GUILTY TX - Belinda Temple, 30, pregnant, Katy, 11 Jan 1999 *Guilty again in 2023*

24 years later, justice for Belinda and Erin!

4/21/23

On Friday, jurors spent about two hours deliberating before sentencing David Temple to life in prison. He remained stoic as the judge read their decision.

"He's more resigned to it than anybody else," defense attorney Stanley Schneider said. "He's calmer than all the people care about him."
Finally

4/21/23

After just two hours of deliberation, a Harris County jury Friday sentenced former Alief ISD football coach David Temple to life in prison for murdering his pregnant wife while carrying on a romantic affair, capping a 24-year legal saga that included two convictions and a deadlocked jury.

Relatives of the beloved school teacher, Belinda Temple, wiped away tears as her twin sister stepped up to the witness stand once more to confront her former brother-in-law.

"I will never understand why you killed Belinda," Brenda Lucas said in a victim impact statement. "David, you could have gotten divorced."

[..]

Jurors considered a range of punishments for Temple, including probation, but a life sentence was the most serious option available. Temple will be eligible for parole in 17 years, when he is 71.

The brief deliberations were a stark contrast to the 19 hours of debate over Temple's fate in 2019 that led to Judge Kelli Johnson to declare a mistrial and start the process over.

[..]

Prosecutor Lisa Tanner expressed sympathy for the younger Temple.

“Who put us in the situation where Evan is the one who suffered? He did,” Tanner said, referring to the defendant.

The son testified he did not have first-hand memories of his mother and only knew what others told him. He said his maternal family never made an effort to be in his life, a statement the Lucas family disputed.

[..]

The prosecutors met with the jurors after the trial, and their laughter in the jury room could often be heard from the courtroom.

Tanner welcomed the end of the trial and noted that they handled the case with care to avoid possible misconduct, which is what led to the second trial

[..]

Schneider, despite his disappointment in the jury’s decision, said he was ready to try again. Temple requested Schneider to continue being his attorney as his case proceeds with the appellate process.

“Hopefully we’ll pick a fourth jury in about two years,” he said, rattling off possible appeal strategies.

The sentencing became a reunion of sorts for people tied to Temple's past trials.

[..]

Siegler greeted retired prosecutor, Ted Wilson, who was among the prosecutors initially tasked with the Temple case. Both sat among the observers during the closing arguments.

The son testified he did not have first-hand memories of his mother and only knew what others told him. He said his maternal family never made an effort to be in his life, a statement the Lucas family disputed.
^^rsbm

This made me weep, and I'm glad Belinda's parents are no longer around to hear those words.

Can't forget that after the murders, it was still 5 years of freedom before David was indicted. And it was another 3 years after that before he was convicted. Nope. David made certain that Belinda's son would not have a relationship with his maternal family.

I'll always remember their anguish over their grandson during the earlier trials. MOO

^^rsbm

This made me weep, and I'm glad Belinda's parents are no longer around to hear those words.

Can't forget that after the murders, it was still 5 years of freedom before David was indicted. And it was another 3 years after that before he was convicted. Nope. David made certain that Belinda's son would not have a relationship with his maternal family.

I'll always remember their anguish over their grandson during the earlier trials. MOO

We take their sad stories with us. These are powerful words: "You could have gotten divorced".

"I will never understand why you killed Belinda," Brenda Lucas said in a victim impact statement. "David, you could have gotten divorced."

KRPC 2/ CLICK2 HOUSTON: Killer Coach | The Evidence Room, Episode 27​

10/25/23 -- We’re taking you inside the case of David Temple, the former Alief Hastings high school football coach sentenced to life in prison for shooting and killing his pregnant wife, Belinda. From crime scene photos to an emotional interview with the lead detective on the case, we’ll explore a husband’s betrayal that ultimately ended the lives of his wife and unborn daughter. Catch up on the true crime docuseries

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crybaby6
Back