TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be someone that was jealous of Elizabeth but never showed any outward signs. Inside they were seething.

Elizabeth and Sergio seemed very involved with the Stars Wars cosplay. They had great costumes, went to many events and were on the command staff at the Star Garrison of the 501st Legion.

Looking at Elizabeth's FB page, the first picture regarding Star Wars cosplay is in 2017.

Perhaps a long time member resented Elizabeth.

If it is a cosplay member, I really agree with this post from @Cryptic from the first thread.

Again, profile has negative connotation, but a screening would need to start with some individuals and not others as one needs to start somewhere. Barring any other indicators with specific individuals, perhaps initially screen cosplay participants for somebody who has some of the following characteristics:

Social media shows limited, or no other interests besides cosplay: Increased chance of cosplay being focus of life outside work. Potentially increases importance of status, esteem derived from cosplay world.

Limited income: Pricier cosplay gear favored by established groups represents a real sacrifice. Convention hotels room, meals out etc. also represent more of an investment. If investment does not Pay” in regards to friendships, status etc. bigger sense of loss. Limited income also means less funding for other interests and could indicate less esteem being derived from work.

Romantically unattached, or significant other also heavily into cosplay: No significant other means less interests beyond cosplay. Significant other in cosplay and heavily involved could lead to possible dispute impacting relationship with that person. Thus, disputes might magnify.

No children: Fewer distractions from cosplay interest. Fewer areas for fulfillment other than cosplay.

Interest in cosplay after negative life event: Greater chance of such an individual feeling that cosplay represents their chance to start over. Thus, greater emotional investment.

TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

I’m so sad that it’s been a year and it hasn’t been solved. This was personal, it wasn’t done by a professional. It should have been solved already.
I posted this case a year ago and never thought it would be unsolved at this point. Initially I agreed with you it was personal, but I now believe it had to be a hired hit. I knew the victim personally and I don’t believe she knew the killer based on body language. Also there’s been a lot of rumors of the killer handing her a note.
Prior to the detective saying, I had heard the truck was in the neighborhood waiting for her husband to leave, and it circled after the shooting to confirm she didn’t get up. The truck being in the neighborhood the evening before was new info.

I’m so sad that it’s been a year and it hasn’t been solved. This was personal, it wasn’t done by a professional. It should have been solved already.
I posted this case a year ago and never thought it would be unsolved at this point. Initially I agreed with you it was personal, but I now believe it had to be a hired hit. I knew the victim personally and I don’t believe she knew the killer based on body language. Also there’s been a lot of rumors of the killer handing her a note.
Prior to the detective saying, I had heard the truck was in the neighborhood waiting for her husband to leave, and it circled after the shooting to confirm she didn’t get up. The truck being in the neighborhood the evening before was new info.

It could be someone that was jealous of Elizabeth but never showed any outward signs. Inside they were seething.

Elizabeth and Sergio seemed very involved with the Stars Wars cosplay. They had great costumes, went to many events and were on the command staff at the Star Garrison of the 501st Legion.

Looking at Elizabeth's FB page, the first picture regarding Star Wars cosplay is in 2017.

Perhaps a long time member resented Elizabeth.

If it is a cosplay member, I really agree with this post from @Cryptic from the first thread.

TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

My SWAG is that she did not know him (I think it's a guy based on his straight-arm kill shot, and manner of running off) but he knew her from the Star Wars/Cosplay community and, as @Angelo suggested, he had a seething resentment for some reason. Maybe it was against Liz, or maybe Sergio. But my guess is that this nutter played out some sort of sick cosplay fantasy as revenge. I also am very surprised that this has not been solved.

My SWAG is that she did not know him (I think it's a guy based on his straight-arm kill shot, and manner of running off) but he knew her from the Star Wars/Cosplay community and, as @Angelo suggested, he had a seething resentment for some reason. Maybe it was against Liz, or maybe Sergio. But my guess is that this nutter played out some sort of sick cosplay fantasy as revenge. I also am very surprised that this has not been solved.
I agree it definitely has to do with cosplay community, maybe indirectly, since they volunteered in the community.

I still find it amazing that LE has video - AND the public has seen the video - and there is no arrest. Such technology was not available 25-30 years ago. We have it now and yet it isn't always the magic bullet. Other cases like the Delphi murders, Missy Bevers and the Jennifer Kesse case have video and are currently unsolved. And another amazing point - we see this video and those of us on here are not in complete agreement if the killer is a man or woman.

I still find it amazing that LE has video - AND the public has seen the video - and there is no arrest. Such technology was not available 25-30 years ago. We have it now and yet it isn't always the magic bullet. Other cases like the Delphi murders, Missy Bevers and the Jennifer Kesse case have video and are currently unsolved. And another amazing point - we see this video and those of us on here are not in complete agreement if the killer is a man or woman.

I so agree! Peggy McGuire has a grainy photo/video of the person walking away from her parked truck. Wesley Stillsmoking has an image from a game camera, but hasn't been found (I personally don't think foul play here). Kierra Coles was seen walking from her apartment (although I don't think it was her, I think someone acting as her). Tyler Davis was walking around his hotel, but yet isn't captured on camera anywhere else after that despite being a ton of businesses around. It is unbelievable that people can still get away with so many crimes despite all of the technology we have (cameras, phones, GPS). It makes me so sad (and scared). It is so much harder to cover your tracks now, but somehow killers still seem to kill and get away with it.

If it was a hit, why did the killer stop to talk to her first? That seems personal. Maybe it was someone she knew, but she didn’t recognize him(?) immediately, due to the disguise and the suddenness of the encounter.
I feel like the last shot, which was a shot in the mouth, shows how personal this was. Hits don’t happen like that. 1 clear shot in the head and that’s it. This was 4 or 5 shots, including 1 in the mouth. This person knew Liz.

It is bizarre that this case remains unsolved with video footage. I was thinking the brief conversation may have been the shooter asking, "are you Elizabeth Barraza?" to verify her identity before killing her. The video footage is shocking to watch, and I agree this appears to be more along the lines of a professional hit (perhaps someone with a military or law enforcement background) or someone who does a lot of first-person shooter games because they used the "Mozambique Drill" when they shot Elizabeth. The "Mozambique Drill" aka "Failure to Stop drill" is "two to the body, one to the head" according to Wikipedia. It may have been a man dressed as a woman...at least that's my initial impression.

I feel like the last shot, which was a shot in the mouth, shows how personal this was. Hits don’t happen like that. 1 clear shot in the head and that’s it. This was 4 or 5 shots, including 1 in the mouth. This person knew Liz.
it’s in the video. She is shot 3 or 4 times and falls to the ground. The shooter stands over her and shoots her one more time in the face. Then runs away.

I believe that Scriabina was asking you for the source that supports your previous statement that EB was shot "in the mouth."

It does seem like Liz recognized the person when they got up close. Or else she thought it was a woman and realized it was a man. (I'm not saying it was either one because that hasn't been determined as far as I know.)

But maybe the hitman was chosen because they have no connection to Liz whatsoever. The garage sale was Liz's yearly tradition. I think this was planned for more than a year. Just one theory. I really want to see this case get solved and it's so disappointing that it hasn't been solved yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member