TX - Moriah Wilson, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally get that. On the other hand, I've read that Austin has a huge cycling community who has been traumatized by this, so many there would be aware of details of the case and she may not get a "fair" trial from jurors who are unaware of the specifics, if jurors were pulled from the immediate area. Just MO, based on what I've read of the various rides where the Austin community has pulled together in Moriah's honor.
Excellent points! I do think they will seat a jury in Travis County though. I don't see a change of venue. JMO

Trying to catch up here - so it sounds like from what I've skimmed above that she IS claiming the inability to pay for an attorney but Cofer who was involved from day one is still representing her? Not sure what that means legally as we've discussed here before. I'm certain anyone can't pick the best of the best just because they can't afford anyone, so is her slant still "I have no funds so need a public defender" and he is now the appointed one even though his job is not as a public defender but he sometimes takes on other cases?

Totally get that. On the other hand, I've read that Austin has a huge cycling community who has been traumatized by this, so many there would be aware of details of the case and she may not get a "fair" trial from jurors who are unaware of the specifics, if jurors were pulled from the immediate area. Just MO, based on what I've read of the various rides where the Austin community has pulled together in Moriah's honor.
I don't think the biking community is that homogenous in Austin. Gravel racers are such a tiny subset of the many bikers (or most) who never compete in any way except against their own personal goals.

I think there could be recreational bikers on the jury who could be fair and unbiased. JMO, though.

I'm curious about everyone's thoughts are on picking jurors for this case. What biases will both sides be seeking to eliminate?

Oh boy. Just did some reading on the Candy Montgomery case.

Is the defense possibly playing out this alleged vandalism as one of these options:

1. MW broke into CS and KA home, took the gun, and KA went to confront MW, gun appears / tussle / self defense. (Gun appeared back at the house, so illogical).

2. Some other guy, ex-bf of MW broke in to the home of CS and KA, stole the gun and used it on MW?

Or some version of one of the above?

jmo
The classic SODDI (some other dude did it) defense.

Edited to fix typos.

Last edited:
I don't think the biking community is that homogenous in Austin. Gravel racers are such a tiny subset of the many bikers (or most) who never compete in any way except against their own personal goals.

I think there could be recreational bikers on the jury who could be fair and unbiased. JMO, though.

I'm curious about everyone's thoughts are on picking jurors for this case. What biases will both sides be seeking to eliminate?
I don't know. I just know if you look it up, it seems like the Austin cycling community was in shock and devastated by this even tho most are not gravel racers. Maybe all bicyclists are kindred spirits.

Just some links I found so my post doesn't get deleted:

Trying to catch up here - so it sounds like from what I've skimmed above that she IS claiming the inability to pay for an attorney but Cofer who was involved from day one is still representing her? Not sure what that means legally as we've discussed here before. I'm certain anyone can't pick the best of the best just because they can't afford anyone, so is her slant still "I have no funds so need a public defender" and he is now the appointed one even though his job is not as a public defender but he sometimes takes on other cases?
IMO she filled out a financial form that they may well require all in custody defendants to fill out. She is not requesting a public defender or a court appointed attorney.

Cofer et al could very much be representing her at less than normal fee or no fee at all. The publicity, branding, marketing is priceless for future business in the arena of high profile criminal defense. This is not going to be a quick plea deal this is going to be a drawn out battle and the publicity will roll on and on.

Criminal defense for high profile cases can be like when a reality show features a cast member getting a cosmetic procedure and shows the doctor or clinic name. The cast member isn’t paying the standard quoted fee for that procedure. It’s akin to product placement. The idea Cofer would turn down this case because he is not getting his standard quoted fee misses that publicity, media stories, content on crime shows, podcasts etc., now and for years to come, makes reputations and has monetary value to the business.

IMO she filled out a financial form that they may well require all in custody defendants to fill out. She is not requesting a public defender or a court appointed attorney.

Cofer et al could very much be representing her at leas than normal fee or no fee at all. The publicity, branding, marketing is priceless for future business in the arena of high profile criminal defense. This is not going to be a quick plea deal this is going to be a drawn out battle and the publicity will roll on and on.

Criminal defense for high profile cases Is like when a reality show features a cast member getting a cosmetic procedure and shows the doctor or clinic name. Teh cast meaner isn’t laying the standard quoted fee for that procedure. It’s akin to product placement. The idea Cofer would turn down this case because he is not getting his standard quoted fee misses that publicity, media stories, content on crime shows, podcasts etc now and for years to come makes reputations and has monetary value to the business.
Ok. But we don't have to like it. The best defense that publicity can buy irks me.
JMO

Cofer et al could very much be representing her at less than normal fee or no fee at all. The publicity, branding, marketing is priceless for future business in the arena of high profile criminal defense. This is not going to be a quick plea deal this is going to be a drawn out battle and the publicity will roll on and on.

Criminal defense for high profile cases can be like when a reality show features a cast member getting a cosmetic procedure and shows the doctor or clinic name. The cast member isn’t paying the standard quoted fee for that procedure. It’s akin to product placement. The idea Cofer would turn down this case because he is not getting his standard quoted fee misses that publicity, media stories, content on crime shows, podcasts etc., now and for years to come, makes reputations and has monetary value to the business.
Yeah, before Casey Anthony, no one had ever heard of Jose Baez, and now he is one of the most sought-after attorneys in the country. Maybe Cofer wants to be the next Jose Baez. JMO

“Did the inexperience of two key officers assigned to this case play a role in its apparent mishandling?

BOLD.

Bold as brass!

And dragging in some ex of MW’s as a red herring. Maybe the story will be: what if that ex ransacked the house and took not just KA’s gun but her Jeep, because otherwise what a terrible coincidence that her Jeep with distinctive bike rack, luggage rack, and chrome was trawling around the street where MW was staying right at the time of the crime, and no other vehicles were caught on the neighbors camera until the emergency responders. But then the culprit somehow returned both gun and Jeep to the house, no wait CS saw the Jeep pull into his driveway with only KA in it sometime after 9:21. Hmmmm.

I wouldn’t really expect any less of a defense for KA she is rather bold and brazen from all we’ve learned of her actions around this murder, IMO.

“Kait”

“If Kait is going to be held in jail until trial, or face millions of dollars' bond, then she has the right for trial to be held as quickly as possible," Armstrong's attorney Rick Cofer told the American-Statesman. "In the meantime, questions about both the circumstances and the police investigation itself still need to be answered."

Bold as brass!

And dragging in some ex of MW’s as a red herring. Maybe the story will be: what if that ex ransacked the house and took not just KA’s gun but her Jeep, because otherwise what a terrible coincidence that her Jeep with distinctive bike rack, luggage rack, and chrome was trawling around the street where MW was staying right at the time of the crime, and no other vehicles were caught on the neighbors camera until the emergency responders. But then the culprit somehow returned both gun and Jeep to the house, no wait CS saw the Jeep pull into his driveway with only KA in it sometime after 9:21. Hmmmm.

I wouldn’t really expect any less of a defense for KA she is rather bold and brazen from all we’ve learned of her actions around this murder, IMO.
And then she fled the country and underwent elective surgery to change her appearance because she was so scared of Mo’s ex. I hope the jurors see right through this.

“Kait”

“If Kait is going to be held in jail until trial, or face millions of dollars' bond, then she has the right for trial to be held as quickly as possible," Armstrong's attorney Rick Cofer told the American-Statesman. "In the meantime, questions about both the circumstances and the police investigation itself still need to be answered."

Poor Kait. Unreal.

And then she fled the country and underwent elective surgery to change her appearance because she was so scared of Mo’s ex. I hope the jurors see right through this.
Wondering if the defense will make a pretrial motion to exclude evidence about her fleeing to Costa Rica as being unduly prejudicial or something.

“Kait”

Also from the article:

"If you assert your right to a speedy trial, then you are ready to go to trial ... despite having filed all these motions (for evidence)," Kennedy told defense attorneys.”

If you scroll down, you even see Christine Armstrong from earlier today at the courthouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zhoule