TX TX/OR - Jerry Walter McFadden, 1979-1986

faithx

Reaction score
Jerry Walter McFadden, also known as "The Animal," was an American serial killer and rapist who was executed in 1999.
Date of Birth: March 21, 1948
Date of Execution: October 14, 1999

Known murder victims:
Anna Marie Hlavka (20)
Suzanne Harrison (18)
Gena Turner (20)
Bryan Boone (19)

Links:
Jerry Walter McFadden - Wikipedia
Jerry Walter McFadden | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

Documentary shows:
House of Horrors: Kidnapped - Season 2, Episode 4 "They Called Him Animal" (Air date April 7, 2015)
Southern Gothic - Season 1, Episode 1 "They Call Me Animal" (Air date April 27, 2020)

From Wikipedia:
On May 4, 1986, McFadden kidnapped 20-year-old Gena Turner, 19-year-old Bryan Boone, and 18-year-old Suzanne Harrison as they took a trip to Lake Hawkins north of Tyler. McFadden raped and strangled Harrison and dumped her body in a park about 25 miles from Lake Hawkins. She was found the next day. He was arrested on 6 May, after a police report from a couple he had attacked by the lake on the day of the murder. Three days later, the bodies of Boone and Turner were discovered, with gunshot wounds being the cause of death.

McFadden had been convicted of rape three times between 1972 and 1978, but never had to serve his full sentence. He was released on parole in July 1985. There were several witnesses who had seen McFadden close to the scene of the crime on the day of the killings. Ammunition found in his possession was identified as the same ammunition used in the killings of Boone and Turner. DNA evidence was collected from the bodies at this time.

On July 9, 1986, he overcame Kenneth Mayfield, a jailer, and escaped from the prison in Upshur County with Rosalie Williams, another guard, as a hostage. He was arrested two days later after the biggest fugitive hunt in Texas state history. In August 1986, he was sentenced to life imprisonment for the escape.

In July 1987, he was sentenced to death for the murder of 18-year-old Suzanne Harrison, 20-year-old Gina Turner and 19-year-old Bryan Boone. The Texas Appeals Court affirmed the conviction and sentence in November 1993. In October 1999, he was executed in the Huntsville Unit by lethal injection.

In January 2019, McFadden was linked by DNA via GEDmatch to the July 24, 1979 murder of Anna Marie Hlavka; Anna was found dead by her sister inside her apartment. Police said Hlavka had been sexually assaulted and strangled with the electric cord from her clock radio.

Timeline of crimes
- Sentenced to 15 years in prison in 1972 for two counts of rape. Paroled in December 1978.
- Committed July 24, 1979 murder of Anna Marie Hlavka in Portland, Oregon. McFadden was not identified as the killer until January 2019 using Genetic genealogy.
- Convicted in 1979 of aggravated sexual abuse for kidnapping and raping an 18-year-old woman at knifepoint. Paroled in July 1985, having served less than five years of a 15-year sentence.
- Arrested in May 1986 for the rape and murder of 18-year-old high school cheerleader Suzanne Harrison and the murder of 20-year-old Gina Turner and 19-year old Bryan Boone who were shot.

ANNA HLAVKA | Unsolved Cold Cases | The City of Portland, Oregon

On July 24, 1979, Rose Ann Hlavka returned to her apartment at 1811 NW Couch Street, #103 at approx 10 pm after working her shift at a nearby McDonalds. Rose Ann shared her apartment with her sister, Anna Marie Hlavka. After calling for her sister and receiving no response, Rose Ann looked into the bedroom and found her sister's body. It was immediately apparent that Anna had been strangled and may have been sexually assaulted.

Anna Marie Hlavka was a 20-year-old white female who was described by those who knew her as being a well-mannered young lady. She had no criminal record and was not involved in any criminal activity. She was living with her boyfriend and they were talking about getting married. She worked various jobs, the latest at McDonalds. She was last seen alive on July 24, 1979, by a friend and co-worker at approximately 5 pm outside her apartment building.

Cold Case Homicide Detail Solves 40-year-old Case (Photo)

Detectives in the Cold Case Homicide Detail have identified the person responsible for the murder of 20-year-old Anna Marie Hlavka, who was found deceased on July 24, 1979, in her apartment, located at 1811 NW Couch Street.

Hlavka shared that apartment with her fiancé and sister who were both working at the time of the murder. Hlavka, who had finished her shift at the nearby McDonald's was discovered by her sister, Roseanne, who had just come home after working. It was determined later that Hlavka had been sexually assaulted and strangled with the electric cord from her clock radio.

At the time, Detectives followed up on many leads and cleared several suspects, but the case eventually went cold.

In 2009, retired Detective volunteers submitted numerous items of evidence to the Oregon State Police Crime Lab for forensic testing. In 2011, an unknown male DNA profile was discovered from evidence collected at the scene. The DNA profile was deemed "a full profile," which is unusual for cases this old, where DNA evidence can be degraded over time.

In 2012, the case began to be actively investigated by the Cold Case Homicide Detail. From 2012 to 2016, Detectives collected and submitted eight subjects' DNA profiles in an attempt to identify the killer; all came back negative. In 2016, Detectives met with the Hlavka family to notify them of the efforts to solve the case and the ongoing efforts to research new avenues to attempt to solve the case.

In May 2018, Detectives researched forensic genealogy using unidentified DNA profiles from homicides scenes. This technology was brought to the forefront of cold case homicide investigations with the May 2018 arrest in northern California of the "Golden State Killer." Detectives contacted Parabon NanoLabs and the Oregon State Police Crime Lab in order to determine if the Hlavka evidence was a good candidate for this type of innovative testing. Both labs agreed it met the criteria for this type of work and the DNA evidence was submitted.

In October 2018, Detectives were briefed by Parabon NanoLabs staff and the forensic genealogist who worked on the case. The forensic genealogist was able to map three of the four familial lines of the killer and identified the killer as Jerry Walter McFadden, born March 21, 1948. McFadden was a convicted murderer and was executed by the State of Texas in October 1999. Due to McFadden's execution date, his DNA profile was never entered into the FBI CODIS database for comparison.

Detectives travelled to Texas to interview McFadden's family members and obtain a confirmatory DNA standard to compare with the DNA evidence in the Hlavka murder. Detectives obtained DNA standards with their consent from members of McFadden's family. Detectives also learned McFadden traveled to the Pacific Northwest in 1979 with an acquaintance from their home town. The woman reported dropping him off in Portland and having no further contact with him.

Detectives submitted McFadden's family member's DNA to the OSP Crime Lab and received confirmatory results that Jerry Walter McFadden was the killer.

Jerry Walter McFadden was convicted multiple times of rape and eventually murder in Texas. McFadden had been sentenced to 15 years in prison for two counts of rape in 1973 and was paroled in December 1978, just eight months before Anna Marie Hlavka was murdered. In 1979, he was convicted of aggravated sexual abuse after kidnapping and raping an 18-year-old woman at knifepoint. McFadden was paroled in July 1985.

McFadden was arrested in May 1986 for the rape and slaying of an 18-year-old high school cheerleader, and the shooting of two other people.

While awaiting his capital murder trial, McFadden escaped from jail and kidnapped a female corrections officer during the escape. McFadden held the corrections officer hostage for three days while eluding law enforcement in Texas. Labeled as "the biggest manhunt in Texas history," 1200 officers assisted in apprehending McFadden. His criminal exploits were the reasoning behind changing the parole qualifications in the State of Texas.

The Cold Case Homicide Detail would like to thank Parabon NanoLabs and the Oregon State Police Crime Lab, the Hlavka family and the family members of McFadden for helping bring a resolution in this case.

Cold Case Detectives are asking anyone who might have lived in Portland during 1979 to come forward if they recognize the photo of McFadden. Detectives would like to learn more about his whereabouts while he was in Portland. Anyone who has information about McFadden should contact Detective Meredith Hopper at Meredith.Hopper@portlandoregon.gov

Finding Anna Marie Hlavka’s killer A Cold Case Unit Timeline

JERRY WALTER MCFADDEN Timeline: 1972-1999

April 1972 - McFadden is convicted of two counts of rape and sentenced to 15 years in prison.

December 1978 - McFadden is paroled.

1979 - From a 2018 interview with the family, detectives learn that McFadden traveled from Texas to the Pacific Northwest sometime in 1979 with a woman from their hometown.

June 22, 1979 - McFadden kidnaps, sexually assaults and strangles a woman in Shackelford County, TX. Although identified, he is not apprehended at the time.

July 24, 1979 - 20-year-old Anna Marie Hlavka, is murdered in her apartment located at 1811 NW Couch St. Although several suspects are investigated and cleared, the case remains unsolved.

October 1979 - McFadden is arrested for violating his parole in Jones County, TX.

1981 - While in custody, McFadden is convicted for aggravated robbery and aggravated sexual abuse for the attack in Shackelford County. He is sentenced to a cumulative life sentence.

July 1985 - McFadden is paroled without serving a full term.

May 1986 - McFadden is arrested for the rape and slaying of an 18-year-old high school cheerleader, one of three people killed during a daylong murder spree.

July 1986 - While awaiting trial, McFadden escapes from Upshur County, TX and kidnaps a corrections guard in the process. After three days on the run, McFadden is apprehended.

July 1987 - McFadden is ultimately tried and convicted of the capital murder of Suzanne Harrison. While considered responsible for the murders of the other two victims, McFadden is charged and tried only with one murder.

July 1987 to October 14, 1999 - McFadden serves prison time

October 14, 1999 - McFadden is executed by the State of Texas. Because of date, DNA profile was never entered into the FBI CODIS database for comparison.

COLD CASE HOMICIDE UNIT Timeline: 2009-2018

Anna Marie Hlavka
Date of Birth: October 28, 1958
Date of Death: July 24, 1979

2009 - Anna Hlavka’s case is reviewed by a retired detective volunteer with the Cold Case Homicide Unit. Retired detective volunteers submit numerous items of evidence to the Oregon State Police Crime Lab for forensic testing.

2011 - Unidentified male DNA profile is identified. Three previously identified suspects are cleared based on the new evidence and their previously submitted DNA samples.

2012 - Cold Case Homicide Unit begins to actively investigate the case with Det. Meredith Hopper as the lead investigator.

2012 to 2016 - Eight different subjects are investigated extensively and ultimately cleared when their DNA is collected and compared to the unidentified suspect profile.

May 2016 - Detectives Hopper and Brendan McGuire meet with the family to discuss the case, the work that has been done, and assure them that Anna’s case will not be forgotten as new technologies and investigative techniques are continually researched.

May 2018 - After hearing about the Golden State Killer’s arrest in California, detectives Hopper and McGuire contact Parabon NanoLabs and arrange for the unidentified DNA sample from the OSP Crime Lab to be sent to Parabon for testing.

July 2018 - Parabon conducts the initial genetic genealogy analysis and determines there are 8 “potentially promising” matches; sharing DNA at levels consistent with 3rd cousins.

October 2018 - Parabon returns a final report of their work. Common to all these familial matches is Jerry Walter McFadden.

November 2018 - Detectives Hopper and McGuire travel to Texas and interview multiple members of the McFadden family to determine his connections to Portland, travel patterns at the time, and, ultimately, to collect DNA standards required to scientifically confirm McFadden as the suspect.

Present - The investigation continues into McFadden’s activities as detectives believe there may be additional unsolved homicides for which he is responsible.

Based on the above timeline, he was out of police custody (prison/jail) before 1972, between December 1978 and October 1979, between July 1985 and May 1986, and for a period of three days in July 1986. During these time periods, he could have sexually assaulted/murdered additional victims in Texas, Oregon, and possibly other states.

The episode of Southern Gothic about this case premieres tonight on the Investigation Discovery channel at 10 PM Eastern Time.

I just watched this episode and it definitely left me feeling like there is more out there that has not come to light. I believe strongly that there are more victims out there. Thank you for posting about this.

I just watched this episode and it definitely left me feeling like there is more out there that has not come to light. I believe strongly that there are more victims out there. Thank you for posting about this.
You're very welcome. I believe that too and I hope all of his victims will be identified. I wish this case was more publicized, as it might help solve other crimes he committed.

Also, welcome to Websleuths!

good info! Respectful, and clean as well! Anna was my aunt. Thank you for getting Anna's name correct. many links List Rose Ann Hlavka, Anna's sister, as the one who was killed. I am currently trying to contact Rose, I seen her on one of the press conferences, but all her social accounts I had for her are no longer active, probably to avoid the attention when this came to light. thought maybe it was temporary, but still can't find any info to even have a starting point. I try to post on message boards hoping she will see one or someone she knows will, and tell her that her niece, and nephew would like to reconnect. I hope she is ok and doing well! I know the effect this had on all of them, and I am sure even having this "closure" it still brings all those emotions, and feelings back like it just happened. I wish my father, and uncle were alive to see it solved, it caused much damage having no answers, my father never got over it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleuthy1101
Back