UK - James Bulger, 2, abducted & murdered, Merseyside, 12 Feb 1993

Somebody has got to put 2 and 2 together and realize the resemblance between this groom and and the child killer. There are pics of this guy all over the internet as a child.

What a devastating secret. He may have a new identity but he does not have a new life. He should have told her his dark secret.

God forbid they have any children.

I cannot help but wonder, did his parents change their last name as well? You cannot totally hide your identity if your family still has the name. Venables is not a super common last name is it?

Speaking of pictures, someone has also done age progessions of how Venables and Thompson might look today. Just Google "Jon Venables" and "age progression".

That's an interesting point about the parents. I would think the parents (and siblings, grandparents, etc.) kept their own names. I wonder if they're allowed to have contact with their parents. It was also mentioned that they changed their accents. Perhaps they tell new friends that they were adopted or something along those lines?

I would hope that the fiancee meets the parents, finds out their name is Venables, and puts two and two together...

I don't recall if the terms of their probation included not being around children. I somehow doubt it.
With all the covering up thats been done for them I doubt it too South.....it would be a bit hard to explain to the new wife why he cant walk past the local kindergarten.

This is from when they were still in custody:

Thompson's fears [of retaliation] are not only for himself but also for his family, especially his mother. Ann Thompson has changed her name and moved house several times, but has always remained close to the unit where her son is held. She visits him regularly, as do some of his brothers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/01/09/nbulg409.xml

This is interesting too:

Jon Venables, like Robert Thompson, was sent to a therapy-based secure unit in England to serve out his sentence. Unlike Robert, however, Jon was given a separate identity to use within the unit during the days of the trial, and was not made to disclose the actual offense for which he was being held at Red Bank until later in his stay. This was thought by some involved with the case to be an obstructive measure in relation to Jon’s rehabilitation, as it would have only enabled his unwillingness to face up to the crime. In any case, by all outside appearances, Jon’s trauma was much more evident than Robert’s, and he experienced enormous guilt and horror over his role in the murder from the onset.

http://www.angelfire.com/nb/tears_in_heaven/what_now.html

Much more at link...

Thanks for that link Gina......did you ever read the book about this case....I did but I cant remember the name of it.......Ill never forget little James and what those monsters put him through:(

I never read a book about them but I did read the article at the Crime Library website. Unbelievable what they did to poor James. They are paying for it though, for the rest of their lives - according to the articles I've read today, they're always looking over their shoulders, and Venables did seem to be very remorseful. I still think his fiancee deserves to know the truth.

So do I Gina.....the marriage is going to be one big lie.....lets hope he suffers from nightmares and does a bit of talking in his sleep.
Every mothers nightmare is the name of one of the books written on this case....it was a heartbreaking read.

Oh yeah, and interestingly, the articles I've been reading are saying that children who kill are unlikely to kill again. Also -

Perhaps ironically, Robert was also said to be “protective of younger inmates,” and in an article written for the Daily Post by journalist Mark Thomas, Leon McEwan, one of the teenagers housed with Robert at Barton Moss, confirmed this, saying: “He got into a big fight once after he caught one of the lads bullying a young boy in there. I thought it was weird, considering what he did to James, but he always looked out for the younger boys in there.”

from that same link http://www.angelfire.com/nb/tears_in_heaven/what_now.html

Perhaps he was truly remorseful and this was his way of trying to compensate or atone for what he'd done in some way.

So do I Gina.....the marriage is going to be one big lie.....lets hope he suffers from nightmares and does a bit of talking in his sleep.
Every mothers nightmare is the name of one of the books written on this case....it was a heartbreaking read.

Yeah, I don't see how anyone could keep that bottled up inside.
Thanks, I think I'll check out that book.

No worries mate
It was a horrid crime. Just makes me wonder though, that officials are all for these guys not revealing who they really are and what they have done, so what Im wondering is, if these guys will keep on telling lies about who they are, the fiancee is going to want to know about his childhood, his life before he met her. Once you have told a lie, you have to keep telling lies, so I think the truth will come out, and could cause more problems for everyone involved.

I think he has been with this girl for a few years so he must have a very good cover story or she is very niave.

I think he has been with this girl for a few years so he must have a very good cover story or she is very niave.
I think the bride would have to be in denial or naive as you say Dingo, but you cant live a lie, it would eat you up inside if you had true remorse for what you did. To keep what they did from those close to them is morally wrong, I hope his fiancee finds out the truth because if she finds out after their marriage, the marriage would surely fail, as you would never be able to believe anything he said.

Ok everyone...let's all get a lesson outta this:

ALWAYS, ALWAYS "GOOGLE" YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER.

I read an article on these two around about the time they were released from detention....the story stated that the pair had some sort of speech therpist helping them to lose their accent......its was also said that the two were sent directly to another country upon their release..Australia was named as the country but who knows where these two could be.
Not unlike Britain to dump its problems :sick: in the 'colonies'..
I feel for this woman...she should know what she is hooked up too..
While she may choose to still love this guy at least she deserves to know...

I am not defending criminals, BUT

This "child`s" crime was terrible, just terrible. But he served his time, I am sure he had mental health counselling and is free to live his life and marry whomever he wants. He has a new life, new name, new town.

Unless there is compelling evidence that he would harm his wife(domestic assault) or harm another child or has harmed another child since his release, it is his choice to disclose his past or not.

There has been great pains taken to ensure his safety and privacy. What if the future wife goes to the press for real or imagined revenge.

There are some men who have extensive current and criminal pasts, and they marry a women with kids. One day suddenly she `disappears`and upon further disclosure his previous wife disappear just a few years earlier.

Or a women marries a man and knows about his past for violence against women and chooses to marry him anyway.

Or a rich husband, a great marriage, oh but when the time for Divorce comes he hires hit men to kill her to save money.

Or a seemingly mild manner fertilizer salesman who decides he wants the single life and kills his wife and unborn child.

The murder of Jamie was in 1993 and now it is 14 years later. Both the boys went from being 10 to being 24 and were released and there was no concern for public safety.

How would a person feel if they committed a `horrible`crime when they were mere children of 10, served their sentence, attempt to integrate into society, and then they have all of those efforts derailed by the disclosure of their past.

This women loves his man, I very much doubt that any disclosure will change that, he did not harm his own children, nor was he deemed to be a future risk to children. So I really do not feel it is in the interests of society nor the wife to know of a terrible crime when this now grown man was a child of 10.

This "child`s" crime was terrible, just terrible. But he served his time, I am sure he had mental health counselling and is free to live his life and marry whomever he wants. He has a new life, new name, new town.

Unless there is compelling evidence that he would harm his wife(domestic assault) or harm another child or has harmed another child since his release, it is his choice to disclose his past or not.

There has been great pains taken to ensure his safety and privacy. What if the future wife goes to the press for real or imagined revenge.

There are some men who have extensive current and criminal pasts, and they marry a women with kids. One day suddenly she `disappears`and upon further disclosure his previous wife disappear just a few years earlier.

Or a women marries a man and knows about his past for violence against women and chooses to marry him anyway.

Or a rich husband, a great marriage, oh but when the time for Divorce comes he hires hit men to kill her to save money.

Or a seemingly mild manner fertilizer salesman who decides he wants the single life and kills his wife and unborn child.

The murder of Jamie was in 1993 and now it is 14 years later. Both the boys went from being 10 to being 24 and were released and there was no concern for public safety.

How would a person feel if they committed a `horrible`crime when they were mere children of 10, served their sentence, attempt to integrate into society, and then they have all of those efforts derailed by the disclosure of their past.

This women loves his man, I very much doubt that any disclosure will change that, he did not harm his own children, nor was he deemed to be a future risk to children. So I really do not feel it is in the interests of society nor the wife to know of a terrible crime when this now grown man was a child of 10.

You said it better than I could have, CyberLaw. I actually agree with everything you've written but was too tired and chicken to post it last night!

I was heartbroken by this crime (and still am), but believe that these boys deserve their anonymity and that it is their choice (as it is for all of us) who and what they tell about their lives.

I agree to an extent, and maybe I could feel the same if Denise Bulger could forgive them. She has not, and can not, so I don't feel that I can either. That's my opinion of course. As for serving their time, I don't feel those boys served the amount of they deserved and they were rewarded with money and new lives they never would have had if they had not killed James.
I am sorry, forgiveness and understanding is something I do not have for Robert and Jon.

I read a great book on the case a few years back, it was a new release then, I'll have to check on the name. I don't have the book anymore, but it was a great read with a lot of pictures.

I believe it is the right of any prospective spouse to be informed of any significant information which might impact his or her decision to marry. I think a previous murder murder would definitely fall under that heading!

In the States and in Australia (if that's where he is), Consealment is a grounds for annulment

"Concealment (e.g. one of the parties concealed a drug addiction, prior criminal record or having a sexually transmitted disease)"
http://www.thinkingaustralia.com/thinking_australia/wikipedia/default.php?title=Annulled

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazy_visitor
Back