TX TX- Kelle Fernstrom, 24, Houston, 1 Sep 1983

Kelle's NamUs page was last updated about a year ago (Sep'19), but I see several important changes from her original file. I have bolded in purple what I have spotted:

Kelle Renee Fernstrom
Female
White / Caucasian

Date of Last Contact: September 1, 1983
Missing From: Houston, Texas
Missing Age: 24 Years
Current Age: 61 Years

Case Information

Demographics
Missing Age: 24 Years
Current Age: 61 Years
First Name: Kelle
Middle Name: Renee
Last Name: Fernstrom
Nickname/Alias: Scott- Fernstrom, Kelle / Scott, Kelle / Allen, Kelle / Gillispie, Kelle

Sex: Female
Height: 5' 6" (66 Inches)
Weight: 135 lbs
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact: September 1, 1983
NamUs Case Created: September 1, 2016

Last Known Location Map
County: Harris County
Missing From Tribal Land: No
Primary Residence on Tribal Land: No

Circumstances of Disappearance:
The MP was reported missing in 2008, but was last seen in September 1983.

Physical Description
Hair Color: Brown
Head Hair Description: --
Body Hair Description: --
Facial Hair Description: --

Left Eye Color: Brown
Right Eye Color: Brown
Eye Description: --

Distinctive Physical Features
No Known Information

Clothing and Accessories
No Information Entered

Additional Case Info

Transportation
No Information Entered

-------------------------------------------------------

Does she has any more ruleouts? @Laughing @Gardener1850 @MadMcGoo ?
Interesting. Good catch! She is one I’ve always wished we knew more about. I may poke around on Ancestry some, but I doubt I’ll find anything more than those who tried before me (genealogy legends :D)

Just the one exclusion - 1985 Alleghany Jane Doe (VA)

ETA: Also, her age is different than Charley Project, and the thread title (so I’m assuming original NamUs profile). It’s now listed as 24 years.

Well, now this posts alleges she had a daughter in Illinois in December of 1980. :confused:

ETA: OMG!! I was still reading 1980 on NamUs! :oops: My mistake! It’s 1983! Huge difference from before! Sorry, my brain is trying to recover from just now reading about JJ and Tylee. :(

Last edited:
Thanks, @MadMcGoo ! This case adds more question that answers, if I have to be honest. If Kelle went missing sometime in 1983, did she still go missing from the Houston area?

A few things I noticed from the clippings:

- Her maiden name seems to be Scott, so I reckon this is her father's surname, but her father's absent from the events in the clippings (passed away perhaps?).

- Her mother's surname is written Gellispie, not Gillispie as stated in NamUs. Was this her mother's maiden name or did she remarry?

- But where does the name Allen come from? (one of the alternative names stated in NamUs) Could this be her mother's maiden name if Gellispie is her remarried name?

- Kelle came from Michigan.

- Kelle's husband was a sergeant in the Army at the time of their 1980 wedding.

- They were married in Georgia.

- Mr. Fernstrom petitioned for divorce roughly about a year after Kelle was last seen.​

And finally, I tried to make the photograph a bit clearer, but given that it is based on a photograph printed in a newspaper in 1980, one can only do so much.

upload_2020-8-31_0-11-7.png

Last edited:
Thanks, @MadMcGoo ! This case adds more question that answers, if I have to be honest. If Kelle went missing sometime in 1983, did she still go missing from the Houston area?

A few things I noticed from the clippings:

- Her maiden name seems to be Scott, so I recon this is her father's surname, but her father's absent from the events in the clippings (passed away perhaps?).

- Her mother's surname is written Gellispie, not Gillispie as stated in NamUs. Was this her mother's maiden name or did she remarry?

- But where does the name Allen come from? (one of the alternative names stated in NamUs)

- Kelle came from Michigan.

- Kelle's husband was a sergeant in the Army.

- They were married in Georgia.

- Mr. Fernstrom petitioned for divorce roughly about a year after Kelle was last seen.​

And finally, I tried to make the photograph a bit clearer, but given that it is based the photo printed in a newspaper in 1980, one can only do so much.

View attachment 262029
SO many more questions! So many more everything!... places, names, dates.

I’m still looking for other stuff based on the new info, but nothing yet. I’m guessing you’re right, she was from Michigan and her maiden name is probably Scott. And then her mother's name was Gellispie/Gillespie. No idea where Allen comes into play though.

The particular school listed as her having graduated from, unfortunately only has the year 1978 on classmates.com, a year after she graduated. So, I’ve had no luck with that.

I’d assume all the different places (and maybe some confusion) is due in part to her husband being in the military and moving around often. Which he in fact was in the military. Illinois and Michigan seem to be the places they were at most often and for the longest periods of time. I’ve found no connection to Texas whatsoever, so I’m interested in how she disappeared from there.

I’ve not found anything about the birth of a child either, but it’s probably accurate, especially given the change in her year of disappearance. If she and RDF did give birth to a daughter in Illinois in December 1980, that means they were only in Georgia for some months (less than a year).

I'd like to find out where she was following the birth of her daughter and her disappearance. I'm going to guess Texas, but I've been wrong about a lot in this case apparently! Definitely a mystery.

Thanks for trying to improve that newspaper photo! I wasn't even going to try LOL

Remains found in Munday, Texas:

Per Google Maps, hour and a half from Sheppard AFB to Munday:

6 hours to Houston, where she was eventually reported missing.

The sun has rize'
The sun has set
And we iz still
in Texas yet.

but I do wonder what happened to this Air Force bride.

jmho ymmv lrr

Last edited:
Forgot that the wedding announcement indicates US Army!

Nice Texas map at this link, which will not copy for me.

Apparently Dyess AFB was an Army base in the '80's. Per Google Maps, again about an hour & a half drive:

Did Kelle Scott Fernstrom ever live in Houston???

jmho ymmv lrr

I know something about Kelle, we went to school together. She grew up in Warren, MI and her maiden name is Gillispie. During HS, I think she was adopted by her step father and took the name Scott. She would be born in 1958 or 59 and graduate RS Tower HS in 1977. She has a daughter in IL who posted in our HS group in 2016 looking for pics and info from people who knew her, and she posted an Army graduation pic of Kelle, so she was in the military. I'm reluctant to post her daughter's name but if it should become helpful and necessary I would do it. I know she would like answers. The daughter graduated HS in IL in 1999.
I didn't know Kelle well, but she was not a cheerleader type, or a star student or athlete. She wasn't a hard partier and just went through school as everyone does. She does have a sister, though I can't recall her name. Maybe if I dig out the yearbooks I could find it. I hope something can be discovered about her whereabouts, even at this late date.

Attachments

• 129930422_display.jpg
    129930422_display.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
@Kojak759 , welcome to WS and thanks for posting. Very interesting info here.

Consider becoming a Verified Insider for Kelle's case!

As you can see, some of us have been interested in Ms. Fernstrom's disappearance for a long time.

jmho ymmv lrr

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back