GUILTY TX - Jennifer Cave, 21, brutally murdered, Austin, 16 Aug 2005

I thank God for victims of crime, that they are willing to fight for laws that protect others from what their loved ones experienced. The Klass, Runion, Walsh families and more are my true heros!

So the 48 Hours episode about this case hasn't been available online for some time, at least not that I could find. And it hasn't re-aired, either. I've never actually seen it yet. But, I was looking for another episode of 48 hours and found that this one is scheduled to air on the morning of Sunday, January 8, 2012, on the ID channel, which I think means Investigative Discovery or something like that. My DVR is set and I'll be using the intervening time to brace myself for Laura Hall's cold, dead eyes.

While I'm on a posting spree today, I thought I'd add something. The sentencing do-over stemmed from a cab driver's testimony, but inability to pick Laura Hall out of a photo lineup (IIRC). I've noticed that she looks vastly different in various photos and court appearances. She has that odd quality of being able to change her hair, makeup, and maybe weight and look very very different. Casey Anthony and Karla Homolka have that quality, too, IMO, which I suspect has been helpful in both of their lives on the outside (although Casey has a lot more help than that grr :banghead::banghead::banghead: and Karla still has to have those half-lidded, dead eyes). There were no cameras in Karla's trial, and the court drawings of her are just awful and don't look like her at all.

Anyway, Laura Hall just comes across as a wholly vile human being. I hope she does end up committing another crime in prison and never gets out. I mean, I don't hope violence upon anybody, of course, but Id rather she just never gets out. 2018 seems much too soon. I understand the limitations of sentencing limits, etc., and that she did get the max. for what she was convicted of, but she is definitely a threat to society.

I did see a preview of the 48 Hours, and it seemed like she was relishing in saying "I've been accused of unspeakable things." Bad acting and relishing in the attention--even if that attention is really just gruesome disgust and horror.

Watched the 48 Hours episode. It was very interesting that instead of showing interview footage of Laura Ashley Hall, it had a lot of footage of her alone in a dark room talking to the camera, saying stupid self-serving, unconvincing and obvious lies in a sort of...sound-bite fashion.

It's almost as if no one could stand being in the room with her to even interview her. Imagine that!

I'd love if one of the newspapers down in Austin did an update piece on how Colin and Laura are faring in prison.

I remember this case. Laura Hall is a real psychopath.

I'm no expert, but when I think of the word "sociopath," Laura Hall comes mind. Whatever her true involvement in the murder and dismemberment of the victim, she has no remorse - because she is not capable of any. She can say the words, but they are hollow and devoid of feeling. One day she will get out of prison. We know she has threatened several people already. I pity any unsuspecting people who meet her after her release. She is capable of almost anything.

I caught the 48 hours episode twice yesterday. Wow, I can say is Laura is a completely self absorbed, unusual person who thinks the whole world should be her way. She came across as very callous, very manipulative and very unwilling to ever be repentant or even see her self at fault for anything.

She was arrogant and aggressive towards the victim's family. She directed hate, threats, insults and other completely out of line behaviors that she has no sympathy for anyone in this case except for herself. He comments were always along the lines of poor me, how dare they do this to me, you can't do this to me, they are ruining my life, etc.

She feels she deserves more sympathy than the victim. Never mind the victim was killed and mutilated, to her that is NOT as much of an injustice as the fact that Laura didn't get her way. Oh poor her.

I laugh at the fact that she got out of the 5 year sentence and then received a worse one. I was delighted that she was so outraged and angered and unhappy over her own fate. She was finally held responsible for the consequences of her actions. Sounds like it may have a first for her but it won't be the last.

Hopefully she will continue to act this way in jail and accrue more charges for her behavior and get more time. I shudder to think what will happen if she ever gets out.

I thought it was interesting how she said she hadn't "processed" things that had happened. I forget what exactly she hadn't "processed" but it was in terms of what she did wrong, how she is responsible, what she did wrong, how another person was killed and she has no empathy, remorse or any feelings other than she is the victim.

I don;t think she will ever "process" it. To process something like that requires a heart, a conscience, empathy, remorse, acknowledging that she did wrong and deserves to be punished or other human emotions. She is completely lacking in those qualities. She will never process it and feel that she was wrong or that she is NOT the victim in this.

I hope she enjoys her "colton" tattoo. May it always be a reminder of what she did and why she is in jail.

I doubt we have heard the last of her.

I am just going to have to go on the word of my fellow WSers that the interview she gives is a picture of her soul. I do not want to waste one minute listening to a convicted murderer complain about her lot in life. I trust my buds here to give me an accurate impression of what kind of person she is. Ugh.

I am just going to have to go on the word of my fellow WSers that the interview she gives is a picture of her soul. I do not want to waste one minute listening to a convicted murderer complain about her lot in life. I trust my buds here to give me an accurate impression of what kind of person she is. Ugh.

She seriously comes off looking and sounding like she has no remorse. It was rather stunning to watch. It was like watching a psychopath or sociopath in action. She cannot see anything beyond her own wants and needs.

For instance, she made a comment about going after the jurors because she blamed them for her guilt verdict and sentence and felt they were messing with HER life (paraphrasing all of that). She was more upset about HER life being disrupted the fact that a human died and a horrific things were done.

It was good to read the recent posts on this case which re-kindles my interest in Laura Hall's sentencing. Earlier today, I watched a few YouTube videos of the 2nd sentencing trial news coverage. Apparently the acorn didn't fall far from the tree in her case. On a recorded jail house phone call to her Grandmother, Laura is bitterly complaining about the victim's Mother. She calls her a stripper and trash! And she says "she's going down, she's going down!" All the while, her Grandmother is agreeing with everything she says. She is heard saying "that's right" several times. Laura knows, and probably Grandma, that all prisoner phone calls are recorded. Yet, they both have the mistaken belief that Laura is the true victim here. There were 19 jail house recordings and the jury heard them all, I believe. After the trial was over, a juror was interviewed and he said it was the recorded phone calls that convinced them of her true character and that she is a dangerous individual. It was reported also that she can be considered for parole after serving 25% of her sentence. The victim's Mother said she and her husband will attend every parole hearing and fight to keep Laura locked up as long as possible.

I have the feeling that Laura herself will be the reason that she doesn't get parole. She refuses to even consider that she did anything wrong. Parole boards want to see that you have taken responsibility and have changed. I don;t think she can. She doesn't have the capacity. All she can do is fake it and she hasn't even bothered to do that yet.

She is still too busy feeling that she was done wrong, not that she has done wrong. KWIM? She is lashing out at anyone she feels has done her wrong. She is the type who spends her time in prison thinking about who she is going to go after next. Her parents should be scared. She is type to plan to kill her parents to get to their money.

I guess the grandma has spent a lifetime covering for Laura. I heard some of it on the show. I'm sure there is a lot more where that came from.

I can't believe so many don't remember this case all though If i had read just her name Laura Hall even Jennifer cave I don't think I woulda recognized it. It's His name Colton Pitoneyak that when you see it and read it that you instantly are like ohh ok now i remember...Sad though that it's his name we remember should be Jennifer's

Pitonyak has been granted a new hearing to determine if he gets another trial.

ONCE AGAIN, we have a case in Texas of a prosecutor who withheld evidence from the defense.

I think this hearing was granted because the Michael Morton case fallout - a man who's been in prison for decades for his wife's murder (which he did not commit) and the apparent true murderer is now on trial and it's shaking up the court system a bit about malicious prosecution and withholding of evidence. Texas now has a proposed law where before a DA can ask for the death penalty, any DNA evidence in a case must be tested. Can you believe that would have to be a LAW? ???

Anyway, the article about Pitonyak. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn that Laura Hall killed Jennifer.

http://www.kvue.com/home/Court-gran...-and-dismembering-a-UT-student-199036761.html

I am still confused by the lack of visible motive in this case. Did the two girls know each other? If so, how? How did Colton and Jennifer know each other? And for how long?

I am still confused by the lack of visible motive in this case. Did the two girls know each other? If so, how? How did Colton and Jennifer know each other? And for how long?

According to earlier news reports, they were kind of in a love triangle. From what I understand, it was a bit of a lopsided triangle in that Jennifer and Colton were in a relationship and Laura was a crazed loony and still is. I think despite the drugs and alcohol and off-track lifestyle, Jennifer Cave was a woman with some substance and it's a loss that she's gone too soon.

I still don't know how Laura Hall can be so incredibly hateful and bizarre but look so normal. :(

The motive was Jennifer was not going to be Colton's friend anymore and be his drug buddy anymore. That she was done with him once and for all....... But the one last time he reached out to her, she fell hook, line and sinker.

IIRC, Laura knew of Jennifer, But I'm not sure if they actually knew one another like you would a friend.

I believe they were connected by drugs, so that is what threw them together.

They never were a couple/dating etc. So It seems they were only friends who did drugs together.

I just finished the only book I could find on the case, written by Kathryn Casey. Jennifer looked at Colton only as a friend but many people say Colton was in love with her and even obsessed with her. Jennifer did, however, seem to spend a great deal of time doing methamphetamine and cocaine with him, seemingly because he sold it and as long as Colton had Jennifer around, he didn't seem to mind footing the bill. But in the weeks leading up to her murder, Jennifer was taking steps to turn her life around and distance herself from both Colton and the drugs.

With Jennifer not being around as often, Colton found a bed partner and drug buddy in Laura Hall. Laura, on the other hand, found the love of her life in Colton. Friends of both said that Colton treated his dog better than Laura and made it clear to her that he was in love with Jennifer Cave. This made Laura despise Jen even though she didn't know her.

IMO, when Colton called Laura after he killed Jen (I don't believe Laura was ever there PRIOR to the murder), she felt "needed" by him and would have done anything to prove her love and win his affection.

Laura got "Colton" tattooed on her AFTER their arrest. She wasn't scared of him then! She was recorded on calls she made in jail making remarks about Jennifer's mom, Sharon, saying "that bitc# is going down." How sick is that?

I've researched this case A LOT and I can't decide if I think Laura helped dismember the body or not. I do not believe she knew about the murder until Colton called her to come over. I can see that it's extremely possible that she, in an effort to "help" Colton, could have attempted to help "get rid of" the body. Beyond a reasonable doubt? I don't know.

I DO KNOW that she left and didn't alert anyone. She got cash together and drove him in her car across the border. She didn't drop him off and leave him there. She didn't tell the arresting officers "thank God your here, he's killed someone." She absolutely is an accessory after the fact to murder. Not to mention that she, like Colton, has no remorse, compassion or empathy. I think it's absolutely hysterical that she ended up with a longer sentence. SPOILED BRAT SYNDROME!

I want to add how horrible I think it was that Jennifer's stepfather had to break into Coltons apartment and find Jennifer, with her mom and sister at the door before the police would do anything. Defense attorneys tried hard to get the case dismissed bc of it and even wanted Jim (her stepfather) ARRESTED and charged with breaking and entering! Mind boggling!
**Everything I've said is only my personal opinion and my synopsis of things I have read.**

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suzanne M1a
Back