Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOAA data on the Cumberland River- 30 days... was higher, lower now... looks like a big river in pics IMO and it is now 18 ft deep; was 26 ft last month. Current data too.

Not sure what happened to AWP, but JL has his own thread here now.

Yes I did hear about that disgusting situation. I hope AWP continues it's good work without being tainted by that piece of trash, though.

I think extremely popular spots like those on the strip in Nashville will ask you to leave simply because you are not continuing to purchase anything.
This has not been my experience at several places in Nashville, one of which we watched an entire football game after purchasing dinner and a couple drinks.

The reality is that thousands, probably hundreds of thousands, of people are ejected from bars every year and they either make their way home or sleep it off somewhere. The Riley's of the world who go missing after getting kicked out of a bar is probably less than 1%. Stats could probably support what it would cost to introduce an ordnance that every drunk person be driven home, or back to their hotel. The costs would be astronomical. If bar patrons are okay with paying double for their drinks then it might get passed. I don't like the term 'nanny state' but that's what an ordnance would be in this case, IMO. Personal responsibility be damned.

Agree with all of this 100%. And, not to downplay this tragic RS case - but it's extremely obvious that this type of unfortunate situation happens on occasion. And, it's almost unheard of that a case like this ever get this much news/press. If anything, it may get a blurb in the local news in that area - if it even gets reported at all.

Last edited:
NOAA data on the Cumberland River- 30 days... was higher, lower now... looks like a big river in pics IMO and it is now 18 ft deep; was 26 ft last month. Current data too.

here is an article that explores the river conditions on March 8- cold water 50s and it says the river is shallow by the banks in the city but "drops off":

various randoms on the internet say it is not a good place to swim because of effluent and trash IMO, but there does seem to be kayaking and some races which have a "swim" portion like a tri race, IMO. Music City Triathlon | Downtown Nashville

"The search for missing Missouri student Riley Strain intensified Wednesday morning as officials confirmed they were focusing efforts at the Cheatham Lock and Dam near Ashland City."

(Wow, that's quite a distance. I realize the image from Google Maps below labels it as Sycamore Creek, but if I zoom out, it changes the name to Cheatham Lake, but then the label for Nashville disappears, so I tried to at least get Nashville into the image. My arrow points to Ashland City and the Cumberland River, but it looks as though the Cheatham Lock and dam are even further northwest of there.)

riley-3.jpg

Quoting the WKRN article above, "The Cheatham County Sheriff’s Office said they will be in the area around noon and called the efforts a “basic shutdown” at the facility where the Cumberland River flows into Cheatham Lake."

So I wonder if they shut down the functions at the dam, if that will allow more water to flow out of the Nashville area, lowering the levels back toward where he was last seen and making the situation for divers easier and safer?

Not sure what happened to AWP, but JL has his own thread here now.

AWP and JL are still active. They're currently involved in SAR for Rachel Merchant-Ly, river crash victim in Oregon, for whom we now have a thread.

Did she take a pic of the guy? Most phones have cans now. Seems if she were wanting to report it she’d take a photo?

At the time she did not know that the shirt was connected to a missing person. She just noticed it because it was so clean compared to the rest of his clothes, face and hands. Once she saw the info on Riley she put 2 and 2 together

"The search for missing Missouri student Riley Strain intensified Wednesday morning as officials confirmed they were focusing efforts at the Cheatham Lock and Dam near Ashland City."

(Wow, that's quite a distance. I realize the image from Google Maps below labels it as Sycamore Creek, but if I zoom out, it changes the name to Cheatham Lake, but then the label for Nashville disappears, so I tried to at least get Nashville into the image. My arrow points to Ashland City and the Cumberland River, but it looks as though the Cheatham Lock and dam are even further northwest of there.)

View attachment 491802
Whoa on a map it does seem SUPER far. This makes sense though. In the case of Dakota Bingham, a young man in his late 20s who went missing from almost the same point in the river, turned up in Rock Harbor Marina 5 days after he went missing. This is day 12 for Riley so barring any interference from debris or brush, this distance makes sense. Wild.

DB was also about RS's weight (160), but shorter at 6'0"

Here's where Rock Harbor is:
Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 12.48.11 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics