Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee, USA
Death 1 Dec 1969 (aged 12)
Burial
Spring Hill Cemetery
Plot Garden T, Lot 321 1/2 Grave 2

LINK:

Nora Kathleen “Kathy” Jones (1957-1969) - Find A...

Any clue what color the cab was? (This is Olivia from Flatrock, by the way)

Welcome, Olivia! Pardon me, but I haven't quite completed your Flatrock podcast. I think I have 1 episode yet to go. It's very good.

Re yr question about the color of the cab - did different cab companies in Nashville have different colors back then? Just curious.

I also have to ask: Did LE interview many of Kathy's relatives? Were some afraid to speak out at the time? These are more rhetorical questions for anyone who might be able to answer them.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know about the cab companies. I'm going to check with people who were around back then to see what they remember. I remember seeing an article (from around the time of the crime) at one point during my research about a child being approached by someone in a green car, and then a person mentioned a similar scenario to me with a green car recently. That got me wondering if the cab could have been green.

I know LE interviewed Kathy's parents and her mother's boyfriend (and later husband). I also know that her youngest brother worked with them as an adult to try and get justice as well as a cousin and possibly an aunt. Other than that, I don't know specifically what family members they talked to.

I interviewed the current cold case detectives, but they didn't offer up much (they answered the questions I asked, but if there were names I didn't know to bring up, they didn't give me extra information). However, I also interviewed a former MNPD detective who had worked the case, and he was very helpful.

Welcome, Olivia! Pardon me, but I haven't quite completed your Flatrock podcast. I think I have 1 episode yet to go. It's very good.

Re yr question about the color of the cab - did different cab companies in Nashville have different colors back then? Just curious.

I also have to ask: Did LE interview many of Kathy's relatives? Were some afraid to speak out at the time? These are more rhetorical questions for anyone who might be able to answer them.

a little history about cabs I came across here in Nashville before 1969 the big names were city cab,white top, yellow,and badger and after 1969 there was a series of sales and splits and name change and checker cabs are green but city cab,white top or badger may have been green

From what she remembers (over 50 years ago), she believes it was a green cab. I personally remember him driving a green cab when I was growing up in the 80s, as he tried to recruit my mom to drive for the company he worked for. She said his behavior after 1 night of driving scared her so badly, she never went back.

just wondering if Margaret McSpedden address is on Grandview ave or is it 2801 Nolensville pike on the corner of Nolensville pike and McClain ave that's the psychic center today

just wondering if Margaret McSpedden address is on Grandview ave or is it 2801 Nolensville pike on the corner of Nolensville pike and McClain ave that's the psychic center today

Her home was on Grandview. The empty lot where Kathy was found (behind the Krispy Kreme) is still empty. Part of it is where the McSpedden home was. There are some pictures of the lot that I took in 2017 as well as some photos from Margaret McSpedden's family here.

one more thing did metro interview neighborhood kids that may have walked to the skating rink with her before in the pass and think you for flat rock very good job

They definitely interviewed kids, though I don't know if any of them ever walked with Kathy. When I spoke with Mickey Miller (who is now the chief in Hendersonville), he talked about how they interviewed people who had been at the rink that night. Some thought they saw her, others thought they may have mixed it up with a different night. Now I don't know if any of those kids were interviewed in 1969/70 - Chief Miller handled the cold case decades later.

He also told me that Kathy *always* walked to the rink.

From what she remembers (over 50 years ago), she believes it was a green cab. I personally remember him driving a green cab when I was growing up in the 80s, as he tried to recruit my mom to drive for the company he worked for. She said his behavior after 1 night of driving scared her so badly, she never went back.

I'm attaching a screenshot from the December 3, 1969 edition of The Tennessean. Here's a link to the full article -- which may or may not work if you aren't a newspapers dot com subscriber. Clipping from The Tennessean - Newspapers.com

Someone recently got in touch with me to say that their mother (who was Kathy's age) was approached by a man in a green car behaving inappropriately back around that time. It rang a bell because I remembered this article with the mention of a green car. I started wondering if the cab could have been green, so that's definitely an interesting potential connection.

<modsnip: Screenshots/direct copy/paste from paywalled articles are not allowed>

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a 21 year former police officer and undercover SVU detective. I was the negotiating and arresting office of The Clairemont Killer, serial killer featured on America's Most Wanted. Retired, I am now an author, radio show host, and regular guest on Crime Stories with Nancy Grace. I came across Kathy's case as I was writing my soon to be released book on the abduction and murder of Dorothy Ann Distelhurst in Nashville in 1934. I am writing a book on Kathy's case with the hopes of stirring additional eyewitness and/or physical evidence. I would like to talk with DECEMBER or anyone here who has direct knowledge of the case or family. Thank you in advance.

I am a 21 year former police officer and undercover SVU detective. I was the negotiating and arresting office of The Clairemont Killer, serial killer featured on America's Most Wanted. Retired, I am now an author, radio show host, and regular guest on Crime Stories with Nancy Grace. I came across Kathy's case as I was writing my soon to be released book on the abduction and murder of Dorothy Ann Distelhurst in Nashville in 1934. I am writing a book on Kathy's case with the hopes of stirring additional eyewitness and/or physical evidence. I would like to talk with DECEMBER or anyone here who has direct knowledge of the case or family. Thank you in advance.

Thank you for the information and interest in Kathy's tragic unsolved murder. Please keep us updated if you can!

Did they ever say who the guy still working in Nashville who they suspect is named?
A Killing, A Search, A Suspect?
Before Marcia Trimble, there was Kathy Jones
by ROBERT WELLON
DEC 10, 1998

LINK:
A Killing, A Search, A Suspect?

The_Tennessean_Tue__Jun_6__1978_.jpg
The_Tennessean_Sat__Sep_24__1977_.jpg
The_Tennessean_Fri__Sep_23__1977_.jpg

Edward Warner Adcox was a skating rink bus driver who was arrested on suspicion of having raped and murdered Kathy Jones on 29 November 1969. He was never charged.

Did they ever say who the guy still working in Nashville who they suspect is named?

The 1998 article linked above does not state who Captain Miller thought was the murderer. It states that he felt Edward Warner Adcox (the bus driver) did NOT kill Kathy when he re-interviewed him years later.

Captain Miller developed this other unnamed suspect who was still living in the area in 1998.

Hey SDLampley, I am a relative of Kathy's through the marriage of Darrel Steinback to her mother Nora... Darrel Steinback was my great uncle. I grew up listening to stories of Kathy's murder. Between stories about her and Adam Walsh, I was a cautious youth, always being aware of my surroundings for safety's sake. My mother and aunt have both told me of incidents involving them and Darrel that led them to believe he was definitely responsible for Kathy's demise. After Darrel's murder in 2011, Kathy's name was brought up several times. I was told stories of accusations made against Darrel involving the attempted murder of his first wife, molestations of several children, and even an incident involving Kathy's brother Kelly (who later committed suicide after an altercation with Darrel).

I'm not 100% sure if Darrel was Kathy's killer, but Indo believe he had something to do with it. The day she went missing, Kathy had reached out to her father to blow the whistle on Darrel about something that had happened. I believe Darrel got wind of that phone call and was determined to silence her for good. I hope I'm wrong, but my gut and heart tell me I'm not.

If I can answer any questions or be of any help, please let me know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tattooed_crybaby22
Back