GUILTY TX - Stacey Stites, 19, found murdered, Bastrop, 23 April 1996 *Appeal denied*

<modsnip> I feel sad for (text taken from court records, warning graphic content):

1. Connie York. . First was Connie York, a nineteen-year-old who had come home late one evening after swimming with friends. 57.RR.34–35. York was grabbed from behind and told “don’t scream or I’ll hurt you.” 57.RR.35–36. When York did not listen, she was 8 repeatedly struck, dragged to her bedroom, and raped multiple times. 57.RR.37–42. Reed was interviewed, and, while he admitted that he knew York from high school, he denied raping her. 57.RR.123–24. When confronted with a search warrant for biological samples, Reed had an about-face, “Yeah, I had sex with her, she wanted it.” 57.RR.138. The case went to trial four years later, 57.RR.30, 60, and Reed was acquitted, 57.RR.61.

2. 12 year old girl. Next was A.W., a twelve-year-old girl, who was home alone, having fallen asleep on a couch after watching TV. 58.RR.36–42. A.W. awoke when someone began pushing her face into the couch and had blindfolded and gagged her. 58.RR.42–43. She was repeatedly hit in the head, called vulgar names, and orally, vaginally, and anally raped. 58.RR.43–49. The foreign DNA from A.W.’s rape kit was compared to Reed; Reed was not excluded and only one in 5.5 billion people would have the same foreign DNA profile from A.W.’s rape kit. 58.RR.51, 92; 61.RR.26.

3. Lucy Eipper. Then came Lucy Eipper, who Reed had met in high school, and whom Reed began to date after her graduation. 59.RR.10–12. Eipper had two children with Reed. 59.RR.13–14, 19–20 Throughout their relationship, Reed physically abused Eipper, including while she was pregnant, and raped her “all the time,” including one time in front of their two children. 59.RR.14–17, 21, 25–32.

4. Caroline Rivas. Afterwards, Reed began dating Caroline Rivas, an intellectually disabled woman. 60.RR.39–41. Rivas’s caseworker noticed bruises on Rivas’s body and, when asked about them, Rivas admitted that Reed would hurt her if she would not have sex with him. 60.RR.41, 61. 9 Later, Rivas’s caseworker noticed that Rivas was walking oddly and sat down gingerly. 60.RR.43. Rivas admitted that Reed had, the prior evening, hit her, called her vulgar names, and anally raped her. 60.RR.44, 63–65. The samples from Rivas’s rape kit provided the link to Stites’s murder. 60.RR.89–90.

5. Vivian Harbottle. Shortly thereafter, and about six months before Stites’s murder, Reed raped Vivian Harbottle underneath a train trestle as she was walking home. 59.RR.87–92. When she pleaded for her life for the sake of her children, Reed laughed at her. 59.RR.94. The foreign DNA from Harbottle’s rape kit was compared to Reed; he could not be excluded, and only one person in 5.5 billion would be expected to have the same foreign DNA profile. 59.RR.95, 113–14; 61.RR.26.

6. Linda Schlueter: Finally, and about six months after Stites’s murder, Reed convinced nineteen-year-old Linda Schlueter to give him a ride home at about 3:30 a.m. 61.RR.10, 37–47. Reed led her to a remote area and then attacked her. 61.RR.47–58. After a prolonged struggle, Schlueter asked Reed what he wanted and Reed responded, “I want a *advertiser censored*.” 61.RR.60. When Schlueter told Reed that “you will have to kill me before you get anything,” Reed stated “I guess I’ll have to kill you then.” 61.RR.60. Before Schlueter could be raped, a car drove by and Reed fled. 61.RR.62–64.

7. Stacey Stites.

Reference: https://www.supremecourt.gov/docketpdf/17/17-1093/45899/20180507150103836_reed bio final.pdf accessed 27 March 2023.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip> I feel so sad for this man? Let me tell you who I feel sad for (text taken from court records, warning graphic content):

1. Connie York. . First was Connie York, a nineteen-year-old who had come home late one evening after swimming with friends. 57.RR.34–35. York was grabbed from behind and told “don’t scream or I’ll hurt you.” 57.RR.35–36. When York did not listen, she was 8 repeatedly struck, dragged to her bedroom, and raped multiple times. 57.RR.37–42. Reed was interviewed, and, while he admitted that he knew York from high school, he denied raping her. 57.RR.123–24. When confronted with a search warrant for biological samples, Reed had an about-face, “Yeah, I had sex with her, she wanted it.” 57.RR.138. The case went to trial four years later, 57.RR.30, 60, and Reed was acquitted, 57.RR.61.

2. 12 year old girl. Next was A.W., a twelve-year-old girl, who was home alone, having fallen asleep on a couch after watching TV. 58.RR.36–42. A.W. awoke when someone began pushing her face into the couch and had blindfolded and gagged her. 58.RR.42–43. She was repeatedly hit in the head, called vulgar names, and orally, vaginally, and anally raped. 58.RR.43–49. The foreign DNA from A.W.’s rape kit was compared to Reed; Reed was not excluded and only one in 5.5 billion people would have the same foreign DNA profile from A.W.’s rape kit. 58.RR.51, 92; 61.RR.26.

3. Lucy Eipper. Then came Lucy Eipper, who Reed had met in high school, and whom Reed began to date after her graduation. 59.RR.10–12. Eipper had two children with Reed. 59.RR.13–14, 19–20 Throughout their relationship, Reed physically abused Eipper, including while she was pregnant, and raped her “all the time,” including one time in front of their two children. 59.RR.14–17, 21, 25–32.

4. Caroline Rivas. Afterwards, Reed began dating Caroline Rivas, an intellectually disabled woman. 60.RR.39–41. Rivas’s caseworker noticed bruises on Rivas’s body and, when asked about them, Rivas admitted that Reed would hurt her if she would not have sex with him. 60.RR.41, 61. 9 Later, Rivas’s caseworker noticed that Rivas was walking oddly and sat down gingerly. 60.RR.43. Rivas admitted that Reed had, the prior evening, hit her, called her vulgar names, and anally raped her. 60.RR.44, 63–65. The samples from Rivas’s rape kit provided the link to Stites’s murder. 60.RR.89–90.

5. Vivian Harbottle. Shortly thereafter, and about six months before Stites’s murder, Reed raped Vivian Harbottle underneath a train trestle as she was walking home. 59.RR.87–92. When she pleaded for her life for the sake of her children, Reed laughed at her. 59.RR.94. The foreign DNA from Harbottle’s rape kit was compared to Reed; he could not be excluded, and only one person in 5.5 billion would be expected to have the same foreign DNA profile. 59.RR.95, 113–14; 61.RR.26.

6. Linda Schlueter: Finally, and about six months after Stites’s murder, Reed convinced nineteen-year-old Linda Schlueter to give him a ride home at about 3:30 a.m. 61.RR.10, 37–47. Reed led her to a remote area and then attacked her. 61.RR.47–58. After a prolonged struggle, Schlueter asked Reed what he wanted and Reed responded, “I want a *advertiser censored*.” 61.RR.60. When Schlueter told Reed that “you will have to kill me before you get anything,” Reed stated “I guess I’ll have to kill you then.” 61.RR.60. Before Schlueter could be raped, a car drove by and Reed fled. 61.RR.62–64.

7. Stacey Stites.

Reference: https://www.supremecourt.gov/docketpdf/17/17-1093/45899/20180507150103836_reed bio final.pdf accessed 27 March 2023.
How many of the allegations you've shared here resulted in either-A) a guilty plea
B) a guilty verdict

Other than the Stites case?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only one went to trial. The exact same reason was used in that one - that it was consensual. However, look at the DNA evidence and pattern.

There are multiple occasions where there is a 1 in 5.5 billion chance of a DNA match and SEVEN separate allegations against one man from people who don't know each other - it seems like a lot.

He said he didn't know Stacey, he'd never met her. He said "I don't know who this person is" when shown the photograph. There was DNA proof of an encounter. Then it turned into that it was consensual, which was the exact same reason that lead to the acquittal in the number one case.

They were dropped mainly because of victims not testifying rather than anything else as far as I can tell or not taken to court (if I am wrong, please correct me there). I'm not sure the percentage of cases that go to trial in the USA in that time period, but I suspect it would be low.

I don't know if he is guilty in this particular case and I did not state that in any of my posts, there is another suspect as well. I stated that I felt sad for the seven women who have been assaulted (and assaulted and murdered), not someone who is tied to four separate rapes of women with DNA matching to the point of one in 5.5 billion each separate time, including the violent rape of a 12 year old girl, and has seven separate rape allegations against them. Just my thoughts.

Only one went to trial. The exact same reason was used in that one - that it was consensual. However, look at the DNA evidence and pattern.

There are multiple occasions where there is a 1 in 5.5 billion chance of a DNA match and SEVEN separate allegations against one man from people who don't know each other - it seems like a lot.

He said he didn't know Stacey, he'd never met her. He said "I don't know who this person is" when shown the photograph. There was DNA proof of an encounter. Then it turned into that it was consensual, which was the exact same reason that lead to the acquittal in the number one case.

They were dropped mainly because of victims not testifying rather than anything else as far as I can tell or not taken to court (if I am wrong, please correct me there). I'm not sure the percentage of cases that go to trial in the USA in that time period, but I suspect it would be low.

I don't know if he is guilty in this particular case and I did not state that in any of my posts, there is another suspect as well. I stated that I felt sad for the seven women who have been assaulted (and assaulted and murdered), not someone who is tied to four separate rapes of women with DNA matching to the point of one in 5.5 billion each separate time, including the violent rape of a 12 year old girl, and has seven separate rape allegations against them. Just my thoughts.

So what's your point? People should be executed for allegations of rape? If he didn't murder someone then he shouldn't be executed. Why are you so afraid to let the truth come out in a new trial?

No, sorry, maybe we are talking at cross purposes? I've not said anything about execution or the death penalty. And I'm not afraid of truth coming out in a new trial, I would very much hope that the truth would come out and I am glad that you feel that way too. I said that I feel sad for the people who were assaulted?

My point is that for example, with the 12 year old girl, only 1 in 5.5 billion people would have matched the DNA in the rape kit. The same with another person. The same with another person. The odds of that... well.

I think we should just agree to disagree, we obviously have a different viewpoint on this :) and it would be pointless for us to go around in circles? I think we can both agree that we both want the truth to come out though. Anything else would be illogical and wrong.

Can't believe people are sticking up for a serial rapist and murderer.

Anyone who's read the court documents knows he raped and killed Ms. Stites.

He's had DNA testing done before and his DNA came back on even more items

One being the backbrace that she had in the truck.

So what's your point? People should be executed for allegations of rape? If he didn't murder someone then he shouldn't be executed. Why are you so afraid to let the truth come out in a new trial?

Except he DID murder some one and raped her as well as other women including a 12 year old.

This is just a stall tactic this wants to play so he will not be executed.

Except he DID murder some one and raped her as well as other women including a 12 year old.

This is just a stall tactic this wants to play so he will not be executed.
Were you witness to your claim that Rodney Reed " DID murder someone and raped her as well"?

Because I am missing the expected IMO - MOO - etc

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back