TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm posting this here as some have mentioned they think "Lori Ruff" might have left the Children Of God cult- this is the obit of a woman who was victimized by the cult and never recovered emotionally

http://www.tributes.com/show/Rebecca-H.-Connolly-74460639

I read up on her death years ago & I know that she was planning on giving info about her time in the C of G cult to an investigator. NOT saying Rebecca's death was not an accident, but there is something to the theory of "Lori Ruff" being a runaway from a cult. If this helps any of the sleuthing...it's worth a read.

I had an epiphany today. Mockingbird in Dallas is the road Love Field is on.. It's the smaller airport that Southwest flies out of... Could she have been a flight attendant?! That would explain how she traveled, and she could have maintained separate fake IDs in different states that way, but working under her real identity!!

This is a very viable idea. Thank you for suggesting it...

Do you think there is any relation and connection to C.C. Stalder and R. Stalder? Specifically a connection to C.C. Stalder?

Yes. I think C.C. is the stepmother or aunt, owned the PO Box in Nevada, signed the letter, and may have used the name Jennifer Perkins.

Hello! My name is William, from London. Since yesterday, when I first became aware of this case, I've caught the sleuthing bug and, after a few hours, I believe I may have found Jane Doe's family. It's certainly a bit of a long shot.

My theory is that Jane Doe is the daughter of Eric Alexander King and Lorene May Wadleigh. Intuitively, I thought that there was something off-colour about the name 'Lori Erica Kennedy', as if some sort of answer lay there, hidden in plain sight. My first thought was that it signified something from her past, perhaps a play on words. I also did not believe that Jane knowing about Becky Sue Turner was the result of travelling across states and hours spent mining public records; I imagined something more mundane: she knew about Turner because she lived in the same area as the cemetery. Finding a post on here, from 2013 (by neesaki), where an Eric A. King is mentioned, only encouraged this idea. His tragic death was also interesting, fitting with the possible tragic background of our Jane Doe. So, after performing searches on ancestry.co.uk, I found these two individuals ("Eric A. K..." and "Lorene"). Here are the facts as I know them:

1) Eric Alexander King was allegedly a stockbroker from Rathdown, near Dublin, Ireland. He was born on 25 September 1936, had an older brother named Malcolm, and married Lorene May Wadleigh (daughter of Donald Jacques Wadleigh and Mildred Lorene Canfield) on 1st July 1961 in Seattle, Washington. His death, which occured in Sumner, was purportedly a suicide. I would like to read his obituary because it may hold some clues, or direct statements, about his life, his family, any children he may or may not have had, and the reason for his suicide. But Tacoma Public Library does not let anyone access these obituaries anymore. It directs me to the WA State Library, whose Borrowing & Lending Office I've emailed. Hopefully, I'll receive a reply (and maybe a copy) soon.

2) Eric was naturalized as an American on 1st May 1985. At the time of his naturalization, he, and presumably his wife, lived at 1530 Vista Drive Southeast, Puyallup (near Tacoma), which Google informs me is 2.9-3 miles away from Woodbine Cemetery, Puyallup, where Becky Sue Turner is buried. Lorene continued to live in the area of Tacoma until the early 90s. She later remarried after Eric's death.

3) Lorene was born 26 October 1937 in Kansas. She lived in Seattle and Auburn (not simultaneously) in the 90s. The name "Lori" can be used as a diminutive form of Lorene. The witnesses to Lorene and Eric's marriage were Malcolm J. King and Judith Richardson.

At this point, I do not know if they had any children. Ancestry.com (and .co.uk) has not made California Births for the 1960s publicly available. I would have to order a birth certificate from the Washington State Department of Health, but I don't know if the protocol for ordering certificates is different in the US to how it is in the UK. I believe it's worth a look, given the similarity of the names, the timing of the marriage in 1961 (if they had children soon or sometime afterwards, it would suit Jane Doe's approximate age) and the close proximity that Eric and presumably Lorene's residence had to Woodbine Cemetery.

Sources (requires ancestry.co.uk or .com registration to view original record images, except for FamilySearch results):

Eric A King in the Ireland, Civil Registration Births Index, 1864-1958

Malcolm J King, Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes (FamilySearch)

Eric A King in the Washington Death Index, 1940-1996

Eric A King in the Web: Tacoma, Washington, Obituary Index, 1939-2010

Lorene M Wadleigh [and Eric A. King] in the Washington, Marriage Records, 1865-2004

Lorene Wadleigh in the 1940 United States Federal Census

Eric Alexander King in the Washington, Naturalization Records, 1904-1991

I looked on Peoplefinders.com and see that Lorene May who is connected to Eric A King remarried a William Wilkinson and she is connected to Melissa (Missy) King, all in Seattle area. Melissa has a Facebook page.

Yes, I saw that too, but I wondered if it would be inappropriate to post it, so I omitted her husband's surname. I always worry about treading on other people's privacy. It's very easy to do if you're a genealogist.

Apologies. I neglected to mention, for those who cannot access the ancestry.co.uk transcript, that Eric's death took place on 19th December 1988.

I performed a peoplefinders search for Malcolm J. Kings born in 1935 - Malcolm J., Eric's brother, was born in 1935 in Rathdown and was a witness at Eric and Lorene's wedding - and the name "Lori" turns up again (spelt "Lorie").

http://www.peoplefinders.com/search...n=J&city=&state=&age=&dobmm=&dobdd=&doby=1935

EDIT: Found out that the appearance of the name "Lorie" is probably a coincidence (she's a possible daughter-in-law). I'm not even sure if it's the right Malcolm J. King now. I'll leave it for you to judge more adequately...

It would be nice if they would release her medical history. I've known two high-functioning schizophrenics who have done similar things.

The easiest solution is she suffered from profound mental illness.

Welcome William-90! Great sleuthing there. I think your theory is worth reporting to the SSA. Here is the contact info.

Joseph J. Velling
Special Agent in Charge
SSA Office of the Inspector General
(888) 250-4172 ext 18417 wk
(206) 553-1002 fax
Joseph.Velling@ssa.gov

Yes. I think C.C. is the stepmother or aunt, owned the PO Box in Nevada, signed the letter, and may have used the name Jennifer Perkins.

Hi HawkFan, Interesting theory as well. What makes you think the C.C. owned the PO Box and used the name Jennifer Perkins? Is that just speculation? Or do you have something concrete to back it up?

Welcome William-90! Great sleuthing there. I think your theory is worth reporting to the SSA. Here is the contact info.

Joseph J. Velling
Special Agent in Charge
SSA Office of the Inspector General
(888) 250-4172 ext 18417 wk
(206) 553-1002 fax
Joseph.Velling@ssa.gov

Thank you. I've just sent an e-mail to him. I'm very glad that you've all responded well to this because I was concerned that more experienced minds would consider it too outré a theory. It makes sense to me, but something making sense to me is rarely an indication of anything sensible.

Another note: I cannot find birth records for any children, but the property they owned could suggest that they did have one or two.

Eric and Lorene lived at 1530 Vista Drive Southeast, Puyallup. As of 2014, it is listed as a three bedroom single family home. Unless extension work has been done on the house since 1985, Eric and Lorene would have been occupying a property with three bedrooms, which suggests that there was more than two people living there - perhaps one or two children. In the absence of birth records for their children, this information doesn't prove outright they gave birth to or raised any, but it would be strange indeed for Eric and Lorene to buy a property of that size - suitable for more than two occupants - if they were going to be the only people living there. It would be unnecessary, and done at a gratuitous expense.

Another note: I cannot find birth records for any children, but the property they owned could suggest that they did have one or two.

Eric and Lorene lived at 1530 Vista Drive Southeast, Puyallup. As of 2014, it is listed as a three bedroom single family home. Unless extension work has been done on the house since 1985, Eric and Lorene would have been occupying a property with three bedrooms, which suggests that there was more than two people living there - perhaps one or two children. In the absence of birth records for their children, this information doesn't prove outright they gave birth to or raised any, but it would be strange indeed for Eric and Lorene to buy a property of that size - suitable for more than two occupants - if they were going to be the only people living there. It would be unnecessary, and done at a gratuitous expense.

According to Zillow, it was last sold in 1991. Possibly whomever lives there now bought it from Lorene.

It would be nice if they would release her medical history. I've known two high-functioning schizophrenics who have done similar things.

The easiest solution is she suffered from profound mental illness.

Can you share a bit more about what these two high functioning mentally ill people did...? Just curious.

This is some nice investigative work, and very well-written. That being said, there is zero evidence that this hypothetical daughter even existed, let alone was really FLEK. I don't see how posting all of these folks' personal information is really justified here, unless I'm missing something.

Edit: Regarding William-90's posts above.

I am new here and I have been following and reading this forum with great interest. Great bit of sleuthing there William-90!

I know it's a long shot but I am just throwing this out there and see what you guys think.
I was wondering whether it is possible that this lady grew up in some sort of religious cult or sect, for example FLDS? I suppose that would explain her conservative or "traditional" ways and it would also, make sense as to why she changed her identity so much? Just a thought.

I have only just noticed that there is another thread related to religious sects, specifically the LeBarons.
I never noticed it, until I posted my reply above...I suppose, I should have read all of the threads before posting..doh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592