TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. Such a lovely, perfect wedding mere days after Tammy’s death... And how long does it take to plan a wedding anyway? It took me months. For a private local wedding, not a destination one. I hope the prosecution has documentation of all the timing of the preplanning involved beyond the purchase of the malachite rings and wedding clothes. When exactly was this wedding booked? Before the pulmonary embolism? And yes, I would love to see them play that wedding video! Not one trace of sorrow.
taken from LV's trial, discovery list of potential witnesses showed Robert Minicola, Kauai Beach Resorts and Rev Colin Moore, a/k/a Kahu Coco. not sure if they have these individuals for his trial, maybe not because most likely LV did the planning. also on that list was Shawn Derrick, Blue Sky Property.

evidence discovered regarding CD 'planning': CD emailed a realtor stating no kids, no pets. there was another individual, Jeani Martin who was interviewed by the media that CD and LV looked at her home (or room) to rent and CD completed the application. I dont recall if this was brought up in LV's trial.

I wish I could take credit for it, but it was brought up on a recent Mormon Stories podcast episode (#1889) with Lauren Matthias from Hidden True Crime and Megan Connor (LVD's cousin). The host, John Delin, had been asked by Prior to be an expert witness to explain how these beliefs were connected to the LDS church, but he declined. Lauren & Megan mention in response at one point that if the murders were based on CD's own belief system that he made up, then he's guilty bc he was the one calling the shots. If he was just regurgitating teachings of the mainstream LDS church, then the case against CD is weakened, because who was actually calling the shots then? The LDS church? Their president? Joseph Smith? It reduces CD's culpability.

It's a good episode, highly recommended for a broad intro to LDS and fringe/ extremist beliefs. I'm not really a TC podcast person but this crew are highly informative and the guests are very knowledgeable about the case and underpinning influences.

I don't think these crimes were committed because of this specific basket of extreme beliefs. But I also don't think they'd have been committed without them. And Chad drove that train for sure.

Guilty! say I.

Agree. Such a lovely, perfect wedding mere days after Tammy’s death... And how long does it take to plan a wedding anyway? It took me months. For a private local wedding, not a destination one. I hope the prosecution has documentation of all the timing of the preplanning involved beyond the purchase of the malachite rings and wedding clothes. When exactly was this wedding booked? Before the pulmonary embolism? And yes, I would love to see them play that wedding video! Not one trace of sorrow.
It WAS in the works for months, judging by the Amazon search history.

I would like to know when the flights and actual ceremony were booked.

MOO

what was the significance of MelaniB having laid out on her unit's kitchen counter the credit cards and vehicle license for Brandon???? where was she when the search warrant was executed? were these cards active and was it a current vehicle license? when did she leave that unit for good?
Snipped by me…

I didn’t know this detail until this trial - don’t know if that means I missed it or it hadn’t come out before. But here are my thoughts…

1) MP only lived in Rexburg for a month at the time of the search. She moved in on 11/1 or 11/2 (after the deaths of Tylee & JJ & TD in Rexburg) and lived there until she married IP and presumably moved into his apartment when they returned from their Vegas wedding after Thanksgiving. I think they were married on 11/30/2019 and then had to take IP’s kids back home to AZ first so they returned to Rexburg in early December. It’s likely she had to pay the rent thru the end of December and took the remainder of the month to move out of her apartment and into his - which if I recall was just down the street from her apartment complex. So I think she probably had the apartment for two months but only lived there one month - unless she had to keep paying rent for a 6 month or 1 year lease or something but still think she only lived there a month regardless of how many months she had to pay the rent.

2) I don’t think it was revealed whether these were valid cards or license or current ones I suppose I should say…but…keep in mind that MP had only moved into the apartment a month earlier - remember that AC drove the uHaul truck to move her from AZ to Rexburg? I think that was on Halloween night so even if they drove straight thru they would not have arrived in Rexburg until the morning of 11/1. So…I’m going to suggest the license was current and she took it from BB when they divorced and he had to get a new one. I don’t know exactly when their divorce was finalized but it was likely either in Sept or October before she moved to Rexburg. But she was entitled to access the business checking account up to 60 days after the sale of their house which was early Oct 2019 - she was charged with identity theft because she accessed it in March 2020. Anyway, in October 2019 before she moved and in November 2019 when LE found those cc’s on her counter she may have still been entitled to use those accounts as it often takes a few months for divorced couples to separate their finances or she may have been taking a page from LVD’s book and shopping with her former husband’s cc. But see number 4 below for what I really think she was doing with the cc’s.

3) The search of MP’s apartment was a day or two before Thanksgiving which was 11/28/2019. We know this because MP said she was on her way to AZ to spend thanksgiving with IP & his family in AZ when she got a call - she says from Lt Ball telling her that her apt had been broken into but I think he meant that the police had forcefully entered it for the search. I think it would have been the 27th because I think I remember some officer saying it was the day after LVD told them JJ was with MG in AZ.

4) What was the significance of leaving them on the counter? Well this is pure speculation on my part but I don’t think there was any particular significance of leaving them there that day. I think that MP spent much of her alone time in that apartment contemplating how to access BB’s records to find him and the kids as she didn’t know where they went after AC tried to shoot BB. Remember she posted a $10,000 reward for information on BB or the kids in early Nov. Also remember that she went to UT to BB’s parent’s house to try to see her kids about the 2nd week of November and got arrested for trespassing. (AC drove her there.) Then only 5 days after returning to Rexburg she started dating IP and then 5 days later LE does the welfare check on JJ and somewhere in there IP finds out she has no plans for Thanksgiving and is going to be alone since LVD is going with CD & his kids to Knottsberry Farm or Disney or wherever they actually ended up going - maybe both. So IP invites her to go with him to his family in AZ. So I think she just didn’t have time to tidy up before hurriedly packing to go on this trip with IP and just left the cc’s and license on the counter where she had probably been trying to find BB’s current location.

Monday, May 6th:
*Trial continues (Day 17) (@ 8:30am MT) – ID – Joshua Jaxon (JJ) Vallow (7) & Tylee Ashlyn Ryan (16) (JJ last seen Sept. 23, 2019 & Tylee on Sept. 9, 2019, Rexburg; found June 9, 2020 buried in Daybell’s yard in Salem, ID) & Tamara “Tammy” Michelle Douglas Daybell (49) (died on Oct. 19, 2019 at her residence in Salem, ID; dob 5/4/70). – *Chad Guy Daybell (53/now 55) arrested (6/9/20) & indicted (5/25/21) & charged (5/26/21) & arraigned (6/9/21) with Count 1 (for Tylee): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception (for Daybell, Vallow & Alex Cox) & other co-conspirators. Count 2 (for Tylee): 1st degree murder. Count 3 (for JJ): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception. Count 4 (for JJ): 1st degree murder. Count 5 (for Tammy, 49, died 10/19/19): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder. Count 6 (for Tammy): 1st degree murder. Count 8 & 9: Insurance Fraud (Two counts of insurance fraud related to 2 different life insurance policies he had on Tammy). Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP. (Judge denied removing DP 3/14/24). Fremont County
Trial began on 4/1/24 with final jury selection & ended on 4/8/24. Jurors: 12 jurors & 6 alternates. [10 men & 8 women]. 5/2/24: Juror dismissed due to illness. Now: 12 jurors & 5 alternates. [no gender count].
Jury will be sequestered during deliberations in the guilt phase thru the penalty phase.
Trial began on 4/10/24. (approx. 8 weeks) Court hours are 8:30am to 3pm Monday-Friday. Trial is being held in Ada County.
Judge Steven W. Boyce presiding. Prosecutors: Fremont County Prosecuting Attorney Lindsey Blake, Madison County Prosecuting Attorney Rob Wood, Special Attorney General Prosecutor Ingrid Batey & Fremont County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Rocky Wixom & defense attorney John Prior.

Court info from 6/10/20 thru 3/29/24 & Jury Selection Days 1-6 (4/1-4/6/24) & thru 4/9/24 & Trial Days 1-15 (4/10-5/2/24) reference post #4 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...vallow-tylee-ryan-and-tammy-daybell-4.711714/

5/3/24 Friday, Trial Day 16: *State witnesses. Retired Rexburg Police Officer David Stubbs [was a sergeant supervisor in the detective division]. Back on stand for direct & cross exam. FBI Special Agent Steve Daniels. Daniels was part of the Evidence Response Team (ERT) for the FBI. He has worked for the FBI for 26 years. He left the ERT one year ago.
For more info on direct see post #24 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-tylee-ryan-and-tammy-daybell-4.711714/page-2
Trial continues on Monday, 5/6/24.

I believe he claimed it was the result of him pulling the blankets. I didn't think he or anyone claimed that a dead body just rolled onto the floor on its own.
That was one of his stories.

Imagine, he can accidentally flick her body off the bed by rolling in bed and tugging the sheets. While he is lying next to her and creating a huge crater on the bed, even, so gravity would pull towards him further on the bed. Chad is not a little guy.

Then, a few minutes later, he is unable to lift the body without Garth's help.

I wonder what that man did to Garth. Prior (who could be lying about this detail) asserted in phrasing a question that Garth had brought Tammy a McMeal on his way home from work. I think it might be a lie to suggest that Garth was home before Tammy spontaneously died, making murder seem less achievable. Are fast food restaurants in that area open at midnight? But it does seem credible that Garth would say hello to his mother if she were awake when he got in. And it seems possible that a mother would wait up for him often, encouraging him to check in with her before going to bed.

I think it is most likely that Tammy was dead by midnight to one AM. I think it is likely true that Garth saw her dead around this time because Chad's lies seem to build this timeframe into his stories.

In addition. Garth places himself on scene finding his mother dead at nearly the same time as Chad when he tells his version to 911 and 48 hours.

I think somehow, Chad talked Garth into delaying the 911 call, in addition to talking him into moving the body. IIRC, Garth doesn't claim during the call that he just found his mother. Without indicating it was immediately before, he does say he found her "on the ground." Chad may have assumed Garth would not provide that detail, and imply she died in bed. So, Chad built into his various versions strained explanations for how her body got on "the ground."

If my theory is correct, what was Garth thinking all those hours!

Here is my theory. Alex and Chad murder Tammy around midnight. Alex leaves. Chad does whatever Chad does around the house. Garth comes home. Chad had assumed Garth would just go to bed, but he checks to see if Mom is awake to say good night/chat about work/inquire how she's feeling if he were really called and told she was sick. He finds her dead on the ground somewhere. Chad makes up a story about how evil spirits will attack her if he does not watch over her with his priestly powers, and the 911 people will just take her away too soon. Then, in the morning, Chad declares her safe and asks Garth to help him move her to her bed. Chad tells Garth to say they just found her because the government people don't understand about spirits, and will not understand why they were not called sooner. However, Chad forgets to instruct Garth to notmention she was moved. About the first thing Garth mentions is Tammy frozen on the ground. Chad grabs the phone.

Because Garth saw Tammy dead around midnight and saw her on the ground, Chad has to put those details into the stories he tells others.

I would love to hear what narratives Garth told his friends.

MOO

Edited to add: I think she was probably killed in bed, given her relatively uninjured body, but moved off because of the fountain of foam coming from her lungs. Chad was probably hoping it would stop before he had to call 911. He wanted her to be found at peace, not in a frothy, bloody puddle he caused by obstructing her airways.

MOO

Last edited:
One of the sisters from True Crime Squad, (podcast), apparently contacted the company that produced Tylee's necklace, and the company is arranging to produce a pendant in Tylee's memory, with part of the proceeds from any sales being donated to charities to keep children safe. I think I heard this on last Thursday's episode. A glimmer of hope.

I believe he claimed it was the result of him pulling the blankets. I didn't think he or anyone claimed that a dead body just rolled onto the floor on its own.
Well, if he was too weak to pick her up from the floor himself, he definitely couldn't have been strong enough to have flung her off with the sheets while also creating an indentation on the bed with his fat, over 6' body, while sleepily rolling over. That is impossible to believe.

MOO

It's a good episode, highly recommended for a broad intro to LDS and fringe/ extremist beliefs. I'm not really a TC podcast person but this crew are highly informative and the guests are very knowledgeable about the case and underpinning influences.

I don't think these crimes were committed because of this specific basket of extreme beliefs. But I also don't think they'd have been committed without them. And Chad drove that train for sure.

Guilty! say I.
Love your second paragraph here.
The influence is there.
But the murderers invented the road they took.

That was one of his stories.

Imagine, he can accidentally flick her body off the bed by rolling in bed and tugging the sheets. While he is lying next to her and creating a huge crater on the bed, even, so gravity would pull towards him further on the bed. Chad is not a little guy.

Then, a few minutes later, he is unable to lift the body without Garth's help.

I wonder what that man did to Garth. Prior (who could be lying about this detail) asserted in phrasing a question that Garth had brought Tammy a McMeal on his way home from work. I think it might be a lie to suggest that Garth was home before Tammy spontaneously died, making murder seem less achievable. Are fast food restaurants in that area open at midnight? But it does seem credible that Garth would say hello to his mother if she were awake when he got in. And it seems possible that a mother would wait up for him often, encouraging him to check in with her before going to bed.

I think it is most likely that Tammy was dead by midnight to one AM. I think it is likely true that Garth saw her dead around this time because Chad's lies seem to build this timeframe into his stories.

In addition. Garth places himself on scene finding his mother dead at nearly the same time as Chad when he tells his version to 911 and 48 hours.

I think somehow, Chad talked Garth into delaying the 911 call, in addition to talking him into moving the body. IIRC, Garth doesn't claim during the call that he just found his mother. Without indicating it was immediately before, he does say he found her "on the ground." Chad may have assumed Garth would not provide that detail, and imply she died in bed. So, Chad built into his various versions strained explanations for how her body got on "the ground."

If my theory is correct, what was Garth thinking all those hours!

Here is my theory. Alex and Chad murder Tammy around midnight. Alex leaves. Chad does whatever Chad does around the house. Garth comes home. Chad had assumed Garth would just go to bed, but he checks to see if Mom is awake to say good night/chat about work/inquire how she's feeling if he were really called and told she was sick. He finds her dead on the ground somewhere. Chad makes up a story about how evil spirits will attack her if he does not watch over her with his priestly powers, and the 911 people will just take her away too soon. Then, in the morning, Chad declares her safe and asks Garth to help him move her to her bed. Chad tells Garth to say they just found her because the government people don't understand about spirits, and will not understand why they were not called sooner. However, Chad forgets to instruct Garth to notmention she was moved. About the first thing Garth mentions is Tammy frozen on the ground. Chad grabs the phone.

Because Garth saw Tammy dead around midnight and saw her on the ground, Chad has to put those details into the stories he tells others.

I would love to hear what narratives Garth told his friends.

MOO

Edited to add: I think she was probably killed in bed, given her relatively uninjured body, but moved off because of the fountain of foam coming from her lungs. Chad was probably hoping it would stop before he had to call 911. He wanted her to be found at peace, not in a frothy, bloody puddle he caused by obstructing her airways.

MOO
IF Garth is involved in a cover-up, then I agree that it's likely that Chad asked him to delay calling 911. Apart from some wild cult-related justification I don't see why this would be a good idea. If Garth came home soon after Alex left, rigor mortis would have not set in yet. That's even more reason to try to call for help, not knowing when it happened.

Chad claiming that him pulling on the covers made Tammy roll off the bed might have worked if she was lying on the covers, somewhat near the edge of the bed. But Chad told a witness that he woke up when the covers got pulled off of him. That is the opposite of him pulling. He also told other people that Tammy often slept with her legs hanging over the edge of the bed. How did she end up on the floor on her back with legs still on the bed?

Man. It’s creepy to me that Chad’s family went through pets like they were garbage.
Did she specify what pets they were? I’m pretty sure they had ducks and chickens. Farm birds are very hardy yet at the same time can die very easily…it’s weird, but mostly because it can be difficult to treat their injuries and illnesses. Predation is also a problem. We buried every bird that died, whether they were a treasured hen that died of old age, a chick that wasn’t able to hatch in time, or a duck that was mauled by a dog. I'm not sure it's fair to say they went through pets like garbage, but I don't know.

Source: we had chickens for years and for a short period, ducks. Lots of bad things happened despite out best efforts. Somebody actually stole our ducks.
Emma said it as if to 'prove' her father told the truth in that text as if it discounts what LE DID find.
People are really side-eyeing Emma in comments elsewhere lately...not sure what I think.

Snipped by me…

I didn’t know this detail until this trial - don’t know if that means I missed it or it hadn’t come out before. But here are my thoughts…

1) MP only lived in Rexburg for a month at the time of the search. She moved in on 11/1 or 11/2 (after the deaths of Tylee & JJ & TD in Rexburg) and lived there until she married IP and presumably moved into his apartment when they returned from their Vegas wedding after Thanksgiving. I think they were married on 11/30/2019 and then had to take IP’s kids back home to AZ first so they returned to Rexburg in early December. It’s likely she had to pay the rent thru the end of December and took the remainder of the month to move out of her apartment and into his - which if I recall was just down the street from her apartment complex. So I think she probably had the apartment for two months but only lived there one month - unless she had to keep paying rent for a 6 month or 1 year lease or something but still think she only lived there a month regardless of how many months she had to pay the rent.

2) I don’t think it was revealed whether these were valid cards or license or current ones I suppose I should say…but…keep in mind that MP had only moved into the apartment a month earlier - remember that AC drove the uHaul truck to move her from AZ to Rexburg? I think that was on Halloween night so even if they drove straight thru they would not have arrived in Rexburg until the morning of 11/1. So…I’m going to suggest the license was current and she took it from BB when they divorced and he had to get a new one. I don’t know exactly when their divorce was finalized but it was likely either in Sept or October before she moved to Rexburg. But she was entitled to access the business checking account up to 60 days after the sale of their house which was early Oct 2019 - she was charged with identity theft because she accessed it in March 2020. Anyway, in October 2019 before she moved and in November 2019 when LE found those cc’s on her counter she may have still been entitled to use those accounts as it often takes a few months for divorced couples to separate their finances or she may have been taking a page from LVD’s book and shopping with her former husband’s cc. But see number 4 below for what I really think she was doing with the cc’s.

3) The search of MP’s apartment was a day or two before Thanksgiving which was 11/28/2019. We know this because MP said she was on her way to AZ to spend thanksgiving with IP & his family in AZ when she got a call - she says from Lt Ball telling her that her apt had been broken into but I think he meant that the police had forcefully entered it for the search. I think it would have been the 27th because I think I remember some officer saying it was the day after LVD told them JJ was with MG in AZ.

4) What was the significance of leaving them on the counter? Well this is pure speculation on my part but I don’t think there was any particular significance of leaving them there that day. I think that MP spent much of her alone time in that apartment contemplating how to access BB’s records to find him and the kids as she didn’t know where they went after AC tried to shoot BB. Remember she posted a $10,000 reward for information on BB or the kids in early Nov. Also remember that she went to UT to BB’s parent’s house to try to see her kids about the 2nd week of November and got arrested for trespassing. (AC drove her there.) Then only 5 days after returning to Rexburg she started dating IP and then 5 days later LE does the welfare check on JJ and somewhere in there IP finds out she has no plans for Thanksgiving and is going to be alone since LVD is going with CD & his kids to Knottsberry Farm or Disney or wherever they actually ended up going - maybe both. So IP invites her to go with him to his family in AZ. So I think she just didn’t have time to tidy up before hurriedly packing to go on this trip with IP and just left the cc’s and license on the counter where she had probably been trying to find BB’s current location.
Such a great refresher !! Thanks for this.
Painful. But great.
From day one, I have felt Melaniece should be on trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jlop