TX - Autistic boy, 8, throws twin sisters down stairs, killing one

OH, never. Another state maybe but never another planet. :rolleyes:

One thing to consider...the Internet and the 24 hour media publicizes so many things now. Think of how many "accidents" perhaps occurred in previous years that a kinder, wiser doctor, sheriff, or other person understood was not perhaps an accident...but a tragic incident from a child who didn't fully understand the consequences of his/her actions.

Excellent point!!

I wonder why things like this get into the media anyways.
When its a child .... there was a time that it was kept private now its for all the world to see.

OH, never. Another state maybe but never another planet. :rolleyes:

One thing to consider...the Internet and the 24 hour media publicizes so many things now. Think of how many "accidents" perhaps occurred in previous years that a kinder, wiser doctor, sheriff, or other person understood was not perhaps an accident...but a tragic incident from a child who didn't fully understand the consequences of his/her actions.

Yes, this is a terrific point. I do believe the hullabaloo will die down soon enough because of the age of everyone involved. With all the funky laws and loopholes out there, I am glad the judicial system is wise enough to understand that this 8 year old is not a criminal.

I have one of those security monitors with audio. We can see outside in the driveway and down the hall while listening for the kids. Does anyone know if this type of monitor can be picked up and heard by others the same as baby monitors??

I have one of those security monitors with audio. We can see outside in the driveway and down the hall while listening for the kids. Does anyone know if this type of monitor can be picked up and heard by others the same as baby monitors??

Thanks J2!!

txsvicki ... what you described is a closed circuit video system I believe..
Is it wireless?
I believe its the wireless aspect that creates the interference with the baby monitors ... I think it was glow who had the X who she caught on the phone??
I would bet it was a cordless phone.

Thanks J2!!

txsvicki ... what you described is a closed circuit video system I believe..
Is it wireless?
I believe its the wireless aspect that creates the interference with the baby monitors ... I think it was glow who had the X who she caught on the phone??
I would bet it was a cordless phone.
Actually it was me who caught the ex on the phone....and yes it WAS a cordless phone, I will never know WHAT made me pick up the phone that morning...both my ex and I were used to getting up early, him for work, and me for school (i was in my senior yr when I had my baby) but I still stayed in school...SO glad to be rid of him, but ladies, if you EVER hear a strange noise on the monitor you DON'T recognize try your phone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Nova... it should be noted that it was not one reporter nor one article it was EVERY article about this tragedy.
What kind of country do we live in where we think its ok to prosecute children?
Keep in mind as a parent if I yelled at my child or spanked them (NOT beat them but a swat on their hiney) I could be infestigated by DCF and potentially my child could go to a foster home but the state could take my child prosecute them and put them in jail??
Lets be totally honest Juvinille hall only exposes kids to those who have been molested and abused much like that of many foster homes..
The child comes back with more issues then they left with.
This is just a topic that totally hits a nerve with me so I apologize for ranting.

BobbisAngel.. I agree if the child had done this before they should have a safety set up (even if he hadn't!)
But all the articles state that they litterally moved in that day (well the day before the early morning hours this happend) so it is very possible that they had not unpacked the baby monitor yet (for that matter they may not have even known what box it was in) They did not have time to put alarms on the doors.
I have moved with 4 children 1 being disabled. I cannot imagine moving to a knew state with 5 children, 2 of them being infants and at least 1 we know is disabled. The drive alone must have been brutal!
Imagine driving from FL to Texas with those children and having to then unpack even just the very bare necceseties!
Come to think of it .... it is very possible that the parents did not put the babies to sleep in their cribs ... with all those children to care for while unpacking after that drive I could see someone using the playpens or portacribs which would have made it easier for the 8 YO to take them out of.
At 9 months old and being twins (usually smaller or preemies) they probably could not climb out but he could certainly climb in and take them out and probably just was doing what everyone else did when the babies cried ... taking them out of their crib or bringing them to mom and dad.
I bet the 11 and 14 YO did that often to help out.

Agree totally. You know, I wonder what the little boy was thinking when he did what he did. Did he think that he was helping the babies get downstairs faster? I can't see a child with his disabilities thinking "I'm going to throw my little sisters down the big stairs and kill them." Maybe he did think that he was helping. I wonder if he even has the capability to understand what ended up happening to them. I don't think even normal children have the capacity to understand death...eternity...forever...dead. At times it is hard for me to understand "forever." This is just one terrible accident that is heart breaking.

Sorry WhiteRain and Glow!!!

It was glow who told the other baby monitor story! (that is why I confused it)

Bobbisangel,
Autistic children (and adults) think differently then we do.. They process information and sites sounds and sensory input differently than the rest of us.
They also mimic behavoir. So I could see him mimicking and "thinking" he was doing just what everyone else in the house does with the babies..

It is also possible that is just trying to hold a 9 month old who wiggles he dropped her accidently.

This is a terrible tragedy and my heart goes out to these parents. Imagine moving into a new home and already have to face the burial of your baby before you've even unpacked. I feel for that family and the haunted memory they'll have of those stairs that ended their baby girl's life. I read somewhere here that it's presumed that the 8 yr old heard the baby cry and got up and if the parents had only had a baby monitor on, this might not have happened. From what I read, the parents were awakened to one baby crying. I'm just wondering if this 8 yr old quietly picked each baby up as she was sleeping. A monitor might not have picked up anything if he snuck in their quietly, or the parents might have been in too deep of a sleep to hear him pick a baby up. Maybe the first baby he tossed was the one that died and she never had a chance to cry. He then went back for the other one and she's the one the parents heard? We don't know how severe this 8 yr old's autism is, but I'm sure the parents were exhausted from traveling and thought the children too were and that everyone would sleep through the night. We'll probably never know why this 8 yr old tossed his sisters down the stairs, he may not even know why he did.

Maybe the little boy forgot there were stairs and wobbled while he was carrying both of the babies at once, just barely saving himself from a fall as well? They just moved in, doesn't matter who he or how old he is or how his mind works, anyone could easily forget the layout of a brand new house.

Add a good wobble there at the top of stairs you weren't expecting to see, and I can very much imagine whatever a person is carrying being "thrown" down the stairs from the quick move to let go and grab the nearest thing so you don't fall type movement.

Maybe the family almost lost a third child in the process without even realizing it? It's all very sad =( Sending up prayers for that family.

Now I remember why I don't visit this site everyday. Getting depressed just thinking about this story.

Maybe the little boy forgot there were stairs and wobbled while he was carrying both of the babies at once, just barely saving himself from a fall as well? They just moved in, doesn't matter who he or how old he is or how his mind works, anyone could easily forget the layout of a brand new house.

Add a good wobble there at the top of stairs you weren't expecting to see, and I can very much imagine whatever a person is carrying being "thrown" down the stairs from the quick move to let go and grab the nearest thing so you don't fall type movement.

Maybe the family almost lost a third child in the process without even realizing it? It's all very sad =( Sending up prayers for that family.

Exactly what I was thinking!!!
Imagine he is trying to hold BOTH wiggly 9 month olds and gets to the stairs??
I am sure he has seen mom or dad or his older 14 YO sybling hold both babies at once before... Even ONE 9 month old is a lot for an 8 year old to handle.

Thanks Sweetie!! (Mostly for reading my long tirade!!)

Nova When I saw the typo in your post the JR conversation was the first thing I thought of LOLOL

And what is this about Palm Springs??? How come noone told me????

It's something IrishMist arranged. Apparently, she is holding the wedding of Ariel and Dark Knight at my house. Of course, you are invited. There was never any question of that.

Good point, Texana, and I am sure you are right: incidents like this were once handled privately between parents and doctors and maybe an understanding police chief. Of course, many incidents of infanticide and sexual abuse were "handled" the same way, so I don't know if secrecy was such a good thing.

But I agree this isn't a case that needs to be dissected on Great VS (ETA: Greta Van Susteren and I don't know what has happened to my typing).

It's something IrishMist arranged. Apparently, she is holding the wedding of Ariel and Dark Knight at my house. Of course, you are invited. There was never any question of that.

Thanks!!
UMMM DO Ariel and DK know of this wedding?? LOLOL

Exactly what I was thinking!!!
Imagine he is trying to hold BOTH wiggly 9 month olds and gets to the stairs??
I am sure he has seen mom or dad or his older 14 YO sybling hold both babies at once before... Even ONE 9 month old is a lot for an 8 year old to handle.

I wonder if he often tried to carry the twins around or was always trying to pick them up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palenp
Back