UK UK - Gillian Affleck, 50, orig from Irvine, Scot., disappeared from Brighton, E. Sx, 24 Aug 2017

MsMiniSleuth

Reaction score
6855692.jpg

SEP 2017

POLICE have launched an appeal to find a missing Irvine woman who vanished four weeks ago.

Gillian Affleck, who was originally from Irvine, disappeared from her home in Brighton on Thursday, August 24.

The 50-year-old is described as 5ft 6in or medium build, with shoulder length brown hair.

She was last seen wearing a thin blue or grey top with three-quarter length sleeves, a grey ‘stone’ effect Peter Storm waterproof jacket, brown ankle boots, a knitted grey scarf and was carrying a large grey Karriemor rucksack.

Gillian’s family and friends have taken to social media to plead with the public for information.

Speaking last week, Gillian’s cousin Elizabeth McCrindle said: “Three weeks today since Gillian went missing from her home in Brighton.

Despite thousands of shares from family, friends and caring strangers there’s still no news.

Gillian your loved and missed by everyone who knows you please just call to let us know your safe.”

If you have any information on Gillian please report online or call 101 quoting reference 1219 of 24/08.

Police appeal to find missing Irvine woman

OCT 2017

MYSTERY surrounds the disappearance of a woman who vanished back in August after saying she was going for a walk.

Gillian Affleck went missing from her Patcham home 44 days ago and to date police have followed up on 300 leads.

However, they are no closer to finding the 50-year-old who worked for Legal and General at the company’s Hove office.

Her partner Martina Walton, 44, has told of her heartbreak and has appealed to anyone with information to come forward.

Miss Walton said she hasn’t slept properly since her partner of eight years vanished from their quaint cottage on August 24.

She said: “You think the worst and hope for the best. You think of everything you can possibly imagine. I haven’t really slept well since, and didn’t sleep particularly well the night she disappeared.

“I am just hoping she would knock on the door.”

Miss Walton said she last spoke to Gill on the morning of August 24 as she made her way from her native Essex to Brighton. But when she arrived home the former emergency medical technician for London Ambulance found a note from Gillian to say she had gone for a walk, which was not uncommon.

She said Gill enjoyed walking had been going on regular walks in Patcham Place and Horsdean recreation grounds to clear her head in the few weeks before her disappearance.

She had recently suffered a bout of depression.

But Gill never returned home, and some 44 days have passed since her disappearance with no hint of her whereabouts.

Miss Walton added: “The police have done everything they can and followed up more than 300 leads, which include contacting hotels, hospitals, and other places, but they have hit a brick wall.

“There is so little to go on because she didn’t have her mobile phone and she left with no clothes.

“It has had a huge impact. I am worried everyday, and with every day that passes it gets more and more difficult. It is so distressing not knowing, and that’s the worst thing.”

Gill is 5ft 6in, of medium build and has shoulder-length brown hair.

She was last seen wearing a thin blue or grey three-quarter-length sleeve top, a grey stone effect Peter Storm waterproof jacket, brown ankle boots, a knitted grey scarf and was carrying a large grey Karrimor rucksack.

Gill, who has lived in Brighton since 2002, has links to her native Scotland.

Woman vanished after telling her partner she had gone for a walk

MAY 2018

The partner of a Brighton woman who left home more than seven months ago and never returned says she still hopes she will be found safe and well.

Gillian Affleck, 50, went missing from her home in Patcham on 24 August last year, with no money and has not accessed her bank account or phone since.

Her partner Martina Walton has urged anyone who sees her or knows where she is to let her or the police know.

Ms Walton, her partner of ten years, said: “She’s very happy, very easy to talk to. She was very happy go lucky and very laid back and this is why this is so out of the blue, to become so unhappy so quickly.

“We first found out on 24 August. She went out and didn’t return home. It’s completely out of character. She had become very depressed, but nothing like that had happened before.

“I try to think that nothing bad has happened. It’s difficult because she hasn’t accessed her bank account and I know she left with no money, so it’s difficult to know what has happened.”

Seven months on, partner of missing Brighton woman still holds out hope of her return

JUNE 2019

Gillian Affleck was 50 when she disappeared from Patcham, Brighton in August 2017.

She said she was going for a walk and asked her partner Martina Walton to call her on her phone, which was found to be switched off and hasn’t been used since she went missing.

She didn’t take any clothes with her and her bank card has not been used either.

Martina, Gill’s partner, said: “Gill has been missing for nearly two years. Two years of not knowing if Gill is safe or alive. It’s very difficult to be able to think that Gill has been missing for this amount of time, and yet nobody has seen or heard from Gill.

“Every day I wake up thinking and hoping will this be the day that I will hear something, find Gill has been found. Will I spot Gill in a crowd, in the street?

“This has been the hardest two years of my life.

“I will always continue to hope that Gill will be found somewhere, or she will come home..."

‘This has been the hardest two years of my life’ – East Sussex families plea for their loved ones to return home

6855692.jpg

SEP 2017

POLICE have launched an appeal to find a missing Irvine woman who vanished four weeks ago.

Gillian Affleck, who was originally from Irvine, disappeared from her home in Brighton on Thursday, August 24.

The 50-year-old is described as 5ft 6in or medium build, with shoulder length brown hair.

She was last seen wearing a thin blue or grey top with three-quarter length sleeves, a grey ‘stone’ effect Peter Storm waterproof jacket, brown ankle boots, a knitted grey scarf and was carrying a large grey Karriemor rucksack.

Gillian’s family and friends have taken to social media to plead with the public for information.

Speaking last week, Gillian’s cousin Elizabeth McCrindle said: “Three weeks today since Gillian went missing from her home in Brighton.

Despite thousands of shares from family, friends and caring strangers there’s still no news.

Gillian your loved and missed by everyone who knows you please just call to let us know your safe.”

If you have any information on Gillian please report online or call 101 quoting reference 1219 of 24/08.

Police appeal to find missing Irvine woman
Carrying a large rucksack suggests that Gillian Afflek was planning on some kind of journey. This could possibly involve hitchhiking or walking across the country side. Where was the last place Gillian was sighted and was this a confirmed CCTV sighting.

Sometimes when people go missing they want to go back to somewhere familiar.
Irvine, Scotland is quite a large area so trying to narrow things down a bit. Does anyone know the exact sort of area in Irvine where Gillian came from originally.

The is a map showing the general area in Brighton where Gillian went missing from
upload_2021-10-18_16-45-17.png

Are there any trees/wooded areas on these recreation grounds where she liked to walk?

I find it interesting that there is an appeal for Gillian in the news today, Brighton and hove police, ITV news website. This isn’t an anniversary appeal. Is it possible a tip has come in ?

#APPEAL | It is more than five years since Gillian Affleck was reported missing from Brighton, but the investigation into her disappearance continues.

Gillian was last seen at her home in Patcham on August 23, 2017.

She had gone out for a walk but did not return home, before being reported as missing on August 24.

Police have been searching tirelessly for Gillian since that day and, just over five years on, are once again appealing for any information which could help locate her.

At the time of her disappearance Gillian was described as being 50 years old, white, 5'6", of medium build and with shoulder-length brown hair.

She would now be 54 years old.

She was last seen wearing a thin blue or grey 3/4 length sleeve top, a grey 'stone' effect Peter Storm waterproof jacket, brown ankle boots, a knitted grey scarf and carrying a small grey Karrimor rucksack.

PC AJ Funnell, of Brighton and Hove’s Missing Persons Team, said: “When Gillian was reported missing five years ago an investigation was immediately launched into her disappearance, and our commitment to finding her has not dimmed.

“Anybody who has any information which could help with the investigation, no matter how small you may feel it is, please report it to us online or by calling 101."

It did say she was suffering from a bout of depression, so I don't think this is anything other than suicide, sadly.

But the how and the where will be difficult to find out now. Did she stay around the Sussex area? The famous suicide spot of Beachy Head isn't too far away. Or maybe she did try to return home to Scotland?

I think a bigger push to have found CCTV when she first went missing would've been better.

Brighton train station would've been a good place to look for footage. There are many trains straight to London every day, almost hourly, and from London she could've gone practically anywhere.

MOO.

While case appears straightforward I am a bit confused by some conflicting news information out there. Some news reports state she was last seen on 23rd August, and some on 24th. I assume though that phone conversation with her in the morning on 24th August is correct and she was still ok at that time. Some articles state that she did not take phone with her and others state that she did but phone was turned off. Some state that she was with her partner for 8 years, and some 10 years. Not too important detail but still would be good to know what is correct.

No news article state if she showed up for work that day or not or when she was last seen by her collegues or any 3rd party. 24th Aug was on Thursday. If she went to work on the day that would likely mean she went for walk late afternoon or evening. If she ever did. No news article state around what time her partner actually arrived and saw the note. Why leave paper note for partner who was away and travelling home rather than text or wait for them to greet them? Does anyone still writes paper notes appart of random post in notes on fridge?

While it is stated that police were great help and followed lots of leads, there are no reports out there if her cottage was ever searched or if there were ever official on ground searches for her anywhere. None in 5 years? Or just not reported on?

Just my scattered thoughts and basic questions I would love answers to.

This week is the birthday of Gillian Affleck.
Gillian was 50 when she went missing from #Patcham, #Sussex, on 24 August 2017.

Our thoughts go out to Gillian and her loved ones today.

To help #findGillianAffleck, please share her appeal and report any sightings to us.

Screenshot_20230808-163129_Facebook-01.jpeg

It is six years today since Gillian Affleck went missing, please keep her family and friends in your thoughts

ANNIVERSARY APPEAL - GILLIAN AFFLECK

Gillian Affleck was 50yrs old when she went missing on 24 August 2017 from Patcham in Sussex after leaving a note saying she had gone for a walk. She is originally from the county of Ayrshire and has lived in Brighton since 2002 but still has links to her native Scotland.

Gillian is 5ft 6in, of medium build with brown shoulder-length brown hair at the time of her disappearance. She was last seen wearing a grey stone effect Peter Storm waterproof jacket, a thin blue or grey three-quarter length sleeve top with brown ankle boots and a knitted grey scarf. It is also believed she was carrying a large grey Karrimor rucksack.

If you have any information, please contact Sussex Police on 101 quoting reference 1219 of 24/08. If you are phoning from Scotland, please contact Greater Glasgow Police Division on 101 or use their online reporting service.

Alternatively phone/text Missing People 24/7 helpline on 116 000 or email 116000@missingpeople.org.uk quoting reference 17-004665. Sightings and information about any missing person can also be given anonymously through the Missing People website at Sightings and giving information - Missing People.

#FindGillianAffleck #MissingPersonsSupport

Sussex Police had an article on Gillian their website on the 10th April this year , but for some reason they've deleted it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Engeluc
Back