally see the scene. THOSE police also say this.)

That is a good idea.

I don't have any of Kathy's things. I am not sure who would at this point, that portion of the family is nearly all dead except for people who are very young. But, maybe I can figure out how to find something online.

Possibly trying classmates.com
If you check what would have been her graduating class and maybe post a message? Or on topix. That board is really....rough sometimes...but maybe just post her name and disappearance date and ask if anyone was at the skating rink that night?

People in comments say that Kathy attended Woodbine Elementary school. This sounds correct to me.

Possibly trying classmates.com
If you check what would have been her graduating class and maybe post a message? Or on topix. That board is really....rough sometimes...but maybe just post her name and disappearance date and ask if anyone was at the skating rink that night?

Those are good ideas.

I didn't think about trying to figure out her graduating class.

I couldn't remember for sure her school, but I just found Woodbine Elementary. Maybe I can find a better photo of her at least. She had blonde hair, but you can't tell that from the photos I've found.

I'm really sorry. I have put wrong information. I thought this all happened somewhere different than it did. I thought it was in Madison, but it looks like it's in South Nashville.

The important thing is, if that is the case, there were multiple places Kathy could've gone missing. I think when they dumped her when they were done with her, they had to have a vehicle. But, it is possible... not likely, but possible, that they didn't need a vehicle to take her.

I am really sorry about this.

I am pretty familiar with where some of this stuff is now that I've put it into a map. I've been to some of the places. I guess Nora moved after Kathy died, but I didn't know. I'm sorry.

It's okay, December. I've attached a couple of pictures of the area, and this link is a map. A is Kathy's home, and B is the roller rink. The distance is just under a mile.

http://goo.gl/maps/Bs2Oq

Attachments

• bnec.jpg
    bnec.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 2zqb.jpg
    2zqb.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 69
It's okay, December. I've attached a couple of pictures of the area, and this link is a map. A is Kathy's home, and B is the roller rink. The distance is just under a mile.

http://goo.gl/maps/Bs2Oq

Thank you so much, Bessie.

I have been trying to do that, but I was on my phone.

I appreciate it so much.

I am going to try to find some photos of that part of Nashville from some years back. I know that they changed Thompson Lane somewhat. I don't think this would affect Kathy's walk much, but I believe it might be useful to see.

I might not be able to do this until tomorrow. Thank you everyone for reading. I really appreciate everyone's help and kind thoughts.

I emailed a guy that has the nashlink.com site and asked if he maps and or pictures from 1969. Hopefully he will have some additional images to help.

I emailed a guy that has the nashlink.com site and asked if he maps and or pictures from 1969. Hopefully he will have some additional images to help.

Oh, thank you. That is such a good idea. I hope he does.

I realize now I have probably been to the Krispy Kreme she was trying to get to (or went to) and was found behind. It is no longer there. They tore it down to do something with the road in the late 90s or early 2000s.

I never realized at the time where I was because I thought she was killed in a different part of town. I don't think the roller rink thing was there any more by the time I ever went to that part of town, but I wouldn't have noticed that. I don't like roller rinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member