trial day 52: REBUTTAL; #159

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure the families of the victims of the rapists and creeps that Nurmi represent have sent him an opinion or two over the years. It is one thing to get handed this case because you have to do public defender work, it is quite another to CHOOSE that little niche.

All attorneys cannot be prosecutors. Innocent people do get accused of horrible crimes. A dirty job but there is a great need for defense attorneys. Jodi seems to be able to pull the wool over many peoples eyes. Nurmi may have originally believed in Jodi's innocence, though I am sure he knows she is guilty now. It is his duty to zealously defend his client. And the publicity which will ensure he will be in demand and that he can ask higher fees is definitely an incentive. Just don't get him confused with his client. No body is that bad....except other sickening psycho killers.
Prosecutors and defense attorneys are usually friendly with each other out of actual trial. It is the nature of the beast for defense attorneys to be held in the same regard as their client by the public.

I keep defending the process here and the attorneys but it;s not because I like the defense or the delays. However, it is reality. This court does have a lot of delays and a short schedule for the trial but she's handling more than just this case and since this is a televised, high profile case with a non-sequestered jury, lots of things come up that don;t normally.

Yes, Nurmi is slow and both seem redundant in questioning but JM has been redundant as well. I don;t think any of the attorneys have excessively delayed these proceedings outside what other attorneys in such cases do.

I see zero evidence that the judge lacks control of her courtroom.

The only thing she does that really bothers me is constant sealed hearing and chambers conferences. The public has a right to know much of what's going on. I don't think it's very constitutional.

Yes, it;s called the insider observation thread but frankly, even though it;s not supposed to be a discussion thread it's turned into that. I don;t bother going much anymore because it takes too long to wade through the posts to find the actual insider observations! :scared:

Thanks Gitana1. I have never been involved in a court case except a domestic issue and it helps to have things explained from a person that is involved with the legal system and understands how the courts work.

Hedonist. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time whilst I endure an excruciatingly boring and thoroughly unnecessary meeting.

....ummm..couldn't you just pretend to channel your inner Don Draper.....:floorlaugh:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...b23fd2-ac75-11e2-9493-2ff3bf26c4b4_story.html

Arias is profiting from her notoriety by selling drawings from jail on a website operated by a third party, her mother, Sandra Arias, has said. According to the site, some pieces are fetching more than a $1,000, and Sandra Arias said the money is being used to help pay for family expenses while attending the trial. Nothing prevents Arias from profiting from her notoriety given she hasn’t been convicted of a crime.
A woman in the gallery who attends the trial regularly also says she operating a Twitter account on Arias’ behalf, gathering comments from the defendant via jail phone calls. Some of the Tweets have consisted of religious quotes, while others attack the prosecutor and TV pundits who expound on the case daily.
The Associated Press cannot confirm, aside from with family and friends, whether the Twitter account or website are actually her words or artwork

It annoys me that people think that she bought hair dye at walmart (if you are watching HLN)

The purchases Jodi made that are on the Walmart receipt are
Gas Can
2 Sunscreen
and
2 Acne Wipes. NOT HAIR DYE!!!

I agree. I know that there is at least one CVS receipt but we haven't seen the list of items that is on it yet. I hope that will be where we see a hair dye purchase along with her family sized bottle of KY.

I won't be at all surprised if there is no trial at all today. I'm not being pessimistic - just realistic.

It's supposed to start at 1:30 - but that's not going to happen.

Won't surprise me in the least but am hopeful the judge will be able to keep this trial on track rather than allow for another wasted day of testimony in front of a jury who I presume is as anxious as anyone else to get to the end of the line.

O/T but i'm quite sure HLN reads our posts on here and produce their shows based on our comments.

It annoys me that people think that she bought hair dye at walmart (if you are watching HLN)

The purchases Jodi made that are on the Walmart receipt are
Gas Can
2 Sunscreen
and
2 Acne Wipes. NOT HAIR DYE!!!

Why does it annoy you? It is just a question.. Someone said her hair color was different soon after the murders. The hair dye had to come from somewhere.

Death threats or threats of any kind against the DT or its witnesses are not good.

Public defenders are a necessary part of our judicial system. JW has a job to do, and that is to defend JA to the best of her ability. While we may not agree with the way that JA has directed her case, as long as there is no breach of ethics, JW must oblige.

Some persons charged with crimes are indeed innocent. It would seem that these are the cases that motivate public defenders to do what they do; provide those charged with the best defense possible to ensure that justice is served.

Let's make sure all of us conduct ourselves appropriately here.
(BBM)

I don't think that the WS crew needs to be schoolmarmed on appropriate behavior in re death threats to defense.

I agree with the rest of your post. Every defendant deserves his or her day in court--and for his or her rights to be protected. So far, Jodi's had that in spades.

I agree. I know that there is at least one CVS receipt but we haven't seen the list of items that is on it yet. I hope that will be where we see a hair dye purchase along with her family sized bottle of KY.

"family sized" and "bottle of KY" should NEVER be used together :floorlaugh:

Resp. Snipped:

JMO and MOO ... but this sounds like something Jodi and/or her supporters would do for "attention" ... they are sooooooo desperate !

:waitasec: I hope they checked Donavan and her pals' cell phone records ...

:moo:

When are lawyers NOT being subjected to threats? This is just a slow news day. I'll bet the switchboard at the Prosecutor's office gets at least 10 a day against various lawyers working there.

Have to step back and remember, JA is NOT Charles Manson. She's just some deluded chick from Cali. JMO. :floorlaugh:

:tyou: I looked for the "great post" smilie, but couldn't find it! I think this is SUCH an important point. It's the most sickening part of it, really, and TRULY speaks to her depravity.

I think Juan will hammer it home in closing arguments and in the penalty phase.

"Depravity"

Yes, depraved is a fitting descriptor.

She is the very embodiment of evil; the incarnation of wickedness.

I think the reason she took the rental is because her car could not make it to AZ and back out without more than 3 gas cans. She chose a smaller car better gas mileage to get her in and out without stopping. Jodi had this all figured out and now that we know she has a 119 IQ it makes sense she would do that calculation had she planned to go through AZ undetected. jmo

Folks..people in mesa knew her car, TA knew her car, roommates knew her car, hell even neighbors prolly knew her car...she rented a car so as not to be driving a known vehicle for the heinous crime she was gonna commit! She doesn't have to clean it if it gets dirty (brownish/reddish stains in the back seats), it would have been thoroughly cleaned and re-rented by the time they even thought it was her. Her having her car detailed after the murder would have been suspicious and there would be a paper trail to that. So hence, rent a car and that's something less to worry about in her sick *advertiser censored** mind.

All attorneys cannot be prosecutors. Innocent people do get accused of horrible crimes. A dirty job but there is a great need for defense attorneys. Jodi seems to be able to pull the wool over many peoples eyes. Nurmi may have originally believed in Jodi's innocence, though I am sure he knows she is guilty now. It is his duty to zealously defend his client. And the publicity which will ensure he will be in demand and that he can ask higher fees is definitely an incentive. Just don't get him confused with his client. No body is that bad....except other sickening psycho killers.
Prosecutors and defense attorneys are usually friendly with each other out of actual trial. It is the nature of the beast for defense attorneys to be held in the same regard as their client by the public.

You don't think someone who would have a person they know to be a murderer set loose on society just as bad? They are endangering the public. Defense attorneys are only necessary because of the way we choose to set up our legal system.

....ummm..couldn't you just pretend to channel your inner Don Draper.....:floorlaugh:

Well, I actually do wear vintage cufflinks when I lecture. I like to dress for that. However, when sitting in this particular meeting, it will be important for me to be academic, professorial, and smarty-pants-like when I interject an occasional comment to make it appear as though I am actually paying attention. If I am a bit tipsy, I am likely to blurt out something more akin to, "Are we done yet? I need to get back to the Arias trial." This would likely result in a chilly reception from my colleagues.

Not sure if this has been posted or not (sorry if it has, been away this morning) but here's an interesting video that was posted on the State FB site.
****Warning graphic photos are included in the video****
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=39cjZz78OkA#!

That is a very good video. I've seen the autopsy photos and they are graphic, but the jury has to see these in order to find that not only was this NOT self defense, but it's not voluntary manslaughter either. I can't see how any juror could believe this was not a premeditated murder fueled by anger and revenge by a sick woman with a dangerous personality disorder.

It's a basic story and easy to understand; she used sex to try and bind Travis to her, he broke up with her which she never considered because she thought she had him wrapped up with the sex and the religion that he would never leave her, she stalked him and snooped in his accounts to find information that she could use to further bind him to her, he rejected her and called her bad names (Travis had serious guilt issues about his own behavior I'm sure and tended to vent his anger toward Jodi, which by no means is domestic violence), and she could not stand to lose him, and outing him meant she would have to out herself and "look bad" to her new LDS and PPL family. She decided to sneak to Mesa, take one more crack (pardon the pun) at getting him back, when he had sex with her but then refused to take her back, she just straight up killed him and all the seething anger she held inside while being "mysterious" came out and Travis had to pay for making her so angry. And pay he did.

Originally Posted by katydid23
I use my DD's old abandoned desktop, that already has a virus, to go see the JAII site. I would be afraid of going there with my laptop.

About the confession. Over at that site, many believe that Jodi only confessed because she mistakenly believes she killed Travis. They think that she blanked out after she had to defend herself from his attack on her. And she ran away, then his roommates came in and killed him and staged the scene. They did this as a Mormon ritual of some kind, since he was breaking the rules or something.

Seriously, I am not joking. That is what they actually believe.

Kensie said:
Well there went my lunch. These people at the innocent site are ???????
I know what I want to put but afraid I will be put in TO.

I know this isn't always true, but obviously some people post things just to be a goof. This sounds like pretty goofy stuff to me! :moo:

Just makes me feel better to not believe people believe that claptrap, but some do, no doubt. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
funeris antro