TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO he’s setting the ‘scene’ for cross of the ME (who imo was not particularly strong at Loris trial) and he own ‘expert’ witness. There will be more of Tammy being ‘fat’ and a ‘couch potato’.

ETA Tammy is the important death for JP imo, because Chads children believe that Chad did not kill her and she died of natural causes. Even if he is found guilty of conspiracy for JJ and Tylee and Tammy, they will be able to say that their dad did not kill their mom.
Alex's phone pings in the evening of the night Tammy died are suspicious, as well as Chad's phone being off. If Alex killed Tammy that night, he didn't have access to her without Chad. Why else would Alex be hanging around in Chad's neighborhood? Why would he need to turn off his phone?

Could not find my last post on what I am using as reference in my notes - so here it is again... so I have the correct post #.

Friday, April 26th:
*Trial continues (Day 12) (@ 8:30am MT) – ID – Joshua Jaxon (JJ) Vallow (7) & Tylee Ashlyn Ryan (16) (JJ last seen Sept. 23, 2019 & Tylee on Sept. 9, 2019, Rexburg; found June 9, 2020 buried in Daybell’s yard in Salem, ID) & Tamara “Tammy” Michelle Douglas Daybell (49) (died on Oct. 19, 2019 at her residence in Salem, ID; dob 5/4/70). – *Chad Guy Daybell (53/now 55) arrested (6/9/20) & indicted (5/25/21) & charged (5/26/21) & arraigned (6/9/21) with Count 1 (for Tylee): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception (for Daybell, Vallow & Alex Cox) & other co-conspirators. Count 2 (for Tylee): 1st degree murder. Count 3 (for JJ): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception. Count 4 (for JJ): 1st degree murder. Count 5 (for Tammy, 49, died 10/19/19): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder. Count 6 (for Tammy): 1st degree murder. Count 8 & 9: Insurance Fraud (Two counts of insurance fraud related to 2 different life insurance policies he had on Tammy). Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP. (Judge denied removing DP 3/14/24). Fremont County
Trial began on 4/1/24 with final jury selection & ended on 4/8/24. Jurors: 12 jurors & 6 alternates. [10 men & 8 women]. Jury will be sequestered during deliberations in the guilt phase thru the penalty phase.
Trial began on 4/10/24. (approx. 8 weeks) Court hours are 8:30am to 3pm Monday-Friday. Trial is being held in Ada County.
Judge Steven W. Boyce presiding. Prosecutors: Fremont County Prosecuting Attorney Lindsey Blake, Madison County Prosecuting Attorney Rob Wood, Special Attorney General Prosecutor Ingrid Batey & Fremont County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Rocky Wixom & defense attorney John Prior.

Court info from 6/10/20 thru 3/29/24 & Jury Selection Day 1-6 (4/1-4/6/24) & thru 4/9/24 & Trial Day 1-10 (4/10-4/24/24) reference post #979 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tylee-ryan-and-tammy-daybell-2.710166/page-49

4/25/24 Thursday, Trial Day 11: *Judge Boyce will hear oral arguments regarding a trio of motions filed before ruling. The motions are in regards to testimonies the State would like to be admitted despite late disclosure.
*One of the items the State would like to introduce is a statement Tammy made to one of her co-workers regarding Chad wanting her to up her life insurance policy. Defense (Prior) argued that the new testimony is hearsay. Boyce rules that statement will not be allowed — saying it represents hearsay. Denial is without prejudice, meaning it could be revisited to impeach defense arguments.
*Second statement, in which Tammy told a co-worker Chad called her a zombie, now being discussed. Boyce says he finds no case law supporting the second statement’s admission. He will deny that as well. Again, denied without prejudice.
*Final motion: Tammy told a co-worker she felt the best she has “ever felt in (her) life.” Boyce says there is case law supporting this statement’s admission. Boyce will allow that statement as evidence.
*State witnesses: Detective Vincent Kaaiakamanu was a detective at the time of the case. He was with Fremont County Sheriff’s Office. Back on stand. Spencer Cook, Sugar Salem School District technology director.
For more info on direct see post #202 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tylee-ryan-and-tammy-daybell-2.710166/page-11
Trial continues on Friday, 4/26/24.

I wonder if "Tammy's" google searches that night were actually CD pulling them up (or telling her to pull them up) on her computer, trying to convince her that it was a paintball / airsoft gun. (See, honey, it looked like that, didn't it?) Gaslighting.
I shouldn't think he called her "honey" - since he was cruel enough to call her a zombie. :(

My guess is that Tammy did, in fact, read the message. I found the following list of reasons women often choose to stay with a cheating husband:

Here are the sad but common reasons why some women still hold on –
1. They are still in love
You could give him another chance because you still have feelings for him. And, because of love, one can forgive a cheating husband, not just once but many times more.

2. They are naïve
There’s a big difference between trusting your spouse and being gullible to his excuses. You can believe the lame excuses he would use to regain your trust again. This might be why some people would be okay with staying with a cheater.

3. Because of the children
Some women would still accept their cheating husbands, even if they don’t trust them anymore, and this is just because of the children. A mother, after all, would do everything for her children, even if it meant she had to sacrifice her pride and self-worth.

4. Because they won’t be able to survive alone
He’s a cheater but a good father and provider. This is one of the reasons that many women still hold on to their cheating husbands. They know that being a single parent will be harder for them and their children. There are also cases where the wife has become dependent on her husband.

5. They don’t want to have a broken family
Staying in a marriage, even if your husband has cheated on you many times, is common for those who don’t want to have a broken family. Now, holding on and giving chances is the only way she can prove to her husband that their family is worth keeping.

6. Loneliness
Why do cheating husbands stay married to their wives, or why do women not leave their cheating husbands? When people get married, they vow to be with each other for the rest of their lives. This leads to people centering their life around their partners. When infidelity in a marriage is discovered, one of the reasons why leaving a marriage or a cheating partner can become difficult is because of the fear of loneliness.

7. Finances
Marriages are not just about love; you plan a life and family with someone. One of the reasons why someone might stay with a cheating partner is because separation or divorce can hit their finances, and it might be difficult for them to make ends meet with a single or no income.

8. immigration/ professional status
For people who live in countries different from the ones they originally were in or are tied to a profession that gives them a certain status due to their marriage, it might be difficult for them to walk out of the marriage, even in case of infidelity or cheating.

9. The family does not agree
Sometimes, someone might want to walk out of a marriage, but their family does not agree. While the family’s approval may not be crucial for some people, it can be vital for some.
Religious, spiritual, or other reasons may cause the family not to support a member’s decision for divorce.

10. They believe they can get through it
Leaving a cheating husband is not the easiest thing to do. Some people do not see infidelity as a deal breaker, which might be why a woman still holds on to their cheating husband.

@vislaw that is a very comprehensive list, but misses something that is very much a core belief in patriarchal religions, if the marriage fails, it was the woman's "fault". If a husband cheats on his wife, she has somehow "failed" to be a good partner.

This is, of course, absolutely flawed thinking, but nevertheless a strong belief in many Christian religions.

@vislaw that is a very comprehensive list, but misses something that is very much a core belief in patriarchal religions, if the marriage fails, it was the woman's "fault". If a husband cheats on his wife, she has somehow "failed" to be a good partner.

This is, of course, absolutely flawed thinking, but nevertheless a strong belief in many Christian religions.
Excellent observation. All bets are off with the wacky dynamics of Chad's cult. Charles was obviously causing havoc and Lori's response that Tammy was her friend and would never believe him suggests that its likely Chad and Lori were seriously gaslighting and manipulating poor Tammy.

Yes. If there is a problem in a household, women get blamed for it. The only exception is in breadwinning, where men usually are expected to step up. (Not that women are not expected to participate, too.) But fidelity by both partners, living within means, good behavior by every person in the household, tidy home, community participation, etc., all fall on the mom. Any problems, it's her fault.

Dad always gets a pass.

A lot of religions not only do not mitigate this, but augment it. Sometimes severely. But I don't think it is a religion thing. This attitude exists in very secular homes. It's a male-supremacy thing.

MOO

Agreed, I mentioned something along these lines awhile back. There had to be something that made them all such believers.

Agree -- but this group had a few outstanding characteristics, IMO. These were not hard-charging high achievers who made plans to kill between big deals and tennis dates. Several were vulnerable due to circumstances of family, physical and/ or mental health, financial dependence, etc. All were conditioned to be strong in faith and/ or ideism -- and were open to prophetic visions as presumptive evidence for the importance of continued and even enhanced levels of faith.

They believed in spiritual warfare, and in their own powers to compete in it, despite what some (like myself) regard as almost comic-book level reaches in this regard. And these beliefs were in some ways compensatory -- ZP believing she had a gift of controlling weather despite very limited power IRL; LV's pride in being a world-conquering goddess despite her very limited achievements professionally and personal unhappiness. It was an RPG that became real life.

Once you have faith in a leader -- I hesitate to say "charismatic" -- like CD, and buy into that view of the world as light and dark and in his ability to discern the workings of evil on earth and to devise ways of defeating it, then depersonalizing children and men to the degree they were able to, plus an initially willing accomplice in AC, plus whatever basic coldheartedness helps make a CD or LV, makes it possible to commit murder in the ways they did.

These were monstrous crimes. But they aren't without precedent. Part of me thinks it's the rank ordinariness of CD's followers that makes this seem so horrific and new -- churchy, mostly middle-class, family oriented (hah!), and mostly white. They might help out at a church sale -- and then compare notes on who was light/ dark and marked for murder.

Bog-standard folk, who can do the things they did, then go dance on a beach in Hawaii. And then come home. And find others. Maybe that's the horror.

And even now, many of this crew still believe.

Agree -- but this group had a few outstanding characteristics, IMO. These were not hard-charging high achievers who made plans to kill between big deals and tennis dates. Several were vulnerable due to circumstances of family, physical and/ or mental health, financial dependence, etc. All were conditioned to be strong in faith and/ or ideism -- and were open to prophetic visions as presumptive evidence for the importance of continued and even enhanced levels of faith.

They believed in spiritual warfare, and in their own powers to compete in it, despite what some (like myself) regard as almost comic-book level reaches in this regard. And these beliefs were in some ways compensatory -- ZP believing she had a gift of controlling weather despite very limited power IRL; LV's pride in being a world-conquering goddess despite her very limited achievements professionally and personal unhappiness. It was an RPG that became real life.

Once you have faith in a leader -- I hesitate to say "charismatic" -- like CD, and buy into that view of the world as light and dark and in his ability to discern the workings of evil on earth and to devise ways of defeating it, then depersonalizing children and men to the degree they were able to, plus an initially willing accomplice in AC, plus whatever basic coldheartedness helps make a CD or LV, makes it possible to commit murder in the ways they did.

These were monstrous crimes. But they aren't without precedent. Part of me thinks it's the rank ordinariness of CD's followers that makes this seem so horrific and new -- churchy, mostly middle-class, family oriented (hah!), and mostly white. They might help out at a church sale -- and then compare notes on who was light/ dark and marked for murder.

Bog-standard folk, who can do the things they did, then go dance on a beach in Hawaii. And then come home. And find others. Maybe that's the horror.

And even now, many of this crew still believe.

Really good post!

Is it possible Chad knew/guessed her password and, with the threat from Charles, accessed her school email in order to intercept the message and block him from further communication? Just thinking out loud.
I think it is highly possible that Chad had access to Tammy Daybell's school email account. I'm sure she kept a book with a list of all her login and password information. She just strikes me as that type of organized and efficient librarian type of person. [ETA: I so want to believe this!]

Last edited:
I still don't understand how Tammy was deemed not to have had an attending physician. Hence her death was considered an "unattended death." She was taking two physician-prescribed medications. Apparently, Garth was also "sharing" one of her prescription medications, fluoxetine for depression (fluoxetine, a/k/a "Prozac").

Per Kaitlyn Hart - EID reporting:
Shultz was Daybell’s neighbor until the end of 2015, for a total of nine years. Shultz says he knew Tammy and the Daybell children “very well.” “We were neighbors. We attended the same church together, we had many conversations, worked together both in the funeral industry as well as just basic good neighbors.” Shultz says Chad worked for the Springville and Spanish Fork cemeteries as the sexton, taking care of the cemetery.

Shultz learned from another neighbor that Tammy had died on October 19, 2019. Chad called later and asked if he could help bring Tammy’s body to Springville for funeral services. “I said I’d be honored to.” Chad says the Daybell’s were “A solid rock in our community.

Per Kaitlyn Hart - EID reporting:
Shultz went to Rexburg with Chad’s brother-in-law that Sunday after Tammy’s death. They went directly to Chad and Tammy’s house. Chad, Garth, and Chad’s parents were there. Shultz says he told Chad he was sorry for his loss. Chad told him that Tammy had been experiencing difficulty with breathing, and she went to bed that night. When he woke up, she had passed away. “I believe he found her on the floor, then he called Garth in to help lift his mom into the bed.”

Chad told Shultz that the coroner said Tammy had died from an embolism. Shultz says Chad did not want an autopsy done.

Shultz says he brought booklets about caskets to the Daybell home, and most of the funeral arrangements were done by the time they left the house. “He wanted to have the funeral services as soon as possible.” Chad wanted the funeral to be on Monday possibly, but that was too quick. The funeral was set for Tuesday. Shultz says there is usually a 3-4 day time period between the death and funeral.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theonce-ler