UK, death of an 8 month baby In a nursery, Cheadle Stockport, 9 May 2022, ‘arrests’

StillDiggin

Reaction score
Sad news from Greater Manchester Police today.

Detectives investigating the death of a baby in #Stockport have arrested two women aged 35 and 34. Just before 3.20pm on Monday, officers were called to a report of a child suffering a medical episode at a nursery on Mellor Road in Cheadle. An eight-month-old girl was taken to hospital where she sadly died the same day.

Detective Superintendent Phil Duffy, from GMP’s Stockport CID, said: “Our thoughts are very much with baby girl’s family who are understandably shocked and devastated and we’re doing everything we can to get them the answers they deserve. Since we were called, we’ve carried out a number of lines of enquiry already and now two arrests have been made as our investigation continues. This is a heartbreaking time for all those involved and we would ask that the public respect the family’s privacy at this time and avoid speculation whilst we continue to investigate.”

More here: https://crowd.in/zEpbbM

Genevieve's mother Katie Wheeler told the court she and her partner John Meehan wanted to send their daughter to another nursery, but it was full.
They eventually decided on Tiny Toes following positive comments from other parents.
She said she spoke to a man named Jonathan who introduced himself as the manager.
"I explained I was an anxious person. I asked a number of questions about safety and was reassured by Jonathan that all staff had regular first aid training," she said.
Ms Wheeler sought further reassurance when Genevieve attended a "settling-in session", although sleeping arrangements were not discussed.
She said: "I wanted to know that Gigi was being cared for, and safety in the nursery was paramount.

Dr Philip Lumb, the pathologist who carried out the baby's post-mortem examination, told the court her sleeping arrangements were "in my opinion, responsible for her death".
He said Genevieve died from a combination of "asphyxiation and the pathophysiological stress" of the sleeping environment.
The jury heard it would have been a "struggle" for Genevieve to breathe in the position she was placed in.
Dr Lumb said there were signs of grazing and reddening around her mouth and chin.
He told the jury that he believed Genevieve died from “asphyxia imparted by upper airway obstruction” and added that the stress of struggling to breathe and overheating led to her death.

She's such a liar.

"Ms Roughley, of Heaton Norris in Stockport, was seen telling the police officer she was “obviously constantly checking” the babies in her care and had gone "every three to four minutes".

She also said she had been checking more often on Genevieve as she had been poorly and was recently in hospital with bronchiolitis, a common condition in infants."

(From the BBC link above)

If it weren't for the cctv they might have believed her.

I can't imagine this loss and what the family is going through after this incident. Society puts a lot of trust in daycare providers and caregivers because we believe they have good intentions. This job is a means to an end for some people who don't care about the welfare of the children they oversee. RIP Genevieve. I pray that the family receives the justice and closure they deserve. This is truly devastating.

A nursery where a baby girl was found unresponsive and later died after being strapped face down to a beanbag for 90 minutes was "badly run", a jury has heard.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80
Back