Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

Also, this said, young guys out at a bar and one "disappears" is not typically a cause for alarm, even if the guy is hammered. You think, maybe he met a girl, maybe he fell asleep on a bench somewhere, maybe he got arrested, maybe he crashed in another room, a million different options. I don't find it alarming that they didn't call authorities. I am sure they got home late (3:00 or something like that?) and passed out cold. They probably slept late and it took a while to realize that he was gone. And quite honestly, I can see the guys just thinking, hey, he's a grown man, he's 6'7", he can take care of himself.
Snipped for focus:
I agree. They couldn’t see the outcome at that point. He was a 6 foot 7 adult male. The formal had been looked forward to for a year. I don’t believe they felt anything so awful as what we now know occurred in retrospect, was in the offing. MOO

By Brendan Tierney
Published: Apr. 12, 2024 at 6:56 PM EDT
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WSMV) - A volunteer group is restarting the search for any evidence about what happened to Riley Strain. They’re now using divers in the Cumberland River hoping to get the family closure.

Strain’s body was found without his phone, pants and boots
. Those are the main clues this group hopes to find in the area where he was last seen alive.

“It’s got to be somewhere,” Marcoux said. “I don’t know if it’s in the river, if it’s in the woods, but it didn’t just vanish. We can’t stop until we find some of the items. We will just keep going until we can get a full picture of what happened that night.”

This is what I don’t understand.
Why wasn’t the video from the club released? I think I remember seeing that tge family opted not to release it because it may have not portrayed RS in the best light.

Knowing they’re searching for answers and every bit helps, the bar video could have generated more tips. It certainly could have gotten the public’s attention. Every one of those kids that was there that night would have played it on TMZ, if for nothing, but to see if they’re on it. Maybe it would have jogged someone’s memory.
What is so bad on it that it wasn’t released?

I don’t know if this is driven by their faith or conservative upbringing, and I notice that families such as Riley’s and Caleb’s seem reserved about certain information being shared or discussed w the public.
MOO

Why wasn’t the video from the club released? I think I remember seeing that tge family opted not to release it because it may have not portrayed RS in the best light.

Knowing they’re searching for answers and every bit helps, the bar video could have generated more tips. It certainly could have gotten the public’s attention. Every one of those kids that was there that night would have played it on TMZ, if for nothing, but to see if they’re on it. Maybe it would have jogged someone’s memory.

I don’t know if this is driven by their faith or conservative upbringing, and I notice that families such as Riley’s and Caleb’s seem reserved about certain information being shared or discussed w the public.
MOO
I can't believe not one of his frat brothers have come forward about anything. What is there to hide? Obviously, they haven't been told to back off by the family. Were they told to back off my LE or maybe chapter leadership? I don't know. It definitely feels that they have put a wall up in protection of the chapter and I get that to a certain point. You don't want anyone making any statement that might be construed as to equate with any responsibility of the organization. Legally, that is probably pretty smart. These national frats have a LOT of money in their coffers and keeping a "good name" is actually really important to them.

That said, not one non-frat friend? Family member? Classmate? Teacher? Who was Riley and what do we actually know about him? Was he known to do this kind of thing in the past? Was he causing trouble in the bar and the brothers were mad at him or embarrassed? Was he a jerk? (I don't think so.) Was he problematic? I have zero idea, because of course the family wants to portray him as an Eagle Scout and maybe he was. But all we have is a case of LE vs. Family on what to believe.

MOO
<Snipped for focus>

I am not sure what you are referring to. Riley's family has been very forthcoming with information related to Riley's disappearance, and I haven't seen them supposedly holding back any information. Same with Caleb's family, they have acknowledged that Caleb could have gotten into a car or been pulled into a car. So not sure what you are referring to.

But all we have is a case of LE vs. Family on what to believe.
<Snipped for focus>

I don't think this is a case of LE vs. family regarding the circumstances of Riley's death. For LE, they have come to a conclusion based on their investigation. LE is limited in resources and once they reach a conclusion in their investigation, they have to move on to other cases. The family has other options. They can continue to investigate and keep trying to find more information if it is out there to find. I think they will continue to follow up on any leads they may get until all leads and possible information is exhausted. More power to them. I would do the same if it was my child.

MOO
I've not read anything in the MSM suggesting the family held back any video for any reason. Do you have a link? Also I'm not sure I know which club you are referring to. We know the group went to 4 bars that night while RS was with them. Early on before RS was found his mother said she face-timed with him while he was at one of the bars (before Luke's) around 7:30-8 pm. So I don't think the family is "reserved" about him being in a bar drinking.

Personally I'm not sure what good that sort of footage would do in the public arena. RS's picture was/is spread everywhere as was the description of his shirt. But I expect any video taken inside private businesses is not available except to LE. IMO playing it on TV might appear to violate the privacy of other patrons. Honestly I can't imagine the management of any bar would agree to that (nor do we know if there IS video inside the bar showing RS, do we?) At any rate, if it exists, I doubt it's up to the family to release it.
MOO

I've not read anything in the MSM suggesting the family held back any video for any reason. Do you have a link? Also I'm not sure I know which club you are referring to. We know the group went to 4 bars that night while RS was with them. Early on before RS was found his mother said she face-timed with him while he was at one of the bars (before Luke's) around 7:30-8 pm. So I don't think the family is "reserved" about him being in a bar drinking.

Personally I'm not sure what good that sort of footage would do in the public arena. RS's picture was/is spread everywhere as was the description of his shirt. But I expect any video taken inside private businesses is not available except to LE. IMO playing it on TV might appear to violate the privacy of other patrons. Honestly I can't imagine the management of any bar would agree to that (nor do we know if there IS video inside the bar showing RS, do we?) At any rate, if it exists, I doubt it's up to the family to release it.
MOO
Yes, there’s a video.

Riley was kicked out of Luke’s bar. There was some sort of commotion/disagreement possibly over a female patron or a bartender.
He was served one drink and two waters.
This was in the beginning stages of the case and frequently discussed on previous threads.
The bar video was never released, despite asking the public to come forward with any information they may have.

Also, important to note, this was never a criminal investigation.

Last edited:
Yes, there’s a video.

Riley was kicked out of Luke’s bar. There was some sort of commotion/disagreement possibly over a female patron or a bartender.
He was served one drink and two waters.
This was in the beginning stages of the case and frequently discussed on previous threads.
The bar video was never released, despite asking the public to come forward with any information they may have.
I'm aware of that incident. At first the family was up in arms over RS being booted but it sounded like once they knew what happened at Luke's, they weren't focused on that incident anymore. (It surely sounded that way from the family spokesperson.) I didn't think it sounded like they were hiding anything though.

That said, I have never read there was a video of the incident. Do you have a link discussing a video? Also though, even if there was a video, I don't see how it could be up to the family to release it. The video would belong to the bar. And IF the incident involved a female patron (we don't know it did but people have guessed it might) why should a video of her be in the public arena? How is that going to reveal what happened to RS later?
MOO

MOO
I wasn’t referring to them being reserved regarding drinking, but rather the situation that caused him to get kicked out.

IF there’s even a slight possibility being raised of his drink being spiked (at the other bar or this one), would be pretty significant to see if any patrons remember the moments of any interaction with him or anyone AROUND him.

Unfortunately it does seem as though the family might have some bitter feelings:

Fraternity brothers partied while family searched for Riley

I'm not surprised.
The Greek system attracts people who want to socialize and "party".
Guys in a fraternity aren't actually "brothers", why would Riley's family expect any more from them?

Do they really believe these guys bond like family just because they drink together and sleep in the same house?

Please do NOT expect a fellow sorority sister or frat bro to care about your safety.

Edited to add: If Riley only had one alcoholic drink at the bar, he must have pre-partied beforehand. I would bet all of them did, and now are hesitant to speak because they would be blamed by his family for giving Riley too much.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering what Riley's parents expected his frat buddies to do? If all of them were as intoxicated as Riley, I would think they'd be of little value; the blind leading the blind, so to speak. Having a bunch of drunk 20 and 21 years olds trying to provide lucid advice to someone as drunk as they were seems counterproductive in terms of administering advice. Perhaps one of them suggested he go to the bar across the street and we know how that turned out. Denied access, by himself, intoxicated, disoriented, and confused. Probably like a 100 other intoxicated people turfed from bars that night.

Just as parents believe their child will turn up, praying he'll turn up, they offer up words like, we're not mad, just come back and we'll sort it out. So why wouldn't a bunch of 20 and 21 year olds probably believe he got lucky, or he passed out somewhere and he'd turn up. And a part of them, because they are still young, also think it's better not to sound an alarm when they don't know what's going on so they wait 14 hours before they call the police. Was that 14 hour delay to ensure Riley was well and truly lost or a self preservation move to ensure their intoxicated status wouldn't have been an issue for their families and LE?

I really don't understand the parents negative attitude towards the rest of the entourage. All of them were drunk. All of them were lucky it didn't happen to them. And I'm sure their parents breathed a sigh of relief that their kid was safe and hopefully learned a lesson. Perhaps a scholarship in Riley's name would open the conversation rather than condemning his buddies for being survivors.

I'm just wondering what Riley's parents expected his frat buddies to do? If all of them were as intoxicated as Riley, I would think they'd be of little value; the blind leading the blind, so to speak. Having a bunch of drunk 20 and 21 years olds trying to provide lucid advice to someone as drunk as they were seems counterproductive in terms of administering advice. Perhaps one of them suggested he go to the bar across the street and we know how that turned out. Denied access, by himself, intoxicated, disoriented, and confused. Probably like a 100 other intoxicated people turfed from bars that night.

Just as parents believe their child will turn up, praying he'll turn up, they offer up words like, we're not mad, just come back and we'll sort it out. So why wouldn't a bunch of 20 and 21 year olds probably believe he got lucky, or he passed out somewhere and he'd turn up. And a part of them, because they are still young, also think it's better not to sound an alarm when they don't know what's going on so they wait 14 hours before they call the police. Was that 14 hour delay to ensure Riley was well and truly lost or a self preservation move to ensure their intoxicated status wouldn't have been an issue for their families and LE?

I really don't understand the parents negative attitude towards the rest of the entourage. All of them were drunk. All of them were lucky it didn't happen to them. And I'm sure their parents breathed a sigh of relief that their kid was safe and hopefully learned a lesson. Perhaps a scholarship in Riley's name would open the conversation rather than condemning his buddies for being survivors.
I can certainly understand what you're describing above. If they last saw him around 9:30pm or whatever time it was, and they continued to party, were also very inebriated, it's very possible they returned to the hotel in the wee hours and immediately passed out themselves.

I'm not sure we ever learned of the hotel room situation - was he rooming with one or more guys? If he was, and they didn't wake up until 8 or 9am, that would account for 12 hours, and then of course they're not going to think right away that something bad happened after they woke up. If his bed didn't look slept in, as you said, maybe they thought he hooked up with a girl in another bar.

What does bother me regarding his fellow travelers is that they haven't really been in communication with his parents. Even if they have nothing more to offer than what they already know about the event in the bar, surely they'd want to reach out to them!! They could certainly provide details into his state of mind/drunkenness, if he had planned to go elsewhere, if he knew his way back to the hotel, etc. This article touches on that:

According to Gilbert, none of Riley’s fraternity brothers have reached out to the family following Riley’s disappearance and death.

“We haven’t spoke with them. We haven’t really heard that much from them. They’re the ones that was with Riley that night, the last night he was with us. There’s a lot of things we’d like to find out from them,” Gilbert said.

I'm not surprised.
The Greek system attracts people who want to socialize and "party".
Guys in a fraternity aren't actually "brothers", why would Riley's family expect any more from them?

Do they really believe these guys bond like family just because they drink together and sleep in the same house?

Please do NOT expect a fellow sorority sister or frat bro to care about your safety.

Edited to add: If Riley only had one alcoholic drink at the bar, he must have pre-partied beforehand. I would bet all of them did, and now are hesitant to speak because they would be blamed by his family for giving Riley too much.
BBM

They may have had drinks before they left the hotel. We don't know. But the group also went to 4 bars-- RS had one alcoholic drink at the last bar--- Luke's. We know about the other bars from his family who have accessed his bank acct. I don't think we know how many alcoholic drinks he had in the other 3 bars. We do know RS face-timed with his mom at a bar earlier (before Luke's) around 7:30-8 pm. We also know he texted his mom about an alcoholic drink that "tasted funny, like barbeque" at one point. But according to the family, that wasn't while he was at Luke's. All those facts came out in the NewsNation appearance linked above (except for the face-timing. That was reported early on during the search.)

The other students may be worried they'll be blamed-- and they are probably right to worry. To some extent, they ARE being blamed. But RS was an adult. He was 22, probably one of the older people in the group. No one was forcing him to drink. And if the family can track where he went during the evening from looking at his bank acct, no one in the group was "giving him" those drinks.
MOO

Last edited:
I can certainly understand what you're describing above. If they last saw him around 9:30pm or whatever time it was, and they continued to party, were also very inebriated, it's very possible they returned to the hotel in the wee hours and immediately passed out themselves.

I'm not sure we ever learned of the hotel room situation - was he rooming with one or more guys? If he was, and they didn't wake up until 8 or 9am, that would account for 12 hours, and then of course they're not going to think right away that something bad happened after they woke up. If his bed didn't look slept in, as you said, maybe they thought he hooked up with a girl in another bar.

What does bother me regarding his fellow travelers is that they haven't really been in communication with his parents. Even if they have nothing more to offer than what they already know about the event in the bar, surely they'd want to reach out to them!! They could certainly provide details into his state of mind/drunkenness, if he had planned to go elsewhere, if he knew his way back to the hotel, etc. This article touches on that:

According to Gilbert, none of Riley’s fraternity brothers have reached out to the family following Riley’s disappearance and death.

“We haven’t spoke with them. We haven’t really heard that much from them. They’re the ones that was with Riley that night, the last night he was with us. There’s a lot of things we’d like to find out from them,” Gilbert said.

But a little over a month ago, a few days before RS's body was found, this was said:

"The fraternity brothers who were with Riley Strain on the night he vanished in Nashville, Tennessee, are "heartbroken" as the search for the 22-year-old continues, Strain's mother said.

"We love these boys like our own," Strain's mom, Michelle Whiteid, said through tears at a news conference Tuesday. "It's just as hard on them as it is on us."

Riley Strain's fraternity brothers 'heartbroken' as search in Nashville continues, his mom says

Things certainly seem to have changed since then. But the mom and stepdad did know the brothers went to the formal the night after RS went missing. They knew it at the time because they say they saw them in formal wear.

So while we are just finding out, that's not something the family just found out. I'm not sure what changed for the family re: the fraternity brothers. I guess the family was in shock initially? And when shock wears off, there's more intense pain. And more what-ifs. And blame.

I feel sorry for the family. But even if the fraternity brothers aren't worried about liability (or even just ordinary blame) people that age aren't always skilled at expressing sympathy for a death. Actually people of many ages aren't and may worry about saying the "wrong thing" so they say nothing.
MOO

I really don't understand the parents negative attitude towards the rest of the entourage. All of them were drunk.
RSBM
I think his family now understand the real values this fraternity has.
It might be completely different than how Riley described it to them. Some kids lie, because they know their parents wont let them join otherwise (and pay for their membership, boarding fees, etc.).
Sororities are very very expensive, not sure about fraternities.

But a little over a month ago, a few days before RS's body was found, this was said:

"The fraternity brothers who were with Riley Strain on the night he vanished in Nashville, Tennessee, are "heartbroken" as the search for the 22-year-old continues, Strain's mother said.

"We love these boys like our own," Strain's mom, Michelle Whiteid, said through tears at a news conference Tuesday. "It's just as hard on them as it is on us."

Riley Strain's fraternity brothers 'heartbroken' as search in Nashville continues, his mom says

Things certainly seem to have changed since then. But the mom and stepdad did know the brothers went to the formal the night after RS went missing. They knew it at the time because they say they saw them in formal wear.

So while we are just finding out, that's not something the family just found out. I'm not sure what changed for the family re: the fraternity brothers. I guess the family was in shock initially? And when shock wears off, there's more intense pain. And more what-ifs. And blame.

I feel sorry for the family. But even if the fraternity brothers aren't worried about liability (or even just ordinary blame) people that age aren't always skilled at expressing sympathy for a death. Actually people of many ages aren't and may worry about saying the "wrong thing" so they say nothing.
MOO
I think you’re right. The grim reality that Riley is gone is setting in, and everything seems black to them now. And remember, the mom said these nice things about the fraternity BEFORE Riley was found. She was at that point in time probably still clinging to a secret hope that he’d somehow still be found alive.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bnicole*
Back