VERDICT WATCH UK - Constance Marten & Mark Gordon charged, Newborn (found deceased), Bolton Greater Manchester, 5 Jan 2023 #8

And me,although in all honesty I was not actually being that productive anyway!!

The Argus do say they will be continuing their blog until the verdicts come in so it does look as though something could be happening soon.

Last edited:
I guess it takes a while to assemble everyone… but it’s getting close to the end of the Old Bailey day….

Yeah, that was my thought when @Maltesepuppy said The Argus had a live blog up at 2.15 pm. It does usually take at least an hour to get everyone back to court and I have seen quite a few verdicts come in at this time of day with previous trials.

Ahead of any potential verdict jere, I just want to say Baby Victoria's life mattered... and she deserved to have it matter enough to have a warm place to live, a safe place to sleep and a future to grow into.

She was robbed of all of that. There was no altruism here.

JMO

I know I've said this before, but whoever selected a juror for this case who had a holiday booked at the 6 week mark, really needs to have a rethink in future. Anyone who follows trials knows they always over run even if just by a few days. I am sure with the full 12 they would have got the verdicts through.

In case anyone is wondering, see the judgment in R v Dunster [2021] EWCA Crim 1555 (Edis LJ, Turner J and HHJ Karu):

para.32:
"The default position remains firmly that evidence should be placed before the jury during the parties' cases and not at any other stage. It is likely that new information will only be found to be in the interests of justice at that very late stage in the case on very rare occasions and where in particular:
1. It answers a question asked by the jury;
2. It is neutral or at least incontrovertible; and
3. It is clear that a defendant is not in any way disadvantaged by the stage at which it is admitted.
"

Note: "and", not "or". Answering a jury question is insufficient.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Remsfled
Back