UK, death of an 8 month baby In a nursery, Cheadle Stockport, 9 May 2022, ‘arrests’

"Her life was full of promise... and it was taken':

Devastated parents vow to

'never forgive'

nursery worker who killed their nine-month-old daughter

by strapping her face down to a bean bag before ignoring her cries for 90 minutes."

RIP sweetheart :(

1716217700249.png

People who want to work with children must have a number of qualities that are required in this type of profession.

First of all, such a person must be:
highly responsible,
extremely observant,
caring, empathetic, kind,
patient, and understanding;
in addition, divided attention is useful.

Some wrongly assume it is an easy job.
False!!!!

Working with children can be very unpredictable and specific.

Not all have the necessary skills and, above all, enormous amount of patience!!!

Why do people choose jobs which are not suitable for them?
For which they have NO predisposition?

There are hundreds of professions to choose from.

Why to suffer and make other suffer as well in an
ill-chosen job?

"Sarah Elliot KC, defending,
told the jury Roughley looked after children in a...
'no-nonsense way...'."

OMG :(

It says all (for me).

JM (teacher's) O

Last edited:
I just can not contemplate how cruel she was. I have not followed this trial closely but the details are horrific. Why didn’t someone else step in here when Gigi was crying and literally dumped in a corner with a sheet over her ? I can’t imagine the pain her parents and family feel now. I would never recover from it.

Also,
the victim's parents are lawyers.

I bet this is not the end of this horrific case.

I guess the management of this nursery might face the music for appalling conditions they tolerated there.
C'mon!
2 workers for 11 children?? :oops:

In my country:
Version from: March 8, 2024

A daily caregiver takes care of a maximum of five children,
and if the group includes a child who:
is under one year of age,
(9 months here)
is disabled or requires special care
(in this case asthma)
a maximum of three children.

I don't think standards in the UK are much different.

JMO

Last edited:
Also,
the victim's parents are lawyers.

I bet this is not the end of this horrific case.

I guess the management of this nursery might face the music for appalling conditions they tolerated there.
C'mon!
2 workers for 11 children?? :oops:

In my country:
Version from: March 8, 2024

A daily caregiver takes care of a maximum of five children,
and if the group includes a child who:
is under one year of age,
(9 months here)
is disabled or requires special care
(in this case asthma)
a maximum of three children.

I don't think standards in the UK are much different.

JMO
I am afraid I don’t think the standards in the UK are as good as what you just described but I could be wrong.

There is always a rotten apple in every walk of life in every profession sadly.
I am sure 99.9 per cent of people working in all aspects of child care are equally as horrified as we are.

"Caring façade of killer nursery worker:

Smiling with a thank you sign next to the children she cared for,

Kate Roughley, 37,

appeared every inch the happy childcare worker

but years later her disregard for safety led to baby's death.

The mother of one of Roughley's best friends and colleagues at Tiny Toes called for the nursery's owners to be held accountable.

The woman hit out at what she claimed was severe understaffing, with two staff looking after nine babies
when they were supposed to care for only three each.

The woman, whose daughter worked with Roughley for a number of years, said:

'They were there day after day looking after ten babies between the two of them and they were only supposed to have three.
They were young girls and they have been screwed now.

'I believe the evidence but she was put under so much pressure in the nursery that the nursery needs to be accountable.

What Kate has done is wrong, fair enough,
but the nursery needs to be held accountable now'.

During the trial,
jurors heard how Genevieve Meehan's devastated parents sought assurances
'safety was paramount'
before sending their baby daughter to nursery for the first time –
only weeks before her death.

'I wanted to know that Genevieve would be cared for'."

So, the standards ARE the same.
3 children per 1 worker.

Last edited:
Here are the statutory staffing requirements. It looks like they fell significantly short on staffing levels (and I'd love to know if the qualifications thresholds were met).

https://www.twinkl.co.uk/teaching-wiki/eyfs-ratios#:~:text=Children aged two:-,There must be at least one member of staff for,an approved level 3 qualification.

Nurseries are subject to inspections by Ofsted but only every 6 years, which seems like a long time IMO. This nursery had a "Good" report status in 2017 but was obviously wholly inadequate (MOO) less than 5 years later.
Tiny Toes Children's Day Nursery - Closed - Find an Inspection Report - Ofsted

If I were Gigi's parents, I would be pushing for yearly, unannounced, inspections to all childcare provision, as well as suing the owners. Parents need to know that the people and places they entrust their precious children to are safe, and closely monitored by an independent authority.
JMO

Surely the owners/management of this place should also be held accountable for allowing such atrocious staffing practices.They would be here (Australia). Even if she'd done it, if they had more staff she would have been pulled up on it or the baby checked more frequently. Also it boggles the mind allowing babies to sleep on a bean bag wtf? That just wouldn't happen here, do UK early childhood services not have something like our safe sleep standards?

Ok so after reading some more, EYFS Statutory Framework was absolutely breached in the use of this bean bag bed. That's the fault of management, 100%. Staff don't buy those.

As for inspections, 6 yearly is obviously not enough. Staff and managment and culture can change so much in 6 years. Especially if there's no system of unannounced spot checks (both random and based on complaints/feedback).

Ok so after checking, they will do unannounced extra checks but it sounds like only if there are complaints they deem serious enough. I've worked at centres here in Australia where we've gotten several spot checks a month based on relatively minor complaints (eg: "the edges of the planter boxes are too sharp" or "I saw a cockroach"). I think they need to step that up.

ETA I doubt Roughley began her career thinking this would be the way it would end. She needed to check out of this profession a long time ago. Its unfortunate - working with children shouldn't be stressful, but the way these services are run makes it extremely difficult and high pressure, but obviously thats never ever a reason to take it out on a baby. Literally better to just walk out and walk away than let it get to this.

Last edited:

What is "professional burnout"?

We talk about burnout when work no longer gives the employee satisfaction,
becomes burdensome,
and is a source of tension, stress and frustration.

The reason for this is often:
- overwork,
- the burden of constant contact with people,
- responsibility
- difficult conditions.

It may also be the result of boredom
after many years of monotonously performing the same duties.

"Professional burnout",
also known as
"burnout syndrome"

occurs when work stops giving satisfaction,

the worker stops developing professionally,
feels overworked and dissatisfied with the job she/he once enjoyed.

I guess this is what happened here.

But, OF COURSE, it is NOT an EXCUSE for criminal negligence!

JMO

Last edited:

A second woman who worked at a nursery where a nine-month-old baby was killed has been charged with neglect, police have confirmed.

Rebecca Gregory, 25, of Pearl Street in Stockport has been charged in relation to alleged offences at Tiny Toes nursery in April 2022, Greater Manchester Police said.

The force said the four charges of child neglect were not related to the death of Genevieve Meehan in May 2022.

:eek:

A second woman who worked at a nursery where a nine-month-old baby was killed has been charged with neglect, police have confirmed.

Rebecca Gregory, 25, of Pearl Street in Stockport has been charged in relation to alleged offences at Tiny Toes nursery in April 2022, Greater Manchester Police said.

The force said the four charges of child neglect were not related to the death of Genevieve Meehan in May 2022.

So related to neglect of other babies, not Genevieve?

Why is there a French flag on the building?
Apart from British?
Is it a bilingual nursery/kindergarten?

1716304836076.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member