TX - 10 deceased as a result of crowd surge at Astroworld festival, Houston, 5 Nov 2021

I'm interested to read more reporting on this one. I suspect it will simply come down to too many people allowed into one caged area. Density was too high, and then you only need one person to fall over for the same to happen to lots of people. I've read a few reports on how these crushes happen and it is usually the crush leading to panic rather than panic leading to crush, and usually poor event management.

Sad for the victims and their families.

When I heard this today I was reminded of The Who concert tragedy where 11 died and dozens were injured after being trampled. That happened in Cincinnati in I think 1979. I was a teen and frequently attended concerts then.

Astroworld Concert Live Updates: Crowd Surge Leaves 8 Dead at Travis Scott Show

The concert was attended by 50,000 people, officials said, and investigators said they would examine video from the event to determine what happened.

In one 25-second video posted on Reddit, a young man in a white T-shirt climbs onto a riser from which a cameraman is recording the concert. A person in the crowd yells for the young man to get down. The young man responds: “People are dying,” and adds, “I want to save somebody’s life.”

As the young man seeks help, Mr. Scott can be heard on the stage. The clip ends with the voice of another man saying, “People in the pit will take care of them.”

In another video, this one posted on YouTube,Mr. Scott is onstage and tells the crowd: “I want to see some rages. Who want to rage?” Moments later he says, “There’s an ambulance in the crowd, whoa, whoa, whoa,” apparently trying to calm the commotion.

For several seconds, there is no music at the concert. Mr. Scott looks toward the crowd and around the stage before looking at the crowd again and appearing to ask what is happening. The red and blue lights of an ambulance can be seen amid the sea of people.

Then, Mr. Scott says, “If everybody good, put a middle finger up in the sky.” The video shows the ambulance in the crowd, surrounded by people holding their phones, many with a middle finger extended as instructed.

Then two men who appear to be part of Mr. Scott’s entourage approach him on the stage. He shoos them away and turns to the crowd, asking those present to to put “two hands to the sky.”

Another person tells the crowd, “Two hands up, two hands up.” The video shows the performer raising his hands in the air, with the ambulance visible amid the crowd of fans.

“Y'all know what you came to do,” Mr. Scott says to the crowd. Then as the music resumes, he urges the crowd to make the “ground shake.”

I have worked many events as an EMT and if the number of police and security being reported is accurate it seems low compared to numbers that have been at events I have worked.

Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said over 360 police officers and 241 security officers were stationed at the event Friday.

Pena and Finner said many questions remain and an investigation into the mass fatality event is ongoing.
‘Our hearts are broken’: At least 8 dead, several others injured at Travis Scott’s Astroworld Festival at NRG Park, officials say

The concert was attended by 50,000 people, officials said, and investigators said they would examine video from the event to determine what happened.

In one 25-second video posted on Reddit, a young man in a white T-shirt climbs onto a riser from which a cameraman is recording the concert. A person in the crowd yells for the young man to get down. The young man responds: “People are dying,” and adds, “I want to save somebody’s life.”

As the young man seeks help, Mr. Scott can be heard on the stage. The clip ends with the voice of another man saying, “People in the pit will take care of them.”

In another video, this one posted on YouTube,Mr. Scott is onstage and tells the crowd: “I want to see some rages. Who want to rage?” Moments later he says, “There’s an ambulance in the crowd, whoa, whoa, whoa,” apparently trying to calm the commotion.

For several seconds, there is no music at the concert. Mr. Scott looks toward the crowd and around the stage before looking at the crowd again and appearing to ask what is happening. The red and blue lights of an ambulance can be seen amid the sea of people.

Then, Mr. Scott says, “If everybody good, put a middle finger up in the sky.” The video shows the ambulance in the crowd, surrounded by people holding their phones, many with a middle finger extended as instructed.

Then two men who appear to be part of Mr. Scott’s entourage approach him on the stage. He shoos them away and turns to the crowd, asking those present to to put “two hands to the sky.”

Another person tells the crowd, “Two hands up, two hands up.” The video shows the performer raising his hands in the air, with the ambulance visible amid the crowd of fans.

“Y'all know what you came to do,” Mr. Scott says to the crowd. Then as the music resumes, he urges the crowd to make the “ground shake.”
What about stopping the music and quit telling the crowd to shake the ground which isn’t helping the police/medics get to the injured people?
I guess the show must go on no matter what.

I hope he is charged with something.

There should have been no more music and people told to move away.

I had read he had encouraged this crowd surge behaviour before in other concerts.

His famous GF was also posting video of the events. Disgusting.

Last edited:
'It was like watching a Jenga tower topple:' At least 8 dead at Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival

“Thousands of fans stormed the entrance gates around 2 p.m., bypassing security and metal detectors. Some were detained by security and mounted HPD officers, but no serious injuries were reported. It was similar to the start of the 2019 event.”

So it had happened previously, they ignored that fact and lost control again this year.

“It happened all at once," Executive Assistant Chief Larry Satterwhite said. "It seemed like it happened over the course of just a few minutes."

It started at 2pm when the crowd got out of control before the concert even started. Lost control of the situation at that point. Shut it down and regain control, cancel the evening show and bring in more help and send a message to the fans that it will be shut down and no tickets refunded if this continues.
JMO

Last edited:
There was chaos before the show even started, some people broke through security lines and rushed in.

This is from Facebook but msm news page. Obviously the chaos later is dominating the news.

my neighbor is Harris County Sheriff and he worked the event. He’s okay according to his wife.
I’m glad to hear your neighbor is okay.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/astroworld-deaths-music-festival-houston-1.6239810
''Officials transported 17 people to hospitals, including 11 who were in cardiac arrest, Peña said. It wasn't clear whether all eight who died were among the 17 who had been transported to hospitals. Many people were also treated at the scene at NRG Park, where a field hospital had been set up. About 300 people were examined at that site throughout the day, he said.

Astroworld is a two-day music festival that was scheduled to take place Friday and Saturday in Houston. The event was sold out, according to the Astroworld website. Drake was among the performers on Friday. Saturday's performances have been cancelled.

Event promoters had arranged for medical units to be on scene at the festival, but once the crowd surge began, those units were "quickly overwhelmed," Peña said.''

Last edited:

Wow. Not ok at all IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back