TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe Akoya was full of crap and that's why they haven't posted on that other site since the article came out!!

Ah but someone called in the name Cassidy as well:

For three years, a large cadre of dogged online sleuths has been trying to solve the mystery. Late last year, one of them called Velling with a theory: Lori Ruff came from a family back East, she said. The Cassidys. Based on the evidence she provided, Velling believed she was right.

I get the impression until then Velling/Fitzpatrick knew she was a Cassidy but had no idea which part of America she was from and came t a dead end. The called in tip late last year allowed them to concentrate on PA.

I take it differently. I get the impression Fitzpatrick is the sleuth that called him.

"For most of the online sleuths, investigating the Lori Ruff case was a matter of poring through records of missing-persons photos looking for women who resembled Lori. There is no doubt they have spent thousands of hours doing this.

Colleen Fitzpatrick, a nuclear-physicist-turned-forensic genealogist, went about the investigation differently. As a scientist, she worked on lasers and optics for 25 years, often using beams of light as a yardstick for measuring something. “People used to ask what I did for a living,” she recalled. “I’d say I shine light on things.”"

I supposed that tipster COULD have been Akoya but she still didn't solve it.

I'm a bit befuddled by the CW thread. Someone just posted: 'As a bit of an outsider/newbie on this case, I find some of the personal attacks really unsettling'.

I fail to see how asking for some form of verification from a supposed insider is a personal attack.

Ah. Ok. When I read that, I thought the person that called in the tip was Fitzpatrick--the forensic genealogist and then she worked with Velling from there. Strange they had a tip sent in but it didn't go anywhere. I supposed that tipster COULD have been Akoya but she still didn't solve it. They had to use DNA to find the family and didn't even have a name until they showed the family pictures of Lori.

She claimed she solved it with Joe last year before he retired. We know that is not what was reported today.

I'm so confused how Fitzpatrick came across the Cassidy's to begin with? The only thing that makes sense is the distant DNA match being the starting point but the article doesn't read that way.

Ah. Ok. When I read that, I thought the person that called in the tip was Fitzpatrick--the forensic genealogist and then she worked with Velling from there. Strange they had a tip sent in but it didn't go anywhere. I supposed that tipster COULD have been Akoya but she still didn't solve it. They had to use DNA to find the family and didn't even have a name until they showed the family pictures of Lori.

They'd started with the genealogy route 2 or 3 years ago and knew of a distant Cassidy relative but no idea of location or how to proceed. The called in tip presumably went "Oh I know her parents/sister/workplace in Philadelphia, her name is something Cassidy" which rang alarm bells for Velling and he knew they could narrow it down. He then had several weeks to suss it out and verify it before approaching the Cassidy family back in March.

It's all just awesome really. When science meets humanity. I'm soooo pleased both families have the answers they wanted.

I really want to see a photo of Kimberley.

Hello Guests, why not sign up and join in? I'm sure you've got plenty to add.

I take it differently. I get the impression Fitzpatrick is the sleuth that called him.

"For most of the online sleuths, investigating the Lori Ruff case was a matter of poring through records of missing-persons photos looking for women who resembled Lori. There is no doubt they have spent thousands of hours doing this.

Colleen Fitzpatrick, a nuclear-physicist-turned-forensic genealogist, went about the investigation differently. As a scientist, she worked on lasers and optics for 25 years, often using beams of light as a yardstick for measuring something. “People used to ask what I did for a living,” she recalled. “I’d say I shine light on things.”"

The timeline says Fitzpatrick got involved in 2013, the tip wasn't called in until 2015.

It's kind of confusing but I believe you were right the first time it was Fitzpatrick who called the tip in.

Wow isn't enough... I picked the right week to check in!!! i am amazed at the things DNA science can do! I have been working on this for years and to read the updated story made me teary eyed, as well. Kimberly has her name back, two families have closure, and the daughter has more family . ... ❤️

I'm happy that her daughter can have a relationship with her bio relatives, that they're not some dangerous criminal abusive set.

I'm intrigued about the missing two years and where she lived and under what name.

I want to see a pic of Kimberly!

I'm annoyed that it seems like it was solved a while back but yet her Namus stayed up and people kept putting in many hours investigating.

And I think that the foia request was the trigger for the story breaking - they must have been pushed into it. So thanks awillis for that and I hope they never charged your credit card!
I also second the part about the daughter, and also the Ruffs, not being in any danger. It's refreshing to know that our Lori wasn't some criminal or someone escaping from horrid abuse. It seems like the only thing she was running from was herself. It happens. At least there's a level of closure. And relief. There's no shame for Little Girl Ruff, and she has a huge family, now.

I haven't been on this case long, but it's been a distinct pleasure to work with the folks on this thread. I have learned new things and ideas, and I appreciate your hospitality. Please remember me on anything in the future with the rest of this story. I have a feeling that there's much more to it!

I'll be going back to the search for Brandon Lawson, missing from San Angelo, TX, when things settle down here. You folks are more than welcome to put some eyes on there if you are looking for something new.

*All statements are that of my own opinion unless otherwise specified.*

That's how I read it also. The reporter who wrote the piece is on FB answering questions so she can be asked to clarify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so confused how Fitzpatrick came across the Cassidy's to begin with? The only thing that makes sense is the distant DNA match being the starting point but the article doesn't read that way.
It appears to me that Fitzpatrick read about the case and contacted the family and suggested ancestry DNA sites, and they went along with it. She found a 3rd cousin and then reached out to Velling...then kept trying to find a closer match. That is how I read it. Maybe i am wrong on that point. Oh wait I remember now. I called Velling. That's the ticket. I was sailing in my yacht in the med I mean the Indian Ocean with my wife Morgan Fairchild..when i remembered something when I was a spy for MI5...

Assuming no trauma or abuse has been omitted from her story, it seems that the breaking up of her family was the catalyst for her leaving. Still, leaving because you don't like your step dad is so extreme.

You've never been a step child. I have been, & I understand fully.

Yes, there are many wonderful step parents out there. But there are also a lot of less than wonderful ones, & it appears that Kimberly did not have one of the wonderful step parents.

Now that this woman has a name, I feel like this entire case has been a wild goose chase. Maybe one day, we will find out what all the scribbling on the papers meant.

You know when you watch a show and the ending is anticlimactic? You're like WTF? This is how I feel right now. I guess in my wild imagination, I was hoping for some outrageous outcome. Does that make sense?

I live in Pennsylvania, though on the other side of the state. Can't find a HS yearbook online from her years and it is too far to go. Would like to see if she actually had a nose job. I say probably not, but it looks broken. Been wrong before, though.
Alumni forums of Bishop McD HS should yield some interesting comments very soon! I am sure someone will remember her.
I worked on that side of the state for several years for the Department of Transportation, 89 to 91 to be exact, and I have been to Wyncote. Sometimes I think I've been everywhere! There was a neighborhood called Kennedy Farms or Kennedy Woods or something in or near Wyncote. wonder if she lived there of got that name from there?
Wonder if she used her birth name in Texas at all before she became BST?
If her parents' divorce precipitated such a change in her behavior, no wonder her own divorce was so tough on her.

I gave her the name FLEK, long before the Seattle Times article, so I now officially retire it. I will refer to her as Kim or KMcL from now on.

You've never been a step child. I have been, & I understand fully.

Yes, there are many wonderful step parents out there. But there are also a lot of less than wonderful ones, & it appears that Kimberly did not have one of the wonderful step parents.

She was at the worst age for adjusting to that too. I have heard it said if we acted like we do in those teen years at any other time in our life, they would lock us in a loony bin. I am sure she was rebellious and very unhappy with the changes.

This... is like the finale of St. Elsewhere! (dating myself here lol)

You know when you watch a show and the ending is anticlimactic? You're like WTF? This is how I feel right now. I guess in my wild imagination, I was hoping for some outrageous outcome. Does that make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurumsal