UK - 3 people found dead on the streets of Nottingham 13 June 2023 ‘Arrest’

Imo it is an outrage that LE and the media are willing to release the names of the victims of this attack but will not reveal the identify of the offender. Imo this has become standard operating procedure in many European countries, and I think the vast majority of people are tired of it.

I think it is common sense that if you want to prevent these kinds of attacks in the future, you need to identify the who and the why

All jmo

Imo it is an outrage that LE and the media are willing to release the names of the victims of this attack but will not reveal the identify of the offender. Imo this has become standard operating procedure in many European countries, and I think the vast majority of people are tired of it.

I think it is common sense that if you want to prevent these kinds of attacks in the future, you need to identify the who and the why

All jmo
The reason is because it could prejudice a trial.

It sounds odd when in 2023 we have video evidence of people committing serious crimes but in English law there has to be a ‘fair’ trial.

That means that a jury of 12 must determine whether the accused is guilty based solely on the evidence presented in Court and not based on newspaper or social media posts or videos consumed in advance.

Pretty sure according to UK law he can't be named until he's charged.

And I think the reason the victims were named by media so quickly was because their names were already on Twitter.
"Friend" of Barnaby tweeted about him and Grace only hours after it happened, and immediately some hag from Daily Star (I think) was on it asking him to contact her.

It's gross how people don't think before they do things like that, can't imagine being a family member getting harrassed by strangers and "journos" demanding to know if it was my relative who died.

The man accused of murdering three people in Nottingham is a former University of Nottingham student like two of his victims, police revealed today - although officers do not believe that to be connected with the attack.
Police applied to magistrates for an extension to question the 31-year-old man yesterday and were granted another 36 hours.
He was arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of murdering 19-year-olds Grace O'Malley-Kumar and Barnaby Webber, both University of Nottingham students, and primary school caretaker Ian Coates, 65.
The force added the suspect is believed to have made his way to a supported living complex in Mapperley Road after the attack on the students but was denied entry, an incident which had not been reported to police at the time.
He then allegedly continued on foot to Magdala Road where Mr Coates was killed and had his van stolen. The force said in a statement: 'We are still working alongside Counter-Terrorism Policing and keeping an open mind on the motives behind these attacks.'

man who allegedly murdered two students and a school caretaker during a knife rampage in Nottingham can today be named as a 31-year-old engineering graduate from the University of Nottingham.

Valdo Calocane, who is understood to be from West Africa, graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering last summer, according to a pamphlet published online.

He was arrested at 5.40am on Tuesday on suspicion of murdering teenagers Grace O'Malley-Kumar and Barnaby Webber, both University of Nottingham students in their first year.

The knife attack marked the start of a 90-minute spree which also saw school caretaker Ian Coates, 65, knifed to death and three pedestrians run over, one of whom remains critically ill and was identified today as factory worker Wayne Birkett.

factory worker was fighting for his life in hospital today after being run down by a van amid the Nottingham rampage just moments after he got off a bus.

Wayne Birkett, a 58-year-old father who lives in the city, was critically injured with severe head injuries following the deadly attack two days ago in the early hours.

The Leeds United fan, nicknamed 'Mush', was said to have alighted the bus one stop earlier than normal so he could walk to his workplace near the city's train station.

University of Nottingham students Grace O'Malley-Kumar and Barnaby Webber, both 19, were found stabbed to death on Ilkeston Road at around 4am on Tuesday.

The younger brother of one of the 19-year-old students killed in the Nottingham attacks on Tuesday spoke to thousands in the city centre on Thursday as he overcame tears to ask them to 'cherish every moment' with their loved ones.
The city of Nottingham came together in mourning after Home Secretary Suella Braverman cut a somber figure as she laid a wreath to the victims of the Nottingham knife rampage.
Grace's younger brother James battled through tears to pay tribute to his sister, saying: 'Grace wasn't only just a sister to me, she was a best friend of mine.'
He added: 'I urge you all to cherish every moment you spend with your loved ones, as you just never know when it will end. Thank you.'
It came at the height of an emotionally charged service which saw family members address a vigil alongside local politicians and faith leaders.
Barney's mother Emma Webber described the attacker who killed the two students as 'evil', but added he was 'just a person' as she begged the public not to level hate at 'any colour, religion or gender'.
Grace's mother, Sinead O'Malley-Kumar said: 'What I want to say is that my beautiful baby girl, she wasn't just beautiful on the outisde, she was so beautiful on the inside.
'[Grace] was a treasured and adorerd child. She wanted very few things in life. She wanted to be a doctor, she wanted to play hockey, and she wanted to have fun.
She added: 'They were just walking home after a night out. Like Emma says, this person must face justice.'
She also invited Nottingham to say prayers for Grace

One of the young victims was my friend's best friend's son. He was my friend's godson. It's just so sudden, tragic and unfathomable.... Condolences to all the families and people affected by this. It's so hard to make any sense of these incidents.
Condolences to the families - such a tragic event. I just watched the vigil and was an emotional mess listening to the families speeches.

It’s a confusing case as I usually find the suspect in similar cases has planned the event in much more detail ( EG they would have hired a van rather than having to steal one).

I’ve seen it reported in the media that a witness saw a confrontation between the suspected murderer and the two student victims - I’m wondering if this is a guy with mental illnesses rather than a terrorist attack - just MOO.

MOO if it was a terrorist attack and he had planned to do it then he’d have had a van ready and he’d surely have waited until a busier time?

The younger brother of one of the 19-year-old students killed in the Nottingham attacks on Tuesday spoke to thousands in the city centre on Thursday as he overcame tears to ask them to 'cherish every moment' with their loved ones.
The city of Nottingham came together in mourning after Home Secretary Suella Braverman cut a somber figure as she laid a wreath to the victims of the Nottingham knife rampage.
Grace's younger brother James battled through tears to pay tribute to his sister, saying: 'Grace wasn't only just a sister to me, she was a best friend of mine.'
He added: 'I urge you all to cherish every moment you spend with your loved ones, as you just never know when it will end. Thank you.'
It came at the height of an emotionally charged service which saw family members address a vigil alongside local politicians and faith leaders.
Barney's mother Emma Webber described the attacker who killed the two students as 'evil', but added he was 'just a person' as she begged the public not to level hate at 'any colour, religion or gender'.
Grace's mother, Sinead O'Malley-Kumar said: 'What I want to say is that my beautiful baby girl, she wasn't just beautiful on the outisde, she was so beautiful on the inside.
'[Grace] was a treasured and adorerd child. She wanted very few things in life. She wanted to be a doctor, she wanted to play hockey, and she wanted to have fun.
She added: 'They were just walking home after a night out. Like Emma says, this person must face justice.'
She also invited Nottingham to say prayers for Grace
The brothers tribute was so moving.

Such a senseless killing

Condolences to the families - such a tragic event. I just watched the vigil and was an emotional mess listening to the families speeches.

It’s a confusing case as I usually find the suspect in similar cases has planned the event in much more detail ( EG they would have hired a van rather than having to steal one).

I’ve seen it reported in the media that a witness saw a confrontation between the suspected murderer and the two student victims - I’m wondering if this is a guy with mental illnesses rather than a terrorist attack - just MOO.

MOO if it was a terrorist attack and he had planned to do it then he’d have had a van ready and he’d surely have waited until a busier time?
I think this was due to severe mental illness. I can't imagine a terrorist would be yelling out that he needed to see a doctor.

I think this was due to severe mental illness. I can't imagine a terrorist would be yelling out that he needed to see a doctor.

I think so too right now. May change my mind. But when my friend went nuts and thought she would kill someone she asked to see a doctor too.
She was allowed to leave the place and she ran and killed one innocent woman.

I think so too right now. May change my mind. But when my friend went nuts and thought she would kill someone she asked to see a doctor too.
She was allowed to leave the place and she ran and killed one innocent woman.

The shouting for a doctor while trying to break in to someone's home was after he'd already murdered several people in this case though ☹️

The university graduate accused of murdering three people in the Nottingham rampage is from a churchgoing family and grew up in a leafy town in Wales.

Valdo Calocane, who is understood to be from West Africa, graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering last summer, according to a pamphlet about the ceremony published online.

He grew up in the quiet market town of Haverfordwest, Pembrokeshire where he was known for being very bright and studious before attending the university.

While he was studying, the Guinean lived a stone's throw from the stretch of Ilkeston Road where the 19-year-old victims died in the early hours of Tuesday.

Now that the suspect's name is out with some biographical details, the motive for these outrageous crimes MIGHT become a little clearer. "Mental health struggles" are being mentioned, as is ""known to police" and "petty drug-dealing" (Daily Mail, Telegraph). So the local police are going to be under some scrutiny as to whether they acted appropriately when they had prior contact with the suspect. And also whether or not he had any contact with psychiatric services or with any university services.

When I emailed my psych nurse sister in Nottingham on the first day to check if all my family were safe, I added "I hope he's not one of your patients..." Knowing she works with a few African nurses in her team, it didn't surprise me that his mother has turned out to be a nurse, although it seems she works in Haverfordwest. Unfortunately this separation from his stable family unit will probably be a factor here in his path to becoming an (alleged) mass-murderer. I'm sure had he been living with his family, mental deterioration/behaviour problems would have been picked up.

Having said that, the pattern of the crimes doesn't look like the type of violence that you typically see with a psychotic episode. That would usually involve people close to the person or a person they were interacting with and the psychosis causes them to become afraid that they are about to be harmed by them so they lash out.

The Nottingham murders look like a planned murderous spree to me, seeking out and attacking complete strangers, breaking into a house and then killing a poor man for his vehicle (notably choosing a van which is likely to cause more damage to people he then runs over. And of course going out with a huge machete shows intent to kill. The only purpose of these huge knives is to kill, IMO and he has presumably purchased one or more. It looked like he had a bag or a rucksack with him so perhaps there were more weapons in there or he intended to rob or burgle a home.

Graduating just last year with a degree in engineering also shows he is very unlikely to me, to have had major psychoses which would often then preclude major intellectual achievements. Although the suspect is reportedly 31, so could there have been major breaks/hospitalizations during his 20s, taking him much longer to complete his degree? Possibly. Will be very significant to see whether he held a job since uni and if he is a drug user. I hope they are conducting thorough drug testing on him,

Lastly, to me, the fact the suspect was said not to be talking to police, is quite telling. Generally, a truly psychotic person hardly ever stops talking and the type of speech is typically very odd. So at the moment, I am wondering if this is a man that just holds a lot of hatred towards others because he is not getting the rewards he thinks he deserves. I feel so sad for Nottingham which is generally a fun, friendly place and I know how terrible my sister feels along with her husband who works at the university, for all the victims and their friends and families, including the family of the suspect. Random evil slaughter of innocents just streets away from you just chills your blood.

The graduate accused of murdering three people during a knife rampage in Nottingham 'used to sit out the back of his house with his top off, smoking and drinking', according to a neighbour - as it emerged he was looking for a job.
Valdo Calocane, who is understood to be from Guinea-Bissau, West Africa, graduated from the University of Nottingham with a degree in mechanical engineering last summer.
On a jobs website, the 31-year-old described himself as having a 'strong interest in dynamics analysis, modelling and big data analytics' as well as computer programming. The profile said he was seeking full-time employment.
While he was studying, he lived a stone's throw from the stretch of Ilkeston Road where the 19-year-old victims died in the early hours of Tuesday.
Neighbour Kamran Kahn, 41, said Calocane used to spend time with an ex partner at a house on Ilkeston Road that was raided by armed officers earlier this week.

The graduate accused of murdering three people during a knife rampage in Nottingham 'used to sit out the back of his house with his top off, smoking and drinking', according to a neighbour - as it emerged he was looking for a job.
Valdo Calocane, who is understood to be from Guinea-Bissau, West Africa, graduated from the University of Nottingham with a degree in mechanical engineering last summer.
On a jobs website, the 31-year-old described himself as having a 'strong interest in dynamics analysis, modelling and big data analytics' as well as computer programming. The profile said he was seeking full-time employment.
While he was studying, he lived a stone's throw from the stretch of Ilkeston Road where the 19-year-old victims died in the early hours of Tuesday.
Neighbour Kamran Kahn, 41, said Calocane used to spend time with an ex partner at a house on Ilkeston Road that was raided by armed officers earlier this week.
Gotta love the DM's clear bias in repeatedly referring to him as from West Africa, even though he lived in the UK from the time he was seven or eight.

This seems like a some sort of mental breakdown or psychosis, but that's just speculation on my part.

All MOO.

The suspect in the Nottingham triple knife killings is a former student at the University of Nottingham named Valdo Amissão Mendes Calocane, sources have said.

Calocane, 31, was born in Guinea-Bissau and settled in Nottingham as a child, according to multiple sources.

Counter-terrorism officers are part of the investigation and electronic devices linked to the suspect – including a phone he was carrying when arrested – are being searched. Nothing yet points to an indication of an ideological motive.

He is understood to have a history of mental health issues and was previously known to police. Sources say he came to the UK legally and that from no older than seven he settled in Nottingham, where he was educated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangomitten
Back