Found Deceased TN - Unnamed Sheriff's Deputy Disappeared While Transporting Female Passenger, Meigs County, 2/14/24

dbm

Last edited:
This is vey unfortunate and sad. I can't even imagine the horror, especially for the arrested woman because she was handcuffed and helpless. May they both rest in peace. Could anything be done to prevent this from happening in the future?

yes I said it in another post - boat ramps need GATES and signage
it literally happened in the exact same place mere weeks ago!
luckily in that case they were able to rescue the person
this happens over and over and still there is no action to make boat ramps inaccessible at night
it's a pretty simple fix as long as boat owners do their part to close the gate behind them

yes I said it in another post - boat ramps need GATES and signage
it literally happened in the exact same place mere weeks ago!
luckily in that case they were able to rescue the person
this happens over and over and still there is no action to make boat ramps inaccessible at night
it's a pretty simple fix as long as boat owners do their part to close the gate behind them
It seems pretty clear from several articles though that the Deputy was also texting while driving…
ETA: just saying… for sure signs are needed, etc… but texting and driving is incredibly irresponsible.

Last edited:
It seems pretty clear from several articles though that the Deputy was also texting while driving…
ETA: just saying… for sure signs are needed, etc… but texting and driving is incredibly irresponsible.

for sure and a gate would've stopped his vehicle and saved the arrested person's life despite his irresponsible texting

Please someone link me where the officer was texting and driving? So far the only thing I've seen is that he texted his wife a one word text and no conformation that it was while driving. I mean ACTUAL confirmation, not articles taking that one text message and running with assumptions

“The deputy . . . appeared to be texting and radioing while driving in a poorly lit area he was unfamiliar with.”

It’s disturbing that the deputy is focused on while the poor woman who died as possibly a result of his negligence is barely mentioned.

Please someone link me where the officer was texting and driving? So far the only thing I've seen is that he texted his wife a one word text and no conformation that it was while driving. I mean ACTUAL confirmation, not articles taking that one text message and running with assumptions
It’s not definite proof or anything, but the article I linked has quotations from the Meigs County District Attorney, including him saying that the deputy appeared to be texting and radioing.

Again, not definite or any real evidence but a quote from an involved official holds more weight than just an assumption from a member of the public IMO.

@favoritesong thanks for posting. I missed the first time that it seems to indicate his text was sent about the same time he sent the inaudible radio communication possible saying "water". Two lives lost over something totally preventable - whether he was distracted while driving or just the boat ramp not being properly identifiable and barricaded.

@favoritesong thanks for posting. I missed the first time that it seems to indicate his text was sent about the same time he sent the inaudible radio communication possible saying "water". Two lives lost over something totally preventable - whether he was distracted while driving or just the boat ramp not being properly identifiable and barricaded.
No problem! It’s always good to double check, especially in a situations like this where there are a lot of emotions involved. It’s just such a tragedy that seems like it could have been avoided in several different ways.

"The organizer of the ride, John Walsh said, “I just organized this ride because when this news first broke that Tabitha was in this with the deputy that I felt like her name, that she was left out, you know. Somebody is always a somebody. And I felt like her she was just as important as the deputy was.”

The article states that they'll be holding another memorial ride for the police officer Robert Leonard on March 23.

Unless I've missed something, this is the only recent article I've seen about the accident. I wonder if there was any additional investigation as to exactly what happened.

Edited to add this article, which gives a little more info about the memorial ride, but nothing new about the incident itself.

Edited again to add this article. It's not a new article, but says it was recently updated, and it has some interesting information:

Last edited:

"The organizer of the ride, John Walsh said, “I just organized this ride because when this news first broke that Tabitha was in this with the deputy that I felt like her name, that she was left out, you know. Somebody is always a somebody. And I felt like her she was just as important as the deputy was.”

The article states that they'll be holding another memorial ride for the police officer Robert Leonard on March 23.

Unless I've missed something, this is the only recent article I've seen about the accident. I wonder if there was any additional investigation as to exactly what happened.

Edited to add this article, which gives a little more info about the memorial ride, but nothing about the incident itself.

I've seen a lot more locally..
The local news keeps up with it fairly well. About once a week we hear something?

This is vey unfortunate and sad. I can't even imagine the horror, especially for the arrested woman because she was handcuffed and helpless. May they both rest in peace. Could anything be done to prevent this from happening in the future?

Not having roads that lead to water.

Ungated boat ramps suck.

This was a small start to safety, but a resident and long time fisherman in the area says lights weren't working and he couldn't see the reflectors.
I wonder if there are any signs immediately before the tamp that says ramp ahead. It was slightly overwhelming to look at the picture of the ramp in the daytime, I couldn't imagine this area at night. I believe a gate, concrete "bumpers" and better signage could help prevent this in the future.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelonyAnn
Back