Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Large groups planning to bar hop in situations like these could secure rides in advance for their group. This wouldn't mean each person would utilize the ride but, if each fraternity member (in this case) had to chip in on a couple party busses ahead of time maybe they would be more inclined to use it and it would be something easy. Also allows them to take responsibility for themselves. MOO

It just seems like everything went wrong that night and contributed to what happened. It seems so eerily predestined. There was so many ways it could have been prevented but no one felt called to action. Not even he took a moment to stop, look at the Maps app on his phone, figured out he was going the wrong way, and turned around.

Large groups planning to bar hop in situations like these could secure rides in advance for their group. This wouldn't mean each person would utilize the ride but, if each fraternity member (in this case) had to chip in on a couple party busses ahead of time maybe they would be more inclined to use it and it would be something easy. Also allows them to take responsibility for themselves. MOO
I get that if the area you intend to travel to isn't near the hotel, but this was easy walking distance here.

But there can never be a plan to eliminate every risk.

This group did take measures, it would seem.

Hotel within walking distance. No party bus, no cars, no DUIs.

We don't know what his friends did next either. Perhaps they settled up and moved across the street to the other bar. Expecting to meet up with him there. Not alarmed he wasn't, figured he'd opted for the hotel. By the time they themselves got to the hotel, I'm guessing they were feeling no pain. Could well have passed out and realized only upon waking up/coming to that he hadn't returned.

There are always so many things that could go wrong. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. High stakes.

JMO

Last edited:
But there can never be a plan to eliminate every risk.

This group did take measures, it would seem.

Hotel within walking distance. No party bus, no cars, no DUIs.

We don't know what his friends did next either. Perhaps they settled up and moved across the street to the other bar. Expecting to meet up with him there. Not alarmed he wasn't, figured he'd opted for the hotel. By the tone they themselves got to the hotel, in guessing they were feeling no pain. Could well have passed out and realized only upon waking up/coming to that he hadn't returned.

There's always so many things that could go wrong. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. High stakes.

JMO
Agreed, they crashed and didn’t realize until the next day that he’d never returned to the hotel.

It just seems like everything went wrong that night and contributed to what happened. It seems so eerily predestined. There was so many ways it could have been prevented but no one felt called to action. Not even he took a moment to stop, look at the Maps app on his phone, figured out he was going the wrong way, and turned around.
maybe his phone quit pinging because it was actually dead and not broke/turned off/hit water? (JMO and playing devil's advocate on this one).

I agree! I've thought about this a lot. I think in lists and here's a list of some bad luck/missed opportunities experienced by RS that fateful night:

- asked to leave bar
- friend doesn't go with
- gets lost
- texted friend earlier that he's going to hotel, but doesn't text when lost (assume)
- friends don't notice he's missing until next day
- many on street see him, no one helps
- person in smoke shop sees him, doesn't call into 911
- falls and possibly hits head
- exhibits normal enough behavior in front of police officer that he arouses no suspicion
- text with g/f is 'off' but doesn't clearly state he needs help
- seen at encampment but no help is summoned
- possibly was walking to a different location with similar name
- likely encounters steep embankment and falls into river

MOO

maybe his phone quit pinging because it was actually dead and not broke/turned off/hit water? (JMO and playing devil's advocate on this one).
That's what I was hoping too but it was released yesterday that there was still battery left on his phone when it died so it was either powered off or it went into the water.

At a hunting camp that my son knew like the back of his hand, he walked straight off an embankment into a creek while intoxicated. Thankfully, there was only about a foot of water in it and several people around so he was quickly back on dry land. When asked what made him do that he basically said that he had to pee and it was dark in that direction. I can see the same scenario here except that it’s a river and no one was around to know.

My step-dad did the same thing, he walked off a dock on a lake in Michigan drunk one night. Broke 2 ribs.

I agree! I've thought about this a lot. I think in lists and here's a list of some bad luck/missed opportunities experienced by RS that fateful night:

- asked to leave bar
- friend doesn't go with
- gets lost
- texted friend earlier that he's going to hotel, but doesn't text when lost (assume)
- friends don't notice he's missing until next day
- many on street see him, no one helps
- person in smoke shop sees him, doesn't call into 911
- falls and possibly hits head
- exhibits normal enough behavior in front of police officer that he arouses no suspicion
- text with g/f is 'off' but doesn't clearly state he needs help
- seen at encampment but no help is summoned
- possibly was walking to a different location with similar name
- likely encounters steep embankment and falls into river

MOO
Yes, that sure covers it. Poor Riley never caught a break that night.

Going along with the falling in the river scenario, how did the homeless person get Riley's shirt? We have a report from volunteers that say they saw a homeless man in Riley's Garth Brooks style shirt. They said it looked clean still.

This brings up a thought I had. I’m sure people are searching dumpsters and like land fills right?
Not landfills, as that’s a last resort when you have a decent idea someone is there. It’s incredibly dangerous and costly.

I’m sure they looked in any location he could be, but a location that’s not in the water is incredibly unlikely because of his phone suddenly going dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C7173