UK UK- Annette Smith, 74, last seen carrying suitcase, poss. entered a navy blue/black estate car w. woman, Stotfold, 11/11/23, *Murder investigation*

dotr

Reaction score
By Matt Atherton, 20 Apr 2024
1713659230029.png
''A murder investigation has been launched more than five months after a 74-year-old woman disappeared, police have said.
Bedfordshire Police believes Annette Smith has not been seen since November. Ms Smith, from West Wing, Fairfield Park, near Stotfold, was last seen wearing a black and white striped cardigan and red leather slip-on shoes, the force said.
She was carrying a suitcase and is thought to have got into a navy blue or black estate car with another woman, the force added. Ms Smith was reported missing from the Stotfold area and police are now appealing for witnesses or anyone with information to come forward.''

''It is also believed Ms Smith may have connections to the West Midlands area.

Det Ch Insp Dale Mepstead, from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, said: "We have been carrying out thorough enquiries into Annette's disappearance and, based on the information that we have, we are now treating this as a murder investigation.

"We are appealing for anyone who may have spoken with or seen Annette in early November to contact us, as well as anyone who may have any information about her."

Ms Smith was last seen wearing a white and black striped cardigan and red leather slip-on shoes and was carrying a suitcase, police said.''

This went very quickly from being a missing person case to a murder investigation. I wonder what information the police have that caused this change in status.
This one's right on my doorstep but this, today, is the first time it's crossed my radar. I too wonder why it has suddenly turned into a murder investigation.

Just for background, Fairfield Park is a very exclusive development of apartments in various wings of an ex mental asylum. It is surrounded by stunning parkland and is an extremely desirable place to live.

1713699331141.png
''Detective Chief Inspector Dale Mepstead, from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, said: “We have been carrying out thorough inquiries into Annette’s disappearance and based on the information that we have, we are now treating this as a murder investigation.

“We believe that Annette was last seen on or around November 11 2023.

“We are appealing for anyone who may have spoken with or seen Annette in early November to contact us, as well as anyone who may have any information about her.”
The force asked anyone with information to contact police on 101 and quote Operation Broome.''

I wonder why there's no description of the other woman. Maybe they know who she is but no proof of anything? A daughter, carer? Annette's description is pretty detailed, you'd expect whoever saw them to have noticed at least hair colour. Was she expecting to go on a little trip with the woman? But was murdered instead.

Photos seem a bit odd - 1 looks like passport photo (great clarity of image) and the smoking one seems quite old

Also the fact last sighting was Nov - maybe estranged from family?

Yeah I wonder who reported her missing. Tlhe last sighting may have been some type of hq security camera, if it's an "extremely desirable place to live". Which also makes me wonder if she had money.
Wish they would describe the suitcase, or have they found it? I mean that would be good info for the locals if not.

Yeah I wonder who reported her missing. Tlhe last sighting may have been some type of hq security camera, if it's an "extremely desirable place to live". Which also makes me wonder if she had money.
Wish they would describe the suitcase, or have they found it? I mean that would be good info for the locals if not.
It's a gated community so there must be CCTV, if only on the gates. Given the time elapsed since she left though, it may be that the footage from that day has long been erased.

Maybe she had gone on an extended holiday with a ‘friend’ and never returned.

Direct debits not being paid, HMRC pension and other official letters not responded to, mail accumulating, ground fees going unpaid? No movement on bank accounts?

No one could make contact her. Eventually welfare visit requested by family overseas?

IMO

Photos seem a bit odd - 1 looks like passport photo (great clarity of image) and the smoking one seems quite old

Also the fact last sighting was Nov - maybe estranged from family?

The description of her clothing seemed odd to me too. A striped cardigan and red shoes. Trousers? Skirt? Top?
My first reaction was that she was only half dressed, but I guess the more likely scenario is that nobody remembers any more about her outfit from that long ago.

And they knew Exactly what she was wearing.who provided that data?
I was thinking perhaps she lived in some sort of assisted living facilty where staff knew what she usually wore and what was missing, but then I'd think she would have been reported much sooner and probably listed as "vulnerable". imo.
If the comments on FB are true (no children, relatives abroad etc) maybe she hired a private carer, or maybe some not too close family member helped her out or kept her company sometimes?
If she lived alone neighbours may not have known who that person was.
Which doesn't answer who provided the last seen date and what she was wearing. And why no description of unidentified woman.

I was thinking perhaps she lived in some sort of assisted living facilty where staff knew what she usually wore and what was missing, but then I'd think she would have been reported much sooner and probably listed as "vulnerable". imo.
If the comments on FB are true (no children, relatives abroad etc) maybe she hired a private carer, or maybe some not too close family member helped her out or kept her company sometimes?
If she lived alone neighbours may not have known who that person was.
Which doesn't answer who provided the last seen date and what she was wearing. And why no description of unidentified woman.
It's definitely not an assisted living facility - it's not even a specific retirement community, just a rather upmarket conversion and development of a Victorian asylum (I can still remember patients there - it only closed 25 years ago). Families live there as well as single professionals.

My best guess is that a neighbour saw her getting into the car and only clocked the (striking?) stripes on her cardigan and her shoes, as she got into the car - lots of older people get into cars by sitting sideways on the seat and then swinging their legs around, rather than stepping in because it's easier on creaky hips, so shoes and cardigan would perhaps be the most noticeable items of clothing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FOGLIGHTINVESTIGATIONS
Back